Drinking age?

I am 26 and will be going on my first cruise to the Bahamas, It's probably safe to assume at most ports in the Caribbean the drinking age is 18 (right?), but what about when the ship is at sea? Will there be drunk 18 19 20 year olds on board being served?

The drinking age on most ships is 21 (NCL is one line that allows 18-20 yo's to drink beer and wine with parental consent).

No...the staff will get in MAJOR trouble if they serve underaged folks...and so will the families/friend of the underaged drinkers....they can be kicked off the ship.

In the Caribbean, the drinking age ON THE SHIP is 21. In ports...all bets are off...they allow younger folks to drink in most places...but not all! Get a guidebook to see what the drinking ages are!

Thanks everyone... yeah I figured on an American Ship at sea the age would be 21... probably a good thing ;) ... But wasn't sure because legally when your in international waters, well you know all bets are off.....

Well,....there pretty much aren't any American cruise ships.

Thanks everyone... yeah I figured on an American Ship at sea the age would be 21... probably a good thing ;) ... But wasn't sure because legally when your in international waters, well you know all bets are off.....

I think the cruise lines learned that allowing younger passengers to travel without an adult and allowing them to drink did not work well.

I am 26 and will be going on my first cruise to the Bahamas, It's probably safe to assume at most ports in the Caribbean the drinking age is 18 (right?), but what about when the ship is at sea? Will there be drunk 18 19 20 year olds on board being served?

This is a prime time family sailing week. I think you will have many more families they you would underage drinking.

On Carnival a person under the age 0f 21 can not book unless there is someone in the cabin age 25 or over

I mean ships that start and end in The United States....

Each cruise line sets their own policies. General rule is that all cabins must have at least one person 21/over ( which is always excepted for married couples under 21)

In "American waters" NCL allows a parent to sign for beer/wine for 18-20, Royal does not. It is easy to tell, the sea pass cards for children and adults are not the same. For ships home ported in Europe, our regulations apply. Same with smoking restrictions

Be aware, the drinking age in the rest of the world is 16-18. Responsible use of alcohol is a separate issue from age.

-Holly

Who thinks that drinking at 16 and no driving before 18 a much more rational combination than driving at 15-16 and drinking at 21 (right.....

Well,....there pretty much aren't any American cruise ships.

Even though they are flagged in other countries several cruise lines are owned by American companies, use American dollars as basis for shipboard payments.

Archived