Picture of the Royal Balconies

Psychedout

I am sure you will LOVE the Coral.

We never considered HAL until 5 years ago. We are pretty young for HAL, but happen to be a perfect fit for the newer ships, the NA and The Eurodam. The Cabanas are amazing and Tamarind the Pan-Asian restaurant is absolutely great.

Princess is great, but I really feel good about canceling our suite after seeing these photos.

If you head over to the HAL board we will share with you the best cabins. You will prob like the MDR menus for room service, and sofas and bathtubs in obstructed OV and above.

We are not loyal to any line, we pick our ships for the onboard amenities (paid and free) & cabin experience... Any line can be a good fit for us. It just all depends...

We have never looked at HAL, is the age demographic older than Princess?

Edited by Julia’s Journey’s

We have never looked at HAL' date=' is the age demographic older than Princess?[/quote']

Depends on the ship and itinerary, but lets say for example:

a 7 night Caribbean on the NA and Eurodam, we fit in fine 5 years ago and every year since then, lol. The ages are varied.

a 7 night on the Voldendam, the crowd is much older.

So, it all depends...

We like the two newest ships for the hand dipped ice cream free in the lido, the concierge lounge, suite perks, the cabanas on the ship and Tamarind.

Princess is great, be we are loyal to no one. For longer cruises, we are looking to NCL Haven Getaway, in an Aft Haven Suite, after our 14 day Nieuw Amsterdam. We do a couple short cruises a year on anything and everything.

Edited by surfergirle

Our TA heard from Princess today that our M207 MF is 36 square feet and the deluxe balconies are 45 sq ft. See attached for the room diagram comparisons. These sketches are way off as others already noted, compare the size of sofas - the deluxe balcony one looks like an arm chair :D

Anyhow - we decided to stick with the MF, works out at 8 bucks extra p/p p/day more in total over a 10 day sailing compared to DF and even though you get 9sq ft less of a balcony - you do get obviously more inside space, a free glass of champagne and a bath tub - that's enough of a deal maker for us :cool:

976305335_Minisuiteversusdeluxe.jpg.38484516f8ef21ffe31efce4922cf365.jpg

Edited by aclay
MF = 36 not 46sqft

That balcony is what is called a "french balcony" on the river ships... basically a sliding door that opens to the sea..

This and the lack of an open, uncovered dining deck off the Horizon Court are deal breakers for us.

Our TA heard from Princess today that our M207 MF is 36 square feet and the deluxe balconies are 45 sq ft. See attached for the room diagram comparisons. These sketches are way off as others already noted, compare the size of sofas - the deluxe balcony one looks like an arm chair :D

Anyhow - we decided to stick with the MF, works out at 8 bucks extra p/p p/day more in total over a 10 day sailing compared to DF and even though you get 9sq ft less of a balcony - you do get obviously more inside space, a free glass of champagne and a bath tub - that's enough of a deal maker for us :cool:

In one of the videos I saw, it was a sofa shaped arm chair... Bathtub def a deal breaker for us. I agree completely. The price is def right...

When sailing out of the east coast, we have decided it either must be a full suite, or a mini suite on PCL...

Because on HAL (we only do the two newest ships) we can have a sofa, a tub, ( in obstructed OV and above), MDR room service for breakfast and dinner, and unlimited wine policy.

For cabins with a balcony, room service, from MDR with fine china and white linens, course by course, or all the same time. Ice cream is always served later... No additional charge.

So if we can not get all of the above, we have decided its a mini suite or full suite to make up for it.

Now this is not including a short 3-4 day sailing out of LA... On that kind of trip we will take any cabin on any ship of the dates and prices are right! lol.

Edited by surfergirle

YAY! It will be so great to see you again!

Jeannie!!

:confused:Are you and Greg going on the Nov. 29th Emerald cruise?!!!! Did I miss you posting over on our Roll Call? If so.......:D.YIPPPPEEEEE....it will be great to see both of you on the Emerald again.

Jeannie!!

:confused:Are you and Greg going on the Nov. 29th Emerald cruise?!!!! Did I miss you posting over on our Roll Call? If so.......:D.YIPPPPEEEEE....it will be great to see both of you on the Emerald again.

Just posted, after I saw this thread. Let's chat there. Can't wait to see you both either!

With all this talk of HAL, I think we are going to have to give them a try. We aren't loyal to any particular cruise line. Our last two cruises were on Oceania and Windstar (first time for both of those). Our next cruises are with Princess - but not on their newer ships.

With all this talk of HAL, I think we are going to have to give them a try. We aren't loyal to any particular cruise line. Our last two cruises were on Oceania and Windstar (first time for both of those). Our next cruises are with Princess - but not on their newer ships.

I think you would love HAL, if you love Princess. However we only do the two newest ships.

We are hoping they put a retractable roof on at least one pool on the Regal, and fix the balconette issue so we can sail her...

We would love to cruise on Oceania, but with the lack of a retractable roof pool I refuse to do a TA...

They would be perfect for the Caribbean, however I like a retractable roof on at least one pool for that as well (that is another reason we cancelled the Royal) as well, and most importantly, I cannot keep up! I need at least 2 sea days on a 7 day cruise to be rested and happy. It looks fun, but I wouldnt be able to hack it and DH would be upset if we were at a port and I didn't want to go ashore...

We really did want to try Oceania. The TA would have been a perfect fit with all of the sea days, but you never know with weather, so the retractable roof is a must for us.

Everyone knows what they are looking for, its about finding the right ship to match that.

