Can you eat breakfast in the dining room?

Does anyone ever eat in the dining room for breakfast instead of the windjammer? What kind of menu do they have?

Thank you!

Usually they have Eggs Benedict, omelettes, other varieties of eggs made to order, waffles, french toast, oatmeal. Most MDR's also have a buffet in addition to ordering off the menu. The buffet has cut up fruit, cold cereal, yogurt, etc. Once per cruise they usually have the chocolate breakfast (no reservations needed, no way to know which day it will be) where they will have items like pancakes with chocolate.

Breakfast in the main dining room is a much nicer experience then the Windjammer - in my opinion. There is a standard breakfast menu - eggs, bacon, pancakes you get the drift. Then in the middle of the room they have a cereal and granola bar, fresh fruit, yogurt. My DH usually orders off the menu, and I go to the granola bar. They come around with a pastry tray and bring you the juice and coffee that you would like. Seating is usually done in order of arrival at large tables, so that gives us the chance to chat with other cruisers since we dine alone in the evenings. However, you can certainly say that you prefer NOT to share and have a table for just your party.

Does anyone ever eat in the dining room for breakfast instead of the windjammer? What kind of menu do they have?

Thank you!

eggs benedict. every day. I vastly prefer brekkies in the MDR. there will also be a daily special french toast or pancake as well.. and Muesli bar with things like granola, fresh fruit, yoghurt.

Thank you!

I always try to eat breakfast in the MDR. However the menu is kind of boring as it's limited(compared to other lines like Princess, HAL or Celebrity)although you are able to order many things that are not on the menu, if you don't see what want just ask.

I always try to go there unless we are short on time. Sea days breakfast is always in the mDR. Hot food and usually more fresh. Also you can get eggs benedict, thought you might have to ask for them as they are not always on the menu.

I have to somewhat disagree with "the dining room is the way to go for breakfast!" The MDR breakfast is ok but If Im on a ship that has an egg station in the WJ where they cook them to order I dont usually go to the MDR. I like over medium eggs and they cant seem to get that right in the MDR. Ive also found service to be so so in the MDR and the food seems to be much more at correct temps in the WJ. I guess because of the heat lamps.

The funny thing about me is, I love a big table in the MDR and socializing for dinner. For breakfast though, Im not real social that early and I just want to eat and get on with my day.

The MDR IS great because you are being served though and there isnt the "cattle call" rush that is the WJ.

Just a different perspective and my opinion :)

My husband and I enjoy breakfast in the MDR. No rush, no hurry, relaxed beginning to the morning. You can usually get a small table for two (may have to wait - usually less than 5 minutes) or sit at a larger table and visit with others. Less temptation also. I can get the breakfast I want (similar to what I get at home) and not be tempted by all of the "goodies" upstairs (like waffles with whip cream and strawberries).

They have the chocolate breakfast for the character breakfast in a section of the MDR. I went to it with my grandkids - fantastic. A few days later, I saw another character breakfast in the corner of the room. I asked for the chocolate chips pancakes (not on our menu) if possible, and the waiter got them for me. Sometimes you're lucky and get two chocolate breakfasts on the cruise! If you have any little kids sailing with you, I strongly recommend the character breakfast. It was great! It was one of the highlights of the cruise for my grandchildren. The three and five year old are asking for "more cruise" because of this experience and others.

I figured I can hit any Luby's I want when home, but on vacation, I want someone else to do the work....Let them bring the food to me!

As for the trays..they disappeared for a pretty good reason.....WASTE. You still see folks pile, and I do mean pile the food on one or two plates, but with trays, it looked like some folks were stocking up food supplies for the winter....then they would leave and half the food would be still on the plates.

I am not sure about you, but I will take the inconvenience of the plate and no traay to hold down the waste and extra cost incurred by the folks that loved to pile it on.

Excuse me, while I contemplate ordering Eggs Benedict for breakfast on our next cruise

Our experience is that the WJ tends to be pretty packed for breakfast. So, if you go during the busy times (~7:30-9am), be prepared for the crowds.

The MDR is MUCH more relaxed, and a little more "elegant".

For us, we LOVE sitting by the window in the WJ - the view is spectacular (yes, they have "windows" in the MDR - but it's no where near the same). And, if you want a decent breakfast early, the selection is better in the WJ. When we wake up early - we tend to hit the WJ - otherwise, we go for the dining room.

In addition to the "cold buffet" (cereals, pastries, yogurt, fruits) in the MDR, my experience this spring on Navigator also had a limited warm buffet, with things like sausages, bacon, biscuits/gravy, small omelettes, scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, etc.

On the days I ate breakfast (I tend to stay up late and don't always rise early enough for a morning meal), I was more than satisfied with the food selection and the overall lack of hustle/bustle/crowds.

I would recommend trying the MDR one morning and trying the WJ one morning, then choosing the option that best suits your own personal wants/needs. Some people like the vast selection in the WJ, some people like the serenity of dining in the MDR -- just choose the one that suits your own personality!

Ditto....the dining room is the way to go for breakfast!!!

Not every one agrees with this sentiment. In our experience the service has been exceptionally slow and finding the assistant waiter to get a second serving of toast or pastries is frequently a challenge and the portion-controlled servings (picture an ice cream scoop serving of scrambled eggs):eek: are not to my liking. For breakfast, I prefer the wide range of breakfast options available in the Windjammer and the ability to take as much or as little of any item as one wants. For dinner I much prefer the MDR where the service is much different (better) but for convenience I will take the WJ over the dining room almost every time.

Not every one agrees with this sentiment. In our experience the service has been exceptionally slow and finding the assistant waiter to get a second serving of toast or pastries is frequently a challenge and the portion-controlled servings (picture an ice cream scoop serving of scrambled eggs):eek: are not to my liking. For breakfast, I prefer the wide range of breakfast options available in the Windjammer and the ability to take as much or as little of any item as one wants. For dinner I much prefer the MDR where the service is much different (better) but for convenience I will take the WJ over the dining room almost every time.

Exactly what Ive experienced every time Ive eaten breakfast in the MDR. The only thing better to me is the atmosphere and much smaller crowd.

I would recommend trying the MDR one morning and trying the WJ one morning, then choosing the option that best suits your own personal wants/needs. Some people like the vast selection in the WJ, some people like the serenity of dining in the MDR -- just choose the one that suits your own personality!

An excellent suggestion. Despite what some may think or post, there is no "one way that is right for everyone". Check out both options and decide which bests suits you.:)

Archived