Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Just having a look at a June 2016 cruise on the Whisper and found the new website has been modified so I can now see individual prices for all the veranda suites. I had quick look through some CC pages but didn't find a reference to Silversea's new website. Is this quite new?

Rocchi

Edited by Rocchi

Jeff - am loving both your pictures and Terry's. It is pretty brass monkeys round here, so looking at the tropics is a tonic. Orchids - not a particular favourite, but I do really like the more delicate colour ones, with the 'spots'. Your night time piccies are terrific also; I don't remember the 'trees', but it is quite a while since I was in Singapore; probably 20 years, so no doubt some things have changed! Tell a lie, we have been in the port there a few years ago, but it was straight to Changi and home. At that time the business class lounge was pretty awful, very overcrowded and not very good from the food and drink point of view. Maybe they have new ones now. I have a feeling that you may be first class lounge people, though?

Jeff - am loving both your pictures and Terry's. It is pretty brass monkeys round here, so looking at the tropics is a tonic. Orchids - not a particular favourite, but I do really like the more delicate colour ones, with the 'spots'. Your night time piccies are terrific also; I don't remember the 'trees', but it is quite a while since I was in Singapore; probably 20 years, so no doubt some things have changed! Tell a lie, we have been in the port there a few years ago, but it was straight to Changi and home. At that time the business class lounge was pretty awful, very overcrowded and not very good from the food and drink point of view. Maybe they have new ones now. I have a feeling that you may be first class lounge people, though?

Hi LL,

Yes, the whole of Marina Bay and the Gardens By the Bay was reclaimed land. It seems like an exaggeration but this all appeared very quickly. Quite an extraordinary feat. There are two enormous conservatories which we use to take annual passes to but found we don't visit often enough. Re the pics .... I just point and shoot ... thanks!

The combined Business/First lounge (there is no F lounge as such) is still as dire a now as it has always been and we don't bother with it at all as the airport public areas is better than the lounge, but take some drinks either in the Qantas or Cathay lounge and then eat in the staff food hall which is a "secret" of Changi Airport. It isn't advertised but they just charge non-staff a bit more. I think I may have linked to it in an earlier post. Really great food.

We're back in a few days and dreading the cold and wifey really want's to stay here this time. I am however desperate to get back to my kitchen. It is an extraordinary place here and in a way I'm pleased that apart from the cruise ships there are virtually no tourists But we're lucky, we're back for our next extended stay in early June .... not too long to wait.

:)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Jeff's pictures look way too warm... Almost uncomfortable! Here is a shot of our reality over the weekend. Since this picture was taken, almost another foot of snow has fallen:

10985616_10152996010384123_6060504492275203792_n.jpg?oh=c57f512d434021fd29b75d3b6c1d00bd&oe=5553B25E&__gda__=1431253064_caea4963ec42365852f89fe9835aa406

We are coping the best way that we know how - planning for our upcoming river cruise! We leave in 5 weeks and 2 days for Paris. After a brief overnight stay, we're taking the train to Lyon to board SS Catherine for a one week cruise down the Rhone to Avignon with Uniworld. It looks like a lot of fun!

10955519_10152996010579123_8708707345695157537_n.jpg?oh=5c657f9d733558d2456d75fa0bb67447&oe=554EA412

Stay warm, everyone!

Edited by jpalbny

Jeff, you have been uncharacteristically quiet for some time now. Have you given up cooking? Is all well?

I know JP is on the river some where and Terry is doing the alphabet trip, but where are you Jeff?

Hi Spinikins, thanks for enquiring .. :)

We've been back a few days now ... and trying very hard to not miss Singapore! Yes .... cooking .... last night was a very nice chicken tikka pizza ...... and it was really good!

To be honest I had hoped some time ago that Silversea were going through a lull and that one day we might go back and take the number of cruises we use to. I think Terry's pictures seem to have had the reverse effect on wifey and me than it has to others and made us realise that it's unlikely we'll return. I think because so many others are so effusive about particularly the food piccies - and those same pictures cause us many doubts - that we recognise we're a minority and that there isn't any real groundswell for them to improve. It isn't just about quality it is also about integrity. It's lovely to see Terry enjoy his trip to such and to such an exuberant degree, but some of the food isn't to me satisfactory and is concerning. It's several things caught our eye.

I think seeing those old plates with most of the gold worn off but not replaced. Many of them have a centre gold ring where 90%+ has worn off. This is not 6 star cruise line stuff. It isn't important by itself, it's merely a symptom of a wider malaise.

There was a lobster dish specifically described by Terry as Maine Lobster where it was several completely perfect identical sized cut discs of lobster followed by a picture of a bisque being poured from a rather nasty school dinner type jug over two identical discs of lobster.

Terry's Maine Lobster and bisque

I have never seen a lobster sliced so that it is the same thickness all the way along it's length with a perfectly circular round profile, that can be cut that thinly without a degree of crumbling. Lobster is not circular. You may not have heard of it, but I believe that was surimi lobster tails. This is an example, but many produce much better and convincing but this gives an idea ...

