Poll

I have posted may questions about if i should cruise in february 2014 out of NYC.

My family and I are looking at Carnival Splender in February. the ports of call are

nyc

2 days at sea

orlando

freeport, bahamas

nassau, bahamas

2 days at sea

nyc

I am curious to see who agrees that I should book? I would like to have good weather. this will only be our second cruise.

Of course, there are never any guarantees about weather. In February you will more than likely have some chilly days leaving and returning to NYC. Average February highs in the Bahamas are in the mid 70s. If you want a better chance of seven nice days then you need to sail from a southern port.

I love sea days and they don't have to outdoor days. There is always so much to do on a ship that I never get bored. I would book.

February

It will be chilly -- maybe even cold leaving and returning to NY -- that is 4 of your days.

We have been in Florida in February -- and there were times when it was chilly -- so Orlando may be cold.

Bahamas is not that far away -- again you could expect chilly weather.

JMO -- I am not one that wants to stay on the ship.

I would be looking for a cruise that goes deeper south in the Caribbean.

If you are going for the weather then I probably wouldn't pick this cruise. I went on it this past February (except on the Miracle instead of the Splendor) and it was quite chilly during the days as sea as well as in Florida. That being said, I had a wonderful time and I would go on again.

Current option - likely up to 4 chilly days but cheaper

Option I would take - sail out of Fll or Miami and have an entirely warm cruise but more expensive due to air/travel costs from NYC

If you are looking for warm why risk that half your cruise won't be. You will also find many more options for your cruise sailing out of the southern ports.

Just my thoughts.

My first rule when cruising in January and February especially is to look only at cruises that start in Florida or even better, San Juan PR. Save a cruise from New York for the summertime.:)

i would agree, but i am afraid of flying and i also thought i could save money by leaving from NYC. It is only 30 minutes driving from my house.

i would agree, but i am afraid of flying and i also thought i could save money by leaving from NYC. It is only 30 minutes driving from my house.

You have to balance price/convenience with weather/ports; that itinerary in February has a good chance of some poor to mediocre weather for much of the cruise and the ports IMHO are not all that exciting. Personally I would not do this cruise, but can see the draw if it is on the cheap and so close to where you reside.

Nassau & Freeport are off the coast of Miami. Sometimes the weather then is chilly, not really swimming weather. I would book something going farther south at that time of the year! Try these ports in April or later, maybe until October. Think about sailing from Baltimore. You could drive there the day before, find a hotel where you can leave your car and enjoy warm weather when you get to the ports! Charleston SC is farther but also a possibility.

Look at a Caribbean cruise from New York, instead of the Bahamas. Sea days are warmer because you will be in the Gulf Stream going to and from, and in seriously warm area once there.

Depends on how you feel about at sea days. I hate them so I wouldn't book that cruise and would find another. If you don't mind them though, you should at least have some warm days when you hit the southern waters and can plan some nice port activities there as well.

I would probably never book a winter cruise from the New York or Baltimore area because of the cold to cool days; also, Orlando and the Bahamas as ports just aren't that exciting and may be quite cool as well.

However, since I have to fly anyway (being from Nebraska), I might as well fly to Florida and go from there, with much better chances for nice warm weather in the Caribbean.

I can understand that it is much cheaper for you to just drive to the port. I think it depends on what you want out of the cruise. Warm weather? Interesting ports? Or just a get away with plenty to do indoors in cold weather, like gambling, drinking, shows, etc.

We have done a Caribbean cruise out of Norfolk at the end of February. Both the first day and the last day were cold, which really shortened our warm weather cruise. I wouldn't do it again. I'd rather fly to Florida in February.

We've taken Carnival out of Baltimore in January - chilly. Warm in Bahamas and Orlando (70s) but not beach weather. Did this cruise twice - enjoyed the relaxation (wore a jacket on deck or the balcony on the chilly days). If you are looking for a week away from work and the real cold of NYC, then take this cruise

If you want warmth, then take a longer cruise that goes to the Caribbean. The water and the weather will be warmer.

Archived