appropriate flight from Miami?

rundent

I have read that the terminal that O uses in Miami is not the same as the majority of the lines and can be pretty chaotic when disembarking. The ship will be arriving on 1/16, a Thursday, scheduled for 7:00. AA has a flight departing at 10:15 A.M. that I would be willing to self-disembark for if it seems like a fairly safe bet to those who have used this terminal before.

I try to avoid tension with close calls, but the thought of hanging around until after 4 is pretty nasty. So I'm seeking input [why else would I post?] as to hazardous it is and what options are prudent.

If this is the first US port for the ship, I would advise against a 10:15 flight.

The ship may be late arriving and there is no telling when the ship will be cleared by customs - sometimes it is fast, at other times not so fast.

You cannot disembark before the ship is cleared.

If you don't like stress, don't book an early flight. If you don't have TSA pre clearance, the security lines can be very long at MIA.

Maybe plan a nice day in South Beach or something like that before your afternoon flight.

JMO.

I have read that the terminal that O uses in Miami is not the same as the majority of the lines and can be pretty chaotic when disembarking. The ship will be arriving on 1/16, a Thursday, scheduled for 7:00. AA has a flight departing at 10:15 A.M. that I would be willing to self-disembark for if it seems like a fairly safe bet to those who have used this terminal before.

I try to avoid tension with close calls, but the thought of hanging around until after 4 is pretty nasty. So I'm seeking input [why else would I post?] as to hazardous it is and what options are prudent.

If it's a domestic flight you have a chance but the ship may not clear until after 7 so I personally would not risk it. Some will surely tell you, no problem, however I would leave more time. Good luck whatever you decide.

+1 (or would it be +2?) for what Paul and Orchestrapal have already posted.

The ship MAY clear Customs seamlessly, but why take the chance?

There are some very nice spots for a leisurely luncheon in the Airport, and a glass or three of wine might not be the worst way to end your vacation. :rolleyes:

You didn't say where you were flying to after leaving the ship, but the advice given that you may be asking for trouble with a departure at 10 am is pretty accurate. Miami (MIA) is a zoo no matter what time of day and distances from curb to gate are long.....

An alternative you may want to consider is to move your departure to Fort Lauderdale, a short distance from Miami and a much less congested airport.

Good Luck!! :)

Do not try to make that early flight. Airlines frequently overbook, and if you are under an hour, I believe they say, you may find your seat gone. We don't like hanging around until 3:30 either, but worse things have happened.

Oceania uses terminal J which is the only cruise terminal on the South/Right side of Dodge Island. It is right by the bridge as you come over to the island. There will be two other ships in port that day but they will be on the other side of the Island. I found the terminal to be rather quiet, with very little hassle. We got a cab in about ten minutes and we were on our way. We were in the first group off. With all that said I would never get a flight before noon.

You didn't say where you were flying to after leaving the ship, but the advice given that you may be asking for trouble with a departure at 10 am is pretty accurate. Miami (MIA) is a zoo no matter what time of day and distances from curb to gate are long.....

An alternative you may want to consider is to move your departure to Fort Lauderdale, a short distance from Miami and a much less congested airport.

Good Luck!! :)

We too book in and out of Fort Lauderdale. You can get a shuttle for $15 each way to/from ship. Much better airport experience.

Oceania uses terminal J which is the only cruise terminal on the South/Right side of Dodge Island. It is right by the bridge as you come over to the island. There will be two other ships in port that day but they will be on the other side of the Island. I found the terminal to be rather quiet, with very little hassle. We got a cab in about ten minutes and we were on our way. We were in the first group off. With all that said I would never get a flight before noon.

Then you should consider yourself very lucky.

We were there with the Marina and didn't leave the ship until after 9:30.

The lines for taxis were ENDLESS and chaos reigned. We had a Hertz pick up and even that took over 45 minutes.

It was a total disaster that morning. There were so many people and cars that traffic could not move! It looked more like rush hour on an LA freeway than a cruise terminal.

So - it could be very smooth or total chaos.

