4 Millie cruises now cancelled (8/23, 8/30, 9/6, 9/13)

cruisestitch

This will probably get moved but I put it here as Celebrity is part of the Royal family. Guess they finally decided to quick monkeying around with the engines and get it fixed properly. Look to be giving decent compensation. An extra cruise for those that haven't even set foot on the ship yet. :)

I hope you're right, but I seem to remember propulsion problems on the Millie all the way back to when she was new. She's sorta the Carnival Destiny of the Celebrity fleet.

I feel fortunate that my Alaskan cruise just 2 months ago on Millie went off without a hitch. I feel really bad for these people who had their cruise cut short after all that palnning and excitement.

Wouw that seems to be a major problem with the engines of Milli! 4 weeks- drydock. T

Michael

It will take Millennium well over a week to sail to Freeport through the canal from Alaska.

I would have booked a slow cruise.. if the price was right.. pickup in Vancouver disembark in Miami eventually prior to dry dock

I feel sorry for all the staff members as well who will go a month without gratuities.

Making Lemonade Report -- Host Andy, I'm posting this on both Millie threads...if you want me to stop double posting just let me know. I thought it might be helpful to everybody with cancellations to see what's out there if your vacation dates are set in stone.

We're booked on HAL Westerdam to Alaska round-trip from Seattle on September 14th. That was easiest for us since we can keep the outbound part of our airfare and just rebook the flight home. We're keeping our pre-cruise reservations for Whistler and our Vancouver arrangements...I just have to figure out transportation to Seattle and a hotel for one night. Mom is still going, so all is not lost. I even decided to live dangerously and take a suite guarantee for the price of a verandah. I decided I need a little more excitement and drama in my life! HA! Just kidding, but I did decide at this point I have nothing to lose!

Sigh...it's not the vacation I was planning but it's vacation! Now I have to figure out how to plan Alaska excursions in 3 weeks!

We're going to cancel our Solstice Alaska bookings for next August and either book the Pacific Coastal for next year or maybe Europe with our FCC.

Sending good thoughts to all those affected and hoping they'll still have some quality vacation time.

If any of you feel the need to VENT and/or COMMISERATE, please come here and we'll all listen...... :(

It will take Millennium well over a week to sail to Freeport through the canal from Alaska.

I would have booked a slow cruise.. if the price was right.. pickup in Vancouver disembark in Miami eventually prior to dry dock

I feel sorry for all the staff members as well who will go a month without gratuities.

Excellent points Arno. I'm wondering if Celebrity will add a FL - San Diego sailing, once repairs are made, though I suspect if they do, it will be with few or no port calls, as they need to get ML back to the West Coast in a hurry.

Regarding the crew... most everyone on here (understandably) wants to talk about what relates to them, but we should also consider that the crew has a fairly low compensation plan, and rely on gratuities. An empty ship financially hurts them badly. I've also thought about that, and hope that Celebrity will help make up at least some of their losses - Wishful thinking probabaly.

Making Lemonade Report -- Host Andy, I'm posting this on both Millie threads...if you want me to stop double posting just let me know. I thought it might be helpful to everybody with cancellations to see what's out there if your vacation dates are set in stone.

We're booked on HAL Westerdam to Alaska round-trip from Seattle on September 14th. That was easiest for us since we can keep the outbound part of our airfare and just rebook the flight home. We're keeping our pre-cruise reservations for Whistler and our Vancouver arrangements...I just have to figure out transportation to Seattle and a hotel for one night. Mom is still going, so all is not lost. I even decided to live dangerously and take a suite guarantee for the price of a verandah. I decided I need a little more excitement and drama in my life! HA! Just kidding, but I did decide at this point I have nothing to lose!

Sigh...it's not the vacation I was planning but it's vacation! Now I have to figure out how to plan Alaska excursions in 3 weeks!

We're going to cancel our Solstice Alaska bookings for next August and either book the Pacific Coastal for next year or maybe Europe with our FCC.

Check Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle. I haven't done it, but have read it's a beautiful train ride.

Sending good thoughts to all those affected and hoping they'll still have some quality vacation time.

If any of you feel the need to VENT and/or COMMISERATE, please come here and we'll all listen...... :(

Agreed Julia. To those on the affected sailings... we all are disappointed about your situation, but I must ask our wonderful community to be respectful :) . A few posts were deleted last night, with vulgarities in them. We may not agree with everything Celebrity is doing at the moment - but vulgarities WILL not be tolerated, and will be removed from the discussion.

Thanks everyone for your understanding.

Hi Cindy,

In this particular case, I'm perfectly fine with it, as this is helpful information. I realize this is not what you had planned, but I'm so happy that you found an alternate option, as you had time limitations. Great job !

BTW, My apologies for the 2 threads. Normally, I'd merge them, but after reading every post in both threads, I felt that if I merged them, it would become a jumbled mess. Therefore, I'm leaving them both as is. When one thread slows down, I will probably lock it, so we can return the conversation to one thread only.

I hope that makes sense. Thanks again everyone !

I just spoke with Celebrity…I’m going to post this in multiple places in the hopes it will help someone…

• I called the number on the website, and it was not the correct number. The representative redirected me to 1-866-521-7245, but they weren’t open yet so she gave me the basic information.

• They will help you rebook, but there is no price protection…you’ll have to pay the going rate. There is no reason to call immediately unless you are trying to get rebooked.

