Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

8 hours ago, LIZZIED1951 said:

Nancy, I look forward to meeting you on the ship!  I’ve heard the train from Seattle to Vancouver is wonderful.  I couldn’t get enough extra time for that so I’m flying into Vancouver & back home from Seattle.

I’m looking forward to fun  & relaxing cruise!

I believe it is the only time that Royal will be doing anything longer than 7 days, so am very excited about this!!!  Hope to see you at M&M?

Nancy

14 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Nancy, I am not on the cruise but I have taken the train from Seattle to Vancouver before. It is a lovely ride with some beautiful scenery:classic_smile:

Hi Lois, and thank you for your input!  I know I will likely take the first train early, to insure no issues with boarding, but it will be quite the experience, I'm certain. Are you from that area?  

Nancy

Hi Nancy, I am not on the cruise but I have taken the train from Seattle to Vancouver before. It is a lovely ride with some beautiful scenery:classic_smile:

Hi Lois!

Finally trying out Celebrity next year on a 12 night Southern Caribbean on the Equinox.  Found a price that was reasonable with the $25 deposit.  Can't wait

3 hours ago, taylorna said:

I believe it is the only time that Royal will be doing anything longer than 7 days, so am very excited about this!!!  Hope to see you at M&M?

Nancy

Nancy,

please check times available for the train as train as I believe it only runs in afternoon.  I think there’s a bus for the morning.

I plan to attend the M & M - when will we know where & when?  Will be my first time to attend one of those get togethers!

1 hour ago, airlink diva said:

Hi Lois!

Finally trying out Celebrity next year on a 12 night Southern Caribbean on the Equinox.  Found a price that was reasonable with the $25 deposit.  Can't wait

Hi Nancy & Lois!

I’m sailing on Celebrity Constellation in November for an 8 night southern Caribbean- looking forward to it!  Yours sounds lovely and LONGER!

4 hours ago, taylorna said:

Hi Lois, and thank you for your input!  I know I will likely take the first train early, to insure no issues with boarding, but it will be quite the experience, I'm certain. Are you from that area?  

Nancy

Hi, nope, I am from Florida but have sailed to Alaska multiple times over the years and I took the early morning train from Seattle to Vancouver.  Unless that has changed...….I have always taken the train north and then take a bus ride back from Vancouver to Seattle.

49 minutes ago, LIZZIED1951 said:

Nancy,

please check times available for the train as train as I believe it only runs in afternoon.  I think there’s a bus for the morning.

I plan to attend the M & M - when will we know where & when?  Will be my first time to attend one of those get togethers!

When did that happen? I have always taken the train north......there was always a 7:30am train to Vancouver.

1 hour ago, LIZZIED1951 said:

Nancy,

It's usually the first sea day, often day 2 or later.  There will be a notice in your cabin on day 1, not to worry!

And per Amtrak's schedule online, there is a train at 7:45 arriving Vancouver at 11:45.   should be good?

Nancy

2 hours ago, taylorna said:

It's usually the first sea day, often day 2 or later.  There will be a notice in your cabin on day 1, not to worry!

And per Amtrak's schedule online, there is a train at 7:45 arriving Vancouver at 11:45.   should be good?

Nancy

Yes, that is the train I have taken too!

On 1/11/2019 at 12:03 PM, JustLil said:

NCL Getaway Feb 10-17 Western Caribbean from Miami anyone? This is my 1st cruise and solo yet!

Lil

i have been on this ship before. It is very nice with lots of entertainment.

Most ports are nice as well.

sammy

On 7/7/2013 at 2:28 PM, 42CruiseCrazy said:

This new thread is for Solo Cruisers to tell people about the next cruise they are planning and for other Solo Cruisers to refer to if they want to know if there will be other Solo passengers on a particular cruise that he or she is planning to book. Please follow the same format so that the posts on this thread will be easy to follow. The name of the ship and date should appear in the Title and then you can write your message in the body of the post. Please be sure to join in and periodically check the "Roll Call" for that Cruise Sailing, as well. Any conversations with other Cruise Critic members are better done on the Roll Call thread rather that this thread since this thread will likely cover several different cruises. Let's see how this works........

