Need guidance from those familiar with the layout of the Summit's pool/sun decks?

jax430

We are sailing on the Summit on 8/18 with our 14-month-old. We will be bringing a small inflatable infant bathtub for her to splash in, as she is not permitted in the pools with a swim diaper.

I would like to set up the tub between lounge chairs as so to be unobtrusive, and also would like to set it up away from the main pool area, as DD will see the pool and will want to go right in.

Any suggestions on the best place/deck to do this, and/or the best way to fill it (I realize that might be a question for the Family board)?

(Please, no commentary on whether or not we should be bringing a toddler on a Celebrity cruise. It's an extended family trip that my mom is taking us on, and since it's in two weeks, the point is moot.)

We are sailing on the Summit on 8/18 with our 14-month-old. We will be bringing a small inflatable infant bathtub for her to splash in, as she is not permitted in the pools with a swim diaper.

I would like to set up the tub between lounge chairs as so to be unobtrusive, and also would like to set it up away from the main pool area, as DD will see the pool and will want to go right in.

Any suggestions on the best place/deck to do this, and/or the best way to fill it (I realize that might be a question for the Family board)?

(Please, no commentary on whether or not we should be bringing a toddler on a Celebrity cruise. It's an extended family trip that my mom is taking us on, and since it's in two weeks, the point is moot.)

I saw a woman do this on that exact ship and I thought it was brilliant. Baby had a great time.... People liked to see it, and no one was bothered by it at all. She kept it set up all day. She had the pool set up back from the pool a little bit, where it was near the shady part. The pool butler will help you find the right spot to set up so that you are in a safe area and not in a main walkway.

Please don't feel defensive about having a baby on Celebrity, I have seen plenty of nbabies on Celebrity. Some people around here are anti-children, but they are by far the minority.

People should commend you for following the pool diaper rules, that is one of the times where you will see alot of anti-baby sentiment....when the parent doesn't follow the rules. You are obviously a good parent who follows the rules, we like that:)

I can't answer your question but I do want to commend you for following the rules on keeping diapered kids out of the pools. I hope you can work out the tub logistics, and have a very wonderful trip with your family!

People should commend you for following the pool diaper rules, that is one of the times where you will see alot of anti-baby sentiment....when the parent doesn't follow the rules. You are obviously a good parent who follows the rules, we like that:)

Thanks to both of you. I'm a rule follower, so I would never even consider bringing her in the pool when the rules forbid it. It seems silly to me that I would even be praised for following the rules, but I know many people probably ignore it or think that their kid should be an exception.

There should be plenty of space for you to do just as you suggest. The Summit pool deck can get crowded but that is generally right next to the pool. If you back off a bit, you will find space.

What a great idea! I wish I'd thought of this many years ago on our DD's first cruise. She also was 14 months old - a Bermuda cruise on the QE2 (yes, it was actually decades ago). You should be able to find an appropriate spot - away from the main pool (DD would have preferred that too) but near to a source of water for filling it. Maybe even Deck 11 forward of the Mast Bar (using water from there) or all the way aft on 11 with water from one deck below in the buffet area. I've even read that some parents have used these small pools on their balconies. Borrow a pitcher from the staff!

As for cruising with a 14 month old- my only warning is that cruising can be addictive. Our DD still loves cruising, so much so that she was married onboard the Summit two summers ago- on the way to Bermuda.

there are some rules about these little pools also--esp dumping them out etc. so check with Celeb ahead of time & pool staff!

maybe up near the kiddie pool area would be a good spot, if there's a place to dump out the water,,,

While we've done this with our DD on another ship (not the Summit), I suggest setting up near one of the drains in the floor. This way, you can dump the water right into the drain, so it does not get all over the pool deck (and you won't have to carry a full tub around looking for somewhere to drain it).

As for filling it, since we didn't want chlorine pool water or salt water for our DD (she was only 7 months), we asked the bar for a bucket (used for beers) and filled the pool using water from the pool-side shower. Not sure if the Summit has a shower next to the pool, but might be worth checking out.

Have a great time!

I have been on the Summit in August the past 2 years and the Lido Deck on sea days is super packed with passengers. I suggest you set up the pool on deck 11 just behind the Mast Bar. I would sit here on my cruise because it was not so busy, you can hear music from the Lido Deck band and of course you are just steps to the Mast Bar. Plus there are drains along the back of the bar area.

I absolutely agree with checking with the pool staff as regards where to set up, how to fill, and how to empty. As has been stated, emptying is a key point as the pool water may be contaminated with you-know-what, which is why babies can't go in the pools to begin with. No one wants that all over the deck, including the OP I am sure:).

To the OP, have fun on your cruise. It is challenging traveling with a toddler, but with an extended family and conscientious parents it can be done with everyone having a good time.

