Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Hi Tery,

To be clear and to avoid doubt ... I didn't mean to annoy! :) In a way ... to make my point does not your last two pictures prove my point? I know you have picked pictures from your collection to make your point and to impress, but isn't Barceloneta Beach one of the ghastliest and least scenic beaches you have ever seen in Europe? Be honest ........;) Anyway ... I don't think JP has forgiven me yet for raising the question. I meant well! :(

M. Absolutely the right approach ...

You have a great camera, but I'd only say that unless you ALWAYS have your camera with you which an expensive ultra-compact ALWAYS gives you, on your WC quite a lot of the trivial (ie most important stuff) will not get recorded. Back packs and stuff help, but there is nothing better than a really good camera in the pocket at ALL times. Just think of the times when the camera MIGHT not be with you. Every meal? Just wandering aimlessly around the ship? Brerakfast? You will understand it when I say that if you have any doubt ... well need I say more.

But there I go again, interfering and questioning the detail for people that haven't asked for my bleedin' opinion ..... I am just bleedin' irritatin' :D

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Jeff I failed again to take pix of food related stalls at the Shrewsbury Flower Show but it did rain nearly all day yesterday. We decided around noon to walk down to the show - good decision - donned in raingear we survived and there weren't too many people around and the exhibits were easy to see. Amazing plants and flowers etc. Not as many vegetables as I remember from visits in my teens in the late 60's (arrggghh) but my prime reason for going then was to watch the showjumping with the likes of Harvey Smith and the Barker brothers!

The food exhibitors were limited, a garlic stall, some cakes and pastries and bread, a sausage stall and a large exhibit which took up half a marquee on honey bees.

The weather today is sunny but chilly and no doubt the place will be mobbed with the normal Saturday attendees and the folks from yesterday who gave it a miss. We will steer well clear!

Mary

It drizzled and was actually foggy here yesterday - horrible; but today sunny and just warm enough. Hope the same for you, Mary.

Barcelona - we have made short visits here often over many years. To my mind, it merits two or three days seeing the sights, and the inside of the Sagrada Famila is very special. I would try not to go in July or August; heat and tourists. Ideal for a couple of days before or after a cruise, to my mind. Look at the website of the Casa Fuster, it gets mixed reports on Tripadvisor etc. but is a beautiful old building, very atmospheric. We had a lovely lunch there a year ago, and personally found the staff charming. The Ramblas area is overrated, and you do need to be careful of your possessions, sadly - this was not so many years ago. Yes, the beach is not wonderful, but anyone who has a few extra days should visit the Costa Brava, to the smaller villages north of Barcelona - again out of high season, for some lovely coves and beaches. Just a few random thoughts!

Lola

Hi Tery,

To be clear and to avoid doubt ... I didn't mean to annoy! :) In a way ... to make my point does not your last two pictures prove my point? I know you have picked pictures from your collection to make your point and to impress, but isn't Barceloneta Beach one of the ghastliest and least scenic beaches you have ever seen in Europe? Be honest ........;) Anyway ... I don't think JP has forgiven me yet for raising the question. I meant well! :(

M. Absolutely the right approach ...

You have a great camera, but I'd only say that unless you ALWAYS have your camera with you which an expensive ultra-compact ALWAYS gives you, on your WC quite a lot of the trivial (ie most important stuff) will not get recorded. Back packs and stuff help, but there is nothing better than a really good camera in the pocket at ALL times. Just think of the times when the camera MIGHT not be with you. Every meal? Just wandering aimlessly around the ship? Brerakfast? You will understand it when I say that if you have any doubt ... well need I say more.

But there I go again, interfering and questioning the detail for people that haven't asked for my bleedin' opinion ..... I am just bleedin' irritatin' :D

Jeff

You are not irritating! You are being helpful! And of course, once again, you are right! I had not considered the unexpected joys we might stumble across while "Old Betsy" is stashed away in the backpack in the stateroom. You have made an excellent point and I now must reconsider! You see...you're not being irritating...you are being helpful! :) And thank you for that!

You are not irritating! You are being helpful! And of course, once again, you are right! I had not considered the unexpected joys we might stumble across while "Old Betsy" is stashed away in the backpack in the stateroom. You have made an excellent point and I now must reconsider! You see...you're not being irritating...you are being helpful! :) And thank you for that!

