4 Millie cruises now cancelled (8/23, 8/30, 9/6, 9/13)

cruisestitch

It is so sad for all involved with the cancelled cruises. Thanks to Cruisestitch and also to Host Andy for keeping us updated. GHstudio, please do not cancel your cruise just because of the issues with the Millennium. I have been told that the Infinity has a different propulsion system as well as different fuel (which is why it can still sail the Antarctic waters).:D

Ditto. It was wonderful having "advanced knowledge."

That said, I'm just crushed tonight. I have had our Pacific Coastal cruise booked since April of 2012, and I have hundreds of dollars in non-refundable airfare and some other tours and reservations. I have insurance, but I'm not sure what, if anything will be covered since this is a mechanical cancellation.

I'm very, very disappointed in Celebrity right now. To have to cancel for mechanical reasons is understandable and prudent, but to not make people whole makes me angry...this isn't an act of God, it's mechanical failure of their ship.

I'm going to spend the next couple days trying to figure out how to salvage our vacation. We have an end of September window to travel or my husband will have to forfeit some of his vacation time.

Does every affected cruises gets 100% refund plus 50% future credit?

Besides that, I am sorry, but you can´t blame Celebrity for your non-refundable arrangements made many months in advance.

Obviously, you wanted to save money (makes sence) and booked everyting non-refundable. But the situation now is the risk you have to take when looking out for non-refundable bargains. No company in the world would and will ever refund your independent, non-refundable bookings.

Besides that, I am sorry, but you can´t blame Celebrity for your non-refundable arrangements made many months in advance.

Obviously, you wanted to save money (makes sence) and booked everyting non-refundable. But the situation now is the risk you have to take when looking out for non-refundable bargains. No company in the world would and will ever refund your independent, non-refundable bookings.

And apparently also took the decision not to purchase travel insurance against the non-refundable risk.

And apparently also took the decision not to purchase travel insurance against the non-refundable risk.

Or as my post on the other thread states, believed their annual multi trip policy would fully cover this. (I am talking about UK guests here)

I am seriously bummed for those of you impacted by these cancellations. I can only imagine my disappointment if it was happening to me. Hopefully everyone is able to make some kind of lemonade out of this big pile of lemons.

We are booked on Millie in Alaska next year and know how much planning goes into these sailings.

Ryan

Does every affected cruises gets 100% refund plus 50% future credit?

You both assumed incorrectly. My arrangements are not a bargain, nor are they uninsured. I have cancel for any reason insurance. Unfortunately I don't think it covers the cruise line cancelling for mechanical failure, but we'll see when I call them later today.

No, my sailing does not get 50%.

I am seriously bummed for those of you impacted by these cancellations. I can only imagine my disappointment if it was happening to me. Hopefully everyone is able to make some kind of lemonade out of this big pile of lemons.

We are booked on Millie in Alaska next year and know how much planning goes into these sailings.

Ryan

Well said. So many people are doing their best to stay positive and adjust plans but what unfortunate events. And for those who were supposed to board tomorrow...especially frustrating.

Thanks to everyone for posting and I hope you get to enjoy some of your vacation despite the mess of this.

Thank goodness for Cruise Critic, because we are due to sail on Pacific Coastal cruise on 13 Sept and have heard NOTHING from either our travel agent (Viva Voyage) or Celebrity themselves! I was having my usual peek at the postings and saw this....:mad: Just rang VV and the young lady I spoke to said 'nothing is cancelled' !!! I then told her what I'd read and she's going to contact Celebrity and get back to me. I tried to ring helpline no. but as we're in UK, time differences make this impossible at this time. Frustrated isn't the word! We have 10 day trip in Canada (Car hire, hotels, trips, Rocky Mountaineer etc) booked prior to cruise and a post cruise stay in Dan Diego. All booked, paid for and, most likely, unrefundable. This was (and will still be!) a special occasion holiday, so can't realistically be moved. We will make the best of it but will await compensation details :confused:

I would absolutely do all the land you have planned. The week you were supposed to be on the cruise you probably can fill in with a land trip in Alaska. Is RCCL have room on any of their ships? Maybe you can get on one of their cruises? Good luck with your plans. The Rocky Mountaineer is one of the things on my bucket list. You are coming too far to cancel all your plans.

