VIP Program

C 2 C

The future of Elitism+ or just top suites..

A very interesting news release posted on Cruise Critic News:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5483

When we were on Infinity last month, Guest relations were still advising guests that although Michaels was the location of the club, on at sea days anyone could use it - just as well, the "Private club by invitation only" as it said on the door was empty all day every day apart from a member of staff just sitting there so the VIPs did not seem to see the need for it

Interesting. Don't want to do too much speculating with so very little information, but heck why not. One interesting point here I think is the inclusion of certain (all?) suite passengers, with apparent disregard for Captains Club status. My cynical little mind adds this information (admittedly incomplete) to that of comments the new CEO has made and one wonders if instead of additional Captains Club levels that anyone can achieve over time, Celebrity is instead going to focus on the bigger spenders. This would be a real change in the paradigm of how these programs are managed today by the mainstream cruise lines. Perhaps this would be in addition to, rather than instead of. Or perhaps I am way off base. I guess time will tell.

One more thought and question to the masses - interesting they are calling it (so far anyway) VIP. I say this due to the uproar (and confusion) the name 'Elite' can bring on these boards, with those of us who have reached that level often getting flamed when we even mention it on these boards, and accused of being snobs, etc.. I think VIP is just as potential divisive. What do you think?

Interesting. Don't want to do too much speculating with so very little information, but heck why not. One interesting point here I think is the inclusion of certain (all?) suite passengers, with apparent disregard for Captains Club status. My cynical little mind adds this information (admittedly incomplete) to that of comments the new CEO has made and one wonders if instead of additional Captains Club levels that anyone can achieve over time, Celebrity is instead going to focus on the bigger spenders. This would be a real change in the paradigm of how these programs are managed today by the mainstream cruise lines. Perhaps this would be in addition to, rather than instead of. Or perhaps I am way off base. I guess time will tell.

I reported in the past that a usually reliable source told me that amount spent would be a factor in any new program. When I asked what spending would be included he told me that everything, shops, spas, excursions, would be included. He also told me that there would be no "grandfathering" and that Celebrity would go to days. This might be the first sign that he was aware of changes. Or, it could have just been a guess. Oh, isn't speculating fun?

To me, the VIP program as described doesn't hold much if anything.

We were given VIP status on our Alaska Century cruise...We are Elite and stayed in a SS we had the 2nd highest cruise credits at 29!! We received elite coupons marked VIP, as well as a VIP card for access to elite events. We met a family that were given VIP status, they were in a royal suite and first X cruise.

I don't know if this is the same thing as what they are rolling out on infinity...maybe there were just not many captains club elites on this particular cruise!

Don't see how the perks listed in this article are much different from what we receive now as Elites.

Perks include (but may change as Celebrity refines the program):

*exclusive use of Michael's Club every day until 7 p.m.

*a dedicated concierge

*happy hour with free drinks from 5 to 7 p.m. every night

*priority embarkation, tendering, dining reservations, possibly shore excursions

I also don't like the term VIP. Seems snobby.

Anne Maria

Don't see how the perks listed in this article are much different from what we receive now as Elites.

Anne Maria

*a dedicated concierge

*priority embarkation, tendering, dining reservations, possibly shore excursions/QUOTE]

But what if Elites no longer get a lounge nor priority ( if a 1,000 people have priority, who has priority?)

What if every elite gets vouchers but no "free drinks" in a lounge and if the lounge now offers a better drink menu for VIPs.

*a dedicated concierge

*priority embarkation, tendering, dining reservations, possibly shore excursions/QUOTE]

But what if Elites no longer get a lounge nor priority ( if a 1,000 people have priority, who has priority?)

What if every elite gets vouchers but no "free drinks" in a lounge and if the lounge now offers a better drink menu for VIPs.

Well, then I'd guess I'd have to start thinking about a new cruise line or maybe an all inclusive vacation, which my DH mentioned the other day.

Well, then I'd guess I'd have to start thinking about a new cruise line or maybe an all inclusive vacation, which my DH mentioned the other day.

Now to find one without an imminent sink hole...

