Maybe A Newbie

DeepFreeze63

HI:

DW and I will have had 5 cruises on Regent before our next cruise commitment. We love Regent but some of the itineraries on Oceania (and the good reviews) have us probably scheduling with Oceania next. Only interested in the 700 passenger size. DW won't consider any room with tub/shower combo; must be walk-in shower; are there any such on Marina or her sister ships? Room/deck suggestions would be appreciated. If I can get past the shower requirement, I'll pour through this board for other planning tips. Thanks.:)

Well if you only want the smaller ships anything A & below have walk in showers no tubs

Marina & Riveria are 1250 PAX but also have walk in showers & separate tubs in most cabins

Information on cabin sizes can be found on the website under explore the ships

The smaller ships (684 people) have shower and tub combination. The larger ships, Riviera and Marina, hold 1200 people but have separate tub and showers. But the 1200 people don't seem to make the ship that crowded or busy because the ships are laid out so well.

As prior Regent cruisers, I can tell you that we prefer Oceania over Regent everytime.

A sight correction: on the 684 passenger ships only PH and above have the tub/shower combo. The other cabins have a walk-in shower but bear in mind -- it's very small!

Mura

Hi:

Thanks for the info and insights. I'm learning to navigate the Oceania web site. It seems like my focus has to be on the larger two ships as the cabins with separate showers on the on the 700 passenger ships are two small for DW and I on extended voyages. So the question is will DW and I feel that the two new Oceania ships are too crowded for us! Before Regent, we traveled on 2000 plus passenger ships for several 7 day cruises and didn't like the atmosphere even on great itineraries like Alaska. Now retired, we've enjoyed 24 to 33 days at sea going to new places with Regent.

We're in our mid-70s but very energetic; love fine cuisine and socializing, do a lot of dancing, up for almost any excursion, but aren't sun-seekers. I'd love to hear from those of you who have been on smaller ships what makes the 1250 size Oceania ships special.:)

My personal opinion/experience

The showers on the R-ships are small but have a shower curtain & a bit more room then the O class ones in the lower Cat

the showers on the O class ships in the lower Cat are small & are enclosed ...you cannot bend over if your drop the soap ;)

The R-ships you see more people more often ..very cozy

The O class ships are not all that big & you very rarely see many people ...maybe at meals or the shows & on a hot day ...more by the pool but I think that may be the case on any ship

The O class ships have more dining venues, more things to do onboard EG: cooking classes

I do not think you could wrong with either size ship

Lyn

We have travelled on Marina (and we are booked on two more with her in November and next May) as well as multiple times on the smaller ships.

There are Oceania fans who prefer either the smaller or the larger ships, but we find ourselves more neutral. Some things we like better on the bigger ships (like additional restaurant choices), some better on the smaller ships (more intimate, etc.).

But we didn't feel "crowded" at all on Marina. After all, 1250 isn't all that large. The QE2 and NCL Gem (1700 and 2300 respectively) were far more so.

Even though Marina and Riviera are larger than you are used to, I am guessing that you would like them. It's hard to say flat out that you'll love them, because you won't know til you try one or the other. But if your DH absolutely must have a walk-in shower, I think one of the larger ships is your best bet.

Mura

I had the same concerns about the 'bigger feeling' of the O's larger ships, having only sail their R class. We love the airy design of the ship & the additional dining options. The cabin with separate tub & shower is lovely, the bedding & mattress extra comfy. We never once felt crowded, on the contrary, found that there were more intimate spaces to lounge etc..

I would not hesitate to cruise on Marina or Riviera especially for the longer itineraries. Passengers are mostly retired, well traveled folks and from how you described yourselves you would be surrounded by like minded people. Your past experience on a 2000 plus pax cruise does not compare to Marina or Riv. which has at least 800 less pax.

I had the same concerns about the 'bigger feeling' of the O's larger ships, having only sail their R class. We love the airy design of the ship & the additional dining options. The cabin with separate tub & shower is lovely, the bedding & mattress extra comfy. We never once felt crowded, on the contrary, found that there were more intimate spaces to lounge etc..

I would not hesitate to cruise on Marina or Riviera especially for the longer itineraries. Passengers are mostly retired, well traveled folks and from how you described yourselves you would be surrounded by like minded people. Your past experience on a 2000 plus pax cruise does not compare to Marina or Riv. which has at least 800 less pax.

