Need I take bug spray to Alaska?

turning46

We leave in about two weeks (hooray!), and we are visiting Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. Should we pack bug spray and, if so, take it with us at every port? We won't be spending a lot of time on land at Ketchikan or Juneau, as we have a sea kayaking excursion and a whale watching excursion planned, respectively.

What do you folks with Alaska experience advise?

Peggy

We leave in about two weeks (hooray!), and we are visiting Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. Should we pack bug spray and, if so, take it with us at every port? We won't be spending a lot of time on land at Ketchikan or Juneau, as we have a sea kayaking excursion and a whale watching excursion planned, respectively.

Peggy

Better safe than sorry. I think I only used it once when we went to Alaska, but that could be because we had rainy weather almost the entire week. We went in the beginning of July.

The mosquito is the state bird of Alaska. If you spend enough time in Alaska you will also learn about the "Alaska Clap" - which is essentially the common (and frequent) practice of clapping your hand to try and kill mosquitoes. Alaska in general has bad mosquitoes, but because of the weather this year they are particularly bad. While it will depend on where you go and the weather that day if you end up needing bug spray, definitely bring it along.

Peggy

Last May I brought Bounce dryer sheets instead of gooey, stinky spray. Many locals use them and they worked great for me.

Peggy

If you are only visiting these ports and not doing any interior touring (Denali, etc.) then it shouldn't be an issue. I have always taken some of the Off Wipes and carried them in purse/backpack on excursions, but have never used them. I can't even remember ever seeing any mosquitoes in these ports.

June and even early July was terrible this year for mosquitoes in southcentral Alaska. But by now they are all but gone. You shouldn't have any issues.

Sorry but they are still here. We live about 25 miles north of Anchorage in the Chugiak/Eagle River area and we're still getting the little blood suckers. A recent series of rain showers brought them back out again.

You can buy bug spray up here at any of the ports. Our local Fred Meyers in Eagle River is loaded with "bug juice".

We still have some mosquitos in the Interior, but not many at this date.

And I was glad to read the suggestion regarding Bounce dryer sheets -- I've used them for years as a mosquito repellant. They aren't as successful as mosquito repellant, but I just can't stand the smell of most repellants.

Sorry but they are still here. We live about 25 miles north of Anchorage in the Chugiak/Eagle River area and we're still getting the little blood suckers. A recent series of rain showers brought them back out again.

You can buy bug spray up here at any of the ports. Our local Fred Meyers in Eagle River is loaded with "bug juice".

You saved me from having to write this...they're definitely back!

Most definitely, take it. For anything inland, pre-soak your clothes in a Permethrin solution (like the U.S. military does; available from REI, etc. and made by Sawyer) and then use a DEET-based repellent as well. 3M Ultrathon is a heavy-duty repellent that has served us well on seven continents. Available in a lotion and a spray.

Cathy

• 5 months later...

Is it true that you cannot take a canister of DEET on the plane (even in checked luggage?) and can only take the pump form? The pump stuff we have is not 100% DEET, but the canister is. P.S. We are going to Denali in July, so this is where we expect to need it.

Most definitely, take it. For anything inland, pre-soak your clothes in a Permethrin solution (like the U.S. military does; available from REI, etc. and made by Sawyer) and then use a DEET-based repellent as well. 3M Ultrathon is a heavy-duty repellent that has served us well on seven continents. Available in a lotion and a spray.

Cathy

We spent several days at the place at the end of the road in Denali. We used Deet, Permethrin, and we also wore our nets that we bought for our Australia trip. I agree that you should take every bit of bug fighting stuff that you own. You may not need all the stuff but it can't hurt. Just remember that mosquitoes in Alaska have been known to carry off small children.

We are doing an Amazon cruise in a few weeks. We may look stupid with our bug nets but it beats getting bit and maybe getting malaria.

DON