Can you bring an aloe plant on board??

Kikimeister

So I know this is a weird question but can you bring a plant onboard your cruise...specifically an aloe plant? I burn easily and aloe straight from the plant is best at healing the burns quickly and painlessly.

Has anyone done this? Do you know if it is "allowed"?

So I know this is a weird question but can you bring a plant onboard your cruise...specifically an aloe plant? I burn easily and aloe straight from the plant is best at healing the burns quickly and painlessly.

no agriculture allowed, period.

they make lots of after sun care loaded with aloe vera, I carry a bottle with me every cruise.

the trick is to use lots of sunscreen liberally, avoid extensive sun exposure( wearing long sleeves, hats etc) and finding loungers in the shade. skin cancer tuns amuck in my family and DH is a red head. it's not that hard to avoid burns even in the caribbean.

It is not, as a plant in dirt. You can probably feel safe bringing a piece on board but you are not allowed to bring potted plants in soil.

won't work. the cut heals over very fast and dries out the rest of the gel in the leaf.

Thanks for the quick replies! Will find another way to get my aloe on board.

I'd recommend you get aloe gel. We buy it in pump dispensers at drugstore.com but you can buy it in tube form at many sites (just google it) if your local drugstores don't carry it.

Get an AloeRunner.

Blimey, if you're getting burns that you need to 'heal' you are putting yourself at a big risk with skin cancer :eek:

Slap on the sunblock, and loads of it - even if you can heal burns, you can't undo the damage they have already done.

Better still, use self-tan, or get a spray tan before you go, and stay in the shade - much safer :)

Lou

Blimey, if you're getting burns that you need to 'heal' you are putting yourself at a big risk with skin cancer :eek:

Slap on the sunblock, and loads of it - even if you can heal burns, you can't undo the damage they have already done.

Better still, use self-tan, or get a spray tan before you go, and stay in the shade - much safer :)

Lou

You also might consider SUNSCREEN - and lots of it. A preemptive strike as it were - avoid the sunburn in the first place.

Not to be rude, but, uh, DUH. I use SPF 100. I'm pretty fair-skinned. I still burn. The post was about whether I could bring an aloe plant onboard, not whether I should use sunscreen.

I figure in this day and age, sunscreen use shouldn't be a question...

We have 2 friends who have similar issues as the OP in that they both are very fair (one is Irish) and burn very easily...even with most sunscreens. They both now wear very specialized swim clothing that totally protects them from the sun but is so lightweight that the shirts and pants are comfy. These products can also be worn while swimming and dry very quickly. One of those two friends love to swim, and she says the other benefit of the sunprotection clothing is that it also prevents jellyfish stings.

Hank

After I had my hip replacement surgery, I used aloe plants and Vitamin E to help heal the incision. You can cut one leaf off the plant and it will last a week as you cut a slice each morning and night to apply the juice to the area to be treated. The leaf does not dry out, only the end cut. Slice it again and it's nice and juicy.

Since you wouldn't be allowed to bring a potted plant on board, and are concerned about having aloe for healing sunburns, why not ask your family physician what he/she recommends? We like to use Vaseline Aloe Fresh. Not only is it great for soothing mild sunburns, it also helps to moisturize dried skin.

I think the whole idea's kind of nutty, but if the problem is bringing soil on board, here are two ideas:

- Remove the plant from the soil, rinse the roots well, and repot in some of those crystals that hold water and replace soil. The plant probably won't survive long-term, but it'll live more than a week.

- Cut several large, fat stalks and bring them onboard. The ends will dry up, but the middle will remain "juicy" for a week.

I think the whole idea's kind of nutty, but if the problem is bringing soil on board, here are two ideas:

- Remove the plant from the soil, rinse the roots well, and repot in some of those crystals that hold water and replace soil. The plant probably won't survive long-term, but it'll live more than a week.

- Cut several large, fat stalks and bring them onboard. The ends will dry up, but the middle will remain "juicy" for a week.

I probably will do one of those two things actually. Didn't think of the packing it in crystals, was just going to use a wet towel and put them in the fridge when I got to the room.

its not just the soil. even if they are allowed to bring it on board in that form(crystals), they will NOT be allowed to bring it off the ship at the end. and those plants take a while to cultivate.

its easier, simpler and less hassle to just buy a tube or three of the gel. any Homeopathy store has them, right next to the pure juice. Trader Joe's, Whole Foods also carries it.

Just another "thought"

We took my grandson with us on our last cruise and he ended up burned (thanks to me repeatedly telling his mother, my daughter, to put a shirt on him and she didn't, then it was too late) and we were using the aloe and it wasn't helping.

A guy on the ship one night approached us because he seen the misery that my grandson was in (fever and all) and gave us a jar of Noxema. It worked WONDERS!!! When my daughter applied it, the burning sensation was instantly removed and by the next day, he was back to his old self and a lot of the burn was gone. I will always take some Noxema with me every cruise from here on out. :)

Archived