Itinerary Alterations

millikid

We are booked for 22 day Adriatic & Ancient Explorer cruise in August. There is a 1 day port of call at Port Said and the following day at Alexandria. First question - Can anyone tell me how far out do HAL make the decision to cancel particular ports? Second question - If they make the decision prior to saiilng do they advise passengers ? Third question - if these ports are cancelled does that mean we get 2 extra days at sea or do HAL try to arrange alternate ports.

Thank you to anyone that can answer these questions for me it would be much appreciated.:):)

Port cancelations can be weeks in advance or very last minute. In the Egypt case, I suspect the decision will be made in advance, but maybe not more than a week or two in advance.

Yes, they try to announce to pax cancelations when made in advance.

Whether or not replacement port(s) are arranged is a very complex question. It is not a simple phone call at the last minute to add a port or two. The amount of lead time is very important.

A couple of times we had letters in our cabins about a port being cancelled. One time -- no new port added -- just another sea day. The other time another port was added.

It all depends on how busy (already booked) some ports are. Remember that some ports can not handle a lot of ships.

On our upcoming cruise we received the following note from our TA (from HAL) - the change was not a big major port changer ...

"Dear Travel Partner,

Our records indicate that you have clients booked on the following voyage. We regret to inform you that your client’s voyage itinerary has changed:

ms Oosterdam

April 13, 2014 28-Day South Pacific Crossing - Sydney to Vancouver (B.C.)

As a gesture of our appreciation for booked guests who choose to retain their reservation on board this sailing or choose any 2014 Australia/New Zealand 28-days or longer; a Shipboard Credit (SBC) will be applied to your client’s new booking based on the stateroom category booked on the new cruise: · $150 per person (up to $300 per stateroom) for Verandah Suite bookings"

We are booked for 22 day Adriatic & Ancient Explorer cruise in August. There is a 1 day port of call at Port Said and the following day at Alexandria. First question - Can anyone tell me how far out do HAL make the decision to cancel particular ports? Second question - If they make the decision prior to saiilng do they advise passengers ? Third question - if these ports are cancelled does that mean we get 2 extra days at sea or do HAL try to arrange alternate ports.

Thank you to anyone that can answer these questions for me it would be much appreciated.:):)

HAL likely is discussing the issue now as are all cruise lines with calls scheduled in Egypt. It is safe to assume, there is a strong chance those calls will be cancelled. They are not always fast with releasing info about the changes but, of course, we don't know when final decisions are actually made. We have been on cruises when ports were cancelled and we had 'relaxing days at sea' in their place and we have also had substitutions. No way to predice, yet, what will happen re: Egypt.

It is understandable you'd be anxious for information but sadly there is little to do but wait. Calling a rep in Seattle would not assure getting accurate, absolute updates. They probably don't know any more than us at this point.

Every cruise we have been on for the past three years have had some kind of port change. In 2011 on a transatlantic we had to skip Funchal in the because of bad weather enroute. We did not know we would miss the port until about 24 hours in advance. In October, 2012 we had to miss Tunis because of political unrest. Reading the news in the weeks before departure we had thought we might have to skip Tunis. We did not have final word until we arrived on the ship, six days before we were to be in Tunis. We had not made any shore excursion arrangements, knowing there might be a change. HAL substituted a port in Sardinia.

Earlier this year we were on the Buenos Aires-Boston cruise around Cape Horn. As a result of bad weather we missed two ports and sailing around Cape Horn. We did not know we would miss ports until the morning of the day we were to arrive. HAL substituted one port. We did not know where we would port until about two days before arrival.

You will have to hang loose. From reading the news and based our experience with Tunis last year, HAL will skip Egypt and substitute a port in a less volatile country.

In 2002 we were on the Volendam when the bombing in a Bali nightclub happened and that stop was cancelled almost immediately and another [ Australia - Broome] substituted.

1. I think HAL did the correct thing -if there were ANY question of violence etc - illnesses or whatever -THEY kept us safe and for 1400 or so passengers -that's valid!

