Going up a tier while onboard...

Congratulations on becoming Emerald!

The only main difference from Platinum I experienced onboard as an Emerald member is a Welcome Basket (Key Lime Cookies and Dried Friut) and a non-alcohol beverage (small bottle of water or soda, juice based on your preference in the Crown & Anchor profile online) waiting for me when I arrived in my stateroom on the first day.

I heard the booklets are being eliminated as the coupons will be electronically send to your sea pass card. I'm not sure what the differences are between Platinum and Emerald, but I think there's a thread about that somewhere.

On the cruise that I become Emerald on the last day or two, I booked the Next Cruise certificate, but I did not inquire about getting bumped up early and received Platinum benefits only throughout that cruise.

Actually, the biggest difference in becoming Emerald is it prolongs the journey to becoming Diamond.;):rolleyes:

Perhaps you miscalculated your points? It would be very unusual for them to give you your new level before you completed or even started that cruise.

I have checked and re checked, but you can too.

So far 6 seven night cruises on RCI.

2 regular Balcony. = 14 points

3 JS = 42 points.

1 GS = 14 points

= Total 70 points.

My next cruise that they class me as Diamond we will be in GS for 7 nights.

So for what ever reason it appears they have credited me my points before I have actually cruised. That is of course if Diamond is = 80 points.

3 JS = 42 points.

1 GS = 14 points

= Total 70 points.

So for what ever reason it appears they have credited me my points before I have actually cruised. That is of course if Diamond is = 80 points.

The method of calculating points changed in Jan 2011. You could have more points than 70. Which cruises came before Jan 2011 and which cruises came after?

Really? What harm does it hurt to ask?

because if it is policy, you are putting the staff in the awkward position of having to say no and run the risk of annoying you or having to endure a snit fit.

we are exactly one point shy of leaving Gold behind. yes it irks me slightly but it was my own damn fault for booking a 6 nighter early on, and not our usual 7 nighters. I will instead have to wait until the end of my anniversary cruise in September.

when I still worked in retail I REALLY loathed the the people who tried six ways from sunday to find loopholes on anything.. sale, return policy, I actually WITNESSED on 2 separate occasions a customer attempting fraud: one was coming up the escalator, grabbing a comforter then immediately going to the cash register in the back of the department to 'return' the item. good thing it was policy to have all returns countersigned by a Management assistant and I was able to nix that in the bud.

the other was someone I watched remove the signage from a display, and pull out the 'sale' signage to replace that in the front, then demand to be given the sale price. again, luckily, our signage was dated so we were able to refuse that as well. yeah after I saw that I made it department policy that no longer would the sale signs be stored on the displays.

3 JS = 42 points.

1 GS = 14 points

= Total 70 points.

If you are in a GS you'll get many perks that even Diamond do not see :) You are in a win/win in my opinion!!

because if it is policy, you are putting the staff in the awkward position of having to say no and run the risk of annoying you or having to endure a snit fit. ... when I still worked in retail....

IMO, the instances you cite are completely different than what is being discussed here. While your customers were out to defraud your store, people here are asking about becoming a member of the next level according to their points. Now, while they have earned the next level, it is not recognized until after their cruise is completed. They (we - we asked as well onboard Jewel when we turned Diamond 2 days in) can certainly ask even though it probably means no anyway. Your customers were outright stealing. Sorry spookwife, but I feel it's a little different. :)

Depends on the ship, the LA and the Hotel Director.

This is what I keep trying to say, too. That's why asking is a good idea.

As usual, thank you Patti (aka: The Voice of Reason) :D:D

because if it is policy, you are putting the staff in the awkward position of having to say no and run the risk of annoying you or having to endure a snit fit.

we are exactly one point shy of leaving Gold behind. yes it irks me slightly but it was my own damn fault for booking a 6 nighter early on, and not our usual 7 nighters. I will instead have to wait until the end of my anniversary cruise in September.

when I still worked in retail I REALLY loathed the the people who tried six ways from sunday to find loopholes on anything.. sale, return policy, I actually WITNESSED on 2 separate occasions a customer attempting fraud: one was coming up the escalator, grabbing a comforter then immediately going to the cash register in the back of the department to 'return' the item. good thing it was policy to have all returns countersigned by a Management assistant and I was able to nix that in the bud.

the other was someone I watched remove the signage from a display, and pull out the 'sale' signage to replace that in the front, then demand to be given the sale price. again, luckily, our signage was dated so we were able to refuse that as well. yeah after I saw that I made it department policy that no longer would the sale signs be stored on the displays.

