Should we upgrade

petsgalore

We currently have a Concierge cabin on the Eclipse in a location we like. However now we are being tempted by our TA to upgrade to a guaranteed S2 suite (for about $200) on our upcoming cruise. Looking through the threads I found that S2s are prone to noise from above and I also saw somewhere that the S2s do not have the porthole windows shown in some of the pictures, but are just larger staterooms with suite amenities --- any thoughts would be appreciated.

To be perfectly honest, I think I'd be a little unsure too.

I've looked at the deck plans, and the pictures of the S2 cabins, and tend to agree with your opinion. It seems a larger version of what you have already, but with a few more perks. Although the price to upgrade is good, it's not so good if you end up in a cabin in a position on the ship that you just don't like.

Bearing in mind that you've probably done a lot of research into the cabin you have booked, do you really want to go into the unknown and chance being under noise for the whole of your cruise?

I think unless I had a chance to see where it was first, I'd pass on that one.

Only my opinion of course, but I'm a great believer in 'if in doubt, dont' lol

Good luck

Lou

After just being assigned a cabin I liked to a higher cabin guarantee which I thought might be nice. I hated my assignment and wished I had stayed the course with my original choice. No more guarantees for me.

I think the main cause of hesitation is that they don't know the cabin they would be assigned, as it would be on a 'guarantee' basis. If you could be sure it would be one of the fantastic aft cabins - happy days :)

If not, it might be somewhere not as good as their chosen cabin.

Luck of the draw really.

Lou

With a gty, as soon as you get the room you would have to contact the TA or X ( whichever you booked) asap if you wanted to request a change. However, know that you only have available what is available. We had very good luck with booking a gty once. Would do it again for a good price.

The suites can eat in Aqua class and I think you get specialty dining I would ask the TA what the cost would be to actually pick your suite or at the least see which ones are available so you would know which cabins you are NOT likely to get!

But most important to me is location, I have done guarantees when I first started to cruise, now I always pick my cabin as carefully as anything else i purchase from the floor, what is above or below me (anchor chain), to which side of the ship I am on.

I don't think any of the S2's have the porthole window. The S1's on the aft of "S" class ships are on the corners and the porthole is one side of that corner....I may be wrong but have been in an S1 and and S2 on Equinox during a cabin crawl and the S2 did not have the porthole....

The suites can eat in Aqua class and I think you get specialty dining I would ask the TA what the cost would be to actually pick your suite or at the least see which ones are available so you would know which cabins you are NOT likely to get!

But most important to me is location, I have done guarantees when I first started to cruise, now I always pick my cabin as carefully as anything else i purchase from the floor, what is above or below me (anchor chain), to which side of the ship I am on.

OP is already in an S2

Does anyone know if once you are assigned a cabin if you can have it switched to any available cabin in that category?

In tje UK no, we have tried twice to get moved and been told once a definite no and another time told they drop you back into the pool and you are auto assigned and could get the same cabin or worse. We spoke to captains club and they told us that they get into serious trouble if they try to move a guarantee and it was not worth their job

One of the differences between UK and USA bookings !

I get that there are different price structures, discounts, deposit refunds etc, etc, etc - don't get what the difference is in moving someone from a guarantee cabin if you've booked in the UK.

Lou

We currently have a Concierge cabin on the Eclipse in a location we like. However now we are being tempted by our TA to upgrade to a guaranteed S2 suite (for about $200) on our upcoming cruise. Looking through the threads I found that S2s are prone to noise from above and I also saw somewhere that the S2s do not have the porthole windows shown in some of the pictures, but are just larger staterooms with suite amenities --- any thoughts would be appreciated.

We have had upgrade guarantees and been very happy. The perks, service and size of the cabin are wonderful. The only comment, is that on some ships, they do not sell out the handicapped access suites, and typically those get assigned first to guarantees. While the cabin is great, you do not get a bath tub- but you do not get one in CC either-

On our next cruise , next week, we have a guarantee Sky Suite 2, and I am very happy with the location and the cabin we have been assigned. Go for it!! You will be happy you did!

Enjoy your cruise

Friends of ours did take advantage of this opportunity last May; however, they said that they could hear noise in the AM & PM, along with the shower being in a tub and way too short for her hubby being 6'1". Yes, they also could eat in Blu for $5.00 if there was room, along with 2 free specialty dinners. :cool::eek:That being said, realize that it could be something that you both would enjoy or not. If you can deal with any shortcomings, you should be fine in my opinion...for what it's worth.

Have you ever sailed in a Sky Suite? If not, then I certainly would take the guarantee for around $200 just to give it a try. If you got a Sky Suite that was a little bit noisy in the am or pm, would that negate all the wonderful other benefits that go with it?? If so, then pass it by. Otherwise, I would (and have) definitely go for it! We did that and got very, very lucky in scoring a corner S1. Couldn't believe the room! Another on our Roll Call did the same and got upgraded to a Royal Suite. (not likely, but possible. I think it was because they were new to Celebrity - don't get me started on that:rolleyes:). Some got S2 handicapped cabins. Some got regular S2.

But all in all, this is what I would do. You sound very, very skeptical. It's your vacation. Don't let the TA push you into a 'bargain' you don't want.

One of the differences between UK and USA bookings !

I get that there are different price structures, discounts, deposit refunds etc, etc, etc - don't get what the difference is in moving someone from a guarantee cabin if you've booked in the UK.

Lou

Lou,

If you don't mind me asking.....where on the NW Coast?

Thanks.

Lou,

If you don't mind me asking.....where on the NW Coast?

Thanks.

We live in Cumbria (home of the beautiful lake district) right on the coast, and have a view right across the Solway to Scotland from our lounge window :)

We have a small marina at the bottom of our road, and I always joke if I can't be on the sea, at least I can look at it every day,lol

Less than half an hours drive, and we're in the Lakes

Lou

Count me as one who has been bitten by the noise from above issue. However, now armed with my white noise app on my iPod/iPad, for that price I'd take the risk. The S2 cabins have a lot more space (especially wardrobe and drawers and in the bathroom), a bath tub (assuming it's not an accessible cabin), a much more comfortable sofa to sit on and depending upon itinerary length you get one or two complimentary Specialty Restaurant visits. You will also be able to have your breakfast in Blu (which is very nice) and if there is space eat in there in the evenings. I can take or leave the butler, but you'll have one of those too and if he is good then it can be a real plus. If you are allocated one of the side S2s on the resort deck they have very shady balconies because of the overhang, but not an issue for me.

Random thoughts.

Phil

We live in Cumbria (home of the beautiful lake district) right on the coast, and have a view right across the Solway to Scotland from our lounge window :)

We have a small marina at the bottom of our road, and I always joke if I can't be on the sea, at least I can look at it every day,lol

Less than half an hours drive, and we're in the Lakes

Lou

A beautiful part of the world. I too am only minutes from the sea. On the phone. LOL

Phil

Thank you everyone for your thoughts - after a little research and a lot of soul searching we decided to stay put in our CC cabin. We know what we are getting and honestly I am more than a little worried about the noise issue. Looking at the deck plan and comparing the "left over" staterooms to what people report from previous cruises it seems pretty clear that most of those are prone to noise from above. We are happy with what we have and for the money that we are not spending we can easily eat twice in the specialty restaurants. Maybe some other time when we can actually choose our S.

Archived