4 Millie cruises now cancelled (8/23, 8/30, 9/6, 9/13)

cruisestitch

I feel sorry for all those passengers effected by this engine problem on the Millenium.

Is the Millenium prone to these sort of problems often? - I say that, because my wife & I are booked to sail on the Millenium out of Honolulu 2nd November 2013, sailing via the Tahitian Islands, Fiji & Noumea, disembarking at Sydney, Australia.

I previously sailed on Sun Princess around the Sth Pacific, and when I did a web search on similar problems, I see the Sun Princess has had problems on occasions.

Let us hope that this is a one off and does not become chronic.

I feel sorry for all those passengers effected by this engine problem on the Millenium.

Is the Millenium prone to these sort of problems often? - I say that, because my wife & I are booked to sail on the Millenium out of Honolulu 2nd November 2013, sailing via the Tahitian Islands, Fiji & Noumea, disembarking at Sydney, Australia.

I previously sailed on Sun Princess around the Sth Pacific, and when I did a web search on similar problems, I see the Sun Princess has had problems on occasions.

I guess it depends how you define "often".

I wouldn't call it often, but it's not the first time it's had propulsion problems either, so compared to some ships it is more often. (The cause this time is different from the past, but practically the outcome is still the same.)

Personally, I wouldn't have an issue sailing again on her because of this risk being particularly greater than other ships. But there are also other reasons cruises can be delayed/cancelled, so there's always a small risk too.

You have to read the pre-existing conditions section carefully. Most insurance companies effectively use scare tactics...you must buy within x days to have pre-existing conditions waived. However, if you read the policy, their definition of pre-existing conditions is quite different than what you think is a pre-existing condition...and in this case, their definition is better than yours :) If you have a medical condition and it is stable...that is, you only see your doctor on a regular basis and you have had no change in medication in the 90-180 days prior to the issuance of the policy....you do NOT have a pre-existing condition!!!!!

Yes, I do understand how that works. It took much research to get it figured out. I always say one needs a masters degree in Travel Insurance to be able to understand it. ;-)

You know, there's another way to look at this. The crew have a free cabin (albeit shared), free food and a ship absent of guests. This means they will in all likelihood be able to relax by the pool on deck for a month with minimal work to do.

If someone offered me this same deal, I don't know I'd be too upset.

I would bet those who are kept on the ship will be working.

I expect when Millie goes back into service she will have been scraped sanded and buffed.

The maintenance staff will be able to go through her top to bottom unimpeded with no passengers in the cabins.

They can replace damaged carpet and paint in public areas or steam clean her top to bottom.

I doubt Head office will view this as a vacation for those left on board. They will want Millie sparkling when she returns to the fleet as they will have to market her and reviews will be harsh and cruisers cautious.

My take anyways as we sail on her Honolulu to Singapore starting Nov 2nd. The Dw is concerned but I told her not to worry it is an opportunity for X to hit reboot!

I would bet those who are kept on the ship will be working.

I expect when Millie goes back into service she will have been scraped sanded and buffed.

The maintenance staff will be able to go through her top to bottom unimpeded with no passengers in the cabins.

They can replace damaged carpet and paint in public areas or steam clean her top to bottom.

I doubt Head office will view this as a vacation for those left on board. They will want Millie sparkling when she returns to the fleet as they will have to market her and reviews will be harsh and cruisers cautious.

My take anyways as we sail on her Honolulu to Singapore starting Nov 2nd. The Dw is concerned but I told her not to worry it is an opportunity for X to hit reboot!

I hope your optimism is rewarded, she will look fantastic with a good spruce up.:D

Archived