I will not get into bring a kid or not, but I did want to respond to one point made on this thread - everyone who does not recommend bringing infants/toddlers on cruises is not necessarily a 'child hater'. They may just think it is not a good option. The OP states it is a done deal, so I wish them a great cruise.

As for cruising with a 14 month old- my only warning is that cruising can be addictive. Our DD still loves cruising, so much so that she was married onboard the Summit two summers ago- on the way to Bermuda.

Love this! I love cruises, and would definitely cruise much more frequently if the budget allowed for it. Unfortunately, since I work in a school, I'm limited to peak travel times. :(

Hi, I think I know you from another board and gave you some tips. I have to say I looked around bc our 1st cruise DD#2 was only 26 months. She did fully train in time bc she wanted to swim. Everyone is right. It was very hard to find any spots by the pool. You could bring a sand pail to fill the tub since you are driving. There are showers around the main tub to fill it. Might be easier to dump with a larger sand pail you could refill and take to a drain. The problem will be set up. I had planned to use our balcony do you have one? That might be easiest. Sea days there were some areas you might get one between the seats but they have them in pretty tight. The level above might be better as they are spaced a bit further apart. Also would reduce her interests from wanting to go in. Otherwise there was an area between the pool or at one end. There are some low tables for drinks if you take the table out you might get one in. Otherwise try the end of the rows.

Take her on lots of walks. My girls favorite thing was just exploring the ship. Lots of empty lounges to explore where you bother no one. Basketball court is fun to run around.

Not sure if you know but if you have a fussy night and decide against the MDR. The buffet has a "grill" station tucked in the back (sandwiches during the day) but at night they grill steaks, salmon, chicken and pork. You can have a decent meal with less formal stress. Additionally, you can arrange to get the MDR food delivered to your stateroom. Very handy if you want a nice meal but not trying to do a 2hr meal with a 14 month old.

1st time we arranged for a table for 4 for early seating and the same table for late. We took the girls (they loved getting dressed up and we had all the surrounding tables tell us how much they enjoyed seeing them -we never had anything neg like you read here) about a hour in we passed them to my parents. This worked for the next one but our parents ate in Blu and were more flexible. I brought those foam stickers and small foam building magnets to keep them busy. We also asked for a quiet table in the back by the window. See if you can get one. The girls could look out when they had them open. They have kids menu but you can order anything on the regular menu. They got the girls sliced fruits, smaller steaks with vegetables and fries. They also made grilled chicken.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I"m a preschool teacher. Have you thought about just bringing a dishpan and 2-3 cups, a couple little fishies, those water balls that you can squeeze, a turkey baster, etc? You can take her to the shower and get her all wet, and then let her sit on a towel and play in the water to her heart's content. I haven't seen a child yet who didn't love playing like this. I love the idea of the little pool, too! Just thought this might be easier for you and just as much fun for the baby. Hope you have a great cruise!!:D

We were just on Summit the beginning of July with our 14 month old.he did great and seemed to really enjoy the trip as much as we did. We brought the blow up duck tub, as recommended by so many on CC. He did great with the duck tub. We brought it to the pool deck on one of the port days, had most of the pool deck to ourselves. Filled the duck tub with water from the showers. He had a grand time. We placed it in between two loungers in the shade, fit perfectly. Drained it in a drain in the deck so the water did not go in the pool. He was so preoccupied with his duck and toys, he didn't realize mommy and daddy took turns in the pool, hot tubs, and t-pool. Worked out great.

We also used the duck tub on our balcony, for play and bath time. Perfect! It helped we had a corner FV with those amazing balconies though...

You will do all the things you usually do with your babe, but you'll be doing it all on a beautiful ship, and get to enjoy the amenities yourself.

Enjoy!

:D:D

I just got home from Summit yesterday and there were kids of all ages

on board....little babies, toddlers, tweens, teens, etc......

Hope you and your family have a wonderful time:)

Hi, I think I know you from another board and gave you some tips.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Yes! Too funny that you found me on here! Thanks again for all of your help!

Thanks so much to ALL of you who responded to me. I'm feeling much more confident about the cruise now. It's all going to work out just fine. :)

I"m a preschool teacher. Have you thought about just bringing a dishpan and 2-3 cups, a couple little fishies, those water balls that you can squeeze, a turkey baster, etc? You can take her to the shower and get her all wet, and then let her sit on a towel and play in the water to her heart's content. I haven't seen a child yet who didn't love playing like this. I love the idea of the little pool, too! Just thought this might be easier for you and just as much fun for the baby. Hope you have a great cruise!!:D

I am a preschool psychologist...lol..I have some of those things on the packing dish already, but did not think of the dishpan. Excellent idea, especially if it's a day we don't feel like shlepping the tub up to the pool area.

Archived