OP - how lucky do you feel ? :D

PS The situation was made worse by the hundreds of TA arriving to tour Marina that morning and that created a traffic jam.

Edited by Paulchili

Then you should consider yourself very lucky.

We were there with the Marina and didn't leave the ship until after 9:30.

The lines for taxis were ENDLESS and chaos reigned. We had a Hertz pick up and even that took over 45 minutes.

It was a total disaster that morning. There were so many people and cars that traffic could not move! It looked more like rush hour on an LA freeway than a cruise terminal.

So - it could be very smooth or total chaos.

OP - how lucky do you feel ? :D

+1

DEFINITELY ARRANGE FOR PRIVATE TRANSPORTATION

Don't bank on getting a taxi in a short time.

I guess the taxi thing is based on how many ships are in port. When we were there there were four, for the op it is three, at times the pass load can be 20,000 plus. Easy to check and plan.

That part is true. What's not easy to check and plan is when the ship will actually arrive (ships have been known to arrive late for any number of reasons; or earlier, as the case may be) and when it will get cleared by customs. :)

I agree with Paul

We were told the ship would arrive at 7am we were still in the channel at 7:30 am

Another cruise (with Paul) we were delayed due to a CDC inspection... ship was not cleared until 9:30 am ..then the taxi queue was long & hampered by TA's arriving & blocking the line

We made it to the airport with minutes to spare for our 12:30 flight ...only good thing is that we had booked exec class seats & there was no line up at the counter

Hire a private transfer some will take you to some sites or Bayside & hold the luggage in the boot while you look around then take you to the airport in time for the flight

Lyn

I agree with Paul

We were told the ship would arrive at 7am we were still in the channel at 7:30 am

Another cruise (with Paul) we were delayed due to a CDC inspection... ship was not cleared until 9:30 am ..then the taxi queue was long & hampered by TA's arriving & blocking the line

We made it to the airport with minutes to spare for our 12:30 flight ...only good thing is that we had booked exec class seats & there was no line up at the counter

Lyn

Yes Lyn - I remember that morning very well.

It obviously is not like that every time but the point is that it cannot be predicted with accuracy.

Flights after 12 or 1 PM should be stress free.

Paul

Yes Lyn - I remember that morning very well.

It obviously is not like that every time but the point is that it cannot be predicted with accuracy.

Flights after 12 or 1 PM should be stress free.

Paul

I too remember that very well. We have disembarked in MIA many times and usually we picked up our luggage and went out the terminal. In March we were on Riviera and we all had to clear customs personally. What a mess that was picking up luggage then standing in long, long lines. Is this the way it will be from now on???

I'm not surprised at having to go through customs, that's what we've done in FLL in the past. As for Miami, we'll be disembarking in December and going to a nearby Avis pickup place. Does anyone know if there will be an Avis shuttle bus that we can grab, or would a cab be easier and more comfortable?

Had been considering using FLL but didn't know that the shuttle was only $15/head. What do you get for so little money? Also, what's their name?

Thanks

SAS transport. It is a shuttle that sits about 15 people. They will pick you up airport or hotel bring you to ship. On return you just call them after you have your baggage and clear customs. I will try to find email address for you.

Oops, I think you mean www.ridesas.com.

OP -- We will have the same scenario next April and we will wait for a 5pm departure for the peace of mind and less rushing on the last day of our cruise. Have a great cruise whatever you decide to do.

Billie

Ooops thank you for correcting

We were on the Riviera and had a late flight out of Miami to San Diego. We don't often book ship tours, but booked a tour through Oceania for a tour of Miami. It was quite nice and they got us to the airport. If you aren't aware of this, for those who fly United, there is no United Club at the airport. Pretty ridiculous for such a large city.

If you aren't aware of this, for those who fly United, there is no United Club at the airport. Pretty ridiculous for such a large city.

That's because UA is a small player there - it's a major AA hub.

Detroit (the metro area) is bigger than Miami (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_metropolitan_areas_by_population

and doesn't have an Admirals Club - because AA is a small potato there.

Like it or not, that's how it works :)