Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

"Leisurely, dawdle, and soak up atmosphere" sounds wonderful. We will be in Southampton Sept. 6-7, 2016, then Bath for 1 or 2 days, and London for 2-3 days. Thank you for sharing your insights!

M

Edited by brumagin1

On the topic of Stonehenge - we visited a few years back after our first trip to London, on our way to Southampton to board a cruise ship. We had "organized" a before-hours visit through English Heritage. The program is called "Stone Circle Access" and they allow small groups to visit before opening hours, and during these times they take down the ropes and let you walk among the stones. It's quiet, relaxed, and very cool to do that.

DSC_6966.JPGP1030566.JPG

Thank you very much, JP. I will definitely check out English Heritage!

M

And JP, I love your description of this beautiful meal. I swear I could actually taste it and it was delicious! And I'm very sure your Stonehenge visit was worth it. I really just ached to touch one stone. :)

To be honest Sydney is one of the most disappointing places we have ever been to eating wise. A combination of too high expectations that were disappointed, with very high prices and generally poor service. It meant that we felt generally we were spending far too much on far too little. We were at peak going twice a year for three or four weeks at a time, and in the end the 'stop over" ie Singapore replaced Sydney. Jeff

Good to see Jeff's wonderful posts/pictures on Sydney, his wife, food, etc. While there early last year for our first visit to Australia, our time was limited in this great city. We were more focused on sights/activities than on dining/food there. This included super loving the Opera House, how it was built, seeing a live opera performed there, etc. Plus, doing a climb all of the way to the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, 404' above the water. Yes, got it done!! Fun and exciting!! Have to go back to test more in Sydney for food, other sights, etc. Below are a few of my favorites pictures from Sydney to bring back nice memories for others who have been there or to preview for those planning upcoming trips. More from Sydney and Australia on the full live/blog connected below.

Continue to be fairly busy on work and other activities. Sorry!! This included doing an official tour at a major Ohio prison near Mansfield yesterday. About 2800 prisoners there. It is located right next the older, historic prison that was used as the filming location for the famed "Shawshank Redemption" movie. It operated as a prison from 1896 to 1990. Yes, the Warden did allow me to be released on good behavior and be able to return home. That was the good news!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 115,535 views for this posting.

Here one of my favorite samples from Sidney the famed Opera House enjoying bright sunshine with its spectacular harbor location.:

GBRLizIslanReef_zps0ee5c36b.jpg

Here is a one of many Sidney views, including from the Rocks historic area with the Four Seasons hotel shown in the background where we stayed for one night before boarding our cruise ship.:

GBRLizIslanReef10_zps285b8b38.jpg

Here is a JetBoat going under the famed bridge with Luna Park showing in the background. At night, Luna Park is lighted up so wonderfully. It was great to see this park with all of its lights from the top of the bridge during my walk of that tall and dramatic Sydney icon.:

SidneyTwo8_zps71a6f082.jpg

As we walked to the Opera House around Circular Quay, here is a fun, costumed character to promote the Captain Cook tour ship (that we took on Jan. 19) plus an interesting local “character” who was talking with him. Great people in Australia. Fun and enjoying life!!:

SidneyTwo3_zpsbeb816ed.jpg

On our last afternoon in Sydney, we did a nice walking tour with great details, tips and insights about this town and its interesting history. Our guide was from the “Free Tour” group that works for tips. Our guide is a teacher who has traveled lots, was excellent in his Sydney/Aussie knowledge and fun, too!! It started at 2:30 pm at their City Hall. It included seeing the Queen Victoria Building (now a three-level shopping area), Westfield Tower, St. Mary’s Cathedral, Hyde Park, plus other sights in this sprawling central business district. Below is one of visual examples to show how these part of the Sydney downtown mixes older, classical buildings from their native sandstone, plus soaring new skyscrapers with innovative designs, etc.:

SydneyDepartSolstice7_zps59932ab2.jpg

Here is a view of me on the Sydney Harbour Bridge with a little night and light rain action. You can see the Opera House, Solstice and Sydney skyline in the background.:

SidneyTwoBridge_zps5056ef6c.jpg

Hi everyone - I have been AWOL for a couple of weeks - trying unsuccessfully to grow the beard! - so a lot has been going on here.

