Savings Cert Question

I was able to combine both. I just had to give up the OBC of the wow sale. Still got reduced deposit along with my diamond discount and savings certificate. The rep told me it wasn't combining if I was taking the wow sale OBC.

I just booked the Allure when the new savings certificates came out last week and I was told that I could only use one discount.....the Diamond Plus balcony discount or the Savings Certificate discount, but not both.

Which seems that they should comply with the T&C's written that accompany this quarter's saving certificates and make the change in wording with next quarters certificates.

What a PR mess RCI has turned this into :eek:

That is usually the case whenever RCI makes changes. They think things through so well. I really don't know how the ships provide such an amazing product considering how things work in Miami.

It is material to me since I have cruised with RCI before but not enough to qualify for the balcony discount.

After this cruise I think it will be immaterial to me but not sure on that.

Bill

You are right. There are some groups where a C&A certificate would be applicable to a balcony booking. I didn't mean to overlook your scenario. Sorry.

I was able to combine both. I just had to give up the OBC of the wow sale. Still got reduced deposit along with my diamond discount and savings certificate. The rep told me it wasn't combining if I was taking the wow sale OBC.

I just booked the Allure when the new savings certificates came out last week and I was told that I could only use one discount.....the Diamond Plus balcony discount or the Savings Certificate discount, but not both.

I know there is change coming, I just don't know what it is.

Well, whatever the change is apparently it has nothing to do with consistancy.

Ellen, I was afraid to ask, but see my response to Bob below.

I believe that this is one of the new changes in their booking system.

Patti, are you saying you think they have changed the rules, and we can combine savings certificates with balcony discounts? Or maybe they are experiencing some issues with the new booking system, and it's allowing combinations that they don't want?

I am just getting more and more confused!!!!:eek::p

Interesting. You are the second or third person that has recently reported being able to combine the balcony discount with a savings certificate. This has not been allowed for years. I wonder if more rule changes are in the works?

I just got off the phone with C&A and they would not allow the combining. They did confirm the new rules about the certificates only being applicable to cruises booked in the quarter that the certificates are valid but emphatically stated that there is no changes to combinability of offers. Looks like we have a training issue here. I'm hoping that the person that I was talking to needs the training but I do think the previous posters who were able to combine the 2 discounts lucked out.

It would seem the reps are either misinformed or just seem to be making mistakes. Either way I'm glad they gave me the combined discount.

I just got off the phone with C&A and they would not allow the combining. They did confirm the new rules about the certificates only being applicable to cruises booked in the quarter that the certificates are valid but emphatically stated that there is no changes to combinability of offers. Looks like we have a training issue here. I'm hoping that the person that I was talking to needs the training but I do think the previous posters who were able to combine the 2 discounts lucked out.

I also made a call to C&A this afternoon after hearing some had been able to combine...Not in the system the rep was using that I talked to...I got the same response as you. No "double dipping" ;)

It would seem the reps are either misinformed or just seem to be making mistakes. Either way I'm glad they gave me the combined discount.

Congrats :D....But surprised the "system" let them do it :confused:

Congrats :D....But surprised the "system" let them do it :confused:

It's not done by the system. The reps Job is to see under what terms the reservation was booked then cross references the information they were given regarding certain sales. I.e. wow. To see what is combinable and what is not. It was my reps job to recognize my discounts should be applied. The system very much will let them do it. Im not the first this has happened too nor will I bethe last.

It's not done by the system. The reps Job is to see under what terms the reservation was booked then cross references the information they were given regarding certain sales. I.e. wow. To see what is combinable and what is not. It was my reps job to recognize my discounts should be applied. The system very much will let them do it. Im not the first this has happened too nor will I bethe last.

Just surprised you were able to combine discounts which usually can't be done or at least by most of us... but again Congrats to you...I had no idea they (personally) had the power to make these decisions when they complete a booking and the system allowed it...

Just surprised you were able to combine discounts which usually can't be done or at least by most of us... but again Congrats to you...I had no idea they (personally) had the power to make these decisions when they complete a booking and the system allowed it...

As stated I'm not the only one this has happened too on cc. Either for lack of knowledge or just lazy employees it seems some people have made it through. Not saying its the norm. But does happen.

I wasn't trying to pull anything over on anyone. As this is my first balcony and first time using the discount I just assumed they were combinable. Crown and anchor rewards should be rewards, in my opinion; not pick and choose. Just sayin' :rolleyes:

I am grateful for the savings though:)

I just sent an email to my PC contact at C&A. My question to her was as follows.....

"Question regarding the C&A Savings Certificates. Has there been a change in the procedure for applying a certificate? What I mean is, can a certificate be applied to an existing reservation or does it have to be booked during the quarter that the Certificate is available"?

Her answer to me...........

"You are correct in saying that the cruise has to be booked during the quarter that the Savings Certificate is issued for. Our saving certificates have always had a book between date, but along the way exceptions were made to apply saving certificates to bookings as long it was booked in or prior to the current quarter. That exception became the norm... With our new booking system rolling out very soon it will only let us apply certificates if it is valid at that time. So we are reinforcing the true policy now to get everybody ready for that adjustment".

Here is a follow up email that I just received to what exactly their "new booking" system will entail..........

"The new system will allow agents to ask qualifying questions like age, state of residence, police or fire, member #. After we have entered that information into the system it will show us the best rate/value based on the qualifiers. This way we can assist our guests by giving them the best price/value quickly rather than having to search for best price".

And about combining C&A Certificates with Balcony Discount..........

"Balcony discounts and saving certificates can not be used together and that will not be changing. Sounds like they were added in human error for the guests that received both discounts".

