Would this be an innovation or improvement?

Day after day, tons of threads about the same-ol', same ol' -- the Big Four are:

• Cheers program
  • FTTF
  • ES/fare-matching
  • Appropriate dress in MDR/steakhouse

Lots of folks don't bother to search existing threads before starting a new one.

I wish there were some "master threads" where all of those repititive questions would automatically populate.

Thank you for allowing me to vent!;)

Day after day, tons of threads about the same-ol', same ol' -- the Big Four are:

• Cheers program
  • FTTF
  • ES/fare-matching

Lots of folks don't bother to search existing threads before starting a new one.

I wish there were some "master threads" where all of those repititive questions would automatically populate.

Agree with you! It's like Cruise Critic is on some sort of perpetual LOOP, endlessly repeating itself!

Its always been that way. Even if there are 4 obvious threads on the front page and a sticky, people think their point of view is important enough for a new thread.

If people dont read stickies now.. master threads would not be read either.

People just want to chat, and thats what CC is, a place to chat about cruising, whatever they want to chat about.

It's s lovely thought, and one of the reasons I wish CC And sister site TA would look at the functionality of each.

On TA the destination experts manage an FAQ section which directs people to pages or threads on common questions asked (aka things we are tired of answering over and over and over)

Real nice in theory, but most people do not bother to read them. At least once day I answer a question about something in the FAQ's. Course on a mobile view they also don't show up. LOL

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Or even just a short tutorial showing new users how to navigate the site and search threads for the information they are seeking.

People dont want to use the search :) Too easy :)

But when they do....how about a LOCK feature after so long on a thread. So that we dont have folks answering a post 3 years later about a lost camera in a bathrobe :) And old outdated info (all the cheers threads) resurfacing all the time. People could read them for info but not be able to post to them after so much time has elapsed. Just a thought....

But when they do....how about a LOCK feature after so long on a thread. So that we dont have folks answering a post 3 years later about a lost camera in a bathrobe :) And old outdated info (all the cheers threads) resurfacing all the time. People could read them for info but not be able to post to them after so much time has elapsed. Just a thought....

I like how you think :) Some threads are better off dead.

• Cheers program
  • FTTF
  • ES/fare-matching

You missed smoking and tips.

I am fairly new to cc and use the search button at the top right corner ;) but it drives me crazy to click on a conversation that is from 2007. Like that is even relevant anymore...:rolleyes:...I also scan every forum looking for new info and it does seem that the same questions keep coming up again and again! lol :p But I really do appreciate all the people that answer questions when I do ask!! :D

Like!:)

The search function on this site isn't great. I always search for answers before I post a question (as a fellow DE on TA, BSQ, I get it!) but the threads are maybe 5 years old and things change. A quick search over the last few pages wouldn't hurt though!

I thought it was Groundhog Day. :)

I really try to search before I post.

As for the questions about the Cheers program ... I haven't been on a ship with it yet. But it sounds like at least once per month they are changing something or we find out that one ship is doing it one way while another is doing it differently. If I ever get on a ship that has it I'll probably be look foolish on here asking questions before I board the ship.

The whole first page would be "master threads". I would like to see two things...1) the first time someone logs in, they should have to go thru a tutorial on how to navigate to the different forums and what should be posted where, 2) the ability for an OP to close a thread when their question was answered.

the ability for an OP to close a thread when their question was answered.

or when they don't like the answers they are getting :D

All joking aside...I said this earlier....threads should get closed. Not just because someone at CC deems it out of control or whatever reason they have for closing one....but for the sake of old threads not being dragged up time and time again. Its on the first page...you start reading it and voila....you figure out its 2 years old....after its had 50 new posts added to it with all kinds of "untimely" advice being offered. To me...a waste of time. If its on a topic I searched for then its information I wanted and will read it for that fact alone. Pick a time limit and close 'em down :)

I wish that the date would post when you do create a thread. Today I saw a thread on "show us your drink pictures" and I was going to respond to someone about a good AA drink, and realized she had posted the quesiton in 2011? Really ?I'm sure she figured it out by the time she cruised!:cool:

Agree with you! It's like Cruise Critic is on some sort of perpetual LOOP, endlessly repeating itself!

Every message board out there in message board land is the same way. It's just the nature of things.

BTW, I'm a (former) Astoria native!

I wish that the date would post when you do create a thread. Today I saw a thread on "show us your drink pictures" and I was going to respond to someone about a good AA drink, and realized she had posted the quesiton in 2011? Really ?I'm sure she figured it out by the time she cruised!:cool:

It already is. The original posting on this was at 2:59 pm yesterday. You posted at 10:26 pm yesterday. Eventually it shows the exact date of the postings. Using this post as an example, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1504009 in the yellow bar at the upper left corner of the post, it clearly shows the date and time of the posting .

I don't have a problem with people asking the same questions over and over because things do change. Things are added, things are taken away.

What I do have a problem with is someone asking a question, then fifteen people will give the same answer. If it's already answered, why give the same answer over again and again other than to increase your posting count which basically means nothing.

• Cheers program
  • FTTF
  • ES/fare-matching

The problem with some of the "master threads" such as "Carnival Freebies" is they are sometimes from 2002 and and so far out of date all it does is lead to infrequent cruisers being disappointed because something that was listed, is no longer. Then we have repetitive gripe posts about someone not getting their free 'whatever'......

My thought is, keep the information current and hopefully avoid most of the mis-communication.

• Cheers program
  • FTTF
  • ES/fare-matching

If that were the case then there would be 10 new post per day like some other cruise forum I pop into every now and then.

You pop in once a month and you are caught up in 15 minutes.

I like it the way it is.:)

Bill

Archived