Children's Program

condor

commodoredave, I am not a defeatist. Actually I am just the opposite in terms of my approach to life. However, I came from the business world. I think it makes poor business sense to not have kids on board. I also think that those who want to bring children should. I know that does not make me popular with some on this topic but that is my feeling. Now, if I don't want to sail with children there are many options during the year for cruising. Personally, it is those with children who usually sail the summer months in places such as the Med and I think that is not a good time to sail the Med between the heat and the humidity and the crowds so for those who don't want to sail with kids you have lots of other attractive times of the year to sail.

I also want to point out that public rooms are sometimes used for others and that might include a group but now I've brought up another confidential subject.

Keith

Keith, you certainly sound like a defeatist in some of your posts. The point is that people who don't want to cruise with children have the right to voice their concerns, complain about false marketing from luxury lines, and vote with their wallets. This may not change a lot, but if might keep the situation from getting any worse if the possible loss of dollars from loyal frequent cruisers is greater than the additional dollars from children cruising. If enough of us do this, it may get noticed and result in some better policies.

You can refuse to believe this, and you can continue to tell people it won't work. But that is not going to stop us.

Unfortunately, Keith is right here. Seabourn will do what it must to fill its cabins. If that means more kids aboard that is the reality. It is for that very same reason that they still allow smoking in the Observation Lounge and that they have relaxed their dress code....to attract more and younger cruisers.

Unfortunately, Keith is right here. Seabourn will do what it must to fill its cabins. If that means more kids aboard that is the reality. It is for that very same reason that they still allow smoking in the Observation Lounge and that they have relaxed their dress code....to attract more and younger cruisers.

And this will only lead to children that smoke and dress badly.:)

commodoredave, I really am not a defeatist. I am one of those who always looks for solutions to problems. At the same time I bring my business perspective to all of this. They really are not making false marketing claims. But it is marketing and when you market you choose how you want to sell your product. I was not on the sales side and I know there were times that marketing would do what marketing does. But with all due respect they are not false in their marketing. They allow smoking but they don't have photos of people smoking cigarettes. The allow drinking but they don't show someone passed out on the floor.

When Seabourn went to the newer ships I knew that meant children. You would see very few on the triplets but as the ships grow in size and they also sail more of what families want you will see kids.

I really don't see the loyal customers going elsewhere. Sure they could go to Silversea but there are kids there too.

I am not telling anyone not to do anything. I am just being realistic about this. They are not going to change because a few people say they are not going to sail with them. You may disagree but this is my opinion.

Keith

commodoredave, I really am not a defeatist. I am one of those who always looks for solutions to problems. At the same time I bring my business perspective to all of this. They really are not making false marketing claims. But it is marketing and when you market you choose how you want to sell your product. I was not on the sales side and I know there were times that marketing would do what marketing does. But with all due respect they are not false in their marketing. They allow smoking but they don't have photos of people smoking cigarettes. The allow drinking but they don't show someone passed out on the floor.

When Seabourn went to the newer ships I knew that meant children. You would see very few on the triplets but as the ships grow in size and they also sail more of what families want you will see kids.

I really don't see the loyal customers going elsewhere. Sure they could go to Silversea but there are kids there too.

I am not telling anyone not to do anything. I am just being realistic about this. They are not going to change because a few people say they are not going to sail with them. You may disagree but this is my opinion.

Keith

Keith, the only thing I disagree with you on is that your posts discourage people from complaining. If no one complains, it will only get worse.

And this will only lead to children that smoke and dress badly.:)

Some much needed humour!!:D

On the smoking issue, I sincerely believe that Seabourn will change its policy within the next 3 years. It's a much different issue than kids from a health, liability and demographic perspective, and therefore the business benefit will decline over time.

Some much needed humour!!:D

On the smoking issue, I sincerely believe that Seabourn will change its policy within the next 3 years. It's a much different issue than kids from a health, liability and demographic perspective, and therefore the business benefit will decline over time.

I am sure that we will see some movement on the smoking issue.

Also don't forget that Keith sails mainly with Crystal where they have two much larger ships with a kids club and staff that are trained to look after the children and keep them busy throughout the day.Thus keeping them away in the kids zone where they are better entertained.

Keith,

I agree that larger ships mean more kids. That is why I so dread the newbuild SB is considering with 550 passengers and one more deck. I fear that there will be a dedicated childrens' room on that extra deck.

Keith,

I agree that larger ships mean more kids. That is why I so dread the newbuild SB is considering with 550 passengers and one more deck. I fear that there will be a dedicated childrens' room on that extra deck.

Henry,the other side of the coin is that families might pick the newer larger Seabourn ship because it would suit a family better.

We can only hope and pray.