2. The port of Broome Au was a lovely port and completely different from Sydney! THAT was a WONDERFUL day too [They mine/produce "Chocolate diamonds" there]

3. I think that since that longish cruise [ we're doing a 75 day Asia/WWII on "Amsterdam" in September 2013] HAL has been my "choice" of cruiselines BECAUSE of the concern for "our" [1400] safety.

4. I think ADDING extra days is not often even an option BECAUSE of connecting cruises/port arrangements for dis & embarking pass.

5. I can't guarantee this but I LOVE HAL in that I TRUST them to tell us! We are 700 day cruisers with HAL and we have sailed other lines [ Carnival, Celebrity,Regent, Cunard];)

Anne from Colorado

Cancelled ports happen and there's always a reason (weather/safety are the prime ones).

Last time when we were to go to St. Tropez the storm was severe and the dock destroyed so the Captain announced we would proceed straight away to Barcelona and he had permission to stay overnight there. (now that's making lemonade out of lemons). On the other hand, we have also just had sea days. The crew is quick to set up activities on board and try to make the best of it:D

We have a Far East cruise booked for February, and we have already had two notifications of changes of itinerary. That said, on the Prinsendam two years ago, we were supposed to have two different ports in Israel, but when some shelling of one port occurred, we spent two nights instead, at the other. And then, of course, there are always last minute changes/cancellations due to weather. I think a last minute change is probably the most common, and for that, you get a glass of "champagne" with dinner as compensation (plus any port fees, of course). Things may have calmed down in Egypt by August, you never know! Good luck. Of course, if there's enough time, they may be able to arrange another port, but I think sometimes the berths are booked long in advance.

Thank for all the replies, it is as I thought that we will probably be in a wait & see mode. I am sure these ports will be cancelled as I cant see the lie of the land in Egypt changing too much in the next 6 weeks. I'm all for taking mine & all the other passengers safety as the defining line rather than fees, inconvenience etc into consideration. What ever should happen I am sure we will have a great time with lots of special HAl memories.:):)

In 2002 we were on the Volendam when the bombing in a Bali nightclub happened and that stop was cancelled almost immediately and another [ Australia - Broome] substituted.

1. I think HAL did the correct thing -if there were ANY question of violence etc - illnesses or whatever -THEY kept us safe and for 1400 or so passengers -that's valid!

2. The port of Broome Au was a lovely port and completely different from Sydney! THAT was a WONDERFUL day too [They mine/produce "Chocolate diamonds" there]

3. I think that since that longish cruise [ we're doing a 75 day Asia/WWII on "Amsterdam" in September 2013] HAL has been my "choice" of cruiselines BECAUSE of the concern for "our" [1400] safety.

4. I think ADDING extra days is not often even an option BECAUSE of connecting cruises/port arrangements for dis & embarking pass.

5. I can't guarantee this but I LOVE HAL in that I TRUST them to tell us! We are 700 day cruisers with HAL and we have sailed other lines [ Carnival, Celebrity,Regent, Cunard];)

Anne from Colorado

Of course, I am sure you include safety of the crew, as well.

I'm not being smart mouth but it strikes me add worry for crew on all the ships.

On any cruise, the cruise line reserves the right to change the itinerary at any time. It's all spelled out in your cruise contract.

True. The cruise contract is an interesting read and yes, it allows the line to do just about anything it wants. Everyone should read a cruise contract sometime.

We have had itineraries changed before and during a cruise. We even had a ship change once. In the latter case, we were advised pre-cruise and were given the option to cancel, which we didn't.

That said, I really think HAL tries to give you the cruise you paid for and changes like these are not usual. In the case of Egypt the OP is referencing, I bet it is history and alternate ports are being arranged as we speak. If they cannot be then it will be extra days at sea. HAL I would think would advise ASAP.

ANSalberg,

Remember it well. Broome was certainly an interesting and unexpected port.