Here is a follow up email that I just received to what exactly their "new booking" system will entail..........

"The new system will allow agents to ask qualifying questions like age, state of residence, police or fire, member #. After we have entered that information into the system it will show us the best rate/value based on the qualifiers. This way we can assist our guests by giving them the best price/value quickly rather than having to search for best price".

"Balcony discounts and saving certificates can not be used together and that will not be changing. Sounds like they were added in human error for the guests that received both discounts".

Thanks Patti! :)

Thanks Patti!!!

First of all, if someone has 15 cruises booked it means RCI is holding on to $7500.00 of deposit money ($15,000.00 if we are talking suites). I'm sure RCI has no complaints about that. I also suspect that they did this (double deposit) to ward off the exact problem that you mentioned of trying to find a GS 6 - 12 months out.

No, the smart cruisers will have "Next Cruise" Certificates where they only put $200 deposit. And I cited ONE person I heard of who had that many cruises booked and YES that ONE person ended up actually going on TWO of the cruises - the others were dropped at the last minute at no loss to him.

A lot of others who are taking advantage of this situation WILL have 5-10 cruises booked with the intention of going on 4 or 5.

Secondly, people who book way out are probably booking something other than inside or OV cabins so even if a coupon comes out later it is of no use against most C&A balcony discounts. So it is immaterial to the subject of this thread which is the C&A coupons. And inside and OV cabins can be found on almost any sailing the week before the ship departs. So the coupon incentive is not limiting anyone from being to book a cruise.

THAT'S why they have the coupons - to sell the cabins that are not booking.

Thirdly, you suggested RCI have a non-refundable $100.00 cancellation fee. RCI is already providing a lot of incentive, because of some of their policies, for plenty of people to put off booking until later. I think that they should be careful about adding more fuel to that strategy. Imagine if more people adopt that method of booking. Six months out from sailing RCI finds themselves with an empty ship and here comes a sale to get people to book. Maybe not a bad idea for the consumer but not of much benefit to RCI's bottom line. And since you are suggesting to RCI that they keep our deposit money I can only think that RCI's bottom line much be your first priority.

OK, you asked.

What they have now, is what they THINK is a full ship, but then a lot of cabins suddenly become available right around Final Payment time. And then they put out discounts to try to sell the cabins. Why do you think they made the rule that banned getting price drops after final payments?

Disagree....Many of us that book when the itinerary opens are getting our cabins/locations at (usually) one of the best value rates...On the rare occasion that those are cancelled, those prime cabins but at much higher rates are returned to RCI to sell..so RCI has had our original deposit and then gets the cabin back to make even more money usually up front due to final payment timeframe .Book the cabin available to you at time of booking and keep checking for the cabin you wish you had booked if you had done it sooner .

They get those cabins when it is very late in the booking cycle, and they have to DISCOUNT the price to sell it. And it's after final payment so I can't take advantage of it then without a HUGE hassle.

I read that there is a certificate for our cruise this coming February. I called C&A about an hour ago and had a pleasant conversation with their rep. He said that the policy of not applying a certificate retroactively had been in effect for some time, but that it had not been enforced. He told me they had gotten clear instructions that it had to be by the book now.

I asked if he had any knowledge of "appealing" to a supervisor and he said he only knew of one case where there was an issue and that had been done, and he did not know the outcome.

So, it looks like "customer disservice" has found another way to make us feel loved :rolleyes:.

By the way (reference DHADEN's comment about nextcruises), one can get a Next Cruise for only $100 by only putting in one person. The second one is added later if desired.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I read that there is a certificate for our cruise this coming February. I called C&A about an hour ago and had a pleasant conversation with their rep. He said that the policy of not applying a certificate retroactively had been in effect for some time, but that it had not been enforced. He told me they had gotten clear instructions that it had to be by the book now.

I asked if he had any knowledge of "appealing" to a supervisor and he said he only knew of one case where there was an issue and that had been done, and he did not know the outcome.

So, it looks like "customer disservice" has found another way to make us feel loved :rolleyes:.

By the way (reference DHADEN's comment about nextcruises), one can get a Next Cruise for only $100 by only putting in one person. The second one is added later if desired.

Happy Sails to You

There have been reports where folks have cancelled and re-booked to use the coupon if the price is the same as when you booked.

No, the smart cruisers will have "Next Cruise" Certificates where they only put $200 deposit.

RCI still wins. Now they have you on the hook for at least one more cruise and don't have to worry about you being enticed away.

Happy Sails to You

It has nothing to do with customer dis-service. The C&A rep was just following the instructions given......which appears to not be the case with all C&A reps.:(

As far as adding another name to a NC.......one name is added at the time of creation and the second name must be added at the time of conversion.

It has nothing to do with customer dis-service. The C&A rep was just following the instructions given......which appears to not be the case with all C&A reps.:(

As far as adding another name to a NC.......one name is added at the time of creation and the second name must be added at the time of conversion.

Sometimes when I convert a NC to a specific cruise, I don't add the second name. Depends on if I'm pretty sure we're going to take the cruise, and I want to give them another $100 at that moment. Converting to a specific cruise puts a cap on the price, so if I add the second name later, it's at the same price as when I initially made the conversion.

Sometimes when I convert a NC to a specific cruise, I don't add the second name. Depends on if I'm pretty sure we're going to take the cruise, and I want to give them another $100 at that moment. Converting to a specific cruise puts a cap on the price, so if I add the second name later, it's at the same price as when I initially made the conversion.

I didn't realize that. I learned something new today!:D

Archived