4 Millie cruises now cancelled (8/23, 8/30, 9/6, 9/13)

cruisestitch

Wouw that seems to be a major problem with the engines of Milli! 4 weeks- drydock. That is a lot! I feel sorry for those affected- since I know how many time it takes to plan, to arrange not to mention how one looks forward to long planed vacation! I hope they can jump to other ships within the fleet!

Michael

Wouw that seems to be a major problem with the engines of Milli! 4 weeks- drydock. That is a lot! I feel sorry for those affected- since I know how many time it takes to plan, to arrange not to mention how one looks forward to long planed vacation! I hope they can jump to other ships within the fleet!

Michael

So sorry for those who had planned to sail. Yes, you're right---all the steam fizzles from that vacation anticipation. In 2001, Milli's 1st season, she missed ports right & left because of propulsion problems. I know because we were looking forward to buying amber in the Dominican Republic, and it's one of the stops we missed on our cruise. San Juan, I think, was another. After our cruise, she ended up in Newport News ship yard where they tried to get the problem resolved. Sad to hear she's still having problems.

So disappointed... it was going to be the first cruise for 4 of my part of 6, and only the second for the other two, including myself.

Now I think we are going to stay away from cruising for a while.

Don't give up on cruising because of this incident. I've been on over 30 cruises and have never had one cancelled.

So sorry for those who had planned to sail. Yes, you're right---all the steam fizzles from that vacation anticipation. In 2001, Milli's 1st season, she missed ports right & left because of propulsion problems. I know because we were looking forward to buying amber in the Dominican Republic, and it's one of the stops we missed on our cruise. San Juan, I think, was another. After our cruise, she ended up in Newport News ship yard where they tried to get the problem resolved. Sad to hear she's still having problems.

Does the infinity also have pod problems. Seriously considering cancelling our Antarctica cruise.

Don't give up on cruising because of this incident. I've been on over 30 cruises and have never had one cancelled.

It's not that we think it will happen to us again, it's just the timing of getting the right price, the right itinerary, time off from work, and the stigma.

I literally spent my last 6 months planning this thing for 6 adults with different interests etc. and I just lost all of that. There is no refund that effort.

Does the infinity also have pod problems. Seriously considering cancelling our Antarctica cruise.

Hi Ghstudio,

That I can recall, until this current situation with Millennium, none of the M-Class ships have had major mechanical problems that have resulted in cancelled sailigngs, over the past few years. I could be wrong about that, but at the very least, any repair incidents have been minimal.

Frankly, I'd sail on another M-Class ship, including Millennium, in a heartbeat. I hope you keep your Infinity booking. That's a place I'd love to visit someday !

In case you've missed it, here's Celebrity's post from the other thread :

Hi all,

We have important news for guests who are booked to sail on upcoming cruises on Celebrity Millennium. Please read this update.

A mechanical issue has made it necessary for us to perform unscheduled repairs on Celebrity Millennium. As a result, we are sorry to inform guests that we have had to cancel the following sailings:

• August 23, 2013 – cancelled

• August 30, 2013 – cancelled

• September 6, 2013 – cancelled

• September 13, 2013 – cancelled

We are deeply sorry for this unexpected and disappointing development in our guests’ upcoming vacation.

If you are booked on one of the cancelled sailings, Celebrity Cruises will provide you with a full, 100% refund. For your convenience, all monies paid will automatically be processed back to the original form of payment within the next three weeks. Celebrity Cruises will also provide you with a future cruise certificate. This certificate may be used for a future cruise on Celebrity Cruises.

Guests booked on the August 23 sailing may call 1-888-829-4050 for additional information. Those calling from outside the U.S. can call 1-305-539-6000 ext. 48846.

Guests booked on the August 30, September 6 and September 13 sailing may call 1-888-281-9343 for additional information. Those calling from outside the U.S. can call 1-305-539-6000 ext. 48155.

Please accept our sincere apology for your inconvenience. We hope to welcome you aboard soon.

It's not that we think it will happen to us again, it's just the timing of getting the right price, the right itinerary, time off from work, and the stigma.

I literally spent my last 6 months planning this thing for 6 adults with different interests etc. and I just lost all of that. There is no refund that effort.

I certainly understand, I'm a planner as well (I booked my July 2014 vacation rentals in December of 2012-my friends think I'm nuts). But hopefully you and your party will be able to cruise at another time. I am so sorry this happend to you and your family/friends.

I would just like to thank Cruisestitch for keeping people on the boards informed. You are a great example of exactly what is so good about cruise critic. I am not affected by any of the cancellations, but I do know what my stress levels would be now if I were. Very nice job.

I would just like to thank Cruisestitch for keeping people on the boards informed. You are a great example of exactly what is so good about cruise critic. I am not affected by any of the cancellations, but I do know what my stress levels would be now if I were. Very nice job.

I second that Anne. Cruisestich is onboard Millennium, and must be dealing with a million items, and yet - made time for us. That's exactly what makes Cruise Critic so wonderful !

Ditto. It was wonderful having "advanced knowledge."

That said, I'm just crushed tonight. I have had our Pacific Coastal cruise booked since April of 2012, and I have hundreds of dollars in non-refundable airfare and some other tours and reservations. I have insurance, but I'm not sure what, if anything will be covered since this is a mechanical cancellation.

I'm very, very disappointed in Celebrity right now. To have to cancel for mechanical reasons is understandable and prudent, but to not make people whole makes me angry...this isn't an act of God, it's mechanical failure of their ship.

