Tablets in the DR: order your own food

SilvertoGold

Celebrity already does this in their specialty restaurant, Qsine.

The iPads have lovely pictures of the food, the waiter assigned to your table can answer any questions that you have, and it's super easy to use. Each diner has an iPad so each person orders individually.

I'd never used an iPad before, but it was so user friendly that we were well into making our choices when our waiter came over to explain how to use it. When he looked at what we'd ordered thus far, he asked if we had ever been to the restaurant before! Well, no, it was our first time.

The waiters do not use them to order, the passenger does. It's fun and fast.

Great way to pass the noro virus along, with everyone putting their greasy fingers on the screen. Not to mention those cruisers that find it acceptable to not wash their hands after using the facilities and then proceeding to the dining room to order their dinner from their tablet.

It just occurred to me how this can degenerate into the resturant scene in Brazil (1985). In the scene the people are given a menu with eight pictures of the food. No names, no descriptions. Just pretty pictures with numbers. You must order by the number. And when you do. I all comes out to the same green blob with matching picture of your order. Now that is efficiency.

Hopefully before they bring out tablets they will have your account info and billing available on the tv's.;)

Once they catch up then they can add any gizmo they want.

Oh and they do have some cleaner wipes that they use for these things same as the keyboards on the computers;)

Makes me wonder how they would handle the first two code orange days and what happens if they ship goes into code red:D

ahh heck, I'm just evil tonight I guess:D:D

Celebrity does this very thing in their sushi/pacific/oriental restaurant which is very whimsical. I can't think of the restaurant name.

the restaurant is Qsine...also, the presentation of foods is whimsical/unique...pop orn shrimp served in popcorn (red square box) container, hamburger brought on a mini grill presentation , and you put your own toppings, etc.....

I'm really beginning to seriously question some of their management decisions....:rolleyes:

Truly...that is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever heard. Can you imagine going into an upscale restaurant and being handed a tablet and stylus and instructed to make your choices?

Actually, some high-end trendy restaurants have started doing this. We experienced it at the Toronto Airport and it works quite well.

With the iPads, you still have a waiter who would be able to accomodate any special requests. It also depends on how the cruiseline programs the tablet for menu ordering.

And as far as the cleanliness factor, how are printed menus that are used on a daily/weekly/monthly/yearly basis any different? At least with a tablet, it has to be wiped down regularly to take off any fingerprints. It's necessary to assure that the tablet functions properly. The iPads that we used on Celebrity were pristine. I doubt that printed menus are cleaned after each use.

What an outrageous post! I live on my IPhone' date=' IPad, and computer and have no trouble with any of them. I'm usually one step ahead of my college age grandchildren who I text at least once a day to stay in touch and when it comes to the latest technology they know Grandma is as capable as they are on her electronic devices. And yes I have my Medicare card. Don't you realize a large % of posters here on CC are seniors. You're either kidding or just insulting. Would there be some pax who had trouble with a simple tablet menu? A few probably, but of all ages. It would be made very simple.[/quote']

I'm quite adept, too, on the electronic devices. But, I must admit, I could not do something on my Droid and my 9 year old granddaughter showed me easily!

What an outrageous post! I live on my IPhone' date=' IPad, and computer and have no trouble with any of them. I'm usually one step ahead of my college age grandchildren who I text at least once a day to stay in touch and when it comes to the latest technology they know Grandma is as capable as they are on her electronic devices. And yes I have my Medicare card. Don't you realize a large % of posters here on CC are seniors. You're either kidding or just insulting. Would there be some pax who had trouble with a simple tablet menu? A few probably, but of all ages. It would be made very simple.[/quote']

Try not to be too offended. We've all seen the commercials for Jitterbug cell phones and Life Alert "one touch of a button". Some of us probably also remember the commercials of that internet access device that hooked up to the TV....because computers were just too complex for older people. Generalizations probably, but there is a reason for it.

Oh and they do have some cleaner wipes that they use for these things same as the keyboards on the computers;)D

But the point of doing this was to "save" on paper use. I don't see how using wipes that are basically paper to clean tablets saves on paper or supplies.

Bring it, I say!

Some exceptionally high-end restaurants have gone this way, as has WaWa and Sheetz (two insanely popular gas stations/restaurants in Pennsylvania). It cuts waste, makes ordering more efficient, cuts down on mistakes (esp those often due to language barriers) and is cheaper for the cruiseline.

Pilots got rid of their gigantic reference books years ago for tablets, and they LOVE it. It is not the future, it is today.

For those who have missed the HALBlog of Captain Schooderbeek and the thread on this site: it seems that HAL, in a green effort to save paper, may introduce tablets at all DR tables so pax can order their own menu items. Waiters will be there for advising and waiting the tables. May take a few years to bring in this inovation.

Any of the other lines doing this yet?

What does everyone think of this?

If you read a bit further, he says that this (tablets) might take a few years but will appear on the cruise ships eventually.

I bolded what you stated Capt. Albert said in his blog..

Did Capt. Albert actually say that HAL may introduce these tablets in order to save paper :confused: or was this just a supposition on his part that eventually this method of ordering will eventually come to pass on cruise ships? There is a big difference in statement actually made about HAL & a supposition about what may come to pass on cruise lines!

Wonder if you were just trying to stir the pot by misquoting him? ;)

Betty

Great way to pass the noro virus along, with everyone putting their greasy fingers on the screen. Not to mention those cruisers that find it acceptable to not wash their hands after using the facilities and then proceeding to the dining room to order their dinner from their tablet.

That is what I already mentioned -- and wipes do not kill germs.

If any of the cruise lines start that -- we are done with cruising.

If my DH can't handle a computer -- how does anyone think he can handle a Tablet??

Think of the tablet is like a non-digital Etch-A-Sketch were you just have to touch the selection you want either with your finger or with a stylus point. ;)

Hopefully before they bring out tablets they will have your account info and billing available on the tv's.;)

Once they catch up then they can add any gizmo they want.

Oh and they do have some cleaner wipes that they use for these things same as the keyboards on the computers;)

Makes me wonder how they would handle the first two code orange days and what happens if they ship goes into code red:D

ahh heck, I'm just evil tonight I guess:D:D

Let's get real.

Very few people use the wipes on the computers.

And wipes on menus -- who is going to take the time to clean them THOROUGHLY??

The waiters don't have time to do that. Especially now that they also have to take time to do cocktail orders while the wine stewards stand around doing nothing!!

It's a generational thing...if you are under 30 and tech savy...it's no big deal and you will adjust when it happens...older, more traditional cruiser types will be more resistent to change and tradition will stand in the way

But the point of doing this was to "save" on paper use. I don't see how using wipes that are basically paper to clean tablets saves on paper or supplies.

As long as the wipes are not as big as the menus, I suspect any sanitation supplies will not override the amount of paper and printing supplies used to produce so many daily menus.

Archived