Impertinent questions about "ice cream"

AndyTheK

I'll be sailing on the Crown in a few days, and though I've sailed on her twice before, I've never had anything from the ice cream bar on the Lido deck. The gelati in the IC are excellent, as are the sorbets served at dinner in the dining room, with the ice cream a close runner-up.

But the ice cream bar remains a mystery. I have two questions about that.

First, is what is served there actually an ice cream or ice milk product, or is it something like a chalky substance or melloream (Google if you haven't come across the term before).

Second, what goes into a "shake"? What choices are there as to ingredients (fruit? syrups?)

I can well live without this, and if they basically offer a sugary, possibly chocolated substance whipped to liquid, I shall.

Shalom from Tel Aviv. Andy.

I don't remember if they actually claim that it is ice cream or just frozen soft serve dessert but the only thing going for it is it's cold. Not much flavor. I tried a soft serve once on the Sapphire and that was enough. Did not try any of the up-charge options there. Sure do miss the afternoon homemade ice creams in the buffet. Really love the sorbets in the dining room. Honeydew sorbet is my favorite.

Jackie

Well, I think if you have too ask that question in that much detail, I would definitely avoid it.

We had the soft serve ice cream several times on our cruise and enjoyed it. Was it the be all and end all? No.It was ice cream in a cone. Very refreshing in tropical climes.

FWIW....

The milkshakes are made from real, hand-dipped ice cream.
The standard milkshake/malt flavors are chocolate, strawberry and vanilla and the cost with gratuity is $2.88

The complementary soft serve is usually good quality and available flavors are chocolate, vanilla and twist. The only toppings are chocolate or multicolored sprinkles. The cones are pretty small so sometimes I ask for two ;)

Usually I find that chocolate soft serve at places like Dairy Queen is lacking in flavor, but in the past few years on the Golden, the chocolate soft serve has been quite good, with deep flavor. I like it and usually have a cone after lunch most days.

Usually I find that chocolate soft serve at places like Dairy Queen is lacking in flavor, but in the past few years on the Golden, the chocolate soft serve has been quite good, with deep flavor. I like it and usually have a cone after lunch most days.

Can you get ice cream all day and night or is there a set time? Is it self serve?

Thanks to everyone who replied. From the answers, I guess I will avoid the self-serve (DW was a manager in a DQ store one college summer and described the process of preparing it from the supplied mix).

But I'll give the milk shakes a try.

Shalom from Tel Aviv. Andy

I find the chocolate soft serve VERY good and "chocolaty" .... the flavor is more like a dark chocolate, and it is surprisingly creamy.

I know what really good soft serve products taste like .... at one time my DH and I owned and operated a frozen custard stand, and the butterfat content was higher than the "ice milk type" of soft serve products. While the Princess product is not frozen custard, I find their chocolate to be very satisfying.

If the OP is a fan of chocolate, it might be worth a try!!!

One thing we discovered on our last cruise - they have a sugar free variety ice cream available very day and we found it great tasting! It was a hard scoopable one also! We had chocolate and strawberry several times.

Thanks to everyone who replied. From the answers, I guess I will avoid the self-serve (DW was a manager in a DQ store one college summer and described the process of preparing it from the supplied mix).

But I'll give the milk shakes a try.

Shalom from Tel Aviv. Andy

Andy, it's Marcia and I will be on the cruise with you. The milk shakes are great!! I get the ultimate soda and more card and enjoy them daily. I'll take you for a milk shake while were on the cruise :)

Andy, it's Marcia and I will be on the cruise with you. The milk shakes are great!! I get the ultimate soda and more card and enjoy them daily. I'll take you for a milk shake while were on the cruise :)
It's a date, hun. See you soon. A.

Archived