Surimi%20lobstertail.JPG

Basically this is reconstituted fish - just like crab sticks - and there is no lobster in it at all. To me ... and I can only be "reasonably certain" - the dish perfectly sliced and plated and called Maine lobster immediately looked to me like surimi lobster tails. I promise you - in a bisque or sauced many cannot tell, in the same way that most cannot tell Prosecco from Champagne it seemed. The Japanese use both surimi lobster tails and crab sticks as an honest part of their cuisine and never represent them as anything other than what they are. To me it is pretty clear .... but to call it specifically Maine Lobster seems to me a step too far ....

People seem not to be able to tell. Or it seems on one of the two rack of lamb pictures were in fact lamb chops ie no pink ends. Why call it rack of lamb when it is a couple of cheap looking lamb chops.

You then wonder what is really served as caviar as whilst most people genuinely believe they can tell real caviar from faux caviar - as it happens I enjoy faux and in taste tests most experts get it wrong. Why would they serve genuine caviar - a really costly item when they could pass faux off with no complaints.

There is the eggs benedict with what should be a parma type ham or perhaps smoke salmon but has what looks like one of those factory reformed German sausage type things with a rind. The rather overcooked dry looking beef "tornadoes" (sic) ...

Nothing is wrong as long as you serve up what you say but not much of it to me looks like the type of grub that would keep 'er indoors happy ......

I don't like over handled food. and pretentiously presented food, particularly when it is a part of a process intended to deceive people into thinking it is genuine "fine dining". I'm not impressed overly with ostentatious presentation. To me it's about integrity of ingredients, well cooked and prepared and neatly placed on a plain plate. If the food is genuinely good, let it speak for itself. I guess I prove it by eating street food.... To me it seems that many are really lulled by the presentation and don't seem to me so see what is actually on the plate. I have been quiet simply because I know my comments will get short shrift and be unpopular .... c'est la vie.

3DA0330A-DE94-4EBB-A035-14B640020AED.jpg

84A19B7D-ECE8-47A1-B4A9-68831E73A582.jpg

8D2A990E-240E-408E-8A35-AEA0F2E56CFC.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

i seemed to have opened Pandora's proverbial box AND on top of that, stirred the pot.

Glad you are well Jeff and still have opinions.;)

Sorry JP that I put you on the river prematurely. I guess you are still in the throes of the winter snowstorms.

Enjoy the day all.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I am concerned, anything and everything is welcome on the cooler thread - that is what it is all about.

Many of the usual suspects have been a bit absent lately - like Sophia, Jeff, and even little old me. Any comments re what is rearing it's ugly head - Silversea and others going completely inclusive? As a big Seabourn fan,I truly hope this will not happen - see Markham's recent post on Seabourn - and I guess Silversea aficionados feel the same.

Talking of Seabourn, we are taking our first cruise in August on the Odyssey after sailing with SS six times. The itinerary suits us but really we are intrigued as to what Seabourn can offer.

I am in contact with a regular Seabourn cruiser who loves the company. I will post after the cruise of our experience. :D

Schhh many of us had hoped that this thread had died.

We've seen enough cheap food and wine to last a lifetime.

I'm confused now Mr.L.. were you alluding to UkJ's general taste in food or to his blunt expose of Silversea menu descriptions?

Given that cruising is arguably something of a charade , the comment was explosively pregnant with potential for comment and instead did not even elicit a whimper..

tgh - the idea of this thread is essentially to be fairly light-hearted, and not get into possibly bitchy arguments: enough other threads for that. Some of us may have opinions which we do not air so as not to annoy or upset.

Fudge - see the Seabourn board re Silversea going all inclusive, with Markham's comments on his present cruise. Echoes my feelings about Seabourn exactly, and hope you will feel the same.

I for one miss Jeff's food pix (especially peas). Hope he resurfaces soon!

Gorgeous weather up here in Shropshire, bright sunshine but windy so slightly chilly but ideal walking weather. Looks like another day of rain and gloom tomorrow though.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. Off to the market now to get fresh veg and see our wonderful butcher.

Mary

Fair enough comment .. but the thread has been on life support right from the start and would have died quickly if not for UKJ's constant gardening.

UKJ morally owns the thread , and chose , perhaps, to exit a losing venture with a bang rather than a whimper.

The question posed by UKJ is simple enough... do Silver sea lie ... yea or nay.. :-)

Fair enough comment .. but the thread has been on life support right from the start and would have died quickly if not for UKJ's constant gardening.

UKJ morally owns the thread , and chose , perhaps, to exit a losing venture with a bang rather than a whimper.

The question posed by UKJ is simple enough... do Silver sea lie ... yea or nay.. :-)

Hi, to all ..... good to see some posts!

tgh, Appreciate your comments ... particularly your earlier votey smiley ..... ta ... muchly.