I realize this thread was written in 2013. You’re dead wrong when it comes to what you said about roll calls. 

I’m very new to cruising and I joined a roll call for my upcoming Princess cruise in October. I’ve made a few posts to introduce myself and I’ve made an attempt to talk to people but they are so cliquey they wouldn’t give me the time of day if I asked. They talk amongst themselves and have zero interest in newcomers. It’s really a turn off and I almost regret booking this voyage. 

On the brighter side, and I haven’t read all the thousands of posts in this thread, but there seems to be a better comradery on this thread. People actually talk to each other. What a treat!

Glenn

9 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

I realize this thread was written in 2013. You’re dead wrong when it comes to what you said about roll calls. 

I’m very new to cruising and I joined a roll call for my upcoming Princess cruise in October. I’ve made a few posts to introduce myself and I’ve made an attempt to talk to people but they are so cliquey they wouldn’t give me the time of day if I asked. They talk amongst themselves and have zero interest in newcomers. It’s really a turn off and I almost regret booking this voyage. 

On the brighter side, and I haven’t read all the thousands of posts in this thread, but there seems to be a better comradery on this thread. People actually talk to each other. What a treat!

Glenn

Glenn, I'm sorry. Some people just don't reach out. Things might get a bunch better closer to cruise time. We're cruising in 3 weeks, and I still haven't faithfully tracked roll call activity. Too much other stuff on my mind. 

Glenn,

My March Carnival cruise Roll Call is mostly silent and when I mentioned it I was told that all of the activity was on the Facebook page. Maybe you would have better luck finding friendly people there.  For myself, I will never know.  I don't do Facebook, but I did want to mention the option.

12 hours ago, Grburkart said:

Glenn

Don't regret booking the voyage because of a roll call! It's your trip and you will make it good--for you.  Maybe it is just a real "clique-y" roll call; they arenot all like that. Be more agressive and tell them they are not letting new people in their conversations, or try to join an excursion. There will usually be someone who will reach out.   Good luck. And if it doesn't happen with the roll call, don't worry. You enjoy your own trip.

1 hour ago, JoseyP said:

Don't regret booking the voyage because of a roll call! It's your trip and you will make it good--for you.  Maybe it is just a real "clique-y" roll call; they arenot all like that. Be more agressive and tell them they are not letting new people in their conversations, or try to join an excursion. There will usually be someone who will reach out.   Good luck. And if it doesn't happen with the roll call, don't worry. You enjoy your own trip.

Thanks for the advice. I will enjoy the trip. I suppose I was a tad moody when I wrote the post and feeling sorry for myself. I am actually so looking forward to this voyage. 

On the lighter side... cliquey is the correct spelling according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary. I actually had to look that up. Lol. I’m kind of a grammar nerd BUT I make tons of mistakes as well. 

Glenn

Glenn,

I saw your roll call, and people did respond to you, a while back.  If they are busy making their own plans, and trying to email each other, you are not gonna be involved. the cruise sounds like a fantastic one. I wish i could go. I've been on a few European ones, and 4 transatlantics.  If you want feed back or advice, maybe you should start with a new topic on the thread. And remember, there is still lots of time before your cruise. The roll call will get more lively . Just keep tabs and try to participate.  You are going to have a great and memorable time!

Edited by JoseyP

3 minutes ago, JoseyP said:

Glenn,

I saw your roll call, and people did respond to you, a while back.  If they are busy making their own plans, and trying to email each other, you are not gonna be involved. the cruise sounds like a fantastic one. I wish i could go. I've been on a few European ones, and 4 transatlantics.  If you want feed back or advice, maybe you should start with a new topic on the thread. And remember, there is still lots of time before your cruise. The roll call will get more lively . Just keep tabs and try to participate.  You are going to have a great and memorable time!

Thank you!  I’ve probably got it wrong and was expecting a different result. I enjoy a good discussion and in absence of that, my idle fingers become mischievous. 

