Which cruise: Oasis of Seas or Noordam? Help!

limace

My mom and I, both first time cruisers, are planning a quilting cruise for 2014 and have narrowed it down to cruises on these two ships. We are experienced travelers, foodies, healthy and have no mobility issues. We are more interested in exploring new places in port and wandering around than in big tourist sort of hang outs. My dad is paying-balcony cabin on each (yay dad! He gave the cruise to my mom with the condition that he didn't have to go LOL) so cost isn't the deciding factor. OK, here are our two choices-I'd love to hear from folks with experience on either or ideally both ships.

1. Jan 27 HAL Noordam 11 day Southern Caribbean. Pros as I see them: longer cruise and more interesting itinerary. Smaller ship, perhaps less of a madhouse in port. Better MDR food? Bathtub in the cabin (mom isn't a shower person). Bring unlimited wine on!!!! Weather is crummy in Oregon in January so a good time to skip town. Cons: Older ship, maybe a little boring? Entertainment doesn't have good reviews.

2. May 3 RC Oasis of the Seas 7 night Eastern Caribbean. Pros: Brand new ship, lots of choice of other dining options. Being a little shorter could be a pro, as crazy as that sounds, as this will be the longest I've been away from my kids and we don't know yet if we'll like cruising. Cons: Biiiiig ship dumping a bunch of folks into port at once. Almost has a Vegas feel when I look at the pics, and though I love Vegas, a week in Vegas is way too long. Possible to really relax on board? How does the food compare?

Thoughts? What would you do? What should I be thinking about? Thanks!

Well, I think first of all your Dad is AWESOME! :) Secondly, you have both good choices .... it's really up to what you and your Mom like better. But, I can give a few bits of information from my experience. Although I've never actually been on the Noordam, I have been on HAL's Eurodam and loved it! Yes, it is a smaller ship, but we didn't find it boring at all! And, we are used to larger ships, but this was beautiful! If you like clubs and entertainment, there is that .... if you like relaxing, there is also that. We didn't find 'all older people' on there either as some seem to think of HAL ... there was a good mix of all ages. We had a Superior Suite (sort of like other line's JS) which couldn't have been nicer (we did a last minute gty suite and that's what they gave us) .... the service was WONDERFUL all throughout the ship and we found the food exquisite! We also did eat at the Pinnacle one night and it too was lovely ... excellent food, great service and worth the surcharge for us. But, other than that we ate in the MDR for dinner (and one breakfast since we had an early start on where we were going that day) and the Buffet for breakfast/lunch, snacks, etc. We literally loved everything about it. What might 'sway' me with the Noordam is the itinerary .... for us, you just can't beat that Southern route and all those extra Ports! And, as you said it is longer, but I don't think that would lead to being bored since you'll be seeing all those great places! So, that's it for HAL ....

Now the Oasis is AMAZING!!! And, yes it is a BIG ship but trust me, you just will not believe how you just 'don't feel like there are that many people onboard! Couldn't believe how easily we got on and off ... I don't know how they do it, but it sure works ... at least it did for us! Again, we got a JS (did a last minute gty and landed on the hump and it was lovely!) .... the service was wonderful all throughout the ship as well. The food was great ... we ate in MDR for dinner, but went to Chops one night and it was FABULOUS!! It's on the Central Park deck and we ate outside with all the twinkling lights and it was wonderful! The service was good and the food was spectacular ... again, worth the surcharge for us. We ate at the buffet mostly for breakfast and lunch, snacks, etc. (did dining room once for breakfast again as we had to be off the ship early). We also ate at Johnny Rockets (a tradition for us) and the Roast Beef Sandwich in Central Park .... that is to die for if you ask me! :) The shows were great! LOVED Hairspray!! The Water Show was awesome ... the Ice Show we'd seen before, but really good .... and all the rest as well. There is so much to do on that ship .... even just to walk around and explore! You won't have time to do it all in a week, that's what we were told and it's true! We did the Western Itinerary but my preference would be the Eastern. But, like I said, it was a last minute gty at a VERY good price we couldn't pass up! I can't wait to go on her again or her sister ship, the Allure!

So, all that being said, I don't think you can make a wrong choice .... I love RCCI and HAL .... both were great experiences for us! Happy Sailing and let us know which one you choose and how it goes! :)

NOORDAM is a beautiful ship and a great size, IMO

We are not tempted by the behemouth though understand the attraction for others.

Noordam is the fourth (and last) in the series of Vista ships for HAL and they got it really right with her. Whatever mistakes they may have made on the first three sisters, they corrected so Noordam is wonderful. :)

Pick Noordam..... :D

Have a great cruise whichever ship.

Oh, and I forgot to add .... yes, you can most definitely 'relax' on the Oasis .... even on Sea Days .... we sat in a lounge overlooking the mini golf, the zip Liner, etc. and I think there 'may' have been another couple in there .... it was on our last day, sea day and it was raining off and on and really was quite relaxing! Plus, you said you'd have a balcony ... to me there is nothing more relaxing than sitting out there watching the waves go by! :D But, seriously, I did find it amazing that there were so many quiet places on the ship where you really we almost by yourself sometimes! Must be that there are so many venues, people are spread out. Anyway ... just wanted to add that. I like Vegas too, but agree, after a couple of days it's time to go! Not so on the Oasis, at least that's what I found!:rolleyes:

OK, here we go with my 2 cents worth. Although we are primarily Royal Caribbean Cruisers, I think your best choice may be the Noordam. I'm basing this on the Southern Caribbean itinerary and length. Like the above cruiser we have sailed Oasis but not Noordam, or NCL for that matter.

No matter, the choice is yours and which ever ship it is I think you are going to have a great time. ENJOY

I'd choose the "Noordam". We've been on it a couple of times as well as several other HAL ships. We've only been on Explorer of the Seas (twice) of the RCI fleet. Over all "fit and finish" on the ship, I think, is WAY nicer on HAL. We really like the dome over the main pool on all HAL ships in the event of bad weather, and HAL (IMO) has THE most comfortable bedding of any cruise line we've been on. I think the dining experience on HAL was a bit nicer, too.

We haven't sailed the Oasis but we did sail on the Noordam in January, 2012. Loved the ship and service. We thought the food was excellent. The crew was very professional and helpful in every way. Although the Noordam is a smaller ship as compared to the Oasis class ships, you really can't tell the difference. We liked the ship so much that we've booked her again for this January. If the age group is a factor, most of the clientele was from the 50's to the 80's age group with some a few years younger and some a few years older.

Sailing the Oasis or the Allure, to us, would be a destination in itself as it is so big. We have booked the Quantum of the Seas for January, 2015 so it will be interesting to see how grand she will be.

Hope this info. helps.

NOORDAM is a beautiful ship and a great size, IMO

We are not tempted by the behemouth though understand the attraction for others.

Noordam is the fourth (and last) in the series of Vista ships for HAL and they got it really right with her. Whatever mistakes they may have made on the first three sisters, they corrected so Noordam is wonderful. :)

Pick Noordam..... :D

Have a great cruise whichever ship.

Having only sailed the Eurodam with HAL, I'm wondering if she is in the same class as the Noordam? It was a few years ago and I forget which ships are in which classes. And, if so, what mistakes did they correct? I only ask since we found everything so perfect on the Eurodam, although I realize everyone has their particular preferences, still I was just wondering. Up to that time we had only sailed on larger ships, but really found the mid size ship very nice. Just also would like to add that although I love Royal, the whole HAL experience I would have to say was a 'notch' above somehow ... just the 'feel' you get on the ship.:)

Wow...I'm not sure you could have picked any other 2 unlike ships. Makes me wonder how you narrowed it down to those 2. :D

Anyhow, between those 2, based on what you said you are looking for, I think Noordam is probably the better choice for you.

But like MMOMOM said, Oasis is absolutely the most amazing cruise ship on which I have ever sailed (except her sister, Allure ;)). The entertainment is unmatched, especially by HAL, and the activities are endless. And yes, there are many venues to relax, including the beautiful Central Park. One more thing...despite the passenger number, Oasis is the most uncrowded ship I have ever been on. This is mostly due to design.

