Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Quite the musical family you belong to Jeff! Do you share in that ability? Sing? Play a musical instrument? The lights must be so enchanting in your new space. Yes please to the pictures! The pictures of Sydney look awesome! Your suite has a magical view!

Your daughter's comment made me giggle as well Sophia! It seems our childrens' views of us run through a cycle. When they are young (before they become impossible teenagers) we are almost godesses with our vast knowledge and power. During their teen years we become idiots to their minds. In their late 20s and into their early thirties they once again seem to recognize our wisdom and experience. However, when we get to a certain age, we become idiots again in their eyes. We become people who need some taking care of. HaHa!

Quite the musical family you belong to Jeff! Do you share in that ability? Sing? Play a musical instrument? The lights must be so enchanting in your new space. Yes please to the pictures! The pictures of Sydney look awesome! Your suite has a magical view!

I believe our Jeffers may be a dark horse Mysty.....he could very well be quite adept at the comb or spoons....pleas don't start him off though! :rolleyes::D

S:)

Your daughter's comment made me giggle as well Sophia! It seems our childrens' views of us run through a cycle. When they are young (before they become impossible teenagers) we are almost godesses with our vast knowledge and power. During their teen years we become idiots to their minds. In their late 20s and into their early thirties they once again seem to recognize our wisdom and experience. However, when we get to a certain age, we become idiots again in their eyes. We become people who need some taking care of. HaHa!

You are quite correct of course....as l reminded her with my parting comment..."I've got a forty minute drive back home, you've got a four hour flight....so message ME when you arrive" !!

You are quite correct of course....as l reminded her with my parting comment..."I've got a forty minute drive back home, you've got a four hour flight....so message ME when you arrive" !!

Perfect response S! :) Enjoy your glass of Alsace! And enjoy your upcoming cruise! I hope we get to cruise together at some point! I thoroughly enjoy your wit and brilliant sense of humour! :)

Good afternoon ladies ...

M, no musical talents at all. I use to play the guitar and I was so good, they made me sing instead. I was so good at that they kicked me out of the band.

The suite is really great, with a full kitchen in in and That balcony has seem some interesting people eat with us there .... you may recally my story earlier in the thread about Vlad The Impaler .. (Ashkanazy) ... and another night with a few other interesting people. It is great to half a balcony and a kitchen. And Circular Quay is magical.

Nice lunch today ...

300234C5-FC20-4178-B760-F65FED24AEFB.jpg

2432B49C-6FC0-41E4-AB30-027E98517B5D.jpg

26BF777B-AC38-4A04-B2A6-12D35F39A5C6.jpg

That lunch looks amazing! I will have to scan the thread for your story as I think I joined the party too late to have seen it. Circular Quay is absolutely magical! I did manage to lose Myster there though. My heart was in my throat until I found him back at the hotel. We had gotten separated as I ducked into a shop to look for gifts for the grandkids while he was busy taking pics with his Ipad. When I came out of the shop he was nowhere to be seen. I must have walked that damn Quay for 20 minutes searching for him. Finally one of the couple we were travelling with sent Myster an email from a WiFi spot and Myster responded that he had gone back to the hotel because he couldn't find us either. The logic of that absolutely escaped me! But I was so relieved to find him that I didn't make too much of a fuss. :)

He has ... but warn him to tighten the cap on the Snopake bottle before he shakes it next time ....

Jeff

He does frequently need to be reminded of things like that. The poor dear has his struggles. And the added stress of dealing with me seems to exacerbate the situation. I'll try to keep him on a tighter leash. :)

Jeff,

I think I remember you talking about horrible traffic around Stonehenge. We will be ending a cruise in Southampton next September, and then going to Bath. It looks like Stonehenge is on the route. Is it possible to avoid Stonehenge traffic when driving from Southampton to Bath? We probably would be going on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Would the crowds on a weekday be small enough to make a visit to Stonehenge tolerable? I will appreciate your insights!

Jeff,

I think I remember you talking about horrible traffic around Stonehenge. We will be ending a cruise in Southampton next September, and then going to Bath. It looks like Stonehenge is on the route. Is it possible to avoid Stonehenge traffic when driving from Southampton to Bath? We probably would be going on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Would the crowds on a weekday be small enough to make a visit to Stonehenge tolerable? I will appreciate your insights!

Hi,

You should be fine.

You are going at right angles to the traffic if you like. Traffic is worst when going from London towards the West Country ie Devon and Cornwall and back. You will be crossing that traffic rather than joining it. Your route will proably be on the A36. You needn't overly concern yourself about the traffic.

If you want any more suggestions or ideas just say.

Jeff

The lights must be so enchanting in your new space. Yes please to the pictures! The pictures of Sydney look awesome! Your suite has a magical view!

Did you notice wifey's classical feet in one of the piccies? :)

I only have my ipad for piccies at the moment as I haven't yet replaced my camera. So the lights can be programmed to change colour there are 13 or so different colours in each bulb and they can be programmed to change or fade or blend etc .... There are a few of them in the bushes and I have taken some of the colours from a single light on a single bush just to give the idea. They all blend at the same time so the whole area is the same at any given point. Rotten piccies but it gives some fo the main colours.

Jeff

ps... liked your drive.

