San Francisco question

las313

We will be sailing on Island Princess in Sept from San Francisco but flying in from Ft Lauderdale. Question is do the grocery stores (esp. Safeway) sell wine or do we need to go to a wine store? Don't want to fly with the wine.

Louise

:cool:

All Safeway stores sell wine, and, unlike states with Blue Laws, sell it on Sunday, too.

You can also find great wine shops, and even corner stores sell wine. The best value might be a chain called BevMo, but it might be hard to access unless you have a rental car. If you post the neighborhood where you're staying pre-cruise, I can recommend a few shops.

Andrew

A few options: the closest Safeway is on Bay Street, just three blocks from your hotel.

There's also Coit Liquors on Columbus about five blocks away towards North Beach.

Also, on Jefferson Street is the Wine Collective, a multi-winery tasting room, which could make for a fun pre-cruise excursion! Not too many blocks away.f

Safeway does have a decent selection, and good wine sales, so if you're in a hurry, that might be the easiest.

Enjoy San Francisco! I came here 25 years ago....and decided to stay!

For value priced wines, they have some good ones...but don't buy Charles Shaw (2 buck chuck) as it's cheap but not good. For a dollar or two more, you can get wines that are much more drinkable one I like is Napa River. Might have gone up to $5.99 now, but a nice balanced Chardonnay.

Enjoy your cruise.

Andrew

• 1 month later...
We will be sailing on Island Princess in Sept from San Francisco but flying in from Ft Lauderdale. Question is do the grocery stores (esp. Safeway) sell wine or do we need to go to a wine store? Don't want to fly with the wine.

Louise

:cool:

When friends visit from other states they are always surprised by how easy it is to obtain liquor here. They aren't suppose to sell between 2 and 6 A.M. but other than that...

For an amazing experience try BevMo (Beverages and More). They have extensive selections and helpful, knowledgeable staff. There's one on Van Ness Avenue it's not terribly close but worth it for a trip to "Hooch Heaven".

Nothing wrong with "2 buck chuck" although it is now 2.49 chuck. Trader Joe's has some nice choices depending on your tastes.

TJ's has some wonderful wines and spirits. I had some friends who moved to Oregon and said it's "3 buck Chuck" there. Does that make it better?:rolleyes:

TJ's has some wonderful wines and spirits. I had some friends who moved to Oregon and said it's "3 buck Chuck" there. Does that make it better?:rolleyes:

I guess you will have to ask Blazerboy that question...I'm fine with it at 2.49. Wonder why it is 51 cents more in Oregon? Maybe because there is no sales tax there??

I guess you will have to ask Blazerboy that question...I'm fine with it at 2.49. Wonder why it is 51 cents more in Oregon? Maybe because there is no sales tax there??

My friends used to occasionally come back to California and load up on wine, liquor, etc.

Archived