Glenn

14 hours ago, Grburkart said:

Glenn

Glenn your experience doesn't match mine.  Having said that... every one doesn't click.  Just because you join a group, doesn't mean everyone will accept you.  I'm going on my 2nd cruise ever and this upcoming cruise (Feb 2nd), 49 days is filled with folks who have cruised before together at some time and point.  It is loaded with "Elite and Platinum"  passengers.  I at first read through as much of the Roll Call as possible so I could get a feel of the land.  I asked questions nicely, and as a Certified Group Exercise Instructor, I ran an idea I had regarding teaching/leading Chair Aerobics classes on Sea Days.  These folks don't know me from a hole-in-the-ground.

I have 75 people signed up for Chair Aerobics and 37 names to give to the ED of people who want to either learn and/or play Pickleball.  I also got a group order going of T-shirts, Polo Shirts, and V-Neck Shirts, which is being shipped as we speak to my hotel.  Again, these folks don't know me.  All they know is how I interact with them on the Roll Call.  I have email address (needed to communicate with them regarding shirts; Chair A. and Pickleball.  I've provided links to Youtube videos of Pickleball game play, rules, tips and tricks.  

In order to get friends, one has to be friendly.  Are you going to "Click" with everyone? NO.  Some folks you may Click and you may Cluck with others and you can't make a clucker click.  Your big toe is attached to your body and is a part of you and answers to your name; however, how often does your Big Toe hang out with your neck which is still part of you body and also called by your name.  You may need to do a personal check in the mirror and ask the question: Am I demanding from others what I am not willing to do for myself.  If the answer you truthfully give to yourself is Yes... Some changes in your expectations are necessary.  We are not disappointed by what we find, we are disappointed by what we expected to find.  We all need to learn how to manage our expectations.  

There are over 300 people on my Roll Call and for the 11 1/2 months that I've been on, I already know the people I'll click with but there is also a lot more I will Cluck with.  Find your clickers.

Ramona

1 hour ago, NotThePest_Too said:

Glenn your experience doesn't match mine.  Having said that... every one doesn't click.  Just because you join a group, doesn't mean everyone will accept you.  I'm going on my 2nd cruise ever and this upcoming cruise (Feb 2nd), 49 days is filled with folks who have cruised before together at some time and point.  It is loaded with "Elite and Platinum"  passengers.  I at first read through as much of the Roll Call as possible so I could get a feel of the land.  I asked questions nicely, and as a Certified Group Exercise Instructor, I ran an idea I had regarding teaching/leading Chair Aerobics classes on Sea Days.  These folks don't know me from a hole-in-the-ground.

I have 75 people signed up for Chair Aerobics and 37 names to give to the ED of people who want to either learn and/or play Pickleball.  I also got a group order going of T-shirts, Polo Shirts, and V-Neck Shirts, which is being shipped as we speak to my hotel.  Again, these folks don't know me.  All they know is how I interact with them on the Roll Call.  I have email address (needed to communicate with them regarding shirts; Chair A. and Pickleball.  I've provided links to Youtube videos of Pickleball game play, rules, tips and tricks.  

In order to get friends, one has to be friendly.  Are you going to "Click" with everyone? NO.  Some folks you may Click and you may Cluck with others and you can't make a clucker click.  Your big toe is attached to your body and is a part of you and answers to your name; however, how often does your Big Toe hang out with your neck which is still part of you body and also called by your name.  You may need to do a personal check in the mirror and ask the question: Am I demanding from others what I am not willing to do for myself.  If the answer you truthfully give to yourself is Yes... Some changes in your expectations are necessary.  We are not disappointed by what we find, we are disappointed by what we expected to find.  We all need to learn how to manage our expectations.  

There are over 300 people on my Roll Call and for the 11 1/2 months that I've been on, I already know the people I'll click with but there is also a lot more I will Cluck with.  Find your clickers.

Ramona

Thank you Ramona. I take back what was written and attribute it to silliness. There are 29 people in my roll call so, obviously, I haven’t given it a chance. Heck, it’s only January and we don’t sail until October. Sometimes I don’t see things clearly and I need to step back and listen to others. Your input adds clarity. 

Glenn

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:52 AM, airlink diva said:

Hi Lois!

Hi:classic_smile:........ironic, I have not sailed with Celebrity in a few years now.  I hope you have a great cruise:classic_biggrin: