Children's Program

condor

In the end, most parents and grand parents and kids are really good.

Yes, there are a few bad ones.

If some child is really bothersome just speak with the Hotel Director and ask them if they can speak with the parents.

Keith

Keith, you must be the luckiest cruiser in the world when it comes to children on board. Or you sail mainly on large ships that have facilities for kids. Because as Jim and others like me can attest, the crew can do very little without upsetting the parents and getting a bad report. The usual response is something like: "As long as the parents don't cooperate we can't do very much, even though we would like to."

how can we support your propsoal if we don't know what it is? it might not work for me?

All I can say at this point is that it addresses education and monitoring of parents and children, with established metrics to monitor the program's effectiveness.

Look, I've taken an entrepreneurial attempt at solving this issue on the basis that unruly children and their doting parents can be educated such that they aren't an issue to all but the most intolerant cruisers. As Seabourn cruisers, isn't that what we want?

How can you not support that? Unless your in the "children be damned at all cost" crowd and I don't think you are..

MrsWaldo, I hope you meet you and yours someday.

Tim

How can you not support that? Unless your in the "children be damned at all cost" crowd and I don't think you are..

MrsWaldo, I hope you meet you and yours someday.

Tim

i hope to meet too.

I'm in the minimum age requirement, capped number camp. And some form of signed document that gives crew the right to take appropriate measures when things go pear shaped..

In the end, most parents and grand parents and kids are really good.

Yes, there are a few bad ones.

If some child is really bothersome just speak with the Hotel Director and ask them if they can speak with the parents.

Keith

And when the Hotel director tells the parent who complained about his kids he can come and punch you on the nose.:)

The problem is that the hotel director will not want to talk to the parent about his kids for fear of upsetting him and losing a client for future cruises.

And when the Hotel director tells the parent who complained about his kids he can come and punch you on the nose.:)

The problem is that the hotel director will not want to talk to the parent about his kids for fear of upsetting him and losing a client for future cruises.

That's precisely why my program's "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" architecture is the best way.

If the Hotel Director is any good he would handle it professionally.

I have spoken with Hotel Directors in the past about other items and they were handled professionally as they should be.

Keith

If the Hotel Director is any good he would handle it professionally.

I have spoken with Hotel Directors in the past about other items and they were handled professionally as they should be.

Keith

Would that be on a Seabourn ship Keith?

Other items maybe but difficult items like complaints about a parents kids,i am not so sure.

Would that be on a Seabourn ship Keith?

Other items maybe but difficult items like complaints about a parents kids,i am not so sure.

I've spoken to Hotel Directors on Seabourn and other lines. Not often with an item but when I did I approached it logically and thoughtfully on my end and I found they did the same thing on their end.

Keith

I've spoken to Hotel Directors on Seabourn and other lines. Not often with an item but when I did I approached it logically and thoughtfully on my end and I found they did the same thing on their end.

Keith

Those working on a cruise ship are reluctatnt to push things with guests as they do not get the backing from those in head office.

It is hard enough to get a Maitre'd to ask a guest to return to their suite to put on a jacket on a formal evening these days,let alone talk about child management with a parent.

I agree some small things can be done almost instantly and without confrontation.

Why do you suppose a hotel director is reluctant to speak to the parent of an unruly child for fear of offending a future client, yet has no fear of offending a future client who objects to that unruly child?

That Henry is the big question and I think that it involves confrontation.

Keith,

I have done that. Many times. To absolutely no avail. It might work for one afternoon with one parent of one kid but that kid soon gets caught up in the chaos the others engender and it's back to square one.

If you see a situation that is out of hand, just speak with the Hotel Director. Most of them know how to address it.

Keith

Most of them know how to fob off a disgruntled guest and then do nothing about the problem.

I have seen it on many ships.

In your ideal world Keith all is lovely and rosie in the garden.

I admire your optimism and outlook but in the big bad world sometimes it is different.;)

Most of them know how to fob off a disgruntled guest and then do nothing about the problem.

I have seen it on many ships.

In your ideal world Keith all is lovely and rosie in the garden.

I admire your optimism and outlook but in the big bad world sometimes it is different.;)

Overall, it's a good world and it's the best world around. :D

I also remind myself that we are part of a very small percentage of people on this planet who cruise on a luxury line and that everything in life does not go our way.

I really have had good success with speaking with hotel directors over the years. Can they solve everything? Of course not.

I still am back to the same thing. If one doesn't want to sail with kids who might be a challenge pick other sailings. And yes, some kids are just kids. And some adults are just kids too.