I am one of those grandparents who would happily take my grandchildren on a Seabourn cruise. However, Seabourn is not yet a good fit for our youngest granddaughter and she requires a different type of cruise ship. Therefore, next year, we have chosen to sail on Celebrity with our family. All of us have previously sailed on Celebrity ships and we know that they are a good fit for the group.

Previously, we have sailed on Regent to Alaska with our four generation family. The cruise was a perfect fit for all of us with the exception of our daughter and son-in-law who were hoping for more nighttime entertainment. We had looked at booking a Crystal cruise instead of the Celebrity cruise, but were concerned, depending upon the age demographics of the passengers onboard, that the cruise would not be the best fit for our daughter and son-in-law. We know that it would be a wonderful fit for the rest of us.

Although I read all of the positive or negative remarks posted on CC regarding children onboard a ship, I know my family and feel confident in my choice of cruise lines and/or cruise ships. One day, if we continue to be lucky enough to sail and Seabourn becomes a good fit, you will see us onboard with our grandchildren. I can assure you that they will be well supervised and that no childrens' program will be necessary for them to have a fabulous time.

I will ensure that I post on CC when we will be onboard so that anyone who does not want to sail with us has the chance to cancel their booking.

IMHO there is an answer to this issue and it is the mitigation of ill-behaved children on those it bothers. The devil is in the details regarding how to best achieve that solution.

This isn't defeatism either. It's pragmatic and the most likely thing to happen. But that's just my opinion and not meant to stifle anyone who doesn't agree.

I encourage all to make your preferences known where they will do the most good.

I am one of those grandparents who would happily take my grandchildren on a Seabourn cruise. However, Seabourn is not yet a good fit for our youngest granddaughter and she requires a different type of cruise ship. Therefore, next year, we have chosen to sail on Celebrity with our family. All of us have previously sailed on Celebrity ships and we know that they are a good fit for the group.

Previously, we have sailed on Regent to Alaska with our four generation family. The cruise was a perfect fit for all of us with the exception of our daughter and son-in-law who were hoping for more nighttime entertainment. We had looked at booking a Crystal cruise instead of the Celebrity cruise, but were concerned, depending upon the age demographics of the passengers onboard, that the cruise would not be the best fit for our daughter and son-in-law. We know that it would be a wonderful fit for the rest of us.

Although I read all of the positive or negative remarks posted on CC regarding children onboard a ship, I know my family and feel confident in my choice of cruise lines and/or cruise ships. One day, if we continue to be lucky enough to sail and Seabourn becomes a good fit, you will see us onboard with our grandchildren. I can assure you that they will be well supervised and that no childrens' program will be necessary for them to have a fabulous time.

I will ensure that I post on CC when we will be onboard so that anyone who does not want to sail with us has the chance to cancel their booking.

Parents/grandparents like you are not the issue. It's those poor parents/grandparents on a 1st SB cruise that didn't know what they were getting into, or the same that did and don't care about the impact their ill-behaved children/grandchildren have on other passengers.

I am one of those grandparents who would happily take my grandchildren on a Seabourn cruise. One day, if we continue to be lucky enough to sail and Seabourn becomes a good fit, you will see us onboard with our grandchildren. I can assure you that they will be well supervised and that no childrens' program will be necessary for them to have a fabulous time.

You sound like good grandparents. Would it be too much trouble for you to supervise the other children who are not well behaved when you sail on SB?;)

Previously I alluded to something I was working on. This afternoon I formally submitted an Unsolicited Proposal to Seabourn to address this issue based on what some have said the likelihood of Seabourn continuing to allow children on ships. While I won't go into details, the proposal is designed to achieve a win-win by properly managing children so that the impact of them on children sensitive passengers is mitigated to a mutually acceptable level.

If you believe the SB children policy will continue and are interested in shaping SB policy regarding children, I recommend you contact them to support my pilot program.

For the abolitionists, sorry, I have nothing for you.

Previously I alluded to something I was working on. This afternoon I formally submitted an Unsolicited Proposal to Seabourn to address this issue based on what some have said the likelihood of Seabourn continuing to allow children on ships. While I won't go into details, the proposal is designed to achieve a win-win by properly managing children so that the impact of them on children sensitive passengers is mitigated to a mutually acceptable level.

If you believe the SB children policy will continue and are interested in shaping SB policy regarding children, I recommend you contact them to support my pilot program.

how can we support your propsoal if we don't know what it is? it might not work for me?

I am sailing soon on SB and will write in support of any program that ensures children on board can be well behaved and appreciated by all.

commodoredave, I have spent many years working with children. I'd be happy to supervise most children on a cruise. Now, supervising the parents/grandparents of those children is a whole other ball game. :D

You are so right. It's the parents/grandparents who are to blame, not the children.

Archived