I've sailed Noordam three times- a well laid-out ship, with the superior food and service vigor which HAL is rightly known. I have not sailed Oasis, nor am I likely to because I am not interested in carousels, skating rinks, shopping malls, or whatever on ships. She may be well laid out, a d appear uncrowned, but Noordam never seems crowded either. I am aware that Oasis probably has livelier entertainment, but I was not impressed with RC's food or service.

Finally, Noordam's itinerary is superior - especially as it an escape from winter weather, while Oasis will only get you away from spring weather.

No brainer !

Having only sailed the Eurodam with HAL, I'm wondering if she is in the same class as the Noordam? It was a few years ago and I forget which ships are in which classes. And, if so, what mistakes did they correct? I only ask since we found everything so perfect on the Eurodam, although I realize everyone has their particular preferences, still I was just wondering. Up to that time we had only sailed on larger ships, but really found the mid size ship very nice. Just also would like to add that although I love Royal, the whole HAL experience I would have to say was a 'notch' above somehow ... just the 'feel' you get on the ship.:)

Noordam and Eurodam are two different classes of ships. Eurodam is larger and the main differences with Eurodam is the addition of Tamarind, a Pan-Asian Restaurant and Silk Den, a lovely lounge.

HAL Classes of Ships:

"S" Class:

Statendam

Maasdam

Ryndam

Veendam

"R" Class:

Rotterdam

Amsterdam

Zaandam

Volendam

Vista Class:

Zuiderdam

Oosterdam

Westerdam

Noordam

Signature Class:

Eurodam

Nieuw Amsterdam

Prinsendam - One of. This ship was not built by HAL and has no HAL sisters.

Pinnacle Class:

New build - no name has yet been announced for this ship.

She is predicted to be the first of either two or three in this class.

What is a quilting cruise? Are there planned demos/workshops? Do they provide machines? You did say a quilting cruise, right? I think I'd look at the program and itinerary first to help me decide. Both are good ships, different yes.

Hello Limace,

My vote is for the ms Noordam. Since you and your mom are first time cruisers I think you will really adore the elegance and tradition of this beautiful ship. She was built in 2007 not that old.

Holland America features the friendliest crews at sea, terrific food in the Main Dining Room, elegant public rooms and lounges. The 11-day itinerary is great we took this cruise when she sailed out of New York years ago. I think a smaller ship is wise decision to get your feet wet.

The RCCL ships are leviathans, massive with millions of choices and things to do, but, the Allure and Oasis are almost like amusement parks. Many people like them and perhaps you will too. The Noordam is more a celebration of the simple pleasures of traveling aboard a classic ocean liner and all of the formality and thrills that go with that.

We love the Noordam and I really thing your and your mom will as well.

Jonathan

Hello Limace,

My vote is for the ms Noordam. Since you and your mom are first time cruisers I think you will really adore the elegance and tradition of this beautiful ship. She was built in 2007 not that old.

<snip>

Jonathan

Just for the sake of accuracy, Noordam was Christened February 22, 2006. We were there. :)

I also choose the Noordam. I've been on Oasis of the Seas and I've been on Volendam and Zaandam but not on the Noordam. I loved the Oasis but I have to agree that it is more of an amusement park feel and I love amusement parks. Many of the activities are geared to children and I would save Oasis for a trip when you could bring your children. Many times while on Oasis I thought how much the grandchildren would love it.

We enjoy the food on both HAL and Oasis. I personally give the food points to Oasis. I really enjoy RCCLs new menu. On Oasis you have a lot more choices including a healthier option in the adult only solarium.

I have never had bad service on any ship and that includes cruises on HAL, Celebrity, RCCL, Princess, Cunard and Carnival. So that does not sway my choice.

What I think you will like is the much better ports of call on the Noordam. I just looked at the itinerary and there are some really good ports.

I would always choose the longer cruise. 7 days is barely enough to relax, especially on Oasis.

While the shows on Oasis are phenomenal, we've also seen some great headliners on HAL. And on HAL you don't have to worry about reserving shows. We just go to everything.

I am not sure what a quilting cruise is, but if you are looking for some quiet time together to quilt, then I would by all means choose HAL. The HAL ships have a quieter and more elegant atmosphere that is geared to relaxing and the older cruiser. You will be able to find more quiet lounges to sit with mom and relax and quilt.

