Zuiderdam Panama Canal Sunfarer

NoobCruise

The Zuiderdam does the 10 day Panama Canal Sunfarer. Does it actually go into the lochs or does it just sail by it? DH wants to do the Panama Canal, which I really have no interest in, but I'd love to do the Caribbean. I'm trying to decide if this one would make us both happy.

The Zuiderdam does the 10 day Panama Canal Sunfarer. Does it actually go into the lochs or does it just sail by it? DH wants to do the Panama Canal, which I really have no interest in, but I'd love to do the Caribbean. I'm trying to decide if this one would make us both happy.

We did this awhile go and we went through the first set of locks. Went into he lake, let people off for excursions, and then went back through the locks into the Caribbean. It was an amazing trip and would like to do it again!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You will transit the three-chamber Gatun locks to Gatun Lake. Not sure, as we did a full Pacific to Atlantic transit on a different line, but I believe that people on certain HAL excursions will disembark at this time. You likely will spend some time in Gatun Lake before turning around, back thru the same set of locks. The HAL excursion people will meet up with the ship in Colon, Panama on the Atlantic side.

This should certainly solve your "he wants, I want" situation. You can enjoy the Caribbean ports, your DH can enjoy the Canal. There is an excursion from Gaton Lake on which your DH can get on a large ferry-type boat and go completely thru the Canal to the Pacific side. You are then bussed back to Colon to meet up with the ship. We did this trip in 2010 and will likely do it again this year or next. (You might want to check out the Z's 11-day trip also.)

I'm trying to decide if this one would make us both happy.
It could ... or it could leave him wanting to do the full transit. :) The Gatun locks are the best IMO, but not the same experience as seeing the whole thing.

It's an excellent itinerary. My only recommendation is to go for the 11-day if you have the time - the additional port, Cartagena, Colombia, is fantastic. The 11-day itinerary is typically very similar in price to an adjacent 10-day I've found.

We go through the Miraflores locks into Gatun Lake and then turn around and return to Ft Lauderdale with other stops in between:)

Joanie

We go through the Miraflores locks into Gatun Lake and then turn around and return to Ft Lauderdale with other stops in between:)

Joanie

No you don't - the Miraflores locks are at the Pacific end.

Joanie

No, if you are on the Zuiderdam, you go through the Gatun locks in Gatun Lake, drop off pax on excursions, then return thru the Gatun Locks, docking at Colon to pick up the pax who got off for excursions.

The Miraflores locks are on the Pacific side.

It's an excellent itinerary. My only recommendation is to go for the 11-day if you have the time - the additional port, Cartagena, Colombia, is fantastic. The 11-day itinerary is typically very similar in price to an adjacent 10-day I've found.

And it cost the same to do a collectors 14 day cruise east& west Caribbean on a much better ship Eurodam or N.amsterdam. IMO, the latter has a better value if you are not fascinated by the engineering of the canal. We went through the same thing and we ended up booking the 14 day Caribbean on Eurodam.

It is great to go through the 3 sets of Gatun Locks. It is a wonderful introduction to the Panama Canal.

We have done a couple of the partial transits and quite a few of the full Panama Canal cruises.

You need to be up early to watch the approach to the locks. You will see quite a freighters sitting around -- many with their lights on. Most of them will not be going through the canal that day.

We have stated going through the locks as early at 6 and as late as 7.

You want to be out on the bow to see everything.

Once you get through the locks, the ship goes a short distance and anchors and drops down several tenders. Only those people who have booked ship excursions can get off the ship to go ashore.

If you don't take a tour, around 1 PM or so the ship gets in line to go back through the Gatun Locks and head for Colon.

Do try the Panama Buns -- they are delicious -- and this is the only day they are available. They will be in the Lido, dining room and even some trays of them will be set up on the open decks and Crow's Nest.

Since you already received your answer the ship does go through some of the locks, here is a little more info..... If you decide on this cruise make sure your DH selects the tour HAL calls "The Canal Experience to Colon." That title is not the most descriptive in telling you what the tour entails. What happens is when your ship clears Gatun Locks and reaches the Gatun Lake Anchorage, you will tender off the ship and be transported by bus to the Pacific side. There you will board a smaller vessel and you complete a partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut. Your transit of Gatun Locks in the morning and your partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut will provide DH passage through a good portion of the Canal. The only part of the Canal you will not experience is the passage across Gatun Lake. Combining this cruise and tour does have one distinct advantage, you get a great A/B comparison of the operation of the Canal by seeing it from your Panamax cruise ship and then from the smaller vessel on the Pacific side. Two completely different perspectives. Maybe it will satisfy his Canal quotient .... and if it doesn't, you can always rethink the full transit!

Since you already received your answer the ship does go through some of the locks, here is a little more info..... If you decide on this cruise make sure your DH selects the tour HAL calls "The Canal Experience to Colon." That title is not the most descriptive in telling you what the tour entails. What happens is when your ship clears Gatun Locks and reaches the Gatun Lake Anchorage, you will tender off the ship and be transported by bus to the Pacific side. There you will board a smaller vessel and you complete a partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut. Your transit of Gatun Locks in the morning and your partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut will provide DH passage through a good portion of the Canal. The only part of the Canal you will not experience is the passage across Gatun Lake. Combining this cruise and tour does have one distinct advantage, you get a great A/B comparison of the operation of the Canal by seeing it from your Panamax cruise ship and then from the smaller vessel on the Pacific side. Two completely different perspectives. Maybe it will satisfy his Canal quotient .... and if it doesn't, you can always rethink the full transit!

Just to add:

and if you don't want to do that tour because you don't want to see locks, send him there and you can do the Embera Village tour. It's quite unique:D

We did this cruise - I had little interest in the Panama Canal - I went mainly for the other ports although my friends wanted to see it and the price was right;) Much to my surprise, I really enjoyed going through the locks. It was very neat. You might get a very pleasant surprise:D

We loved the itinerary and the cruise:D

IMO the views and camera angles are much better on one of the forward decks above the bow.

I agree. When I did this cruise on the Zuiderdam, I tried to go out on the deck above the bow, but it was closed by order of the Captain. So, I went to the Crow's Nest, and sat in comfort for the sail through the Gatun Locks.

It was a great view, not hot & humid, and much more comfortable than standing on the bow would have been.

We are doing the 11 day Sunfarer December 9. Seeing the Panama Canal and experiencing a transit is definitely on my bucket list. However, seeing the ENTIRE canal isn't. I have never been to the Caribbean and this will probably be my one cruise to see it all.

I suggest if you are looking seriously at one of these, book it this weekend while the prices are reduced. The price for our SB cabin went down $400 pp.

FWIW, I've been reading quite a bit about how to see the canal and Mom and I decided to stay onboard. We will get up early, out on deck (probably the aft Lido deck) to watch the entrance. At that point, all those going on excursions will be heading out and we'll have a leisurely breakfast and loll around the pool and look at the scenery. At about 1, we will then take our place at the then far less crowded front and watch the process going back out.

Archived