Flights home from Vancouver

betmust

What is the earliest you have ever booked a flight home?

In 2008 Princess booked us on a flight for 10:30am. Made it no problem. Our flight will be Vancouver to Toronto and Toronto into Boston. I am looking at 11am. I will do luggage express and self disembark. If I don't do this flight the others will be overnight flights which I hate or staying overnight in Vancouver and flying out early in the morning.

So what is the earliest you have made it to Vancouver airport??

Thanks

In the end it depends how much stress you can handle. I prefer Noon to give extra time.

Just remember you need to clear immigration at the airport and security. Sometimes the process is very quick and sometimes it is not.

Keith

In the end it depends how much stress you can handle. I prefer Noon to give extra time.

Just remember you need to clear immigration at the airport and security. Sometimes the process is very quick and sometimes it is not.

Keith

Quite true. Our first Alaska cruise (flying out of Vancouver to LA) we just zipped through security (no line) and immigration (about 3 minutes). Our last one - security took 1/2 hour while immigration was one hour and 10 minutes in line.

Self disembarking is the only way to go with an early flight. Sky Train is efficient, or head right to the cab line. Cruise ship days, have more "traffic" at Vancouver airport, no way to predict how much time it will take. I've been over a couple hours in line.

The OP is looking for positive responses, which they will get. Depends on the risks they are willing to take. Hope all goes well.

Keith

I think the OP will clear US Immigration in the Toronto airport, but am not 100% certain of that.

OP -- I echo others' sentiments about the stress level. It'll be fine IF everything goes fine, but for me, even flying domestically out of Vancouver, I choose a 1 pm-ish flight. (I cannot tell you how stressful it was for the last 5 hours of a cruise that was late getting back to Tampa, right up until we actually got onboard the plane at 2:30..... I don't ever want to end a vacation that way again if it can be avoided ;) )

With a Vancouver - Toronto - Boston flight you will clear customs in Toronto so it will be a domesitc flight out of YVR. If you can handle your own luggage and do the self disembark rroutine you should be off the ship by around 8am then use the Skytrain to the airport with takes 30 minutes add another 20 for walking to from Skytrain - waiting for the trian (they run eveyr 7 mins) ... you should be able to make it to YVR for approx 10am however there can always be problems ....

If using the Skytrain to YVR make sure you have good directions on how to do that as with your time line you do not have time to get lost. If you need help you can ask me ann at century 21 vancouver dot com

We never go early. Nothing before 1 PM. I don't like stress :D The last time I had to take a flight at 11 PM or stay over night. Bill

AGREED. Booking early takes me immediately out of a blissful vacation state when you are standing in line to get off the ship.lines not moving. Beeping going off because people need to go back to front desk to settle accounts. Off the ship standing in line -- worst ever for us to date has been vancouver-- nearly an hour-- they had very few lines open. lines at the airport, etc

Flipside is you hit all green lights & breeze right thru.....

how important is it to you & are you feeling lucky? Might work out & might not.

As your flight from Vancouver to Toronto is a domestic flight you will have absolutely no problem with your 1100 flight time. Just get a early disembarkation time and you will have not problem being thru customs, in a taxi by 0900 and at YVR by 0935 which is lots of time for a domestic flight.

What is the earliest you have ever booked a flight home?

In 2008 Princess booked us on a flight for 10:30am. Made it no problem. Our flight will be Vancouver to Toronto and Toronto into Boston. I am looking at 11am. I will do luggage express and self disembark. If I don't do this flight the others will be overnight flights which I hate or staying overnight in Vancouver and flying out early in the morning.

So what is the earliest you have made it to Vancouver airport??

Thanks

11am should be no issue for a domestic flight to Toronto. Unless you are a member of a trusted traveler program like Global Entry or NEXUS to enter the United States I would want to be at the Vancouver airport an hour earlier (say 2½ hrs prior to departure) for a US bound flight as you need to pass through USA Immigration and Customs prior to reaching the E gates. Domestic and International (non-US) you should be fine 1½-2hrs prior to departure.

Ok thanks everyone - still have a little time to think what to do. We do plan on do luggage express so a quick self disembark should not be a problem. Ship is supposed to be in at 7am so if I was off by 8am I should be able to make the flight. I know it is stressful but the next flight wouldn't be until like 9:30 - 10pm and like I said, I hate overnight flights. I am not good when it comes to flying and a night time flight that long terrifies me....

Ok thanks everyone - still have a little time to think what to do. We do plan on do luggage express so a quick self disembark should not be a problem. Ship is supposed to be in at 7am so if I was off by 8am I should be able to make the flight. I know it is stressful but the next flight wouldn't be until like 9:30 - 10pm and like I said, I hate overnight flights. I am not good when it comes to flying and a night time flight that long terrifies me....

Luggage Express will have "acceptance" times, it is not available for any flights earlier than what they state. So verify this would be available for you. I have no problem packing a single rolling bag for two of us and taking the Light Rail. Was gone 5 weeks this last time. :)

I am in no way saying this is how it is for everyone, but I literally made it from the deck of the ship, through customs at the port (which was a laugh), to a cab, to the airport, through security, through US customs, and to my gate in an hour. On a Monday morning. The most amazing airport experience of my life. Those Canadians are efficient and friendly!