Wow...I'm not sure you could have picked any other 2 unlike ships. Makes me wonder how you narrowed it down to those 2. :D

Anyhow, between those 2, based on what you said you are looking for, I think Noordam is probably the better choice for you.

But like MMOMOM said, Oasis is absolutely the most amazing cruise ship on which I have ever sailed (except her sister, Allure ;)). The entertainment is unmatched, especially by HAL, and the activities are endless. And yes, there are many venues to relax, including the beautiful Central Park. One more thing...despite the passenger number, Oasis is the most uncrowded ship I have ever been on. This is mostly due to design.

We picked these two because they each have a quilting cruise group on board, and, out of a bunch of quilting cruises, these had the best combo of time of year/ship and itinerary/classes and projects.

What is a quilting cruise? Are there planned demos/workshops? Do they provide machines? You did say a quilting cruise, right? I think I'd look at the program and itinerary first to help me decide. Both are good ships, different yes.

I'd link but I think it's against board rules, but if you google quilting cruises you'll find them pretty quickly. They have classes during your at-sea days, and provide machines, and some group meet and greet sort of activities. There are quite a few out there but many still don't have their projects picked out, which was super annoying-we want to take classes we're interested in-or go places we aren't as interested in (Alaska-I love Alaska but have been there multiple times and want my first cruise to be to someplace new-and Hawaii, ditto).

The Noordam cruise has multiple classes to choose from each day and the TA has been very responsive...they seem to be well-regarded. The Oasis cruise is led by Carol Doak, who is a famous and highly-regarded instructor, so that bumped it up in our list.

My mom is late 60s, serious quilter, I'm early 40s and used to quilt a bunch and would love the chance to get back into. But really, it's the cruise and chance to travel with my mom that's most exciting for me!

I have been on both ships and Oasis is a destination in it's self. But for the kind of trip you want, I think Noordam would be the better choice. Itinerary on Noordam would be far more interesting. HAL provides a more traditional type of cruise, while RCI is more inovative and younger passenger oriented.

If the itinerary is the most important , the Noordam is a better choice.

If the ship and it's activities is the attraction , and the more run of the mill itinerary less , then it is the Oasis

(which may be the better choice for a first timer).

Have been on RCI (not the Oasis) and on the HAL Noordam. We did the same itinerary and it has become one of our favorites.

Food was very good. Entertainment fine with lots of different music to choose from. The Noordam is a lovely ship.

My mom and I, both first time cruisers, are planning a quilting cruise for 2014 and have narrowed it down to cruises on these two ships. We are experienced travelers, foodies, healthy and have no mobility issues. We are more interested in exploring new places in port and wandering around than in big tourist sort of hang outs.

Oasis and Allure are all about the ships. They have amazing entertainment options all day and night, great selection of restaurants, and are just plain fun. However, these ships are limited in ports they can travel to. I don't understand how you narrowed your choices down to these two ships when one of them shouldn't have been considered at all.

For what it's worth, I loved my cruise on the Allure. Those ships are absolute game changers and first class all the way. I have absolutely no interest in booking HAL until I hit 60 or start feeling old, whichever comes last. If I was a serious foodie and cruising, I might go for an S Class ship on Celebrity and get the package that includes the Blu dining. We enjoy Princess and Royal Caribbean and getting decent selections of upcharge dining and enjoy the entertainment on those two lines.

Good luck with your choice.

Oasis and Allure are all about the ships. They have amazing entertainment options all day and night, great selection of restaurants, and are just plain fun. However, these ships are limited in ports they can travel to. I don't understand how you narrowed your choices down to these two ships when one of them shouldn't have been considered at all.

For what it's worth, I loved my cruise on the Allure. Those ships are absolute game changers and first class all the way. I have absolutely no interest in booking HAL until I hit 60 or start feeling old, whichever comes last. If I was a serious foodie and cruising, I might go for an S Class ship on Celebrity and get the package that includes the Blu dining. We enjoy Princess and Royal Caribbean and getting decent selections of upcharge dining and enjoy the entertainment on those two lines.

Good luck with your choice.

As I mentioned earlier, the two ships are in the running because of the quilt cruise program they are offering, and the one on the Oasis is pretty fabulous.

Thanks everyone!

Archived