First timer. Cruise excursions question

camptalcott

Hello All,

First I apologize if this question has been asked a thousand times, I'm new here and just getting the hang of things.

So my family and I are finally going to take the plunge and cruise. right now it seems like Royal Caribbean is the leading contender.

I have a few questions

1) Is there an "average"price folks spend on "Add ons" and excursions?

2) will they tell you what excursions are available before hand or is there some where, where we can find the information.

Looking at doing the Eastern Caribbean some time early summer 2014 (late may early June)

Thanks in Advance

Camp

The best place for RCI info is on the RCI board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

It would be incredibly difficult to predict an average set of expenses, for people here on Cruise Critic, as we only know our own personal spending habits. And have no way to compare with anybody else's spending habits. And, there is a very wide range of spending habits!

Info on excursions should be available on the RCI website.

Hello All,

First I apologize if this question has been asked a thousand times, I'm new here and just getting the hang of things.

So my family and I are finally going to take the plunge and cruise. right now it seems like Royal Caribbean is the leading contender.

I have a few questions

2) will they tell you what excursions are available before hand or is there some where, where we can find the information.

Looking at doing the Eastern Caribbean some time early summer 2014 (late may early June)

Thanks in Advance

Camp

Welcome to Cruise Critic Camptalcott. As far as excursions prices it depends where you're traveling to. You can easily see the price of your excursions by clicking on the Excursions tab at the Royal Caribbean website on your cruise date.

If you going to Europe and you do an all-day 8 hour bus trip it can run $120 per person. If your doing a beach excursion in St. Maarten in can run $59 a person.

If this is your first cruise it's best to book a few trips with the cruise line this way if the tour is late returning the ship will wait for you. If you are late returning the ship will not wait.

Get yourself a guide book that covers your ports and study the cruise excursions and see which stops you can do on your own. There are some ports particularly in Europe you can walk on your own like Barcelona, Spain for instance.

Jonathan

Most things in the Caribbean are incredibly easy to do on your own...without paying for an excursion! The guidebook idea is great....libraries have them. Read up on where you're going, and you may find you won't need excursions to do what interests you!

Welcome to cruise critic. It will be difficult to get an average for shore excursion spending. Perhaps the cruise line would give it to you. Prices range from $30 or so to hundreds or even, in a few cases, thousands per person.

You can spend as much or as little as you want. I'm relatively cheap so it's just 2 bottles of wine and "blackjack tournament" fees for me on a 7 day cruise. I usually do my own research and excursions but if time is a factor, I'll do the ships version. My rule of thumb is if the excursion takes more than 60% of my shore time or if language could be an issue, I'll take a private tour or ship's excursion.

All excursions are usually posted on their website and that's where I go to see if there's anything interesting. That's when I determine whether I can do it on my own.

You might want to consider that many cruisers never book any excursions. In the Caribbean it is relatively easy to get to most places and do things on your own for a lot less money then the cruise lines excursions. But excursions are a good option for those either afraid to do anything on their own or folks who are simply willing to pay the big bucks for the convenience.

Hank

The Royal Caribbean website has info on excursions to the ports they visit. If you are going to the Caribbean do you research and ask questions on the port boards. If your family is likes beachy things there are a lot of ports where you can get there on your own. It is hard to plan a first cruise not know how much extras cost. Don't forget gratuities and drinks (alcoholic and sodas cost extra). Try to buy stuff you will need before you get on the ship - toiletries and personal items cost a lot more onboard.

Archived