8BD317BA-6698-4853-8138-CFA4E9C4E27D.jpg

F395952F-C1FA-40C7-98B4-16AFACD62014.jpg

32E3E496-F217-4C4C-9FB1-B25EB1D64EDE.jpg

24B193E5-EB9E-4ED5-995E-6A34C7704D3F.jpg87299C20-01D7-407D-84A1-343D5F8F1112.jpg

Hi,

You should be fine.

You are going at right angles to the traffic if you like. Traffic is worst when going from London towards the West Country ie Devon and Cornwall and back. You will be crossing that traffic rather than joining it. Your route will proably be on the A36. You needn't overly concern yourself about the traffic.

If you want any more suggestions or ideas just say.

Jeff

Thank you so much. I'd love any suggestions you have to offer. The man we are traveling with will be working in Southampton for at least a day, and then we will go to Bath before ending in London. These are first time visits for all of us, so I'd love to know what you suggest as "not to be missed". Of course, if you have hotels and restaurants to recommend, that would be wonderful!

Happy to .... if you could give a bit more precise timings and as much detail as you can, with any particular passions etc, I'll try and give some suggestions.

Also is it as much sights as possible packed in or is it more leisurely? Is it ticking things off or are you happier to dawdle and soak in atmosphere?

Jeff

WOW Jeff! Your lights look amazing! So very cool! :) And yes I did notice your wife's lovely feet! Very classical! What was your "ps liked your drive" about? Was that addressed to me? Were you taking about my front yard area now covered in river rock? On the topic of Sydney, have you dined at Cafe Sydney? We will hopefully be in town February 13-14 and I thought a Valentine dinner there would be wonderful. What do you think?

WOW Jeff! Your lights look amazing! So very cool! :) And yes I did notice your wife's lovely feet! Very classical! What was your "ps liked your drive" about? Was that addressed to me? Were you taking about my front yard area now covered in river rock? On the topic of Sydney, have you dined at Cafe Sydney? We will hopefully be in town February 13-14 and I thought a Valentine dinner there would be wonderful. What do you think?

M,

I haven't eaten there, but of course we overlooked it from the balcony.

To be honest Sydney is one of the most disappointing places we have ever been to eating wise. A combination of too high expectations that were disappointed, with very high prices and generally poor service. It meant that we felt generally we were spending far too much on far too little. We were at peak going twice a year for three or four weeks at a time, and in the end the 'stop over" ie Singapore replaced Sydney.

i would head across Botanic and go for one of the places along Finger Wharf at woolloomooloo. We use to lunch there a reasonable amount. There's a good steak place.

Another option is to take the Manly Ferry and eat in Manly. There is a fish and chip shop called the fish market ... but that may not be upmarket enough for you. Or perhaps the main fish market in Sydney, but the complaint amongst many Sydney people is that too much poor fish and seafood is imported and the best is exported. Give Bondi a complete miss in favour of Manly. Doyles on Watson's Bay is a nice ferry ride and a bit touristy but might be an option.

Jeff

...... are you spending a night in Sydney ie overnight in a hotel?

We will be overnight on the WC (if all works out). I checked the menu and it looked quite nice. Myster and I both enjoy Morton Bay Bugs and these appear on the menu. Good food and a relatively quiet romantic atmosphere would be nice. Even after 37 years, I do like romance. :)

On the topic of Stonehenge - we visited a few years back after our first trip to London, on our way to Southampton to board a cruise ship. We had "organized" a before-hours visit through English Heritage. The program is called "Stone Circle Access" and they allow small groups to visit before opening hours, and during these times they take down the ropes and let you walk among the stones. It's quiet, relaxed, and very cool to do that.

DSC_6966.JPGP1030566.JPG

In Sydney, can second the recommendation for the Manly Ferry. We have cruise friends who live outside of Sydney and they met us, took us on the ferry, and we had fish and chips outside, while sitting on the seawall overlooking the ocean. Great times!

JP, what an awesome experience and beautiful pictures! We visited during regular hours. It wasn't too crowded and we enjoyed it. But your freedom of access to the stones is amazing. I really wanted to touch one when we were there but of course, that was a no no. I was sure I would have felt some energy there. :)

Jeff, your pictures of lunch inspired me to cook pork tonight. I hope you had a lovely evening out under the canopy, sipping wine and enjoying the lights!

Dinner tonight at Weinstube Ostenhügel was an old standby, a favorite that we've adapted from a restaurant meal we had probably 15 years ago. That restaurant took a French-cut veal loin chop and butterflied it, pounded it thin, and then breaded and fried it before serving it over a bed of spring mix, covered with cherry tomatoes and vinaigrette dressing. The veal chop tastes like Weiner Schnitzel...

We have made various adaptations over the years, but the best change I've come up with is to substitute arugula for the spring mix. The arugula leaves can stand up to the heat of slapping a pan-fried slab of meat on top without wilting away, and their peppery flavor goes well with the meat. I almost always substitute a pork chop for the veal, because veal loin chops are ludicrously expensive. But the tomatoes, with a nice vinaigrette, are the constant that really makes this dish.

The simple vinaigrette tonight was made by cutting and salting the tomatoes, with a splash of balsamic, for 15-20 minutes while the meat cooked. If they sit that long, it's enough time for a little juice to run out. Whisk the juice with olive oil, pour over the finished dish, and that's it.

We enjoyed this immensely with a bottle of California Gewürztraminer. The spiciness of the full-bodied wine went perfectly with the peppery arugula and the nice crispy-browned pork chop. Wow, I love this recipe!

upload_-1.jpg