Edited by surfergirle

One reason I cancelled my December cruise on Royal was because of the size of the balcony. I do see that this is going to be a new trend to maximize on board revenue. Guests do not spend money when sitting on their balcony. The new smaller size may encourage guests to spend less time on them.

Guests do not spend money when sitting on their balcony. The new smaller size may encourage guests to spend less time on them.

It will encourage us to spend less time on the ship, lots less.:eek:

Mike:)

We have never looked at HAL, is the age demographic older than Princess?
It's hard to compare since their largest ships are about the size of the Coral/Island. Younger people tend not to book smaller ships. In my experience, I'd say the average age is older but I've met and cruised with active people no matter what the age. I've seen a lot more elderly on the R/T Princess cruises out of LA.

FWIW, here is a photo of my deck 5 aft "Superior verandah" (not a suite) on both the Zuiderdam and the Oosterdam. We liked the cabin and balcony so much that we booked a partial Panama Canal cruise just for the cabin. It wasn't that expensive. I'd book it again in a heartbeat.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372380700.039663.jpg.f07e9f598176b5539fbc9c8b6754cfe6.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372380923.388091.jpg.72b0827a3dfa7b91f856edee941bdca1.jpg

It's hard to compare since their largest ships are about the size of the Coral/Island. Younger people tend not to book smaller ships. In my experience, I'd say the average age is older but I've met and cruised with active people no matter what the age. I've seen a lot more elderly on the R/T Princess cruises out of LA.

FWIW, here is a photo of my deck 5 aft "Superior verandah" (not a suite) on both the Zuiderdam and the Oosterdam. We liked the cabin and balcony so much that we booked a partial Panama Canal cruise just for the cabin. It wasn't that expensive. I'd book it again in a heartbeat.

[ATTACH]276976[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]276977[/ATTACH]

That looks lovely. We relish the tranquillity of sitting on our balcony when we want a break from the busy life onboard and this looks like heaven!

Princess really needs to fix the drawings of the suites. Extremely deceiving as so few look like the drawing

I think many people (including yours truly) were more upset by the drawing showing the balcony bigger than it is, than with the size itself. This is not to say that I'm not disappointed in the size of it, but to find out that it is half the size of the balcony we had on a Princess cruise last year when the drawing shows two chairs SIDE BY SIDE on the balcony, was a huge punch in the gut. Feels like I've been had. I'm sure we'll figure out how to enjoy our balcony, but still....

Ann

• 1 month later...

I am still on the fence about cancelling my ROYAL cruise.i have a HC BALCONY and would love to hear from anyone who has sailed with a wheelchair and used the balcony. concerned about having enough room to maneuver wheelchair. I am 80/20 for cancelling.

We were in HC cabin B301...although this was an upgrade and neither DH or I are in a wheelchair, my late Mother was in a wheelchair so i am well aware of the issues. There is a small ramp to get our onto the balcony, and then a little pop up ramp to allow you to get smoothly onto the balcony. Once out there, I do not think you could easily maneuver, as it is 46" wide. The cabin itself is wonderful including a shower that is probably 4-5' square with hand held shower, a bench that foods down and no lip around the shower, only drains. I spoke with a lovely lady who was confined to a wheelchair, a frequent cruiser, and she said the HC cabins on the Royal we're the best she has had on a cruise ship.

we have cabin D303 cat BB which appears to be the same as what you had. I am not concerned about the cabin. I am concerned about the balcony. so now I am 85/15 to cancel. have time to contemplate and hopefully a cruiser who actually used a wheelchair can contribute to what I have learned. not cruising till December.

The size of the balconies on the Royal is stunning. It simply boggles the mind to think that something that size is considered an extravagance worthy of paying who knows how much more than the next lower class of cabin.

I can't even imagine thinking of doing an UBD or a Balcony Breakfast out there.

Problem is that the next grade down on Royal is an inside!!!

Problem is that the next grade down on Royal is an inside!!!

I almost booked the Royal Princess for next year's Med cruise, but now I'll stick with Celebrity, what were they thinking, that we wouldn't notice the minuscule Julliettes. I spend a lot of time on the balconies. I just hope it's not a trend.

What a shame it sounds like such a lovely ship otherwise. :confused:

I have sailed the Royal and would not describe the standard size balconies as "juliettes". We had no trouble whatsoever sitting outside enjoying the views...

If the desire is strong enough to actually want to cruise Royal Princess, someone will do enough research to see that there are balconies larger than the 'standard size' for this class of ship. Just like I see absolutely nothing in the Solstice-class fleet of ships that really appeals to me at all, there will be those whose decisions revolve entirely around having a large balcony. Are there balconies on Royal Princess big enough to play tennis? No. Are there balconies big enough for four people to relax and enjoy a glass of wine before dinner? Yes. But there may be a premium for these larger balconies, something that someone may not be willing to pay. I think calling the Royal Princess standard balconies 'Juliettes' or mocking them as being nothing more than a French balcony 'ledge' is obviously an over-exaggerated hyperbole. Several of our Cruise Critic members have come back from their cruise showing that they had an amazing and wonderful time on Royal Princess even with a smaller balcony, yourself included. But if having a large balcony is important, and cruising on Royal Princess is equally important enough to someone, they'll 'find' the balcony that will suit their needs.

. Several of our Cruise Critic members have come back from their cruise showing that they had an amazing and wonderful time on Royal Princess even with a smaller balcony, yourself included. But if having a large balcony is important, and cruising on Royal Princess is equally important enough to someone, they'll 'find' the balcony that will suit their needs.

all due respect to Sunsetbeachgal...I think your expectations of a balcony that you pay $7000 for may be a little different than when you're upgraded from an inside for free.