I have been told that the Infinity has a different propulsion system as well as different fuel (which is why it can still sail the Antarctic waters).:D

We also had Cruise Critic to thank nearly a decade ago when this happened to Infinity. Infinity had propulsion problems after passing through the Panama Canal, disembarked passengers in Mexico and returned through the canal without passengers for dry dock in Freeport. This happened three days before we were to embark for our cruise to Hawaii.

We were very close to booking the coastal wine cruise in September and can imagine how disappointed affected passengers feel.

Despite having purchased separate travel insurance for our flights to San Diego, we found out that to be reimbursed, the flight had to be affected, which wasn't, and did not cover the reason for the flight to a ship that never arrived..

Cruisestitch and Host Andy, thanks for your commitment to the Cruise Critic family.

Having been on the Millie in Alaska in June, I am HEARTBROKEN for all the passengers whose cruises have been cancelled. To know that all their hard work in planning and all their anticipation is now shattered...words fail me.

I wonder if any of those affected can somehow salvage all their plans and book on another cruise line? I think there were a couple of Princess ships that sailed on Friday out of Whittier. I know it's not what was planned, but it's better than not going at all.

Prayers that everyone will somehow salvage their vacations.

We also had Cruise Critic to thank nearly a decade ago when this happened to Infinity. Infinity had propulsion problems after passing through the Panama Canal, disembarked passengers in Mexico and returned through the canal without passengers for dry dock in Freeport. This happened three days before we were to embark for our cruise to Hawaii.

We were very close to booking the coastal wine cruise in September and can imagine how disappointed affected passengers feel.

Despite having purchased separate travel insurance for our flights to San Diego, we found out that to be reimbursed, the flight had to be affected, which wasn't, and did not cover the reason for the flight to a ship that never arrived..

Cruisestitch and Host Andy, thanks for your commitment to the Cruise Critic family.

Yes, CC is wonderful for when these events occur. We also looked at the pacific coastal as the Solstice cruise meant we would violate the Jones act for the next leg. We decided not to do either.:D

Hi Ghstudio,

That I can recall, until this current situation with Millennium, none of the M-Class ships have had major mechanical problems that have resulted in cancelled sailigngs, over the past few years. I could be wrong about that, but at the very least, any repair incidents have been minimal.

Frankly, I'd sail on another M-Class ship, including Millennium, in a heartbeat. I hope you keep your Infinity booking. That's a place I'd love to visit someday !

The Summit used to do the one-way Alaskan cruises before the Millennium. As I recall, one of those Alaska cruises was cancelled in 2006 due to propulsion problems. My in-laws were on the Summit in Nov. 2008 when the ship missed a port in the Med because of engine troubles.

I enjoyed my Transatlantic cruise on the Constellation in 2009, but I'd sure be leery about booking any future cruises on M-class ships. I liked the Silhouette much better, and would stick with Solstice-class ships.

I enjoyed my Transatlantic cruise on the Constellation in 2009, but I'd sure be leery about booking any future cruises on M-class ships. I liked the Silhouette much better, and would stick with Solstice-class ships.

Sorry but Solstice class can have their problems as well; we were on Reflection's inaugural TA last year when it also had propulsion problems resulting in slow running and missing a port completely.

These things will happen with anything mechanical/electrical; what matters is how the company (Celebrity) responds when an event does happen. IMHO when final payment has been taken, and they (Celebrity) cancel the cruise, they should cover all the direct losses their customers will suffer as a result of the cancellation.

