Cruise Ship Pool Temperatures

In the past couple of years I have been on two cruise ships, the Liberty of the Seas in Europe and a 3 day cruise on Carnival Spirit from Sydney to Melbourne. Normally I love a swim on a hot day but on both ships I found the water ice cold and too cold for my likings to swim in, or at least stay in for a long time.

Does anyone know why the pools are so cold? Do any ships have heated pools?

I am going on the Celebrity Solstice in December and Im hoping at least the indoor pool is heated? Anyone Know? At least the spas are heated but one of the bigger pools being at least a comfortable temperature would be nice.

Does anyone know why the pools are so cold? Do any ships have heated pools?

Some do, such as the Millennium class ships.

I am going on the Celebrity Solstice in December and Im hoping at least the indoor pool is heated? Anyone Know?

Unfortunately the indoor pool on Solstice class ships is not heated.

On some ships the pools are regularly emptied and refilled with sea water, so the water temp in the pools will be much like the surrounding ocean, although if it is hot & sunny the shallow pool water will be warmed over time.

On our cruises (Rhapsody OTS & Radiance OTS) out of Sydney, we have experienced brass monkey water temps and also water so warm if felt like swimming in a bath.

On some ships the pools are regularly emptied and refilled with sea water, so the water temp in the pools will be much like the surrounding ocean.

That's a good point. The pools are emptied when conditions are rough, as it improves stability, and also gets noisy and messy with water from them splashing everywhere.

I suppose it is subjective but I found the solstices' pool temperature to be fine with the solarium pool around 5 degrees warmer than the outside pool. This may have been the warm weather and shallow levels warming the water but i do recall them cleaning the pool one day when it was empty.:D

hmmm not looking promising. The thing is you may get away with it if your going to a warmer clime but we are going to New Zealand and although it is getting into the Summer months New Zealand is still quite a cool country so I would imagine swimming would be out of the question unless your a hearty soul.

One would think a luxury cruise would include at least one heated pool. The spas are great but if there are a lot of kids on board they can tend to overpopulate them!

hmmm not looking promising. The thing is you may get away with it if your going to a warmer clime but we are going to New Zealand and although it is getting into the Summer months New Zealand is still quite a cool country so I would imagine swimming would be out of the question unless your a hearty soul.

One would think a luxury cruise would include at least one heated pool. The spas are great but if there are a lot of kids on board they can tend to overpopulate them!

In some of the hot tubs, the kids must be acompanied by an adult. I know you can't really swim in one but you can have a soak.:D

Hi,

We have sailed on Royal's Radiance of the Seas & also Voyager of the Seas & have found the pools in the adults solarium area to be a nice warm temperature on both occasions.:)

When DW & I were on Voyager of the Seas in February one of the outdoor pools was warm and the other one was cold.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When DW & I were on Voyager of the Seas in February one of the outdoor pools was warm and the other one was cold.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Very sensible as they can then please most people's tastes to water temps.:D

I didn't realise there was a large demand for cold pools if choice was available!

I suppose it is subjective, some people prefer the cold water so that they can swim and feel invigorated rather than a bath. Now 20 degrees may be far too cold for some but nice for swimming in rather than 28 degrees.:D

I suppose it is subjective, some people prefer the cold water so that they can swim and feel invigorated rather than a bath. Now 20 degrees may be far too cold for some but nice for swimming in rather than 28 degrees.:D

I think the main evidence is how much the pool is actually used. When I went on the Carnival Spirit from Sydney to Melbourne the weather was very warm and sunny yet hardly anyone used the pools but the spas were packed out.

I think a reasonable temperature would make the pool enjoyable. I think maybe the bondi icebergs may like freezing water to swim in but I for one do not.

I think the main reason the pools are not heated is costs to them which is a shame. If you go on a holiday and pay good money you expect to have a swim in something thats not an ice bath.

I think the main evidence is how much the pool is actually used. When I went on the Carnival Spirit from Sydney to Melbourne the weather was very warm and sunny yet hardly anyone used the pools but the spas were packed out.

I think a reasonable temperature would make the pool enjoyable. I think maybe the bondi icebergs may like freezing water to swim in but I for one do not.

I think the main reason the pools are not heated is costs to them which is a shame. If you go on a holiday and pay good money you expect to have a swim in something thats not an ice bath.

Very true, I personally prefer the temps closer to 22 degrees unless the day is 30 + and then even 18 degrees is fine.:D

Who was it that said " you can please all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time' some of the people some of the time but you can NEVER please all of the people all of the time ":D:D

Who was it that said " you can please all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time' some of the people some of the time but you can NEVER please all of the people all of the time ":D:D

I don't know but it sounds like you just said it, and it is true.:D.

In some of the hot tubs, the kids must be accompanied by an adult. I know you can't really swim in one but you can have a soak.:D

How healthy is that soak though?

Carnival are being sued in the States , re Hot tubs with bacteria in them.

Not surprising with the large number of people that use them each day.:eek:

I agree. I always smile when I see people posting about the hazards of the buffet but have no problems sitting in a small pool of hot water with at times, perfect strangers.

Elaine.

A politician? :p

I agree. I always smile when I see people posting about the hazards of the buffet but have no problems sitting in a small pool of hot water with at times, perfect strangers.

Elaine.

That is why I prefer the larger, cooler pools.:D

Elaine.

Well one would think if you didn't put your head under and gulp the stuff you would be fine? I know I have heard many people say they never put their head under in a spa. I think the risk of catching disease via the skin or injesting a stray bit of spa mist would be minimal?

In any case our celebrity suite has a bath, bubble bath anyone?

Well one would think if you didn't put your head under and gulp the stuff you would be fine? I know I have heard many people say they never put their head under in a spa. I think the risk of catching disease via the skin or injesting a stray bit of spa mist would be minimal?

In any case our celebrity suite has a bath, bubble bath anyone?

You can become infected just by inhaling the drops of water in the the steam and there are infections that can be transferred through the skin. The problem with spas is that people like the water very warm and chlorine is less effective in hot water.

I'm not telling people not to go in public whirlpools and spas. Life is full of risks.

Elaine.

Archived