I'm going to spend the next couple days trying to figure out how to salvage our vacation. We have an end of September window to travel or my husband will have to forfeit some of his vacation time.

Hi Ghstudio,

That I can recall, until this current situation with Millennium, none of the M-Class ships have had major mechanical problems that have resulted in cancelled sailigngs, over the past few years. I could be wrong about that, but at the very least, any repair incidents have been minimal.

Frankly, I'd sail on another M-Class ship, including Millennium, in a heartbeat. I hope you keep your Infinity booking. That's a place I'd love to visit someday !

Neither can I recall cancelled sailings, but there are several reports of pod/propulsion problems on the M ships resulting in missed ports; and if I understand ghstudio correctly, that was the gist of the question and concern. Of course, I could be wrong. But personally, I would hate to find myself in Antarctica on a ship with a mechanical problem no matter how minor.

We may still head up to Vancouver on Sept 12th and spend a few days there; but if we ever get to use the future cruise credit, it will be on a Solstice class ship.

Some even called Milli- my favorite X- Ship, by the way- the doomed ship! Such dissapointment for all those who planed so long in advance! Is there no other ship around Cincy- on which you could jump last minute?

I remember well the uproar on board Summit when they canceled just one day and the cruise after us got canceled all together, due to the same problem.

Very surprising that can not fix them once and for all! Must be a major problem since four weeks is a long time for staying in dry dock- even longer than it took them to Solstice thir M- class! Maybe they should have taken a closer look at their engines.

Ditto. It was wonderful having "advanced knowledge."

That said, I'm just crushed tonight. I have had our Pacific Coastal cruise booked since April of 2012, and I have hundreds of dollars in non-refundable airfare and some other tours and reservations. I have insurance, but I'm not sure what, if anything will be covered since this is a mechanical cancellation.

I'm very, very disappointed in Celebrity right now. To have to cancel for mechanical reasons is understandable and prudent, but to not make people whole makes me angry...this isn't an act of God, it's mechanical failure of their ship.

I'm going to spend the next couple days trying to figure out how to salvage our vacation. We have an end of September window to travel or my husband will have to forfeit some of his vacation time.

Cindy, I dont have much to add, other than to say I certainly understand your frustration. As for your air, it's probably not a total loss, as I hope you are only on the hook for change fees, and you can use the air at a later date. I hope your insurance will cover the bulk of any losses.

As far as Celebrity goes, If I may offer something to consider... the news broke around 9 pm eastern time. IMO, a few things are fuzzy, but to avoid any confusion, I'd rather not get into all of the questions swirling in my head. Perhaps there will be additional updates tomorrow, and things will be more sensible.

I truly hope you can salvage your vacation, and I wish you all the best !

I second that Anne. Cruisestich is onboard Millennium, and must be dealing with a million items, and yet - made time for us. That's exactly what makes Cruise Critic so wonderful !

I am a bit of a cheerleader now and then but yes.... when the seagull hits the fan and the "X" rep (Cruisestich) posts... I'm impressed.

Cindy, I dont have much to add, other than to say I certainly understand your frustration. As for your air, it's probably not a total loss, as I hope you are only on the hook for change fees, and you can use the air at a later date. I hope your insurance will cover the bulk of any losses.

As far as Celebrity goes, If I may offer something to consider... the news broke around 9 pm eastern time. IMO, a few things are fuzzy, but to avoid any confusion, I'd rather not get into all of the questions swirling in my head. Perhaps there will be additional updates tomorrow, and things will be more sensible.

I truly hope you can salvage your vacation, and I wish you all the best !

Thanks, Andy. I'm just very upset and frustrated tonight.:( We were cruising with my 81-year-old mother, and I've spent weeks on the internet making reservations and planning this trip so it would be special.

I have a ton of questions, and I want to make sure I have my thoughts together before I call. This is my first time to have to deal with a cancellation, and unfortunately I don't feel particularly warm and fuzzy about the financial hit I think I'm going to take. A 25% FCC isn't going to cover the money I think I'm going to lose on this cancellation, nor does it make up for losing my free beverage package and OBC.

Money aside, it's going to take me a few days to get over the disappointment. We were really looking forward to this trip. That's the worst part of it.

I feel so with you Cindy- even if they come to their right minds for covering your costs- all the time you invested. I just saw on your Roll Call ( I lurked- I admit it) and how busy it was- how well planed everyting was- oh well- the best laid plans...!

All the best

Michael

Add me to the very disappointed. Special trip, first class air booked 9 days of land booked mostly non refundable. Do I just do the land part and cut the vacation in half or take the hit to cancel everything?

Add to that the fact that I run my own business and getting two weeks off took major work to arrange. Highly unlikely I'll pull it off again anytime soon.

Very frustrated and really don't have the time to finish up in the office to get away AND try to rearrange everything.

Guest Snorkelbunny

I was on the cancelled September 13th wine cruise. 25+ cruises and this is the first issue ever. Lots of unbooking of independent excursions, hotels, and airfare to be done, plus trying to figure out what else we can do with absolutely no wiggle room in our vacay dates. I understand the frustration, but I'm just going to make the best of it. What else can I do, but cry:-(

I am so so sorry to read about how the long looked forward holiday plans of many are now in ruins. I so feel for some from the UK who may be en route or will be going to their departure airports this morning full of excitement and anticipation. UK airfares are typically non refundable at this stage (unless someone bought an expensive changeable ticket, but few do at holiday time), I do hope Celebrity ensure everyone who has a fare, hotel or other bonanza fide pre booked cost has it refunded

And hugs to all affected

Archived