No Up-grade please

janhtx

I have C752 booked on Grand for our next cruise. I called my TA and had him mark it NO UPGRADE. I booked the cabin specifically as it's an aft facing balcony on Caribe and is on the port side. It has a large balcony with a slight wrap-around. Since the cabin is listed as a premium balcony room I guess I could take my chances of a mini-suite upgrade but I'd rather keep the room I booked and have the oversize aft-facing balcony.

If it wasn't for the folks here at CC I never would have known to do that. Fortunately for me I started reading these forums well in advance of our first cruise in 2011. This place has helped me a lot. :D

I read these posts last night, called my TA this morning to change my booking to "META upgrade only" and was told no such choice exists with princess. One either stays with any upgrade or opts for no upgrade.

Well it's a big agency so I'll just call back and hopefully I'll get a different person. I don't want to risk losing my handpicked obstructed view cabin (that's really unobstructed) for an upgraded obstructed view, but I will give it up for a balcony or better cabin.

Judy

I read these posts last night, called my TA this morning to change my booking to "META upgrade only" and was told no such choice exists with princess. One either stays with any upgrade or opts for no upgrade.

Well it's a big agency so I'll just call back and hopefully I'll get a different person. I don't want to risk losing my handpicked obstructed view cabin (that's really unobstructed) for an upgraded obstructed view, but I will give it up for a balcony or better cabin.

Ugh... I hate it when a TA is clueless or gives out incorrect information. They may be a big agency but obviously aren't very familiar with Princess. I'd call back and ask to speak to a supervisor, or get a new TA who knows what they're talking about.

Judy

Assuming your TA's phone system is capable of conference calling, or three-way calling, have the TA call you first, and then have them call Princess directly with you on the line. Then, you can talk to the Princess Agent and you will get what you want and your TA will get an education.

I'm absolutely amazed how many people flat-out reject cabin upgrades.

I understand everyone's logic, I'm just surprised how common the negative feeling is.

Perhaps some of my surprise comes from the fact that I'm a bargain-basement buyer, an insider cabin booker.

And that diversity is what keeps the boat afloat, I guess!

I'm absolutely amazed how many people flat-out reject cabin upgrades.

I understand everyone's logic, I'm just surprised how common the negative feeling is.

Perhaps some of my surprise comes from the fact that I'm a bargain-basement buyer, an insider cabin booker.

And that diversity is what keeps the boat afloat, I guess!

I don't think a lot of people are against an upgrade but don't want anything that moves them somewhere they don't want to be. I had a cruise in May on the Grand on the Caribe deck. I picked that deck because of a larger balcony. Princess upgraded me to a higher deck that they considered an upgrade but I lost the large balcony which I had paid extra $ to get. A META UPGRADE I would except as I would be wiling to give up my large balcony for a larger stateroom. I travel solo so with the extra $ I have to pay I have the right to be picky as to where I am on the ship.

Tom:)

Assuming your TA's phone system is capable of conference calling, or three-way calling, have the TA call you first, and then have them call Princess directly with you on the line. Then, you can talk to the Princess Agent and you will get what you want and your TA will get an education.

Got it done! At first the agent I spoke to today told me Holland was the only cruise line that allowed META upgrade as an option, but when I said that I was assured Princess also had that option, she searched a little further.

Thanks to everyone who shared their expertise.

Judy

If you are in an obstructed balcony, does anyone know, will a Meta Upgrade be to an unobstructed or to a mini?

An "meta" only upgrade can be to any higher type of cabin depending on the goals of marketing. Most likely would be to a regular balcony, but a mini is not impossible.

An "meta" only upgrade can be to any higher type of cabin depending on the goals of marketing. Most likely would be to a regular balcony, but a mini is not impossible.

If you are not on the Royal, then it means you would only be upgraded to a mini suite. If on the Royal, you could go from obstruct. View balcony to uninstructed and/or possibly deluxe balcony, but the meta upgrades are rare, especially since the reconfiguration of cabins. Better book something you will be happy with.

Archived