4 Millie cruises now cancelled (8/23, 8/30, 9/6, 9/13)

cruisestitch

Not to be argumentative, but I looked up a Travelguard policy on insuremytrip & mechanical breakdown is NOT covered...just as they said it wouldn't be when I called them. The language you cited was similar to what CSA told me as far as coverage, but Travelguard specifically told me mechanical issues are not covered. I said, "So, if your flight doesn't take off because the plane isn't operational and as a result you miss the cruise...that's not covered?" Reply: "No."

I guess it depends on which Travel Guard policy one has. I have had TG for years and they have been very good in paying several claims over the years. Once I had a mechanical issue with a plane and everything I paid for as a result was covered - hotel, food, etc.

Another time I was stranded in NY after Christmas with a huge snowstorm. Yes, weather-related issues are also covered in my plan. TG paid 99% of my claim. Part was under "trip delay" and part was under "trip interruption" so they paid more than the daily limit if it was just one of those categories. They have been incredibly good to work with.

Where have you read the FCC changes based on whether on not a flight is initiated? I haven't read that anywhere.

Those already in AK for the Aug 23 cruise were given 100% FCC. Those who hadn't departed for the cruise yet got less. That was said multiple times on these Millenium threads :)

You know, there's another way to look at this. The crew have a free cabin (albeit shared), free food and a ship absent of guests. This means they will in all likelihood be able to relax by the pool on deck for a month with minimal work to do.

If someone offered me this same deal, I don't know I'd be too upset.

Try going to your job site for a month with no income and see if you get upset. I doubt if many of the crew have the resources to meet their obligations for a month of unexpected loss of income.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I got it directly in writing from Celebrity because my sister was in Alaska already and we were about to depart...

Given this then, I wonder which would have been preferred by luv2fish. Is it worth taking a flight and being stuck in Alaska just to get an extra 50% Future Cruise Credit or are they in fact happier to have received the call prior to boarding their flight?

I think I'd still prefer to have known prior to the flight.

You know, there's another way to look at this. The crew have a free cabin (albeit shared), free food and a ship absent of guests. This means they will in all likelihood be able to relax by the pool on deck for a month with minimal work to do.

If someone offered me this same deal, I don't know I'd be too upset.

I think the crew is looking at this situation from another perspective. I'm just speculating, but I think it's fair to assume that most of them aren't very happy with knowing that a months income is lost. So many of them send money home to family.

It's very unfortunate for all those concerned.

Try going to your job site for a month with no income and see if you get upset. I doubt if many of the crew have the resources to meet their obligations for a month of unexpected loss of income.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

But they're not doing their job anymore are they? With 2000 guests missing, there are no cabins to clean, only the staff's meals to prepare, no tables to wait on or clean, no massages to give, minimal laundry to clean, no shows to perform, no drinks to prepare or serve, etc... and yet they're still housed and fed and very likely able to enjoy some of the ship facilities or at least hang on the beach in the Bahamas for a few weeks free of charge. Some would consider that a vacation.

I guess it depends on which Travel Guard policy one has. I have had TG for years and they have been very good in paying several claims over the years. Once I had a mechanical issue with a plane and everything I paid for as a result was covered - hotel, food, etc.

Another time I was stranded in NY after Christmas with a huge snowstorm. Yes, weather-related issues are also covered in my plan. TG paid 99% of my claim. Part was under "trip delay" and part was under "trip interruption" so they paid more than the daily limit if it was just one of those categories. They have been incredibly good to work with.

Yes, it may very well depend on the coverage. I just looked a more expensive TravelGuard plan & mechanical issues are covered under that one.

They sail from FL to CA all the time. They just stop in Aruba or Cartagena, as both are South America and meet the definition of a "distant foreign port."

Yes I know that. I was responding to Host Andy's "or no port" comment. There must be at least one.

Yep, I've had good sevice from both Travel Guard and Travelex.

I think the crew is looking at this situation from another perspective. I'm just speculating, but I think it's fair to assume that most of them aren't very happy with knowing that a months income is lost. So many of them send money home to family.

It's very unfortunate for all those concerned.

For ALL concerned? I'm no so sure. True some would likely prefer to work every day to make the money, but certainly there will be some who will welcome the break in duties while not having to fly home and buy/prepare their own meals for a month.

I'd venture to bet some of the spa, entertainment and front desk staff who come from wealthy countries who take contracts on ships are single and don't send money back home. For them, this may very well be viewed as a welcome break.

From the Cruise Critic news article:

Much of the crew will stay onboard the ship during the duration of the transit and dry dock, but others will depart in Ketchikan. For those staying, the line's dry dock policy protects tips for crew members who earn tips.

Yep, I've had good sevice from both Travel Guard and Travelex.

