Tablets in the DR: order your own food

SilvertoGold

For those who have missed the HALBlog of Captain Schooderbeek and the thread on this site: it seems that HAL, in a green effort to save paper, may introduce tablets at all DR tables so pax can order their own menu items. Waiters will be there for advising and waiting the tables. May take a few years to bring in this inovation.

Any of the other lines doing this yet?

What does everyone think of this?

For those who have missed the HALBlog of Captain Schooderbeek and the thread on this site: it seems that HAL, in a green effort to save paper, may introduce tablets at all DR tables so pax can order their own menu items. Waiters will be there for advising and waiting the tables. May take a few years to bring in this inovation.

Any of the other lines doing this yet?

What does everyone think of this?

I'm not sure I like it.

I'm really beginning to seriously question some of their management decisions....:rolleyes:

Truly...that is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever heard. Can you imagine going into an upscale restaurant and being handed a tablet and stylus and instructed to make your choices?

If you read the actual post he really is just "supposing". I doubt that HAL would be the first line to try this. If something like this actually does happen, look for a trend-setting line like RCI or NCL to do it first...and then start to worry. For HAL I am sure a thought about this is YEARS off. Look at how long it's taken them to adjust the smoking policy! ;)

In some ways I would like it, faster ordering, being sure you get what you want but until this technique is commonly used, I don't think it would be well received. Seems a little cheesy to most folks I suspect. I think the actual implementation would be a train wreck.

If you read the actual post he really is just "supposing". I doubt that HAL would be the first line to try this. If something like this actually does happen, look for a trend-setting line like RCI or NCL to do it first...and then start to worry. For HAL I am sure a thought about this is YEARS off. Look at how long it's taken them to adjust the smoking policy! ;)

The Captain does say that this will appear on the cruise ships in a few years.

I'm really beginning to seriously question some of their management decisions....:rolleyes:

Truly...that is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever heard. Can you imagine going into an upscale restaurant and being handed a tablet and stylus and instructed to make your choices?

Exactly!

Captain Albert stated "he would not be surprised tablets replacing menu's in the future;" it was just his speculation and opinion and should not be construed this is going to happen in the near future.

On another note his blog entry yesterday had a picture of a portable x-Ray unit for scanning luggage. The question of whether luggage was X-rayed came up on previous post a couple of weeks ago. Looks like they do X-Ray luggage.

Captain Albert stated "he would not be surprised tablets replacing menu's in the future;" it was just his speculation and opinion and should not be construed this is going to happen in the near future.

On another note his blog entry yesterday had a picture of a portable x-Ray unit for scanning luggage. The question of whether luggage was X-rayed came up on previous post a couple of weeks ago. Looks like they do X-Ray luggage.

I noticed that too, Chief, and it certainly confirmed that luggage does, indeed, get X-rayed, which is reassuring.

If you read a bit further, he says that this (tablets) might take a few years but will appear on the cruise ships eventually.

An iPad based menu ordering system will work, and is in use now at some restaurants and other locations. It would simplify the order entry system, account for covers, entrees sent etc. Now it comes to implmentation. If the MDR can seat say 500 and only have 50 tablets you can see where the weakness with start with. If they started a phased approach where the MDR wait staff would place orders via the iPad table side than the current paper then run and wait for an open terminal. One iPad per main waiter. From the tablet they can place the order directly to the kitchen, and place orders for the Bar. The time to run back and forth to the terminal or wait at bar would give more time for running of food, talking to the tables. This should give the wait staff full understanding of the system before handing the tablets to the end user and have them order. But..... Yes But. If they use the gains in efficiency to lower staff, then they would worsen the current condition and have no benefit.

Environmental regulations most likely will make changes like this the new normal. Though the energy consumption trade-offs powering up iPads versus paper menu production costs will have their own analysis.

More waiters are now using ipads for order taking today so it is a small step to make menu available electronically too. Can't say I like it, but environmental regulation intrusions in our daily lives continue to grow.

I live in Hamilton, Ontario and there is a sushi place here called spring sushi that does this. For sushi at least, it works very well because you can put in multiple orders as you eat without waiting for the waiter/waitress to come around. Not sure how necessary it would be when your only ordering an appetizer, entree, and possibly dessert but I don't disagree with the comment that tablets may be the menu of the future.

Maybe they will replace the wait staff with robots...this effort to go green will more than certain take away jobs from people who really need them..great plan HAL - at least the tablet can't get a virus - BUT IT CERTAINLY CAN SPREAD ONE!! :eek:

Here's your tablet and a bottle of purell - oh and some penicillin just in case!!

Environmental regulations most likely will make changes like this the new normal. Though the energy consumption trade-offs powering up iPads versus paper menu production costs will have their own analysis.

More waiters are now using ipads for order taking today so it is a small step to make menu available electronically too. Can't say I like it, but environmental regulation intrusions in our daily lives continue to grow.

Now this makes more sense - give the tablets to the wait staff. Would improve efficiency since they wouldnt have to explain device usage to the pax and further they would more than likely reduce travel time from kitchen to guest...

And would also reduce the amount of hands on the devices...hopefully curbing the possible spread of Noro...I wonder if they talked to the CDC about this?

Elderly HAL cruisers are baffled by their own cell phones. How would they ever manage a tablet? HAL will have to assign one teenager to each table to help the old folks with the technology.

What an outrageous post! I live on my IPhone, IPad, and computer and have no trouble with any of them. I'm usually one step ahead of my college age grandchildren who I text at least once a day to stay in touch and when it comes to the latest technology they know Grandma is as capable as they are on her electronic devices. And yes I have my Medicare card. Don't you realize a large % of posters here on CC are seniors. You're either kidding or just insulting. Would there be some pax who had trouble with a simple tablet menu? A few probably, but of all ages. It would be made very simple.

If any of the cruise lines start that -- we are done with cruising.

If my DH can't handle a computer -- how does anyone think he can handle a Tablet??

You'd better bring him up to date KK.

More and More things are going electronic. He's going to have learn one of these days.

Archived