If it is such a strict policy, then they would not have stickers already printed for new levels. The mere presence of stickers indicates that they anticipate changing the level on Sea Pass Cards for their customers.

I am under the impression after reading numerous posts that the coupon books are not given out anymore anyway. I thought they loaded the coupons on your card.

Royal does plan to transition to electronic coupons, however I believe that only Freedom has made the transition at this time.

Our trip next year, upon the completion of our NZ, we will reach Emerald, then 9 days later when we reboard for the Transpacific and upon its completion we will jump to Diamond for the beginning of our Hawaii and final cruise home. I was informed I should check with Crown and Anchor to let them know of our level changes during our cruises.

Our trip next year, upon the completion of our NZ, we will reach Emerald, then 9 days later when we reboard for the Transpacific and upon its completion we will jump to Diamond for the beginning of our Hawaii and final cruise home. I was informed I should check with Crown and Anchor to let them know of our level changes during our cruises.

Gay, one of the issues with B2B or cruises close together is that their computer takes a few days to record the last cruise as complete and assign the new point level. So it's always a good idea to touch base with the LA when this happens. OH, and while talking to the LA do what I always do, book another cruise. But you already knew that about me;)

Clint you don't book a lot of cruise, last check it is one every other month I think.:D One I have in mind if we an handle it, is 2015 Christmas/NY's cruise, so will look into this during our NZ. During the NZ, I will check with LA regarding our Emerald level at the end of the cruise and hopefully we will get some perks at the beginning of the TP, 9 days later. :)

Gay

If it is such a strict policy, then they would not have stickers already printed for new levels. The mere presence of stickers indicates that they anticipate changing the level on Sea Pass Cards for their customers.

Gay, one of the issues with B2B or cruises close together is that their computer takes a few days to record the last cruise as complete and assign the new point level. So it's always a good idea to touch base with the LA when this happens. OH, and while talking to the LA do what I always do, book another cruise. But you already knew that about me;)

But having those stickers available might have more to do with the issue that you suggested as opposed to assigning points, and changing levels, half way through a cruise.

But having those stickers available might have more to do with the issue that you suggested as opposed to assigning points, and changing levels, half way through a cruise.

Perhaps.

I don't see a problem of someone politely asking if something is possible. It seems to be something that is done on a regular basis. Now on the other hand, some people get carried away. A few months ago, we were on with a couple that were sailing a whole bunch of B2B's and thought that they were special people. They were trying to get the LA fired because she refused to move them up a level during the cruise. They were telling everyone they met and writing letters to corporate and even a major stockholder that they knew. BTW, she was the best LA that we have ever had.

I asked when i turned emerald on day 3 of the second leg of a b2b on Allure.

I was told no, that the points are "completed " cruise credits and that since the cruise was not completed i had not yet officially received them.

(I understood the decision and did not get snitty just said ok thank you) :)

Oh gosh... another "the rules really don't apply to me" post. The next level is NOT earned until the current CRUISE is COMPLETED. Why is it necessary to continually suggest that people push staff to break the rules?

I merely said I was happy things worked out for her. If the Loyalty Ambassador on a given ship deems it acceptable to record a passenger's new C&A level while the cruise is in progress, then that would be the LA's business decision, not yours.

I advocate people asking questions about the policies on board a ship, and that does not necessarily end up something being "broken". I also advocate people accepting the answers to those questions, as I have in the past.

We understand that the rules say "not until cruise is completed," but asked nicely based on what we'd read on good ol' CC. If the response had been "no," we would have continued to enjoy our cruise without getting into a snit or trying to get anyone fired. I was fairly clear in my post that we asked nicely and did not demand anything or push anyone. And if the the LA made a business decision to please a repeat customer, why is that so terrible? And how does it hurt anyone else. People get all kinds of preferential treatment on cruises all the time. I certainly don't get bent out of shape when I see my neighbor in the MDR get three lobster tails or if someone gets comped a drink.

Common sense here.... If you are on that cruise, then 99.9% chance you are going to complete it....unless there is an emergency of some kind.

Why not honor the next level on the cruise you obtain it.

From what I understand, pinnacle level is honored on the cruise you reach that level at.

Common sense here.... If you are on that cruise, then 99.9% chance you are going to complete it....unless there is an emergency of some kind.

Why not honor the next level on the cruise you obtain it.

From what I understand, pinnacle level is honored on the cruise you reach that level at.

Maybe you should ask RCI why they wrote the rules the way they did?

Archived