*a dedicated concierge

Bingo! That's the thrust of what I was told. One's past posts remain forever so anyone can check what I said. I began to doubt my source when someone from Miami HQ told me nothing had been decided. Perhaps they were rethinking and decided to do what I was told they were planning to do? Only time will tell. Naturally, everything I say is based on my reading and connecting of the dots, but it's all speculation.

This is exactly what I think is going to happen.

Elimination of the Elite lounge and creation of the VIP lounge, better drinks there, nice hors- d'oevres,...

We will see. We are not nearly near any VIP status, do not book suites ( really don't need it ) and we do not drink alcohol ( a lot :p) mor do we gamble.

We personally prefer voucher systems anyhow.

we do not drink alcohol ( a lot :p)

My condolences.. the world's greatest beer producing country and you don't imbibe.. but then again being forced to drink the beer that is offered at elite gatherings and I understand your reluctance... ;)

I also don't like the term VIP. Seems snobby.

Anne Maria

I agree. I think a more appropriate term should be "Low Lifes", "Bilge Rats" or the like so they won't be accused of being snobby. Personally, if someone has spent or is spending 10 times more than I am, I say let them have their perks. Jealousy vs snobbery. I can do without both of them.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but:

What impact would this have on the reciprocal benefits with Royal Caribbean?

If some sort of "Elite" (strictly to use the current name of the program level) program isn't retained, I fail to see how they could keep up the reciprocal relationship with Royal's Diamond (and above) levels... Just thinking out loud.

So basically they are going to piss off millions of Elite passengers by taking away perks that they have been enjoying for the past 3 years or so.

I still do not read that in the plan.. vouchers but no lounge because nothing is large enough on some sailings. There is no mention of laundry, internet or other elite perks being cut. It's only the lounge that will revert to Michael's to accommodate the original anticipated numbers. The elite program has just proven too successful.

So basically they are going to piss off millions of Elite passengers by taking away perks that they have been enjoying for the past 3 years or so.

Nice plan.:mad:

Many have been saying that any new program would be bottom line driven. Someone should have thought about the potential consequences (on the bottom line) when the Loyalty Program was developed. Perhaps the folks in command at that time never thought that so many would reach the Elite level so quickly. They perhaps underappreciated the quality of their product. Don't believe anyone knows the number of days or points for VIP, or if it will vary depending on how many high number Elites are on a particular cruise. While a dedicated lounge might be nice from time to time, I'd rather be free to meet more of my fellow cruisers and vouchers appeal to me.

Perhaps Celebrity Cruises could now make some comments?

Someone should have thought about the potential consequences (on the bottom line) when the Loyalty Program was developed. Perhaps the folks in command at that time never thought that so many would reach the Elite level so quickly. ?

Victims of their own sucess. :)

I think that's what happened with Royal when they had to kick Diamonds out of the Concierge Lounge, and is now starting to happen with smaller Celebrity.

Celebrity currently gives "special" status to PH and RS guests already. I have 76 cruise credits with Celebrity. When I cruise in a RS or a PH I get "priority embarkation" (and I mean priority - met in the terminal by concierge or captains club hostess and bypass the lines), lunch in Bistro on 5, invitations to dine at officers tables, invitations to bridge for sailaway, etc. However, when I choose to cruise in a balcony or concierge cabin, I still have my 76 cruise credits but I get no "special treatment" whatsoever.

Sorry to say, but I think Celebrity already caters to those who spend the big bucks - not to those who cruise the most often.

I still do not read that in the plan.. vouchers but no lounge because nothing is large enough on some sailings. There is no mention of laundry, internet or other elite perks being cut. It's only the lounge that will revert to Michael's to accommodate the original anticipated numbers. The elite program has just proven too successful.

Vouchers are not a lounge with unlimited service from 5-7, so yes that is being taken away. Now if I could go to any bar from 5-7 and get what is on the Captain's Club drink menu without limit than that is different.

What about priority embarkation and tendering that were mentioned in the article? Not that those are deal breakers but if you have been use to receiving these perks you notice when they are taken away.

Archived