Sophia - is your visit to Istanbul prior to a cruise?

Jeff - (oops I typed Jess by mistake there) I have just received SB's latest mag/promotion thingy, with a bit in about Singapore. No doubt you already know and love/hate it, but there is a piece about food, recommending very highly New Ubin Seafood, on the ground floor of Sin Ming Industrial Estate. (ubinseafood.com).

Our last stay in Sydney was near the fairground on the north shore, with the wonderful views of the bridge and Opera House. We did feel we had some great meals there, and also remember fish and chips after getting off the Manly ferry.

Regards to everyone,

Lola

Hi JP,

That meal looks lovely ....schnitzel is one of my favourite meals, but lately because I only have to look at food now to gain a few pound, it is a pleasure I forgo making at home and frying in favour of some of the great pre-breaded chicken in breadcrumb or turkey in breadcrumb I can airfry. When I cook schnitzel in olive oil and butter it always seems to dissapear into the crumb and I guess in jefflogicland the tradeoff comes down to frying in oil and butter or an extra half bottle and the wine wins. That is a lovely plate .... and forgive me being picky but I really like that you use plain white plates and that you don't pick around with it. You plate it simply and elegently and honestly and if the food is good as yours is then let the food speak for itself and that is what you always seem to do with your food.

No it was Iced water in La Bistro or whatever the Chinese equivalent was yesterday. I'm going to have a slightly extended alcohol free period this time to let the old structure lose a bit of bulk and wifey really wants to do the same. I really miss my wine. I really appreciate wifey being concerned that she looks nice for me and is weight savvy just as I try to be. She makes a lot of sacrifices. When I looked at the pictures I posted of her I'm reminded that she worked out when we first met that I hate women in makeup and cosmetics and perfumes and scents and earings and jewelery (except her ring ... which I bought for her in Vienna by the way .. she waited a long time for a ring ....) etc - and I like and that she has never worn them and looks natural and so what you see is what she is and I feel I'm lucky she tries so hard in exactly the same way she did 46 years or so ago when we first met ... People that know that they are lucky are genuinely lucky aren't they JP. She has an easier job as she buys my clothes for me and merely has to remind me to tuck my shirt in and I'm "ready to go". :)

I've added some netting to the ceiling of the area to reduce the glare from over head sun and it also makes the place feel more like a restaurant area than it was .. and light is lovelier and softer. The wall to the left retains a very steep bank with trees and there is nothing really between that bank and Salisbury Plain. We get deer up there and I guess they will drop by to have a look.

E8A07EEE-51D6-4EC6-9C59-816AD2B2951E.jpg

The area is being used for hours during the day by me. It gives wifey and I some time in seperate rooms which we all need particularly as we have been spending all day and every day together. I've put a wifi repeater there, installed Plex on my NAS so I can stream music, and it means I can stream my music to my little Sony bluetooth whilst I read and ponder. It stops me gravitating to the lounge and putting the TV on. Also because it is accessd from the kitchen and utilities side of the house everything is so easy for eating and drinking. The icemaker is there, so is the coffee machine and even my pizza oven. It is so large and well covered and sheltered we can leave stuff out there as theough it were simpyl a room within the house. I really love sitting there when it is stormy or raining, it is magical. I'm really please with it overall.

Everything you do JP tells me that you should really be in Europe. The cars, the food, the trips ...... the places you eat, what you eat and drink. It is time for you and Chris to move to the place where clearly your heart lives.

On that subject I 'm sort of hoping you and Chris make your way to The Swiss House when you get to Vienna next year. You will notice the ashtray ..:)

When you wound your way down the A303, you went within a mile of our main home and you could have popped by .... I remember and it doesn't seem so long ago there was no one guarding Stonehenge and it was always open. I do fully understand the draw it has to visitors and perhaps because we pass it so often on our way down to our beach house but it seems to me to be simply a place to tick off.