Agree with above sentiments.

If you can spring for a PH (or above) then you are REALLY in for a treat :)

Forget anything you know about mass market cruise ships of 2000 passengers - Marina/Riviera are nothing like that at all.

We don't mind the smaller cabins on the smaller ships, and prefer the walk-in shower, even with a curtain, over the tub/shower combo in the suites on the smaller ships.

We never use the tub on the larger ships, and prefer the slightly larger walk-in showers in the penthouse suites. We also prefer the walk-in closets in the penthouse suites over the bedside closets in the standard cabins (all this on the larger ships).

Having said all that, we just booked the 180 day World Cruise in one of the smaller ocean view cabins on the smaller ship. We have experience with that cabin and know we will be just fine.

However, if space is important to you, you will defintely want a penthouse on the larger ships (Marina and Riviera). You will get the larger bathroom, larger shower, a second shower in the tub, a larger balcony, and the services of a butler. If we had our grandest desires, the World Cruise would be on Marina or Riviera instead of Insignia.

Thanks all. I'm going to research the itineraries for the O-class as they become available for late 2014 and early 2015 (DW won't consider being away between early December and New Years - a requirement that I am fine with). Probably go with a PH room.

I'm looking forward to reading through this Board; I'll most likely "see" you again as my questions arise.:):):)

. If we had our grandest desires, the World Cruise would be on Marina or Riviera instead of Insignia.

...and in the PH (or above) at affordable prices :D

Then even I might have thought about it :)

Thanks all. I'm going to research the itineraries for the O-class as they become available for late 2014 and early 2015 (DW won't consider being away between early December and New Years - a requirement that I am fine with). Probably go with a PH room.

I'm looking forward to reading through this Board; I'll most likely "see" you again as my questions arise.:):):)

As soon as you decide on an itinerary join the RollCall & share or join private tours.

BonVoyage!!!

I prefer the R ships to the extent that I would not book an O ship. SIze matters to me.

BUT, since you are a regular Regent cruiser, I recommend you book one of the larger ships. I think you will find those ships are more luxurious. The Regent cruisers who are falling in love with Oceania are falling in love with Marina and Riviera -- not the R ships. The larger ships have more dining options, larger cabins, more glitz and a more luxurious feel. I think most Regent cruisers who look to take the leap to O would be disappointed (or at least not wowed) if they booked an R ship.

I have sailed in a PH on Marina and I can only echo the other comments -- that's the way to go. Absolutely fabulous.

I prefer the R ships to the extent that I would not book an O ship. SIze matters to me.

BUT, since you are a regular Regent cruiser, I recommend you book one of the larger ships. I think you will find those ships are more luxurious. The Regent cruisers who are falling in love with Oceania are falling in love with Marina and Riviera -- not the R ships. The larger ships have more dining options, larger cabins, more glitz and a more luxurious feel. I think most Regent cruisers who look to take the leap to O would be disappointed (or at least not wowed) if they booked an R ship.

I have sailed in a PH on Marina and I can only echo the other comments -- that's the way to go. Absolutely fabulous.

I agree..we have sailed recently on Riviera with Regent cruisers. One couple was in PH and were just "wowed" the other two couples in Concierge A were not as pleased as they were not impressed with the smaller cabin. I would go with a PH on deck 10.

as well as Regent. On Oceania the décor either on the R or the O is fabulous. The tub/shower combination on the R ships is dangerous, in my opinion, but I am short and climbing out of the extremely high edged tub is hard.

The O ships, Marina and Riviera and simply fabulous. Above anything at sea. I especially like the large selection of restaurants and also the face that on the Terrace at night you can have all the lobster or steak you want plus a fabulous buffet.

We are in our 70s and very active, including rock climbing! We also like to dance which you can do in Horizons.

I vote for Marina and Riviera, but if you find the best itinerary and can stand that tub/shower combination, go for it.

Great people and staff too.

We will be taking our fifth voyage on O in November 2014. Our first two trips were on the small ships, and we are Regent veterans, as well. We enjoyed every one of these sailings. Yet, since Marina, and Riviera we are hooked on them. Somehow, we didn't notice that more passengers led to crowding. Four specialty restaurants, Terrace Cafe and Waves certainly provide enough gastronomic choice.

Archived