Children's Program

condor

Again this week over 41 kids onboard the Odyssey under the age of 21...way too many for such a small ship and nothing to do for the poor souls except stick them in the card room fish bowl room!

Time to jump ship. Although little tykes hate cigar smoke - that's one sure way to keep them at bay (and not at ocean).

Again this week over 41 kids onboard the Odyssey under the age of 21...way too many for such a small ship and nothing to do for the poor souls except stick them in the card room fish bowl room!

I thought they would have been back as school by now!! And your on Istanbul - Athens, hope there is not 41 on it next month. (and I love grandkids, but would not take them on a small ship such as this).

I thought they would have been back as school by now!! \

Not till September :(

I've been thinking about thus and the avoid solution doesn;t work.

Our first med cruise had 20 kids in 140 pax and it was May.

Why so many kids? One group of 8 and then quite a few that were homeschooled!

Keith, as you should know, unless you can cite that this is as big a deal as the children issue, well you should provide data.

I searched the site and there's precious little regarding inebriated passengers, yet much more on the children issue. I don't want to hear about perceived abnormalities with my search.

T

The two items that I provided were our own experience. Trust me, they were not perceived.

Well, SB passed on my proposal for now. That either means they're planning to do something themselves, or they don't think the children issue has risen to a level that requires their attention.

The two items that I provided were our own experience. Trust me, they were not perceived.

Guess I don't cruise enough because I have seen a drunk passenger cause a disturbance only once and that was on Carnival. On the other hand, I can recall about a dozen instances where children have caused disturbances.

If I were part of a foursome wanting to play cards, I would 'commandeer' a table in the MDR. It really wouldn't be inconvenient for the staff and it would be nice and quiet. The Verandah would work too, although the tables are longer.

Better yet find a place to put a card table that is the most inconvenient possible spot for the staff and when questioned, reply that you just wanted to make things as unpleasant for them as Seabourn has for you by commandeering the card room for all those kids.

The idea of a formal children's program raises an interesting chicken or the egg question to my mind. Is the program a reaction to the increased presence of the younger set on board the big sisters OR is it a marketing program to entice those with children?

The idea of a formal children's program raises an interesting chicken or the egg question to my mind. Is the program a reaction to the increased presence of the younger set on board the big sisters OR is it a marketing program to entice those with children?

I think that staff are just trying to make things work for the few familys aboard at a very small and limited time of the year.Things will return to normal after the first week of September.

Both. I don't think they have to be mutually exclusive.

Well either way I am less than thrilled. I am also grateful that I was not on the cruise wit 41 children. We were obviously quite lucky on our HolidayQuest cruise last year when there was only one youngster.

Better yet find a place to put a card table that is the most inconvenient possible spot for the staff and when questioned, reply that you just wanted to make things as unpleasant for them as Seabourn has for you by commandeering the card room for all those kids.

This one time, at, well SeaDream, when we were traveling with our elderly parents who love to play cards, the Owner, his entourage, and all their kids were on board. This was late October in the Med so forget school schedules. The Main Lounge was commandeered for all day kid movies (very loud) which made the adjacent card room untenable. We went to the Main Dining Room to play cards. The staff did not want us to do that for whatever reason so proceeded to set up a card table right in the middle of the Library. So much for quiet for those wanting to read or work on the computers. So, were the kids put out in any way? No but we sure were as were those trying to use the Library. On the subject of "oh yeah, well drunk adults can be disruptive too".:eek: The adults paid adult fares (except for the owner's buddies) and were provided with unlimited alcohol. What is the kiddies excuse? The staff seems to have no problem confronting a drunk adult and even as far as putting them ashore but they just won't control the kids.

It has been suggested that by avoiding summers and holidays (we do, but wish we did not have to do that), we will avoid children.

Therefore, I would like to ask the relatively new grandfather who has posted so frequently on this topic (and despite his statement to the contrary, regularly continues to post numerous comments to forums, even while he is cruising) in support of children on cruise lines whether or not his toddler grandson will be cruising next January? Isn't that a time that we adults can have a child free cruise?

Oh, and I love children, but I do not love cruising with them as they tend to congregate around the pool area and hog the hot tubs. And I do not like to pay a higher fare because their "free" cruise is factored into the fare I am paying.

gillianrose, we do much of our cruising between early January and late April. We see very few children on board and sometimes none. I wouldn't take our grand child on Seabourn. And we never took our own children when they were young and could not sit still nor would we take our grandchild to a high end restaurant.

