Birth Certificate

JennyB20

Me and my husband are taking our two sons (5&2) on a last minute cruise so there for me and my boys don't have a passport. I don't want to bring our actual birth certificate and the website is kind of confusing on that but I called and two reps with Carnival told me I could bring a xerox copy as long as its legible if I don't want to bring the actual copy. Has anyone had any past experience? I'm just nervous about not being able to board and then we would be furious!

Me and my husband are taking our two sons (5&2) on a last minute cruise so there for me and my boys don't have a passport. I don't want to bring our actual birth certificate and the website is kind of confusing on that but I called and two reps with Carnival told me I could bring a xerox copy as long as its legible if I don't want to bring the actual copy. Has anyone had any past experience? I'm just nervous about not being able to board and then we would be furious!

I used a photocopy to board a CCL cruise last October, just make sure it is a copy of the state issued birth certificate.

A lot of these websites people said you COULD NOT bring one but I don't want to take the chance of our actual ones getting lost if I could get on with a xerox copy. And even though I have had 2 people at carnival tell me this I just want to be sure. And of course if we enjoy te cruise enough we will be getting passports like my husband:)

I have always heard that it must have the seal impressed on it.

Lossing a BC is not the end of the world, you can always get another from the issuer.

Not all jurisdictions use seals. Here's what the DHS regulations say:

"When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate..."

I thought I read that you can also bring a notarized copy. In this case, you copy the original in front of a public notary, and they "notarize" that this copy was made from an original certified version of the BC. At least that is how it was explained in another thread.

I thought I read that you can also bring a notarized copy. In this case, you copy the original in front of a public notary, and they "notarize" that this copy was made from an original certified version of the BC. At least that is how it was explained in another thread.

Nothing wrong with that but it isn't necessary on CCL. I have read the proposed regs and the final regs (at least as it pertains to closed loop cruises) and the proposed regs did contain the words "original or certified copy". "Certified" was removed from the final regulations.

If you are driving maybe an option would be to take both.. And if you by chance need the original it will be locked in your car! I mean dont leave it laying on the front seat while you take a cruise for a week but locked in your glove box or something... I would definitely not leave it at home and take the chance on them turning you away! But thats just me!

Notaries (in California at least) only confirm the identity of the signatory of a document not the contents of the document.

OP,

You are obviously getting conflicting answers. It is up to you which you choose to follow. I would point out that if you bring a BC with the raised seal and a copy would have sufficed, all will be fine.

However, if you bring a copy without the seal and it is required, you will miss the cruise and not be re-imbursed.

Why go thru this stress and waste your time worrying? You have original documents, use them. Just remember for women we need the "bridge" document which reflects our change of name or names.... To match not only our current Photo ID but our children's birth certificates... so if you have been married more than once you need "bridge" documents for all name changes since the name on your BC!

Happy sailing :)

They already told me to bring my marriage certificate and I'm going to bring originals AND copies (my original is also worn from years of using) we just need passports like my husband so I won't have to stress! I think there would be a problem if a woman didn't worry about something anyway.

Take the certified copies, they are not irreplaceable and you won't have to explain why you are using photocopies. Carnival is the most lenient in allowing non-certified copies, but some customs and immigration agents will give you a harder look if you use them.

When you return, get duplicate copies of the BCs and ML to keep on hand. You will need them in the future for quite a few things.

If you have time why not go and get a couple of extra copies?

In SF the "original" signed certificate by Mom & Doc at the hospital is locked away somewhere by the county.

You go to the County Clerk's office to get a certified copy which is basically a photocopy on fancy certificate paper with a serial number on it & the clerk just date stamp it with one those payroll time clock machines.

Same with marriage licences but at different County Dept.

I picked up 4 copies when Kid was born, 2 went into the bank box, 1 in our fire resistant file cab, the last copy is used for stuff like getting passports and school enrollment.

Death certs are printed using the same paper and printer:eek:

Notaries (in California at least) only confirm the identity of the signatory of a document not the contents of the document.

Same for New York. There is no such thing as a "notarized" copy of a document. I can notarize a statement describing an event. I cannot notarize a picture of the same event.

For OP bring the originals--US Immigration not Carnival makes the final call.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Ditto- Bring the originals!! Don't take the chance. If anything happens to them, just order more. Just so, we're clear, these are from the state, right? Not hospital bc's with footprints and all that. That's the only reason why I could see you not wanting to take them, cuz they're cute? Must be government issued.

They are from the state! I had to drive 2 hours and wait an entire 5 minutes to get a new one for my youngest son! But carnival sent me an email stating that customs prefer an original but will take "a clear and readable xerox copy, (document does not have to be notarized or certified") I also paid $50 to have a new one for me to be rushed just in case my worn one became an issue. I am making sure I don't get denied boarding!

They are from the state! I had to drive 2 hours and wait an entire 5 minutes to get a new one for my youngest son! But carnival sent me an email stating that customs prefer an original but will take "a clear and readable xerox copy, (document does not have to be notarized or certified") I also paid $50 to have a new one for me to be rushed just in case my worn one became an issue. I am making sure I don't get denied boarding!

Yes, they are from the State!!! For piece of mind order a couple extras for everybody.... The old fashion way, by snail mail. When they come, lock them up for a rainy day. Someday your children will appreciate that mom has these records tucked away for them.

No need to drive 2 hours or pay rush fees, you can normally in most states order these on line.

Have a great cruise! :)

Take the certified copies, they are not irreplaceable and you won't have to explain why you are using photocopies. Carnival is the most lenient in allowing non-certified copies, but some customs and immigration agents will give you a harder look if you use them.

When you return, get duplicate copies of the BCs and ML to keep on hand. You will need them in the future for quite a few things.

No one asked me to explain why I was using a copy and the CBP officer didn't even bat an eye, took less than a minute to clear. If a CBP officer does look harder at one then that officer has delusions of grandeur.

Well I had to drive because they had a delayed time for mail orders and since our cruise is in 2 weeks I rushed mine over the Internet since I live in MS and was born In TN

OK, Now, I'm completely confused. You did all this driving and paying extra for rush orders to get the BCs for this cruise and now you don't want to bring them? :eek: Bring them, take no chances and when you get home and have plenty of time, feel free to order more copies for a few bucks and have them mailed to you. It's a win-win situation.

I'm bringing the original anyways but I spoke to the Carnival port director myself and she said you can bring xerox copies as long as its legible and shows where it is a certified bc.

I'm bringing the original anyways but I spoke to the Carnival port director myself and she said you can bring xerox copies as long as its legible and shows where it is a certified bc.

Yep, and as I said in post #2 I presented a copy of my birth certificate on our last cruise and had no issues whatsoever:). (Other cruise lines may have different rules though so it behooves one to check those requirements.)

Archived