It really was luck that we were literally the second and third people off the ship (we found a hidden debarkation line), so I would say if you can get off quickly you will be completely fine for that departure time. Plus, no US Customs for you. People warned us it would be stressful, but other than finding the correct debarkation line, I was quite relaxed. You should definitely leave enough time between your flights though, as I have heard that Toronto can be a bit of a nightmare for customs.

I am in no way saying this is how it is for everyone, but I literally made it from the deck of the ship, through customs at the port (which was a laugh), to a cab, to the airport, through security, through US customs, and to my gate in an hour.

I'd like to know how fast your cab driver was driving!! Not that I don't believe you, but to do all that within an hour is almost impossible - sure your watch hadn't stopped?

Just make sure you allow enough time for the taxi line...As we were embarking on May 17th I couldn't believe how looooog the taxi line was for those disembarking :eek::eek:

Thanks everyone. I was talking to Royal Caribbean today about some questions I had about Anchorage to Seaward train and while we were talking I asked what was the earliest flight they suggest. The woman told me that anything from 11am on they are comfortable with. The feel that making a flight by 11 is within reason and anything earlier than that is not suggested..

Luggage Express will have "acceptance" times, it is not available for any flights earlier than what they state. So verify this would be available for you. I have no problem packing a single rolling bag for two of us and taking the Light Rail. Was gone 5 weeks this last time. :)

Thanks for the heads up on the luggage express time acceptance. Did not think of that but I have used it before and thought it was like 10 or 11. If I take that flight I will be sure to plan for that. If we had to take off luggage the 4 of us are very capable of doing that..

Just make sure you allow enough time for the taxi line...As we were embarking on May 17th I couldn't believe how looooog the taxi line was for those disembarking :eek::eek:

this is common, but all you have to do, is take the elevator up to the Pan Pacific, tip the bellman and get a quick cab. :)

Thanks everyone. I was talking to Royal Caribbean today about some questions I had about Anchorage to Seaward train and while we were talking I asked what was the earliest flight they suggest. The woman told me that anything from 11am on they are comfortable with. The feel that making a flight by 11 is within reason and anything earlier than that is not suggested..

You probably called the RCI general number?

Problem is, these employees are known to NOT have all the information and likely haven't even been to Alaska. You could be talking to someone in Florida etc. Many times, posters have argued on this board about something "told" to them by a cruiseline. only to have clearly been given the wrong information. Some accept the facts, some do not. But there are experts on this board who have the factual accurate information.

I'd like to know how fast your cab driver was driving!! Not that I don't believe you, but to do all that within an hour is almost impossible - sure your watch hadn't stopped?

I know, I was completely shocked! It's true though, we walked off the ship at 7:30 and were sitting in the terminal looking dumbfounded at each other at 8:35. I think the key to our short throughput time was that they let us into the US customs self-serve line. Basically, you scan your passport, answer a few questions on the screen, and then just give your documents to the customs agent. There are 6 or 8 little terminals where you can process your own documents. Saved a lot of time, there were probably 20 people waiting in the normal customs line. The customs agent looked at the passports, looked at our printout from the machine, and waved us through. Took 5 minutes. I've never seen anything like it, another reason that I'm a YVR cheerleader now. More info on the kiosks here.

Our flight was at 11:40 and we were nervous about making it, but obviously there was no problem! I can't say if the cab was aggressive, I live in Chicago and basically anything short of being thrown into the glass doesn't faze me. :) I'm still wondering if there was some sort of Canadian holiday that I had missed or something that day...

You probably called the RCI general number?

Problem is, these employees are known to NOT have all the information and likely haven't even been to Alaska. You could be talking to someone in Florida etc. Many times, posters have argued on this board about something "told" to them by a cruiseline. only to have clearly been given the wrong information. Some accept the facts, some do not. But there are experts on this board who have the factual accurate information.

I did call the general number - I agree they don't always know what they are talking about. I know there are people on here - yourself included - that know much more. However, she did talk about being in Alaska a couple times herself and we talked about different things with me. I know that does not make her an expert, but she did have some inkling of what she was talking about. Did have info about the airport etc.

I still am not sure what I am doing - I certainly will not make my decision based solely on what someone at Royal said. I think I can depend on people on here more.....

We just left today. Took US Direct, and were at the airport at 8:30ish. Couldn't get rid of our bags til 11. No lines anywhere. You can't do US Direct, but I would think the train and leaving the ship at 730 or 8 would give you plenty of time...

I know, I was completely shocked! It's true though, we walked off the ship at 7:30 and were sitting in the terminal looking dumbfounded at each other at 8:35. I think the key to our short throughput time was that they let us into the US customs self-serve line. Basically, you scan your passport, answer a few questions on the screen, and then just give your documents to the customs agent. There are 6 or 8 little terminals where you can process your own documents. Saved a lot of time, there were probably 20 people waiting in the normal customs line. The customs agent looked at the passports, looked at our printout from the machine, and waved us through. Took 5 minutes. I've never seen anything like it, another reason that I'm a YVR cheerleader now. More info on the kiosks here.

Our flight was at 11:40 and we were nervous about making it, but obviously there was no problem! I can't say if the cab was aggressive, I live in Chicago and basically anything short of being thrown into the glass doesn't faze me. :) I'm still wondering if there was some sort of Canadian holiday that I had missed or something that day...

This new kiosk passport scanner is new and was only installed at YVR in May and so far we have heard nothing but good things about it. Currently it is only availalable to US citizens returning to the US but evidently it will eventually offered to Canadians as well.

Archived