.......:D.......and what about dinner each and every evening? You might not want to take Old Betsy with you ... and even if you did ... every evening? .... and you observe how everyone straightens their back as soon as Old Betsyis eased out of your backpack compared with a discrete camera you slip out unobtrusively from your evening bag or during the day your trouser pocket. The thing is a small camera is with you all of the time. You are never without it. You take it with you everywhere you go ... and you simply click. Old Betsy just for special occaisions and the camera changes people's reactions. You are only getting one shot at that WC. I don't want you to get back and wish you'd taken a your daily piccy of breakfast or lunch or dinner or that moment by the bar when hubby falls off his perch ... so you could remember everything. And what about taking natural pictures of people off ship? Big cameras change people. And another thing .... these new cameras give the impression that they are thinking for you and understand exactly what you are trying to do. There functions on fully automatic are pretty breathtaking. Old Betsy for faffing around with Arty Farty and Little Cam for perfect memories of EVERYTHING.

Nuff said! :p

Lola, yes I agree with your Barcelona comments. The Ramblas issue has got much worst since immigrants have taken over more of the scam trade with violence creeping in. And I think my point is that there is the world of difference between a European viewpoint of making a single visit for a weekend amongst all the others they do compared to an American's investment. It is my instinct that the majority of visitors will see the Ramblas, Cathedral, and market ... but would you go to any a second time? Would you make a trip all the way from the US? So many places in Europe we return to ... Barcelona isn't one.

JP's really quiet ... I've irritated him! :(

Mary, I'm thinking thin at the moment so I'm pleased you didn't take piccies to tempt me. Today we're having a whole pork fillet in bbq sauce and some stir fry and Jasmine Hom Mali rice outside in Jeff's Thai Restaurant. I might even add some peanuts to the stirfry to satisfy Terry who likes his nuts.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Further thinking on places one should visit - we have been to quite a few around the world, and one I would recommend heartily to those who are still able to get in and out of Zodiac craft is the Antarctic, unless the thought of all those icebergs and penguins seems boring. We loved it, but I could not now climb into the landing craft easily, so glad we did it when fit enough.

We have no wish to visit Japan, I have no idea why, but have been to China, India, Oz, NZ, USA (only a bit) Canada etc. Would love to go back to Canada to see more, but only if travelling business class of course. Have seen most of Europe, not all in depth, so now we are 'getting on' we tend to do lazy cruises with short flights. There is honestly nowhere I feel the need to visit for the first time before I pop my clogs. Still love tiny French and Italian ports, even if we have been many times before. Also prefer places where we can understand and talk, which is English or French.

I guess we are getting a bit boring and sated now, and appreciate good food and wine even more than ever, and walking and climbing less than ever.

Lola

Hello Everyone!

Lovely to see the cooler so busy...I'm trying hard to catch up!

Lola....yes, I'm flying into Istanbul in October to join the Spirit, nine day voyage to Athens. Really looking forward to it.

Very brave of you Mary to tackle the salop show in the rain....l also loved the showjumping.....and the exhibits are always good.

Interesting to read all about the various travels....1971 when I was in Sydney doing weekly cruises to the South Pacific Islands on board Shaw Saville line. I guess the whole area has changed over the years...ironically, I have no wish to return but it's fun seeing it now...and l won't go into detail about many good nights spent in Kings Cross ;)

Sophia :)

All good, Jeff. You'll have to try harder if you want to irritate me. Mysty was right; I "slept in" which for us is anything after 6AM.

Have to catch up with all of the details in the past posts but suffice it to say that posting your personal opinion about topics should never be offensive. Offering advice from one's personal perspective is great. That's what CC is all about! Posting nasty personal comments about someone because they have a different opinion (like what tends to happen on some of the other threads) is offensive. I never saw anything in the comments that said, "Wow, that JP... What an idiot for wanting to go to Barcelona..."

Back to the topic of Barcelona after I go cook a Kaiserschmarrn for breakfast... And a few more espressos!

Edited by jpalbny

Hello Everyone!

Lovely to see the cooler so busy...I'm trying hard to catch up!

Lola....yes, I'm flying into Istanbul in October to join the Spirit, nine day voyage to Athens. Really looking forward to it.

Very brave of you Mary to tackle the salop show in the rain....l also loved the showjumping.....and the exhibits are always good.

Interesting to read all about the various travels....1971 when I was in Sydney doing weekly cruises to the South Pacific Islands on board Shaw Saville line. I guess the whole area has changed over the years...ironically, I have no wish to return but it's fun seeing it now...and l won't go into detail about many good nights spent in Kings Cross ;)

Sophia :)

Istanbul to Athens .... an absolute dream pairing. So envious!

