NY city to Newark airport

Hawaiidan

Question... The Marina get in to NY at 7 am. How long would it take at that hour to get to Newark airport to check in? Assuming I carried my own bags off the ship.

It there an option of shipping your bags home ( NY to Hawaii) so I wont have to mess with them?

Is it practical to book a 10 am flight r on republic/ I know it would be better to book a 1pm ... .

I agree about the flight times, but why should it take so long on a weekend? Are the trains slower? The train to Newark airport seemed very efficient to me when I took it.

You still have to take a tax to Penn Station. Then you have to wait for the train. Newark airport is very busy. You will have a wait at TSA. As a former New Yorker I will tell you to relax and take the later flight.

I booked a 1:10 pm flight on United... I plan on taking a cab from the pier to newark. Any idea on fares?

Not worried about TSA or check in at EWR, as United has their own exclusive one for first/Business passengers ( they have them in many airports like LAX,DEN,IAD,SEA etc) and it generaly takes me about 15 to 20 min from curb to through TSA and just about at the gate.

Thats another reasion I fly UAL...no lines or delay just like in the pre TSA days......:o

What is funny about booking this flight is they were selling first class tickets, fully refundable, for the same price as economy coach!!!... Getting an economy plus seat thus would actualy cost more than first class. Go figgure

I booked a 1:10 pm flight on United... I plan on taking a cab from the pier to newark. Any idea on fares?

Not worried about TSA or check in at EWR, as United has their own exclusive one for first/Business passengers ( they have them in many airports like LAX,DEN,IAD,SEA etc) and it generaly takes me about 15 to 20 min from curb to through TSA and just about at the gate.

Thats another reasion I fly UAL...no lines or delay just like in the pre TSA days......:o

What is funny about booking this flight is they were selling first class tickets, fully refundable, for the same price as economy coach!!!... Getting an economy plus seat thus would actually cost more than first class. Go figure

Fortunately you are at mid-day less crowded. In past it has taken me 40 minutes to get through the elite line at 4pm. In fact sometime the elite line is slower as you have GS people cutting in the line. If you have TSA pre-check that will help (if you get the 3 beeps).

Dan,

You might consider using a car service. It turns out to be about the same price and they will wait for you and be immediately available when you are ready. (Usually call on your cell when they arrive and their dispatcher can contact the driver if there is any miscommunication) The cab line can be a zoo at the cruise terminal.

I always use a car service called Carmel to and from Newark (212-666-6666). They have always been reliably on time with decent cars and good drivers. Look on the web, there are lots of choices.

Good Luck, Robbie

My problem or advantage , depending on how you look at it is I don't use cell phones or any electronic gizmos,,I don't even own one since I retired and in 15 years, really have never needed one since... So the car service is out... I may be in the minority but I really don't want one,:D

Thanks Jim and Stan for the cab info.

You still have to take a tax to Penn Station. Then you have to wait for the train. Newark airport is very busy. You will have a wait at TSA. As a former New Yorker I will tell you to relax and take the later flight.

I'm no native, but I have taken the Airtrain to and from Newark. I think service is reasonably frequent, is it not (easy to check), depending on the day of the week I presume.

It also looks to me like the cruise port isn't that far from Penn Station--am I wrong?

The Manhattan cruise port is at 12th avenue and around 53rd street. Penn station is on 34th st.,between 7th and 8th avenues ... a good distance.

Given Dan has ruled out a private car service, best bet is a NY yellow cab either to Penn station or Newark airport. A cab to Newark is the meter plus $17.50, round trip tolls plus tip. I would recommend going to Penn station via cab and then a train to the airport. If there is a scarcity of cabs on 12th avenue just walk east as there is a greater probability of cabs towards midtown.

We arrived in NY on Regatta- that time we walked across 12th Avenue to a taxi stand and waited our turn, took about 20 minutes to get to the front of the line and get in a taxi.

Last month on Marina there was a taxi line on the 2nd floor of the terminal and taxis picked up there. We had prearranged a pick up and waited for about the same 20 minutes for it. We were delayed about 1 hour until they started to allow disembarkation but then everyone got off promptly. By 9:30 everyone was off.

My problem or advantage , depending on how you look at it is I don't use cell phones or any electronic gizmos,,I don't even own one since I retired and in 15 years, really have never needed one since... So the car service is out... I may be in the minority but I really don't want one,:D

Thanks Jim and Stan for the cab info.

The thing about a metered taxi versus a prearranged car at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is that either of them can prove to be the worst choice ever and you won't really have any way of knowing until THAT day.

manhattan-cruise-terminal.jpg?itok=BxyojQc9

If there is little or no traffic, for example you might easily spend as little as thirty dollars to get to Newark Airport.

If the traffic is horrendous, your fare could easily exceed $300.

Personally, I would pay the up-friont $50 plus tolls & tip, and minimize my risk. ;)

The front desk on the ship will make a local call to confirm your taxi, if you don't have a phone

Archived