But as I said from the start each parent/ needs to figure out what works best. There are many things in life I don't do but some choose to do and things that I do that others don't do. That's life.

When we have sailed with children we really have not had the problem children that people have mentioned. Maybe we are just lucky or we are more tolerant or both.

As to the pools, even if there are not kids on board there are certain type of the year that the pools will be far less crowded than other times of the year.

I know people are frustrated about this item but since I don't see it changing (the same items are discussed on each luxury line board so this is really not unique to Seabourn) I still come back to people deciding what they want to do and that is either to continue sailing when they do, sailing in months and on itineraries where you won't see many children, or finding another cruise line. If you do see a child that is out of hand then I still think speaking with a Hotel Director is the right move. Maybe I am more persuasive but over the years when I have picked up on an issue and spoken with hotel directors I have had good success.

Keith

This is a quote in an Australian Travel Mag

>The line is increasing the amount of time it spends in Australia as its popularity grows (thanks largely to the strength of the dollar, with fares priced in USD). But for families, Seabourn is not the best choice. With no official kids’ areas onboard, there is little for children to do.<

Full article..

http://www.australiantraveller.com/cruising/the-six-star-luxury-cruise-country-club-casual-meets-sophisticated-yacht/

(and yes it's got a link on Seabourn's Faceache)

gillianrose, we do much of our cruising between early January and late April. We see very few children on board and sometimes none. I wouldn't take our grand child on Seabourn. And we never took our own children when they were young and could not sit still nor would we take our grandchild to a high end restaurant.

But as I said from the start each parent/ needs to figure out what works best. There are many things in life I don't do but some choose to do and things that I do that others don't do. That's life.

When we have sailed with children we really have not had the problem children that people have mentioned. Maybe we are just lucky or we are more tolerant or both.

As to the pools, even if there are not kids on board there are certain type of the year that the pools will be far less crowded than other times of the year.

I know people are frustrated about this item but since I don't see it changing (the same items are discussed on each luxury line board so this is really not unique to Seabourn) I still come back to people deciding what they want to do and that is either to continue sailing when they do, sailing in months and on itineraries where you won't see many children, or finding another cruise line. If you do see a child that is out of hand then I still think speaking with a Hotel Director is the right move. Maybe I am more persuasive but over the years when I have picked up on an issue and spoken with hotel directors I have had good success.

Keith

Your advice is practical but not always effective. Sailing off the school holiday break does not always work, although it has better odds. Speaking with the Hotel Director is definitely the way to go, but it works less than 50% of the time. Choosing another cruise line is a good option, but is there a reasonable option out there that bans children and offers the same style of cruising as the main luxury lines (if there was, most of us would be talking about it)? So as I see it, the best option is to complain and complain often to SB management if and when children reduce the enjoyment of your cruise. After all, adults pay full fare and have a reasonable expectation for Seabourn and others to deliver what they promise -- an enjoyable luxury cruise experience.

gillianrose, we do much of our cruising between early January and late April. We see very few children on board and sometimes none. I wouldn't take our grand child on Seabourn

When I mentioned January, it was not restricted to Seabourn, but was in reply to frequent mention that those of us who wish to cruise without children should do so at times other than school holidays and summer. Really, co-opting all the lovely school holidays and the entire summer? That's a bit much to me, but OK, so let's say we have booked outside the times mentioned, a 13 night Panama Canal cruise, #4301 on Crystal Serenity (we have), shouldn't we be able to expect that to be child free? It's a longer cruise (8 sea days to lounge around a quiet pool), it's not during the major school holidays and it's not during summer.

Are we "safe"?

Worse to me than children on a cruise ship are very young children and babies in high-end restaurants. At least on a ship, one can avoid them if they become bothersome by relocating to a different area of the ship. This obviously isn't possible in a restaurant. I have NEVER understood why some parents feel a need for this. Many times people are celebrating something special and a baby or toddler crying at the next table really ruins the atmosphere. I went to a very nice restaurant once with friends who brought their 9-month old baby - it was embarrassing for me BUT it wasn't an issue for them at all! Nor were they embarrassed when the waiter came and asked us if we would be more comfortable upstairs (that part of the restaurant was closed). I sure was!!