The stones aren't as they were originally and were resited and rearranged realtively recently and I think people think of them as being much older than they are. They are of course old ie around 4.5k years old ... but the pyramids are old and by comparison a real engineering feat and impressive. I think Stonehenge really in my mind shows how uncultured and backward we were compared to say Egyption culture at the same time. As a tourist attraction they are really not close to anything else worthy of a detour and I guess although I will not be believed I feel that one almost gets as much from simply seeing a programme or looking at pictures. At least you could go to them but most stand behind a rope and stare at them. And for some reason or other it seems to rain for most of the time at Stonehenge.

What about your visit to Europe on the river cruise are you most looking forward to?

Hi everyone - I have been AWOL for a couple of weeks - trying unsuccessfully to grow the beard! - so a lot has been going on here.

Jeff - (oops I typed Jess by mistake there) I have just received SB's latest mag/promotion thingy, with a bit in about Singapore. No doubt you already know and love/hate it, but there is a piece about food, recommending very highly New Ubin Seafood, on the ground floor of Sin Ming Industrial Estate. (ubinseafood.com).

Our last stay in Sydney was near the fairground on the north shore, with the wonderful views of the bridge and Opera House. We did feel we had some great meals there, and also remember fish and chips after getting off the Manly ferry.

Regards to everyone,

Lola

Hello Lola,

Manly is the place to head for for fish and chips and a wander. It is a bit like Southend in the 50's. Here is a picture of wifey on the Manly ferry and a couple of gobshots of different meals of wifey in the Manly Fish Market Cafe ... and as you can see we have our favourite table there ... and why is it that she always get's a bigger portion of fish than me and more wine ...? And a piccy of Manly .. And another gobshot of her eating at Finger Wharf on Wolloomooloo ...

P1010526.jpg

P1010446.jpg

P1010469.jpg

P1010359.jpg

P1010358.jpg

P1010506.jpg

It's funny there's been a lot in stuff sent out about Singapore, I guess it's all about the 50th anniversary with National Day. The same places including Ubin get mentioned by everyone so it is marketing at play.

Yesterday BA sent out their monthly mag with an article written by their Singapore based marketing manager talking about their perfect day. They talked about starting the day walking around Marina Bay but then said specificically "join the locals for lunch at Gluttons Bay at 12:30". The only problem is that it isn't really a place for locals it is really intended to be a singlke stop for tourists .... and it doesn't start to open until 5pm. It is completely shut at lunch time with nothing open.

I am really weary fo reading travel stuff written by writers who are clearly google armchair travellers.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

"Leisurely, dawdle, and soak up atmosphere" sounds wonderful. We will be in Southampton Sept. 6-7, 2016, then Bath for 1 or 2 days, and London for 2-3 days. Thank you for sharing your insights!

M

A starter.

If you'd like a completely different idea and would like something that errs on the side of interesting rather than expensive and luxurious.

If your time allows and if you would like to add a bit more to your trip may I suggest ... a day around the New Forest might be of interest - particlularly Bucklers Hard http://www.bucklershard.co.uk/ ... with lunch and possibly your overnight stay at the Master Builders (http://www.themasterbuilders.co.uk/) although there are other places in the Forest. A night in the bar when the village is closed to visitors is a wonderful experience for a really lovely atmosphere. You can also visit Beaulieu which is nearby. (http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/beaulieu/index)

Bucklers Hard is a hamlet situated on the banks of the Beaulieu River in the English county of Hampshire. With its Georgian cottages running down to the river, Bucklers Hard is part of the 9,000 acre (36 km²) Beaulieu Estate. The hamlet is located some 2½ miles (4 km) south of the village of Beaulieu.

The hamlet, originally called Montagu Town, was built by the second Duke of Montagu, and was intended to be a free port for trade with the West Indies.

Bucklers Hard was the birthplace of many British naval vessels, including many of Admiral Nelson's fleet, using the timber of the New Forest. The Hard, under the control of Master shipbuilder Henry Adams was responsible for building many famous ships during the late 18th century and early 19th centuries. These included HMS Euryalus, HMS Swiftsure and HMS Agamemnon, all of which fought at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.

It is a shortish taxi ride to Southampton and it's a place I've taken American friends for lunch who were besotted.

Terry,

Lovely pictures ....

