No Up-grade please

janhtx

How do you request not to be upgraded if you booked on line with the cruise line? I cannot find any place to make that choice on the Cruise Personalizer. Do I need to just call them?

Many, many time cruiser but first time on Princess. Based on information from the helpful folks on CC, and knowing our style (or lack thereof) and preferences, I booked a covered mini on CB out of Houston 12/7/2013. We would like to stay there and not go to a higher level mini. Full suite...well now that's a different story...

Thanks in advance for the help.

Full suite...well now that's a different story...

Thanks in advance for the help.

Call and be sure to let them know that you would accept a "meta" upgrade only which means that you would accept a bump up to a whole new cabin type (suite) but would not want a category upgrade from one mini to another.

even tho people say no upgrade if they want the room they can upgrade you and they will say its operational reasons

Were you trying to say tha Princess can upgrade you no matter what? That usually does not happen if you mark it no upgrade.

OP, you should call and have your booking marked no upgrade..

Were you trying to say tha Princess can upgrade you no matter what? That usually does not happen if you mark it no upgrade.

OP, you should call and have your booking marked no upgrade..

with the terms & conditions under Stateroom changes .....they may not change your room but they can be changed for operational reasons, including when the number of people booked in the room is less than the number of beds in the cabin

I was told to day by my agent at AAA that their was no such thing as a 'Meta" upgrade with Princess. Is this true?

Tom:)

This is not true. You can have your booking marked meta upgrade only, bi the likelihood of being upgraded diminishes... But they do happen. Since the the recategorization of cabins, it doesn't seem to happen as often.

I check my cruise personalizer every day. I have an aft facing balcony and have told them "no upgrade." So I check, just in case, and will call if there is a problem.

We also had an aft balcony, marked no upgrade. Princess upgraded us, no contact with us, nor with TA, to a AB mini on Dolphin. Full sun balcony. We most upset, contacted TA and told her to insist we be moved back to our aft cabin. Thanks but no thanks. Took 3 days, but we got our original cabin back. We had received a notification of upgraded cabin change. Then 3 days later we received a notification of cabin change back to our original. It pays to be diligent watching your booking.

I was told to day by my agent at AAA that their was no such thing as a 'Meta" upgrade with Princess. Is this true?

Call your TA and ask him/her to tell you what the code NUM on a booking means. S/He will likely have to call Princess to find out, but then you have your answer.

BTW, we are not allowed to mention agency or agent names on this board, for future reference.;)

Well whatever meta means not sure if if to a different category alltogether, yes Princess does. Booked lowest guarantee inside - got OV midship when booking a really low cost guarantee 629 for 14 day.

There are 3 choices re upgrades when you have a cabin assigned .

This does not apply to category "Guarantees".

No Upgrade

Any Upgrade

Upgrade only to next cabin type (ex:Bal to Suite, IS to OV, ect.)

You won't have the choice while booking online unless you are speaking to a real person (TA or PCL) .

They should ask you but don't always.

You can always call after booking to add or confirm .

We use Princess vacation planner, used her three times. Love her. Asked not to be up graded because we love where our cabin is on our next cruise to Hawaii. I would take a on board ship credit! Lol Do you think I would get it?

Gilda

Hmmm... methinks they're not very knowledgeable about Princess because there absolutely is a "meta" upgrade to a higher type of cabin.

Just had to deal with this problem a few days ago...

Originally we had a cruise booked for Feb. (our first on Princess.) We picked cabins that we wanted and requested "no upgrade". Later we switched our booking to the same cruise and same cabins in December and the Princess representative said no problem...he would just switch over everything from the first booking.

This past Monday I received an email congratulating me on our free upgrade! The upgrade consisted of moving us two decks lower which I didn't even consider an upgrade anyway! Ughhhh....

I immediately called and was told that they had to fill out a form requesting that we wanted to be moved back to our original cabins...but it could take up to 48 hours. All I could think of was that by then our original cabins would be gone so I called back early the next morning and managed to get them to take care of the switch right away. Unfortunately the switch caused another mixup with OBC but one more call got that straightened out as well....I hope. :rolleyes:

I guess when we changed the dates on the cruise the "no upgrade" request didn't get put on the new booking. After quite a few Carnival cruises, booking. Princess cruise is a learning experience!

Thought I'd update my original post. Based on the advice of the CC members on this board I called Princess. The nice young man on the phone absolutely knew what Meta was and updated my booking accordingly.

Thanks again.

You inspired me to contact my Princess TA and had my booking marked, "Meta upgrade only."

Hi Daniel,

I've changed your booking so that your request is in the system for what we call a "meta" upgrade. This means you will only be upgraded if a full suite is offered. If nothing becomes available by the time you sail, you'll just keep the room you currently have. Let me know if you have any questions!

Kind regards,

TA

Feel relieved I learned about this beforehand. Now I can sleep calmy.

You inspired me to contact my Princess TA and had my booking marked, "Meta upgrade only."

Hi Daniel,

I've changed your booking so that your request is in the system for what we call a "meta" upgrade. This means you will only be upgraded if a full suite is offered. If nothing becomes available by the time you sail, you'll just keep the room you currently have. Let me know if you have any questions!

Kind regards,

TA

Feel relieved I learned about this beforehand. Now I can sleep calmy.

Thks sapphirehoneynoon Will do the same..unaware

This past March we booked a balcony cabin on Caribe deck midship. 3 days before cruise my TA called to ask me if I checked my cabin assignment lately. I said no, why would I? She said you and your party have been upgraded to a dolphin midship mini's. I was very pleased but did not realize they can do this without notification. Had she not looked, I would never have known until arrival! Now I am booked on Royal midship extended balcony and can't think of anywhere else on the ship except a full suite I would want to be. We like the little extra room I hope the "jut out" balcony will give us so I need to call my TA and have her request no upgrade. I have no idea and neither does my TA when they did the upgrade in March, whether it was 3 days or 3 weeks. Would they make a change months before your cruise?

We like the little extra room I hope the "jut out" balcony will give us so I need to call my TA and have her request no upgrade. I have no idea and neither does my TA when they did the upgrade in March, whether it was 3 days or 3 weeks. Would they make a change months before your cruise?
As long as you leave your booking with "Will accept an upgrade," it can happen at any time, including at the pier for check-in. As you discovered, Princess doesn't necessarily notify TAs that you've been upgraded so often, you don't have a choice.

I was once upgraded from a balcony cabin to a mid-ship mini-suite on Dolphin deck. I appreciated the extra cabin space but hated the location and the balcony was essentially unusable for me as I don't do sun. That wasn't a big deal since it was a northern route T/A and cold/wet/rainy most of the cruise.

Archived