But, unfortunately, parents like this are going to continue to exist. Very selfish in my opinion :(.

Worse to me than children on a cruise ship are very young children and babies in high-end restaurants. At least on a ship, one can avoid them if they become bothersome by relocating to a different area of the ship. This obviously isn't possible in a restaurant. I have NEVER understood why some parents feel a need for this. Many times people are celebrating something special and a baby or toddler crying at the next table really ruins the atmosphere. I went to a very nice restaurant once with friends who brought their 9-month old baby - it was embarrassing for me BUT it wasn't an issue for them at all! Nor were they embarrassed when the waiter came and asked us if we would be more comfortable upstairs (that part of the restaurant was closed). I sure was!!

But, unfortunately, parents like this are going to continue to exist. Very selfish in my opinion :(.

So what about screaming children and babies in the restaurants on cruise ships? We've experienced this on Seabourn and Silversea ships - dinner ruined by raucous toddlers or screaming babies.

I really wish one of the luxury lines would be brave enough to become adults only, or even just have one ship in the line that welcomes kids, and keeps them off the other ships.

I know, just wishful thinking.

So what about screaming children and babies in the restaurants on cruise ships? We've experienced this on Seabourn and Silversea ships - dinner ruined by raucous toddlers or screaming babies.

I really wish one of the luxury lines would be brave enough to become adults only, or even just have one ship in the line that welcomes kids, and keeps them off the other ships.

I know, just wishful thinking.

I do agree with you :). If I were already seated at dinner, relocating "to another area of the ship" obviously wouldn't be an option. So yes, it would annoy the hell out of me. But, considering I'm on a one-week August cruise, I better smile and try to ignore it (and head for the bar following dinner ASAP, ha, ha). Although, that said, I'm also quite sure I would at least communicate to someone that I was not happy with the situation. But, as these posts demonstrate, not much will probably be done in that regard, complaint or no complaint :(.

I do agree with you :). If I were already seated at dinner, relocating "to another area of the ship" obviously wouldn't be an option. So yes, it would annoy the hell out of me. But, considering I'm on a one-week August cruise, I better smile and try to ignore it (and head for the bar following dinner ASAP, ha, ha). Although, that said, I'm also quite sure I would at least communicate to someone that I was not happy with the situation. But, as these posts demonstrate, not much will probably be done in that regard, complaint or no complaint :(.

Hopefully the parents of any children you encounter on your cruise will be the enlightened types !

I actually hate griping about kids because it really isn't their fault - it's the parents.

You probably will have some kids on your cruise, hopefully they will be well behaved.

We got off the Sojourn last month. Only 8 kids on the whole ship but they managed to cause plenty of disruption, certainly whenever we were looking for some peace and quiet. :rolleyes:

Hopefully the parents of any children you encounter on your cruise will be the enlightened types !

I actually hate griping about kids because it really isn't their fault - it's the parents.

You probably will have some kids on your cruise, hopefully they will be well behaved.

We got off the Sojourn last month. Only 8 kids on the whole ship but they managed to cause plenty of disruption, certainly whenever we were looking for some peace and quiet. :rolleyes:

Thanks! I'm hoping for enlightened parents as well but, unfortunately, I doubt all will be. I made the choice to book the cruise though, knowing that it would entail more families so I can only complain so much! And I also dislike griping about children because you are so correct when you state that it's not their fault - they're simply being kids! I don't have children but if I did, I would never consider a Seabourn cruise when there are plenty other lines that fully cater to children. I agree with some of the posters who feel it is selfishness on the part of the parents. It really is.

I still come back to people deciding what they want to do and that is either to continue sailing when they do, sailing in months and on itineraries where you won't see many children, or finding another cruise line. Keith

Keith, surely you realize that you keep harping on this same advice over and over which is, essentially, "love it or leave it." You really have failed to convince anyone here, but worse you are attempting to defend the indefensible - SB doesn't have a responsibility to address children sensitive travelers concerns in any way, which is counter to their marketing and mission.

You sound like a really nice guy, but your arguments are completely without merit. There is a well founded issue here that appears to be changing for the worse and it's abundantly clear you have no sympathy for children sensitive cruisers who want only to receive the type of service that was marketed to them.

At this point it's time you realize that SB has an obligation to these loyal cruisers that they are very simply not meeting, period.

T

Archived