The picture in the background of the pirates selling cruises at the Ferry Terminal on Circular Quay is the block we stay ... and the Lowenbrau sign towards your hotel is the place in The Rocks we wander to and use to go to for a Bratty and Paulaner. There is a nice cake shop a few doors away! ;)

Nice piccies.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Regards to everyone,

Lola

Hi Lola! Sorry the beard thing isn't working out for you! Unfortunately mine seems to be growing in just fine. More's the pity! Have a great day!

My goodness Jeff, you have been a very busy poster this morning! Your fingers must be worn down to nubs! :) Your gazebo area is awesome! The netting was a brilliant idea! Really softens the look! The pictures of your wife enjoying Sydney are wonderful! And as you say, she really does not need paint and accoutrements for her beauty to shine! The overwhelming support for the Manly Fish and Chips is making me re-think the Cafe Sydney. And nice pics Terry!

M,

Whateve you do think very carefully before changing your plans due to anything you read or see here .... we're all different. If you are looking for something a bit more classy and formal then stay on the current plan. My hankering on a WC would be to have something a bit more informal and scruffier.

The Fish Cafe in Manly is next door to a fishmonger so you will get all you want and it'll be fresh. By UK standards everything in Sydney is expensive but that's a given.

You may want to think of Doyles on Watsons Bay as an alternative. It is just past Manly and a different ferry, but the restuarant is just off the end of the jetty. It is a bit more restauranty than the Manly Cafe, but there isn't anything more to do after the meal other than take the ferry back ... whereas you can go to the hotel (Oz for Pub) on the right hand side of the piccy I showed earlier fro a beer.

If you go to Watson Bay Doyle's don't make the mistake of going to the self service Doyles on the jetty ie wharf. It is obviously cheaper than the restaurant and the fish will be as good but it ain't for a classy lady and her Mister ... They even have the rich people landing in the seaplanes At Watson Bay for lunch, and it is good but it is also Sydney service ....

I have added some piccies of the restaurant, the cafe and a gobshot of wifey eating at the restaurant at her favourite beach table. (Yes they are frozen chips ... but everwhere is ...)

Don't eat at Doyles at Circular Quay beside where the ship docks ... it is nowhere near as good.

Jeff

P1000515.jpg

P1000502.jpg

P1000506.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Nice pics of Doyles. Looks like a fun place!

Sorry to hear that you are still off the wine. It's making me jittery! Though the calories do add up... Enough about that!

Chris and I have wondered at times whether we fit better in Europe. We love traveling there, and soak up the local culture and ambience when we are there, but living there might be different. I don't know that any place is perfect.

Traveling has allowed us to bring parts of foreign culture home with us to enjoy, which is almost as good.

For one thing, our jobs aren't as portable as some others - like my little brother, for example... He's a PhD Environmental Engineer who got an offer to teach at a University in Denmark for 3 years. So he and his wife and daughter are halfway through that time and loving it.

The American and European post-graduate medical training programs don't recognize each other so it wouldn't be as easy for us to move and work in Europe - though a temporary assignment might be a great experience. Interestingly, Australia and New Zealand will recognize our American training, and they offer 6-18 month temporary positions all the time. We have been tempted!

Well, off to work. Just got confirmation for my Audi factory tour in a couple of weeks. We asked to tour the "special" factory where they make the RS models, instead of the regular one. :D

Thanks so much Jeff for taking the time to post your great suggestions! To be fair, Myster would probably prefer one of your options over mine. :) He is really not into "pomp and circumstance". I'll give him the choice and we'll see what happens. :) I think a few of the "formal nights" on the cruise will be just about his limit. And I really don't want to push those limits if I don't have to. He might resort to the snopake solution.

Thanks so much Jeff for taking the time to post your great suggestions! To be fair, Myster would probably prefer one of your options over mine. :) He is really not into "pomp and circumstance". I'll give him the choice and we'll see what happens. :) I think a few of the "formal nights" on the cruise will be just about his limit. And I really don't want to push those limits if I don't have to. He might resort to the snopake solution.

Snopake solution... LOL!

If I were doing a WC (which I doubt we'll ever have the time to do until we're too old to do it), I think I'd want to get off the boat for informal dining rather than formal sit-down dining. My guess would be that the WC is full of more formal options and I'd want a break from that. But I can't say this from firsthand experience... Oh well!