It was also so sad for the Indonesian crew as we were scheduled for Bali and parties were planned for their families that could meet the ship. As we sailed by Bali (close enough to see land) many crew were on the deck saying to passengers - that is where my family is. (I have never seen so many dinning room and cabin stewards on the deck before.)

On our upcoming cruise we received the following note from our TA (from HAL) - the change was not a big major port changer ...

"Dear Travel Partner,

Our records indicate that you have clients booked on the following voyage. We regret to inform you that your client’s voyage itinerary has changed:

ms Oosterdam

As a gesture of our appreciation for booked guests who choose to retain their reservation on board this sailing or choose any 2014 Australia/New Zealand 28-days or longer; a Shipboard Credit (SBC) will be applied to your client’s new booking based on the stateroom category booked on the new cruise: · $150 per person (up to $300 per stateroom) for Verandah Suite bookings"

What changes have been made to the itinerary?

So far 2 cruises and 2 itinerary changes.

Oct Med- skipped Florence/Livorno due to bad weather for Sardinia- I was sad to miss Florence but I'll get there someday. I was happy that I got another port and not a sea day. Good on HAL

Feb Eastern Caribbean-skipped Turks due to bad weather. The Captain tried, he really did. A sea day but really where else was there to go.

I think HAL tries their best to do the right thing even though the cruise contract basically says they can do what they want.

I think HAL did the best they could do with the hand they were dealt. I was satisfied.

As for ports in the middle east I would say buyer beware.

I was there boots on the ground for Arab Spring and although I never felt threatened but it could have changed in a second and I would have cautioned a cruise ship docking. Luck of the draw.

"Dear Travel Partner,

ms Oosterdam

When we got a letter like this (through our TA) it meant a MAJOR change to the itinerary. There was an attachment with the changes, and also a choice of itineraries we might like to change to. Have you looked on line at the new itinerary?

Of course, I am sure you include safety of the crew, as well.

I'm not being smart mouth but it strikes me add worry for crew on all the ships.

Actually I remember that cruise very well in that the crew was devastated that we weren't stopping in Bali as MANY families had planned to get together. Someone made arrangements in the kitchen for a HUGE strip of Brown-paper -where you could write or draw something FOR the crew to say "We're SORRY this happened" AND the huge sheet was completely full.

As I remarked -we've cruised several lines since we retired BUT HAL the most and HAL BECAUSE of the Indonesian crew. My FAVORITE story about that BELOVED crew [on ALL HAL ships, BTW] was being in Barcelona [?] the same time as the Amsterdam was there; This time WE were on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We took our time to get off and were strolling into town -we saw a LONG line of crew waiting to see the "Nieuw" for the first time from "our" old ship -when here came Andre - our diningroom steward who THREW his arms around me and gave me a big hug!

I think WE ALL - consistant cruisers -are aware that that Crew makes ALL the difference! Why else would we keep going back and back - but for the crew!? :)

ANSalberg,

Remember it well. Broome was certainly an interesting and unexpected port.

It was also so sad for the Indonesian crew as we were scheduled for Bali and parties were planned for their families that could meet the ship. As we sailed by Bali (close enough to see land) many crew were on the deck saying to passengers - that is where my family is. (I have never seen so many dinning room and cabin stewards on the deck before.)

Yes, Rosalie - I remember it well - I cried FOR them back in the room! ALL the small boats sailing out with what looked like Mothers or Wives looking [for] their "boys/men" ?

See you in September!!!!!!!!! ;)

Actually I remember that cruise very well in that the crew was devastated that we weren't stopping in Bali as MANY families had planned to get together. Someone made arrangements in the kitchen for a HUGE strip of Brown-paper -where you could write or draw something FOR the crew to say "We're SORRY this happened" AND the huge sheet was completely full.