We were supposed to be on the 9/13 cruise and found out thru Cruise Critic (thank you) about the cancellation. Needless to say, we are devastated, as we have had this booked since March and have done a lot of planning and made a lot of reservations. I have found out that our travel insurance was useless for things not covered by the cruiseline, because "Mechanical Failure" wasn't covered in reasons for cancellation. (Lesson learned--pay more and get "cancel for any reason coverage) X is giving a 25% FCC. Choice Air was like someone else said--future ticket credit for one year from date of ticket issue. Anyway, I guess I'm just rambling on--I think it comes down to being crushed first thing this morning. Thanks for letting me ramble on.

I just spoke with Celebrity…I’m going to post this in multiple places in the hopes it will help someone…

• I called the number on the website, and it was not the correct number. The representative redirected me to 1-866-521-7245, but they weren’t open yet so she gave me the basic information.

• They will help you rebook, but there is no price protection…you’ll have to pay the going rate. There is no reason to call immediately unless you are trying to get rebooked.

• Up to $200 per person in airline change fees will be covered. Send receipts to:

Celebrity Cruises

Attn: Corporate Guest Relations/Millennium 2013

1050 Caribbean Way Miami, FL 33132

• I asked if there was a possibility of joining one of the Century land tours leaving from Vancouver around the same time, but I was told they won’t do that.

• Refunds should be processed within 3-5 days, and an FCC issued within 6-8 weeks. For my September 13th sailing it’s 25%. I forgot to ask if that can be applied to a cruise that’s already booked, but I’ll check on that later when the rush dies down.

Off to work on Plan B!:rolleyes:

I think it would depend on the insurance policy, X will cover the cruise but the insurance would pick up all the extras.:D

I didn't say no insurance policy would cover it.

However, like cruisenut and sevenseas1492 experienced, I would not count on "insurance picking up the extras." I would say most general travel insurance policies would not cover this. :D

The Summit used to do the one-way Alaskan cruises before the Millennium. As I recall, one of those Alaska cruises was cancelled in 2006 due to propulsion problems. My in-laws were on the Summit in Nov. 2008 when the ship missed a port in the Med because of engine troubles.

Further to that, it was just over 4 years ago when Millennium cruises in AU/NZ had to be cancelled due to propulsion problems.

These guys a real bunch of cheap skates. 25% of my cruise fair is nothing (I got a special on this ship for 499) I have all sorts of trips planned that I have to cancel along with air stuff.

I have to schedule time off weeks in advance and can't change once scheduled. I guess I will just stay home. I am really upset

I probably will never travel with Celebrity again. They will not even let me apply this saving to a RCL ship leaving about the same time.

These guys a real bunch of cheap skates. 25% of my cruise fair is nothing (I got a special on this ship for 499) I have all sorts of trips planned that I have to cancel along with air stuff.

I have to schedule time off weeks in advance and can't change once scheduled. I guess I will just stay home. I am really upset

I probably will never travel with Celebrity again. They will not even let me apply this saving to a RCL ship leaving about the same time.

Mechanical problems happen...Celebrity did not plan this...it's not personal. As I said in another thread, IMHO, they have a moral (but not legal) obligation to make you financially whole....but they don't have anything other than a marketing obligation to compensate you for your aggravation, time spent planning, etc. and everyone's view of what's fair in their case is different. They put a stake in the ground and some/many/few (take your pick) will think that's a fair offer.

You haven't left home yet.....those that are already in the air have a whole different set of issues/problems/costs to deal with. You're actually in far better shape than those who have already left.

This will probably get moved but I put it here as Celebrity is part of the Royal family. Guess they finally decided to quick monkeying around with the engines and get it fixed properly. Look to be giving decent compensation. An extra cruise for those that haven't even set foot on the ship yet. :)

Celebrity says passengers booked on one of the canceled cruises will receive a full refund as well as a certificate for a future cruise.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2013/08/21/celebrity-cruises-cancelled-repairs/2680185/

Archived