Terry, Lovely pictures .... The picture in the background of the pirates selling cruises at the Ferry Terminal on Circular Quay is the block we stay ... and the Lowenbrau sign towards your hotel is the place in The Rocks we wander to and use to go to for a Bratty and Paulaner. There is a nice cake shop a few doors away! Nice piccies. Jeff

mysty: My goodness Jeff' date=' you have been a very busy poster this morning! Your fingers must be worn down to nubs! Your gazebo area is awesome! The pictures of your wife enjoying Sydney are wonderful! And as you say, she really does not need paint and accoutrements for her beauty to shine! [b']And nice pics Terry! [/b]

Appreciate the added pictures and details from Jeff on Sydney, etc.

Yes, there are great sights and views all around in Sydney. It is a photographer’s dream city!! BUT, the real credit for my "lovely pictures" from there goes to Sydney itself. There is so much fun and interesting there. We were glad to stay for the one night at the Four Seasons as it is ideally close to the Circular Quay. Jeff's location was also wonderful as you are "right there" in the middle of so much exciting activities and key sights. Below are a few more of my visuals from this great city.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 115,596 views for this posting.

As we were walking back to our docked ship, here is an interesting White Ibis (I think that is the bird’s name) with its unique long beak. Plus, you can see the ship and harbor area/activity shown in the background:

SidneyTwo17_zpsf46ea52e.jpg

As mentioned earlier, we really enjoyed exploring outside and inside the Sydney Opera House complex, learning how it was designed and built, etc. Outside of the building, we were able to see and feel these tiles that were special made in Sweden. These roof tiles are actually made of two different tone on outside of Opera House roof. If these tiles were pure white, it would be too bright and glaring. :

SidneyTwoA1_zps2d23dc8e.jpg

Here is our Opera House guide giving us added background in main entrance lobby of the Joan Sutherland Theatre. Lots of wood on many of the inside surfaces of this structure. High, soaring ceilings here. We enjoyed a late morning performance of Mozart's The Magic Flute. They did not allow pictures during this opera performance. Wish I could have taken pictures as the cast, costumes, staging and sets as these were beyond great. Really first-rate, innovative and so very professional!! Plus, done in English, too!! That helps.:

SidneyTwoA2_zps5221d8b5.jpg

From our balcony on the port side of the ship while overnight in Sydney, we had great and up-close views of the Bridge and Rocks area. Plus, after our first breakfast there, here are views of an Aussie friend paying a visit to our dining table to help "clean up"!! Fun!!:

SydneyDepartSolstice22_zps7cb66258.jpg

SydneyDepartSolstice18_zpse98e33ec.jpg

Here is one of our final samplings of this famed Sydney Harbour Bridge. Both the Opera House and this bridge are the two biggie “icons” for Sydney. To be able to explore, visit and experience each of these “up-close and personal” and in-depth was one of our best memories for visiting this town. Both of these were dramatic, untested designs by people without much of a track record for doing big projects. But each one worked out exceptionally well. Neither are average, boring, bland and/or the same-old looks you can see in every other town in the world. That daring is part of what makes Sydney so special!!:

SydneyDepartSolstice2_zpsa8668ca6.jpg

Chris and I have wondered at times whether we fit better in Europe. We love traveling there, and soak up the local culture and ambience when we are there, but living there might be different. I don't know that any place is perfect. Traveling has allowed us to bring parts of foreign culture home with us to enjoy, which is almost as good. For one thing, our jobs aren't as portable as some others - like my little brother, for example... He's a PhD Environmental Engineer who got an offer to teach at a University in Denmark for 3 years. So he and his wife and daughter are halfway through that time and loving it. The American and European post-graduate medical training programs don't recognize each other so it wouldn't be as easy for us to move and work in Europe - though a temporary assignment might be a great experience. Interestingly, Australia and New Zealand will recognize our American training, and they offer 6-18 month temporary positions all the time. We have been tempted!

Just got confirmation for my Audi factory tour in a couple of weeks. We asked to tour the "special" factory where they make the RS models, instead of the regular one. :D

Lots of super great info and background from J.P. Want many pictures shared from your German trip, Audi tour, etc. Have super loved Copenhagen from our two visits there. Is you brother teaching in that city or in another part of wonderful Denmark?