As I remarked -we've cruised several lines since we retired BUT HAL the most and HAL BECAUSE of the Indonesian crew. My FAVORITE story about that BELOVED crew [on ALL HAL ships, BTW] was being in Barcelona [?] the same time as the Amsterdam was there; This time WE were on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We took our time to get off and were strolling into town -we saw a LONG line of crew waiting to see the "Nieuw" for the first time from "our" old ship -when here came Andre - our diningroom steward who THREW his arms around me and gave me a big hug!

I think WE ALL - consistant cruisers -are aware that that Crew makes ALL the difference! Why else would we keep going back and back - but for the crew!? :)

I think it was Cartegena, if you are talking about the time on our joint cruise that the passengers from the Amsterdam were invited to lunch on the Nieuw Amsterdam. It was the place where we walked up the hill past the old bullfight arena to the old fort at the top which overlooked the Roman ruins on one side and had a gorgeous view of the two ships together on the other.

It was a very charming place. Just checked it out on Google Maps before posting and that was the city.

By the way-----Hi and nice to see you posting.

Two thumbs up. :)

HAL is ALL about the people, for us.

Yes, the ships are beautiful and comfortable and the ports are wonderful but it's the officers/crew/staff that make HAL what HAL is.

I think it was Cartegena, if you are talking about the time on our joint cruise that the passengers from the Amsterdam were invited to lunch on the Nieuw Amsterdam. It was the place where we walked up the hill past the old bullfight arena to the old fort

Hi, Sapper - YOU are right [ That's why I couldn't remember/put the ? next] That WAS a lovely cruise! GOOD to hear from you!!!!! :) Anne

Two thumbs up. :)

HAL is ALL about the people, for us.

Yes, the ships are beautiful and comfortable and the ports are wonderful but it's the officers/crew/staff that make HAL what HAL is.

Exactly! Sapper helped too- I was trying to help the OP to understand the thought process of the Captain etc -in changing. And to be perfectly frank, I don't think the crew ever gets into the SAME kinds of trouble that foolish passengers get into; AND then "it's all Holland America's fault" ....And recognise that "Fault" MAY include coffee being luke warm [ I read it here] rather than the WONDER of an adventure of a Grand cruise. Collector cruises [new] are terrific because it allows you to BUILD on a 7/10/14 day cruise.

So many people want a single answer when there isn't one! Tipping is probably a bone of contention on WHY; BUT with passengers from SO many countries and cultures -many don't "do" tips, HAL possibly added the daily to HELP those people who don't use "our" system [ among other reasons]

There ARE knowledgeable cruisers from ALL over the world, but sometimes [ LIKE the Bali explanation] thinking from event A to decision B is a little mixed; THANK GOODNESS we have CC - That too, has its drawbacks; There are 60 couples or individuals on our role call for the Fall/Amsterdam cruise to Asia; at BEST that is about 15 % of the passenger count. Questions can be asked /answered there - but most DON'T use CC -or possibly computers at all -for THAT! Getting UNDERSTANDABLE answers isn't always easy!

Anne

Prinsendam cruise, fall of 2011 ... we were supposed to stop in Alexandria, but then the Arab Spring happened ... they cancelled ... but a few months later when things had calmed down, they reinstated it, and we a wonderful day visiting Cairo and the pyramids ... they will cancel if they think it's unsafe, but they will reinstate if things change again.

(that was the same Prinsendam cruise mentioned twice in this thread, that missed St. Tropez and went to Barcelona, and that had the shelling in Ashdod (Israel) so we spent two nights in Haifa)

Hi, I have read that Thompson Cruises and AIDA Cruises have both confirmed that their ships won't stop in Egypt. I want to book the Noordam departing the 15th August and stopping in Said and Alexandria, but I am waiting for if Holland makes something like both cruiselines did, they will replace their Egypt ports by Ashdod, Israel, Haifa, Israel and Crete. I think they should at least say something in respect to this topic! I am willing to book the cruise and if they would commuicate that they are skipping the Egypt ports I would definitely book the cruise! I don't think that with the actual situation, stopping in Egypt is safe!

Archived