With respect to your response to Lux. which I chose to ignore. It is simply wasted effort isn't it. Everyone is different and unless someone has apparently it seems personal identity issues ie pretends to be someone they are not under two different historical CC identities or recommends businesses as though they are impartial - under both identities - but actually own it (and break CC TOS) - then I tend to be pretty good with all ... except rudeness that is. Lux knows exactly what I mean .... but I respect the TOS as much as some are energetic at having stuff deleted - I can and will therefore - for the time being - stop there .... If it continues I'll simply post links to a couple of historical threads without any comment for people to think about. It makes no sense as he does to waste a few minutes posting a nasty personal note pretending to speak for others as he did. He simply needs to get a grip - stop being fixated with me and my posts and ignore this thread and not participate - and boast elsewhere where he feels he has his audience doesn't he! Easy peasy.

This thread was indeed started by me but not owned by me but owned by all who contribute and it will ebb and flow as people participate or not. I would like it to be contentious but not offensive. If it goes quiet and interest evaporates - no probs.

To explain and try to justify .... I love learning. My who life is pretty much devoted to learning as I was booted out of school unceremoniously when I was 15. So where I think I do differ from many - and I understand and accept the difference is irritating to many others is because I have always been desperate to learn and have therefore always also felt you have nothing at all to learn from mixing with people that agree with you and hold the same views. Mixing with such people may be reassuring in consolidating one's feeling of being "right" about ones views and opinions but holds no learning opportunities. However the majority I think are in the opposite camp. They enjoy being with people that hold the similar or identical views - some do not like listening to opposing views - and this feels more reassuring and congenial. There's no wrong and no right. Just differences in people. I certainly mean to argue and challenge, but make a genuine effort not offend ... although I don't always succeed. One needs to also understand some do not like being confronted with an idea or opinion that may question what they have previously been content with and which they may have a lot of forward investment in.

I really see no problems with confronting the SS issues with opinions backed up by detailed argument. I am an ideas tart and have no embarrassment about being inconsistent if someone has a better opinion. I tend to test opinion by arguing and then because I am an ideas tart change my mind with absolutely no qualms. I have learned a lot from others on CC. One jumps to mind is the crew fund. Started off completely against it and listened to the alternative argument and realised my opinion was dumb and the opposite opinion better. The real thing for an interesting thread (that I aspire for .....) is to be a able to post even contentious views and have them debated. As well as that is less important things like food piccies .....

Anyway ..... there has been some comments about a lack of food and drink piccies and I have been very energetic on the catering front lately .... spent a day in court yesterday teaching a utility company a bit about the costs associated with crap service and as a result wifey deserved her favourite meal a bacon and chip sandwich with a pint of Rioja when we got back.

0B092141-89DF-446C-9BAF-0534D0D815FC.jpg

Smokey bacon, mushrooms and gouda toastie .... with a pint of Rioja ...

687AE00E-4BC1-467D-944F-E75C009151DF.jpg

Sticky chilli wings ... and rice ...

1DC030DE-B003-4310-852F-1C214477C020.jpg

08148B38-1D93-4C52-8004-0A25994A1713.jpg

The micro-brewery is doing well ....

0D3B60E2-E7D2-4972-A500-13242DBFC8FA.jpg

57354E92-2CC9-46DA-9CD6-2895CB77C202.jpg

Now that's what I am talking about!

Some pithy remarks, some debate, some food pictures and we are off.

Frankly I thought LUX was speaking tongue in cheek...or maybe he was serious, whatever, it reconstituted a thread.

Cruises are a lot of smoke and mirrors, after all, it is just a boat in the water.

Perception is everything. Remember the love boat???

I am ok with some fantasy and fun.

These times we live in are all too serious, somber and down right scary.

Just watch the news for two minutes.

Destruction of the most dastardly kind.

History being erased and somehow the horrific history being repeated in the name of some higher being.

Now that's what I am talking about!

Some pithy remarks, some debate, some food pictures and we are off.

Frankly I thought LUX was speaking tongue in cheek...or maybe he was serious, whatever, it reconstituted a thread.

Cruises are a lot of smoke and mirrors, after all, it is just a boat in the water.

Perception is everything. Remember the love boat???

I am ok with some fantasy and fun.

These times we live in are all too serious, somber and down right scary.

Just watch the news for two minutes.

Destruction of the most dastardly kind.

History being erased and somehow the horrific history being repeated in the name of some higher being.

You were right spin,

I knew it would awake Jeff and get the thread going again.

I do like the look of that bacon sandwich.

Business as usual then?

Glad to see you back on form, Jeff. Maybe you-know-who has acted as a catalyst, but speaking personally I can live without his snidey comments, and considerably-richer-than-yow posts. Practically the first post I put on received a putdown from his previous incarnation; maybe this has spoilt my appreciation of his wit and wisdom?

I have just been watching |(old lady's afternoon habit) Countdown with Rufus Hound. What a sweetheart.