Alternative Take on Dress Codes

Then of course you will have to have a casual party for the ones that don't wish to dress up. Would the captain be expected to wear shorts to that one?

Just leave things as they are, it works perfectly well for most people, except for just a few disgruntled, argumentative pot stirrers on CC.

That is very true.

Have you ever heard the CEO of the company put forth such an opinion? I'd rather that the person telling my customers to go elsewhere be the ones to stay home.

RCL will never tell anyone to "stay home". If their money is green (or can be converted to green) then they are welcome. A customer is a customer. Further, they will do whatever is necessary to keep the majority of customers coming back for more.

It's all about revenue folks.

I don't think it's "fear" of anything, but there are certainly those who would miss the formal nights. That doesn't mean that they will be prohibited from dressing up. You could dress formally to go to McDonald's, if you wanted, but that wouldn't make it a dress-up occasion. Some people simply like having that dress-up occasion. Surely you're not really that confused by this concept, even if you feel differently.

Well, yes, actually I am confused as to why, if I dressed up to go to McDonald's, it would not be a "dress -up" occasion. It would be, for me, because I dressed up! It is certainly true that I would not choose McDonald's for a dress-up occasion, because I don't have to -- I have better options. So if the MDR remains a "nice" venue, in the sense of nice china and good service and perhaps better-presented food than, say, the buffet, why wouldn't I dress up, and therefore be engaging in a dress-up occasion -- i.e. "formal night" -- regardless of how others are dressing? This is my point -- I make the occasion "dress-up" by my choices, not by others' choices.

As to how I "feel" about cruise "formal night": I love it! But I do not need encouragement, suggestion, or permission from the cruise line to dress for dinner. I like to dress up, and I reserve my best duds for suggested (or "designated," on some lines) formal or elegant night, as does my husband. But we wear neither a gown nor a tux, and sometimes he does not even wear a suit, but a dress pants and shirt, tie, and sport coat. I wear a cocktail dress. But we "dress" for dinner every night on board, and eat every dinner in the MDR or a nice specialty restaurant. So at dinner throughout the cruise we are, on average, probably dressier than most, but on formal night, less dressy than possible.

i prefer the use of "suggested" rather than "designated". That allows people with a similar dress choice to do so as a group, rather than randomly. Helps with the planning.

Other than in your post, could you show me where people have been referred to as "lazy, ignorant pigs"?

I have no fear how people view me or how I dress. Quite frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

The descriptive I used was not a quote, but the sense I had gotten about how some posters regarded others in the let me say "casual dressing" camp. I certainly am not describing folks this way -- but that was (a perhaps exaggerated) summary of my impression.

You will forgive me if I do not go back through all 200 plus posts and extract the various adjectives I read which gave me this impression...

I love lamp.

Why is this such a hot button topic to some people? Can't you just enjoy your cruise and let them enjoy theirs?

It's not like formal clothes rub off on non-formal clothes or non-formal clothes float up your nose or formal clothes cause allergies/asthma.

Well, yes, actually I am confused as to why, if I dressed up to go to McDonald's, it would not be a "dress -up" occasion. It would be, for me, because I dressed up! It is certainly true that I would not choose McDonald's for a dress-up occasion, because I don't have to -- I have better options. So if the MDR remains a "nice" venue, in the sense of nice china and good service and perhaps better-presented food than, say, the buffet, why wouldn't I dress up, and therefore be engaging in a dress-up occasion -- i.e. "formal night" -- regardless of how others are dressing? This is my point -- I make the occasion "dress-up" by my choices, not by others' choices.

As to how I "feel" about cruise "formal night": I love it! But I do not need encouragement, suggestion, or permission from the cruise line to dress for dinner. I like to dress up, and I reserve my best duds for suggested (or "designated," on some lines) formal or elegant night, as does my husband. But we wear neither a gown nor a tux, and sometimes he does not even wear a suit, but a dress pants and shirt, tie, and sport coat. I wear a cocktail dress. But we "dress" for dinner every night on board, and eat every dinner in the MDR or a nice specialty restaurant. So at dinner throughout the cruise we are, on average, probably dressier than most, but on formal night, less dressy than possible.

My point was simply that there is a difference between going to a formal event (ie and event where it is standard to dress up and all or most people do so) and just dressing up because you want to. I don't know what this is such a hard thing to understand.

So, if there were no longer a formal night on a cruise, it wouldn't prevent you from donning formal attire, but that would be different from a night where the standard attire is formal. It's not wrong; it's just different.

So, no, dressing up to go to McDonald's doesn't make McDonald's a formal place on that night. It just means the you went there dressed up.

I love lamp.

Why is this such a hot button topic to some people? Can't you just enjoy your cruise and let them enjoy theirs?

It's not like formal clothes rub off on non-formal clothes or non-formal clothes float up your nose or formal clothes cause allergies/asthma.

Are you just naming things in the room Brick?

This begs the question, what is fine dining?

