Hilton Hawaiian Village

Cthy651

We have stayed there several times and will be returning in November. We like the location and the beach area. We don't usually rent a car but if you need one for a day you can rent it right in the hotel. They also can arrange tours for you if there is one you are interested in. There are plenty of hotels and restaurants to walk around to and explore.

Maryann

HHV is like it's own city. Those tall towers, shopping... It's definitely NOT intimate.

HHV does have the best stretch of beach of Waikiki. And, it has the 5 minute fireworks show every Friday evening, setting them off in the lagoon.

The room I had was more than adequate, in the Tapa Tower. They are doing renovations at HHV, which take quite a bit of time to do. But, that didn't bother me at all - I didn't hear any of it and, knowing it was happening, I just walked around it and ignored it.

HHV is at the one end of Waikiki, so you'll be walking or taking The Bus if you want to get anywhere down the main drag. It's not that bad (think of it as your daily exercise) of a walk. Heck, I did it every night, coming back from a few drinks at Duke's ;) Just avoid the tourist trap chain restaurants (Cheesecake Factory, Margaritaville, Hamburger in Pardise, etc) and strike out for some local favorites!!!

When we're in Waikiki we like an ocean front or ocean view room and have never been able to get as good a rate at HHV as Outrigger and SPG properties. We also really like the Diamond Head end of Waikiki. I hope you really enjoy your stay. Cherie

Thanks for your responses, one more question is the Internatinal Market Place nearby, and is it worth going to?

Personally, no. Another place with cheesy tourist souvenirs. I'm just not into that stuff. I prefer a Tshirt from the local surf or dive shop (or Leonard's Malasadas) and/or a pound of single-source organic Kona coffee for my presents ;) If you are looking for Best thing about the IMP to me is that I walk through it (on Duke's Lane) to Kuhio Ave and Marukame Udon :D

I'd suggest you look at the TripAdvisor reviews of the place to help you with this. I think it's one of those polarizing places - either you gotta go there or you avoid like the plague...

The International Marketplace will be undergoing a large redevelopment project starting late 2013 or early 2014. The main focus of the marketplace will now be a Saks Fifth Avenue store that will be built. The Miramar Hotel which is part of the marketplace will be torn down. I am not sure how or how much the marketplace will be changed, but most folks hate to see this happening with this iconic piece of Waikiki history.

The International Marketplace will be undergoing a large redevelopment project starting late 2013 or early 2014. The main focus of the marketplace will now be a Saks Fifth Avenue store that will be built. The Miramar Hotel which is part of the marketplace will be torn down. I am not sure how or how much the marketplace will be changed, but most folks hate to see this happening with this iconic piece of Waikiki history.

This is very sad to hear. It was a lively spot at night and provided lots of color and fun, love the large banyan tree in the middle. I know I will never walk through the doors of a Saks Fifth Avenue in Hawaii but there are many foreign tourists returning from the high end stores unable to carry all of the bags with their purchases. I hope it doesn't change this end of Waikiki too much. Cherie

YMMV on this one, we enjoy it for the variety of stuff, from trinkets, shows, food. It is very far from HHV like the other side of the beach line.

When we've stayed ath HHV we don't get that far out, but when I'm staying closer in to the market place we go there at least once if not twice, kids always love that shopping area and its hopping.

HHV is at one end of the beach, a hike to most shopping and, stores, resturants etc. but really does have everything too, just less choices. IMHO if the first time there, you might consider somethign more central.

Thanks for your responses, one more question is the Internatinal Market Place nearby, and is it worth going to?

I never considered it a "hike" from HHV to anywhere in the Waikiki beach area. It's just a nice walk, either along the beach (combo of walkway and beach) or along the main drag. I did it every night. This last trip, I either ate at Marukame or had the happy hour bar time at Dukes. The walk back was always a welcome way to work off the fish tacos and Longboard Ales ;)

Waikiki is definitely catering more to the twenty-something set of Asian kids from what I've seen over the years. Lots of groups of them, I always see several newlywed couples from Japan/China getting wedding shots on the beach or over at Ala Moana Park. Plenty of uber-high-end shopping to be done and, from the look of the shopping bags, they do it well.

They must be doing a massive facelift of the remaining IMP if SFA is going in!!! It definitely would be out of place otherwise!!! I would not be surprised if the IMP as it is today is gone and the landlords go for higher-end renters for the whole place. The time of the keychains with the tiki on the end will be gone...

Archived