YES, you definitely should consider doing some sort of work exchange that would get you in Australia and/or New Zealand. Both are amazing countries with very wonderful people, sights, etc. Have you and your lovely wife traveled there?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 202,851 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

M

Pleased to help if I can ....

You must remember that even when eating in-suite you will recall from earlier pictures we were content with sandwiches rather than a meal. We don't eat as well on board as at home (wifey's view) so I taught them how to make sandwiches the way we like them with very precise instructions ..... It tookthem several goes to get the eggy mayo sandwiches right! Hence we enjoy informal!

Doyle's you will like!

Today we ate in Zorba's Taverna ... no wine ... just water ... and a lot of rain ... but no broken Greek plates!

Jeff

E44E5018-0924-4455-9E91-741D78A3EB54.jpg

3E7FC7A6-CCE1-4CD7-81A7-FDE168D4C6F4.jpg

5C1D9ABB-6E88-4927-B018-60216F086557.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Snopake solution... LOL!

If I were doing a WC (which I doubt we'll ever have the time to do until we're too old to do it), I think I'd want to get off the boat for informal dining rather than formal sit-down dining. My guess would be that the WC is full of more formal options and I'd want a break from that. But I can't say this from firsthand experience... Oh well!

JP, this will be our once-in-a-lifetime trip! And we want to do it while we still can. So many of our friends have started to develop health issues and we are not immune to the vagaries of declining health. Carpe Diem and all that! :)

JP, this will be our once-in-a-lifetime trip! And we want to do it while we still can. So many of our friends have started to develop health issues and we are not immune to the vagaries of declining health. Carpe Diem and all that! :)

Quite Right M,

And I know you are getting a bit forgetful on the man front ... you just can't remember where you left him can you .... so whatever you do don't leave him dozing on the ferry back from Doyle's .....

DE3A5DD5-07FE-41B1-854D-92884C742878.jpg

Jeff, I did tell Myster about your sandwiches in suite to avoid formal night and he was very much taken with the idea! I am hoping I can convince the lad to don his Sunday best for at least one formal night per segment. A wee bit selfish of me since I am intending on packing my spiffy duds and I want to get the chance to wear them. He will probably put his foot down after the second segment though. :) I may be forced to pick up a stray traveller in order to enjoy the MDR on formal nights. I'll need to practice my "come hither" look. :) Your Zorba's Taverna meal looks delish! So glad you didn't break the plates. It's difficult to get all the slivers of china off the floor.

A starter.

If you'd like a completely different idea and would like something that errs on the side of interesting rather than expensive and luxurious.

If your time allows and if you would like to add a bit more to your trip may I suggest ... a day around the New Forest might be of interest - particlularly Bucklers Hard http://www.bucklershard.co.uk/ ... with lunch and possibly your overnight stay at the Master Builders (http://www.themasterbuilders.co.uk/) although there are other places in the Forest. A night in the bar when the village is closed to visitors is a wonderful experience for a really lovely atmosphere. You can also visit Beaulieu which is nearby. (http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/beaulieu/index)

Bucklers Hard is a hamlet situated on the banks of the Beaulieu River in the English county of Hampshire. With its Georgian cottages running down to the river, Bucklers Hard is part of the 9,000 acre (36 km²) Beaulieu Estate. The hamlet is located some 2½ miles (4 km) south of the village of Beaulieu.

The hamlet, originally called Montagu Town, was built by the second Duke of Montagu, and was intended to be a free port for trade with the West Indies.

Bucklers Hard was the birthplace of many British naval vessels, including many of Admiral Nelson's fleet, using the timber of the New Forest. The Hard, under the control of Master shipbuilder Henry Adams was responsible for building many famous ships during the late 18th century and early 19th centuries. These included HMS Euryalus, HMS Swiftsure and HMS Agamemnon, all of which fought at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.

It is a shortish taxi ride to Southampton and it's a place I've taken American friends for lunch who were besotted.

Wonderful suggestion! We will definitely look into this area. Thank you.

Love the look of your netting!!!