I am very much a realist. It is because I am a realist I do put things in perspective. Life is pretty good for many who can take a luxury cruise.

Keith

If one doesn't want to sail with kids who might be a challenge pick other sailings.

Keith, I think this is what's galling many here. By this advise, cruisers who are children sensitive have to give up cruises in times of the year that are the best for many cruises.

This shouldn't be the case and I think I can also speak for SB when I say that this is not good for business.

This negative impact should be actively, not reactively mitigated.

Keith, I think this is what's galling many here. By this advise, cruisers who are children sensitive have to give up cruises in times of the year that are the best for many cruises.

This shouldn't be the case and I think I can also speak for SB when I say that this is not good for business.

Yes, and that is why we should keep letting Seabourn and other small luxury lines know how we feel. Silence will only makes things worse.

I am not telling anyone not to complain.

I am just saying that you are going to see families on luxury lines and that includes all of them.

If someone doesn't like that rather than expecting the cruise line to change maybe they need to change.

It's a business. If families were a small uptake to the business and they could sell a lot more people without children to fill the ship they would do that.

I am vocal on this because I don't tell hotels, restaurants, cruise lines who they can sell too and who they can't. I just adjust my plans accordingly. If I don't like it I take my

business elsewhere or adjust my plans.

I know that some of you disagree with me but that is life on Cruise Critic. After all if we all thought the same way there would be one cruise line, one type of dining on land, just a few books and movies, etc and this would be a boring world.

There are things I don't like in life. But rather than expecting others to change for me I alter my approach and plans.

I constantly read on all the boards what people don't like but in the end the cruise line is running a business and they can't make all f the people happy all of the time.

Keith

+1 Keith.

Passengers should continue to state their preferences. If the cruise line chooses to take a different route, it is up to the passenger to stay or change cruise lines. For example, I loved our experience on Regent. Each year we introduced new cruisers to the line. When Regent changed the approach to passengers who sailed in different categories, I was vocal on CC and with the cruise line executives. Regent chose to make the changes and try a different approach to increasing their passenger load. I had the choice whether to accept their change or not. Despite loving my Regent experiences, I have not sailed on them since.

If someone doesn't like [children on board]than rather than expecting the cruise line to change maybe they need to change. Keith

Keith, as you recall from my previous posts, I really don't consider myself "children sensitive," so I'm arguing here based on what I see the issue to be and the logic, or rationale, of the different positions. So, please follow me.

Your argument very much appears to disregard what SB professes publically as the formal "Mission." This is copied verbatim from the web site:

"Mission

Through genuine and intuitive service, we consistently deliver exceptional Seabourn Moments that delight our guests and create the world’s finest travel experiences."

So, passengers should exspect those "Seabourn Moments" to really happen, including a peaceful voyage.

zich6 I am really not arguing this.

I do believe in the end that if someone is unhappy they have three choices.

One is to get over it (and I mean this with all due respect) or to cruise on Seabourn on a voyage where there will be far less children on board.

Two, voice their concern to Seabourn and ask (not tell) if there is anything they can do to minimize the impact of children who get out of hand on the ship. In short, don't tell them how to do their jobs but ask what they can do to address this area of concern.

Three, take your business elsewhere.

That's just my two (well by now it's more than 2) cents.

In the end, like just about anything each person on this board will figure out what works best for them.

As to the mission, I have seen adults out of hand after a few too many drinks and I have seen as few as one adult create havoc with their smoking. When you travel with 400 or more people things will not always go the way you or i want them to. Again, each person has options and while when it comes to most issues we'd all love a business or others to do precisely what "we" want that really is not the case. And there are people who feel that they want to sail with Seabourn and they want their kids to sail with them. And they too might be bothered by the smoker and the adults who get out of hand. It works both ways. They too need to figure it out.

Keith

As to the mission, I have seen adults out of hand after a few too many drinks and I have seen as few as one adult create havoc with their smoking. Keith

Keith, as you should know, unless you can cite that this is as big a deal as the children issue, well you should provide data.

I searched the site and there's precious little regarding inebriated passengers, yet much more on the children issue. I don't want to hear about perceived abnormalities with my search.

T

Keith, as you should know, unless you can cite that this is as big a deal as the children issue, well you should provide data.

I searched the site and there's precious little regarding inebriated passengers, yet much more on the children issue. I don't want to hear about perceived abnormalities with my search.

T

Again this week over 41 kids onboard the Odyssey under the age of 21...way too many for such a small ship and nothing to do for the poor souls except stick them in the card room fish bowl room!

Archived