Insurance companies will pay based on the contract. If your contract doesn't state that mechanical breakdown is covered as trip interruption, then they won't pay.....it's that simple. If your travel Guard or Travelex policy says they will cover, they will cover. mechanical breakdown of the airplane getting to the cruise is different than a mechanical breakdown of the cruise ship. The key is not to trust an insurance company because you had good service from them in the past....it's to read the contract you are buying.

Generally, if it's not covered under the trip interruption section, it might be covered as trip delay with sigificantly lower payment limits...but something is better than nothing.

For ALL concerned? I'm no so sure. True some would likely prefer to work every day to make the money, but certainly there will be some who will welcome the break in duties while not having to fly home and buy/prepare their own meals for a month.

I'd venture to bet some of the spa, entertainment and front desk staff who come from wealthy countries who take contracts on ships are single and don't send money back home. For them, this may very well be viewed as a welcome break.

I debated responding to your previous posts as I couldn't believe someone would actually say such things, but since you are continuing in this vein I have to put in my two cents. Sure, there are some crew at higher levels, plus perhaps some spa or retail staff for whom this may be able to be enjoyed as a mini-unexpected vacation. But for the vast majority of crew members, if they were not to get their usual tip money and salary for this amount of time it could devastate them financially. Do you think they would leave their wives and children home for months at a time to spend their days cleaning people's bathrooms or serving them food or waiting on them hand and foot if they had money to take a four week unpaid vacation?!?! OMG, this could be the closest I have ever come to wanting to post something that would likely get me kicked off these boards for a long time to come:eek:. But I'll limit it to this - next time you are onboard, try getting to know some of your crew members, in particular the room stewards, waiter assistants, and the like. I could only hope you could then see what a huge issue this would be, if Celebrity did not make good for them (which I definitely hope they do!)

I debated responding to your previous posts as I couldn't believe someone would actually say such things, but since you are continuing in this vein I have to put in my two cents. Sure, there are some crew at higher levels, plus perhaps some spa or retail staff for whom this may be able to be enjoyed as a mini-unexpected vacation. But for the vast majority of crew members, if they were not to get their usual tip money and salary for this amount of time it could devastate them financially. Do you think they would leave their wives and children home for months at a time to spend their days cleaning people's bathrooms or serving them food or waiting on them hand and foot if they had money to take a four week unpaid vacation?!?! OMG, this could be the closest I have ever come to wanting to post something that would likely get me kicked off these boards for a long time to come:eek:. But I'll limit it to this - next time you are onboard, try getting to know some of your crew members, in particular the room stewards, waiter assistants, and the like. I could only hope you could then see what a huge issue this would be, if Celebrity did not make good for them (which I definitely hope they do!)

Great post, phoenix_dream.

Great post, phoenix_dream.

+1 The crew will suffer financially...it is unlikely that celebrity will pay them any more than their contracted wages. Yes, their food and "hotel" will still be provided, but hard to send money home when you're not making tips...and tips are the major part of their salaries for many of the crew. I would love to read a post by celebrity that said they are providing financial support for crew members who are losing tips.....now that would be a very good, positive public relations statement.

+1 The crew will suffer financially...it is unlikely that celebrity will pay them any more than their contracted wages. Yes, their food and "hotel" will still be provided, but hard to send money home when you're not making tips...and tips are the major part of their salaries for many of the crew. I would love to read a post by celebrity that said they are providing financial support for crew members who are losing tips.....now that would be a very good, positive public relations statement.

I'm just assuming that the editors here at Cruise Critic know what they are talking about when they post a news story.

Much of the crew will stay onboard the ship during the duration of the transit and dry dock, but others will depart in Ketchikan. For those staying, the line's dry dock policy protects tips for crew members who earn tips.

I'm just assuming that the editors here at Cruise Critic know what they are talking about when they post a news story.

Over the years we have run into many staff and crew that made the Infinity's trip from Acapulco to the East Coast under the exact same circumstances.

They all remember the "Staff cruise" quite well and advised that they were "Looked" after. Extremely well.

But they're not doing their job anymore are they? With 2000 guests missing, there are no cabins to clean, only the staff's meals to prepare, no tables to wait on or clean, no massages to give, minimal laundry to clean, no shows to perform, no drinks to prepare or serve, etc... and yet they're still housed and fed and very likely able to enjoy some of the ship facilities or at least hang on the beach in the Bahamas for a few weeks free of charge. Some would consider that a vacation.

I guess you do not realize that there are crew members who serve the crew their meals. How do you think the waitstaff get its experience? By serving the crew.

That has to be good news for the crew.:D

I feel sorry for all those passengers effected by this engine problem on the Millenium.

Is the Millenium prone to these sort of problems often? - I say that, because my wife & I are booked to sail on the Millenium out of Honolulu 2nd November 2013, sailing via the Tahitian Islands, Fiji & Noumea, disembarking at Sydney, Australia.

I previously sailed on Sun Princess around the Sth Pacific, and when I did a web search on similar problems, I see the Sun Princess has had problems on occasions.

Archived