Kings Cross has changed ........ no where for a sophisticated lady these days ..

Jeff

With peanuts too! :) Maybe it was all the talk about enjoying life before the final bucket is kicked that prompted a short break in the embargo. :) That meal looks awesome!

Lovely, jubbly, the embargo lasted 6 days and was intended to be a month. A month sounded possible 6 days ago, but it can now s8d off!

Desert! :D

37F4FF08-92AD-47C3-B440-9174F37C5B53.jpg

I had a thought Jeff. I know - amazing right? :) Have you considered a cruise around the east coast of Canada for the autumn. There is a lovely looking one departing Montreal, Quebec that would stop in Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick before heading to New York. The colours are beautiful here in the fall. And the weather is bracing but not freezing cold. Here is a link to the itinerary I am referring to:

http://www.silversea.com/destinations/canada-new-england-cruise/4526/?ga=list

And your dessert looks grand! :)

Hi Tery, To be clear and to avoid doubt ... I didn't mean to annoy! :) In a way ... to make my point does not your last two pictures prove my point? I know you have picked pictures from your collection to make your point and to impress, but isn't Barceloneta Beach one of the ghastliest and least scenic beaches you have ever seen in Europe? Be honest ........;) Anyway ... I don't think JP has forgiven me yet for raising the question. I meant well! :( You have a great camera, but I'd only say that unless you ALWAYS have your camera with you which an expensive ultra-compact ALWAYS gives you, on your WC quite a lot of the trivial (ie most important stuff) will not get recorded.

But there I go again, interfering and questioning the detail for people that haven't asked for my bleedin' opinion ..... I am just bleedin' irritatin' Jeff

lincslady: Barcelona - we have made short visits here often over many years. To my mind' date=' it merits two or three days seeing the sights, and the inside of the Sagrada Famila is very special. [/quote']

Appreciate the varied perspectives and viewpoints. Agree with lincslady that Barcelona can work better for a shorter period, while if I was doing a week or so to live there in Europe, then my first choices would be Paris or London, etc. Jeff is not being "bleedin' irritatin' ", just offering his varied opinions and perspectives. On the beach at Barcelona, it would not be my desire to hang there and use it as a beach. Too crowded!! BUT, parts of it for visual pictures, had an interesting contrast with the water, unique buildings, etc. I liked that part and memories from there as we sampled around at this charming town with such special architecture and history. Yes, many cities in Europe and USA have their "situations" and populations that can create challenging issues.

Each of us have our own interests, needs, likes, etc. There's a saying of "Different strokes for different folks!" Very true!!

Great food and dining pix's just posted by Jeff. Fun and interesting!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 53,596 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

I had a thought Jeff. I know - amazing right? :) Have you considered a cruise around the east coast of Canada for the autumn. There is a lovely looking one departing Montreal, Quebec that would stop in Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick before heading to New York. The colours are beautiful here in the fall. And the weather is bracing but not freezing cold. Here is a link to the itinerary I am referring to:

http://www.silversea.com/destinations/canada-new-england-cruise/4526/?ga=list

And your dessert looks grand! :)

Will the pubs be open M? I'll take a cruise if the pubs are open! :D

All good lunches come to an endish .....

:)

85E17828-FB8F-4A1B-BD6B-4507353A06F9.jpg

Jeff that pork looks wonderful we haven't had any luck with it here I've bought three since we've been back from different sources and all tougher than old boots! We used to have it frequently in Bda and it was tender every time.

S - it wasn't too bad there are lots of HUGE marquees there now unlike the old days and it was easy to scoot between them and only a bit of mud in the doorways which they grounds folk were on top of sprinkling them with wood chippings. I think it helps that the whole ground is sloping of course :)

M

Kaiserschmarrn - according to my source, an Austrian dessert but while traveling, we saw it in the Biergartens in Munich, and at a restaurant in Wurzburg. In both places in Germany, it was made with apples and raisins. I use peaches and blackberries.

It's a puffed skillet-cooked pancake that is cut up and fried with butter, sugar, and the fruit of your choice. It makes a great breakfast!

upload_-1.jpg

Jeff, lunch looks tasty and dessert - very nice! There is no way I could last 6 days, though...

So Barcelona... What interests us? We never got to see much of the Gaudi architecture other than the Sagrada Familia, which will be different now some 7+ years later. We want to see the park. And we want to wander around looking for nice tapas. We would not have a huge agenda; just to take it day by day and enjoy nice food and drink. I don't think we'd need more than 2 or 3 days.

