Mediterranean weather in mid October

ceba

I'm going on a Grand Med cruise the middle of Oct. I've looked at the average temps on the computer for that month, but I'm curious about actual experiences. How do I pack??? Will it be hot on land and cool on the ship? or more "fall like" in port and really cool on ship? I would appreciate any insight you all have. thanks!

We have had lots of land based Western Med holidays around this time of year with long sunny days with temps in the high 70s and low 80s. However the weather is less reliable with greater risk of rain and cloud. It does depend where on the Med you are going with northern Italy being less good, southern coasts much better.

It is getting towards the end of the season for many areas but that will mean fewer crowds. Also weather in places such as Greece should be much more pleasent for sightseeing.

We have sailed the med in mid october and had rain in Naples but still very warm, sun in Rome, a storm whilst leaving Tunisia ( 50% of the crew were ill as well as passengers ) and sun again in Menorca.

Extremely changeable is my experience so I would pack a waterproof as well as summer type clothes. The temperature was lovely, very pleasant, rather than very hot.

We spent 36 days on the Crown Princess in the estern Med last October and early November. Stops included

Livorno - beautiful day

Rome - cool but sunny

Naples - gorgeous

Athens - sunny & warm

Istanbul - cloudy & cool

Mykonos - two days were nice, one was cloudy, cool and windy

Venice - Fabulous sailaway. Flooding in San Marco Plaza

Based on our trip last year (Oct 6-13 - Spain, Italy, France), layers and rainwear are your friends.

In every port I wore a polo shirt and light slacks (shorts would have been fine) and packed a folding umbrella and waterproof windbreakers in my backpack. That covered me for everything we encountered, rain, sun, etc. For nights on the deck of the ship when it was cooler, I added in a fleece.

We were on Princess Grand Med late Sept-early October in 2011 with stays in Barcelona as well as another week post cruise in Italy. i never needed a sweater or any kind of warm clothes. in fact, it was quite warm everywhere except one day in Venice, when i wore a lightweight cotton jacket in the morning.

Last year, mid-Oct, we did another Med Princess cruise to the Greek Islands, with a stays in Rome and Venice. it was rainy in Rome but warm, with warm days everywhere else except rain and aqua alta in Venice, quite cool.

On the ship, it was warm enough to swim and sunbathe outdoors. Summer clothes were the norm.

Thank you all so much. You've covered it nicely. I think slacks, short sleeved shirts and tees with a light weight sweater and waterproof jacket should take care of it. I'm glad not to have to think about being too cold!

... rain and aqua alta in Venice, quite cool.

Don't be surprised if there is high water in Venice (St. Mark's square in particular) during October. It occurred just a day or two after we were there in Oct. 2012:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2219049/Venice-floods-Italian-city-suffers-seasonal-burst-high-water.html

John

Don't be surprised if there is high water in Venice (St. Mark's square in particular) during October. It occurred just a day or two after we were there in Oct. 2012:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2219049/Venice-floods-Italian-city-suffers-seasonal-burst-high-water.html

John

Haha! that looks funny! The last time I was there it was summer and the waters were high. The city had walking bridges set up above the water to keep dry. Never saw anyone wading around with the yellow "booties" on. Almost looks fun

Thank you all so much. You've covered it nicely. I think slacks, short sleeved shirts and tees with a light weight sweater and waterproof jacket should take care of it. I'm glad not to have to think about being too cold!

That works. We've been twice in Oct. Some mornings ie. Athens, I started with a Cardigan that would be off by about 11. Just layers and you'll be fine.

That works. We've been twice in Oct. Some mornings ie. Athens, I started with a Cardigan that would be off by about 11. Just layers and you'll be fine.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Archived