I've been in some very "stuffy" restaurants, where everyone was in coat-and-tie/evening dresses, and the food was very mediocre.

I've been in family restaurants, where the quality of the dishes was worthy of a 4-star restaurant, if not 5-star.

And let's not forget that some food just isn't 5-star in its nature, such as BBQ. I know people who avoid expensive Italian restaurants in favor of much more casual restaurants, because they want excellant Italian family cooking, and not some 5-star dinner that no Italian grandmother would even attempt to cook in her home kitchen.

What I don't get is why people bother booking a cruise, if they don't want to dress nicely for a dinner or two. I know retirees who complain that they wore coats and ties to work every day for 40 years, and they are so done with that. I know people who work in business casual environments, dress business casual for church, and never go out to a restaurant that isn't part of a casual dining or fast-food chain.

I personally like to put on a coat and tie. I weat a coat and tie to church, even in the summer. Before we became parents, my wife and I usually took nice clothes on vacation, because we usually went to one or two nice restaurants.

[quote name=ckfred;39624248

What I don't get is why people bother booking a cruise' date=' if they don't want to dress nicely for a dinner or two.[/quote]

I always dress ''nice'', but I no longer have the desire to wear a suit or tux. Slacks, silk shirt and sport jacket.

So I will continue to cruise even though you don't think I should and Royal will gladly take my money.

Remember the magic word is '' suggested dress''

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

What I don't get is why people bother booking a cruise, if they don't want to dress nicely for a dinner or two.

Because for us there is a lot more to cruising than eating. I have my reasons for cruising and you have yours. There really is no need for either one of us to justify to the other why we cruise. And I certainly would never ask someone why they bother booking a cruise just because what they enjoy is different from what I enjoy.

Because for us there is a lot more to cruising than eating. I have my reasons for cruising and you have yours. There really is no need for either one of us to justify to the other why we cruise. And I certainly would never ask someone why they bother booking a cruise just because what they enjoy is different from what I enjoy.

Amen!

I love lamp.

PLUS One THOUSAND!

Very well said.

My thoughts were similar but not nearly as diplomatic.;)

Y'all have it figured out yet?

Royal Caribbean Dress Code MDR (suggested)

Royal Caribbean holds formal nights on select nights of every cruise.

1. On cruises of 3-5 nights,

there is usually one evening ,

where there is a formal night. And the other evenings are "cruise casual".

2. On a 7-night cruise,

there are usually two evenings

where there are formal nights.

And the other evenings are "cruise casual”.

RCL Definitions:

<H3>Formal Nights

• Men: Collared shirts with slacks, nice jeans or suit pants. Jackets are optional but common. Tuxedoes are optional and occasionally seen.
  • Women: Evening, cocktail dresses or formal clothing (pant suits, dressy clothes).
  • No tank tops, hats or swim wear in the dining rooms.

</H3>Other Cruise Casual Nights

• Men: Slacks, khakis, jeans and button down shirts.
  • Women: casual dresses, skirts and blouse.
  • No tank tops, hats or swim wear in the dining rooms.

First Night - there are exceptions for all circumstances

I think its fun dressing up each night for dinner....just look how people used to dress up for baseball games hats and ties....its just classy...that being said I understand sometimes things happen to luggage (lost etc...) maybe since there is one or two formal nights maybe the last night of the cruise they should serve hamburgers and everyone can wear flip flops :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

because for us there is a lot more to cruising than eating. I have my reasons for cruising and you have yours. There really is no need for either one of us to justify to the other why we cruise. And i certainly would never ask someone why they bother booking a cruise just because what they enjoy is different from what i enjoy.

** "like" **

because for us there is a lot more to cruising than eating. I have my reasons for cruising and you have yours. There really is no need for either one of us to justify to the other why we cruise. And i certainly would never ask someone why they bother booking a cruise just because what they enjoy is different from what i enjoy.

*like* a lot!!!! :)

These threads get a lot of attention because...it is NOT about what people choose to wear or not wear to the MDR....

It is about the people who insist to tell other people what they must wear or not wear to the MDR, in spite of what the RCI "Dress Code" actually states....these people have their own dress codes and feel everyone should follow theirs....

I could care less what other people wear...but I do care when other people tell me what I should do...in spite of what the rules actually state.

I always dress ''nice'', but I no longer have the desire to wear a suit or tux. Slacks, silk shirt and sport jacket.

So I will continue to cruise even though you don't think I should and Royal will gladly take my money.

Remember the magic word is '' suggested dress''

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Like and like. Unfortunately come Saturday I will no longer to enjoy this thread as I will be on Oasis, with just 1 smart casual outfit.:D

Counting the days till my Black Berry status will be changed to "At Sea", and locked in the safe for a week.

Like and like. Unfortunately come Saturday I will no longer to enjoy this thread as I will be on Oasis, with just 1 smart casual outfit.:D

Counting the days till my Black Berry status will be changed to "At Sea", and locked in the safe for a week.

Have an awesome time! I'll be thinking of you guys.

Archived