As far as the distance, inconvenience for just a long weekend - no biggie for us. It's an overnight flight there and it can be direct from JFK. Coming home would be one stopover. Jetlag doesn't bother us too much these days.

London was another potential choice for the weekend but fares were about double what Barcelona is going for now. For a weekend, that has to be a factor.

We'll see what pans out!

JP, that dish looks deliciousssssss! What a great way to start the day! And I understand about "missing" Barcelona. That was the departure port for our very first cruise and we arrived the day the cruise began so all we saw were cars on the road from the airport to the pier. I too feel like I missed something. We learned after that to arrive at the departure port a few days ahead.

Here are a couple more pictures from our Castles on the Rhine Cruise in 2009. The first is a picture taken along one of the canals in Amsterdam.

l1w6HhLHPkxZ9UxAwpVj8QUWWkW3aU0Hpxuv8g2rmS8=w900-h675-no

The next is a picture of one of the castles along the Rhine.

PzWZQCQLcwITJgVo9OrbV46GJ0CJq39aW9fc45N7504=w900-h675-no

For some reason, I tend to focus on pictures with no people in them. My "people" pictures never turn out as well. Maybe that says something about me. :(

Mysty - that was a tasty way to get a sugar high this morning. After that, plus a few espressos, we went out for a run and managed 5 miles. Now relaxing at home with a little cheese and rosé, waiting for some friends to join us for dinner in a few hours.

These friends of ours are an amazing example of what a small world we live in. We first met them on our October 2013 Panama Canal cruise. They live in Pennsylvania, probably 3 hours from us. Yeah, yeah, the usual "let's get together after the cruise, etc..." It ended up that over the course of the cruise we met up with another couple from Toronto and the couple from Brisbane Australia, and the 8 of us ended up deciding that we liked luxury traveling, liked good wine and good company, and we'd travel together in the future.

The 8 of us were the group that visited Africa in May/June of this year. Before that happened, though, the 6 of us from North America had gotten together at least 4-5 times, at each others' houses, or for wine tours (we organized one in the Finger Lakes, the Canadians organised one in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and the PA folks organized one in the Lehigh Valley wine region. It's been such a fun group! The 6 of us from North America have already planned a trip to Madagascar in late 2016.

Lest you think that the story ends there... Chris' parents moved to PA 20+ years ago and now it's just her father, who lives in an assisted living facilty - about 1/2 hour from the PA couple. So now when we go visit him, we have other folks to visit with too. And, their son just got a job in Schenectady NY, 20 minutes from Albany!

So after all of that - they are in town today visiting their son and we're all meeting up for dinner. A nice surprise! Definitely glad that we took that cruise 2 years ago.

Also, that is a gorgeous shot of Burg Ehrenfels along the Rhine, with the fall colors in full display. I have a picture from a different season - this was taken in the Spring time, from a slightly different angle. We were sailing in the opposite direction:

CC%25252006b1%252520Rhine%252520Gorge-3.jpg

Isn't that stretch of the Rhine beautiful? I can't wait to be there again in just a few weeks! Chatted with my dealer today while I was completing the paperwork for the financing, and he has a VIN for my car, so it's just days from being completed. :D

Edited by jpalbny

That is so cool JP! That friendships forged on a cruise in 2013 have provided so much fun! It is indeed a small world! Enjoy your dinner this evening!

Your picture is beautiful and provides a striking counterpoint to the fall setting! That stretch of Rhine is breath-taking!

You must be so very excited about your car! Is time slowing down for you now? Like tick........tock.......tick......tock?

Wouldn't it be neat if Jeff and his lovely wife took the cruise departing from Montreal? You and your lovely Chris and Myster and I could meet them in Montreal before the cruise and party hearty! :)

Wouldn't it be neat if Jeff and his lovely wife took the cruise departing from Montreal? You and your lovely Chris and Myster and I could meet them in Montreal before the cruise and party hearty! :)

That would indeed be fun. Montréal is a great place to visit! Though I have a slight preference for Québec, as I find it smaller and more quaint, Montréal is much closer and is an easy weekend trip for us.

Good Sunday Morning all .... I hope everyone is getting scrubbed up and ready to go to Church of Chapel this Sunday!

I will stay in La Bistro this morning minding the shop! Real joy today as my sad daily search has today found the return on streaming of The Ragtime channel which has started to stream again on Radio Riel on my TuneIn app! It had disappeared for a while and is back. :)

The Sunday Times and a bit of old barber shop and ragtime on a Sunday with a cup of Twining's Splosh! What can be better!

Jeff