• Up to $200 per person in airline change fees will be covered. Send receipts to:

Celebrity Cruises

Attn: Corporate Guest Relations/Millennium 2013

1050 Caribbean Way Miami, FL 33132

• I asked if there was a possibility of joining one of the Century land tours leaving from Vancouver around the same time, but I was told they won’t do that.

• Refunds should be processed within 3-5 days, and an FCC issued within 6-8 weeks. For my September 13th sailing it’s 25%. I forgot to ask if that can be applied to a cruise that’s already booked, but I’ll check on that later when the rush dies down.

Off to work on Plan B!:rolleyes:

We were on this sailing with you too. We are looking at options too. Looked at Solstice and it would be another $1066 per person since they are sold out of lesser categories. We might either do this itin as a "land cruise or sail on RCI Oasis or Jewel as both cruises are less expensive and the refund would cover the additional airfare. So our FCC is only 25% and not a free cruise? Celebrity did not tell me that.

I agree, Arno! One of the most beautiful (perfect weather) sailings we've ever done was Millie's post-Alaska repo (down the Pacific coast), last September! Feel so badly for the folks who are missing that one, this year! :(

Regarding the crew... most everyone on here (understandably) wants to talk about what relates to them, but we should also consider that the crew has a fairly low compensation plan, and rely on gratuities. An empty ship financially hurts them badly. I've also thought about that, and hope that Celebrity will help make up at least some of their losses - Wishful thinking probabaly.

I've also been thinking about the crew and hope that they are compensated, at least in part, for their lost wages. What happens with those whose contracts expire during the period of dry dock? My guess is that they will be sent home. Will some incur higher airfares? Remember, waiters and cabin attendants pay for their flights. Celebrity pays for officers.

I would recommend the train from Vancouver to Seattle. I can't remember if there is one in the morning, but there is one in the evening. We did this after our Millie cruise and it really was a beautiful relaxing ride. We did get in around 10pm though. If you have a AAA card, be sure and use it. It saved us a good chunk of change.

Glad to see that you will still be able to experience Alaska. Maybe not in the way you had originally planned but you still get to have that experience with your mother. I, too, took my mom to Alaska and that only enhanced our experience - we still laugh heartily about many things that happened on vacation.

Enjoy your cruise and the time with your mom.

Making Lemonade Report. I just have to figure out transportation to Seattle and a hotel for one night. Mom is still going, so all is not lost. I even decided to live dangerously and take a suite guarantee for the price of a verandah. I decided I need a little more excitement and drama in my life! HA! Just kidding, but I did decide at this point I have nothing to lose!

Cindy, it's good to hear that you are moving forward with other plans. The Amtrak ride from Vancouver to Seattle is really nice...along the water for part of the trip. The Seattle station is in downtown Seattle, so you should be able to pick up a taxi to your hotel or the ship with no problems. I hope this new journey and cruise is a great one for you!!

I, too, feel very sorry for all of the passengers on the one now and cancelled upcoming cruises. We all save and plan for months for these adventures.

My heart goes out to the crew on Millie. As someone else has posted, the loss of tips will be financially difficult for many of them. Also the companies in Alaska that provide tours both for the ship and private touring are going to lose a lot of money with these cancellations and this is at the end of their season...this can be financially devastating for many.

~~Judy

Add me to the very disappointed. Special trip, first class air booked 9 days of land booked mostly non refundable. Do I just do the land part and cut the vacation in half or take the hit to cancel everything?

Add to that the fact that I run my own business and getting two weeks off took major work to arrange. Highly unlikely I'll pull it off again anytime soon.

Very frustrated and really don't have the time to finish up in the office to get away AND try to rearrange everything.

When we visited Alaska (some time ago), we spent about 10 days driving around the interior before taking a cruise from Seward to Vancouver (Glacier Bay, Inside Passage, etc.). While the cruise was enjoyable, the land part of our trip was far and away the best, hands down. Alaska is spectacular, and what you get to see from a ship is so very little (not to mention that where you are is not the heart of Alaska).

I'm sorry that your cruise plans have been ruined, but I hope you will take the trip and enjoy (maybe even expand) the land part. Not sure where you were planning to go, but if, for example, you go to Seward, you can take a one-day Kenai Fjords National Park boat trip that will get you up close to glaciers and wildlife, on a small boat, better than on a large cruise ship. And in Seward itself you can walk right up to Exit Glacier.

Being on land in Alaska is fantastic. I hope you can still pull off a great trip.

We were on Navigator of the Seas last month and spoke with one of the bar servers who'd been on Grandeur and still had a lot of friends on Grandeur at the time of the fire. We asked what happened about the gratuities, which they obviously rely on, and he said that Royal Caribbean were compensating them for lack of gratuities. Since Celebrity is part of the same company hopefully they are doing likewise.

We sailed on Millennium through the canal last October and are (hopefully) sailing on her in November this year. We met some lovely people on board and my heart goes out to them - and to those people who are losing their much-planned vacations.

I'm not sure that travel insurance would cover this risk of the cruise line cancelling.

GOOD insurance companies certainly do. I was booked on the Infinity a few years ago that broke down in the Panama Canal. They disembarked everyone in Acapulco and cancelled the cruise going to Hawaii and also the one returning from Hawaii to Ensenada. We were booked on the cruise FROM Hawaii. EVERYTHING that was not covered by Celebrity and was non refundable was covered by our insurance-it was a Travelex policy.

You both assumed incorrectly. My arrangements are not a bargain, nor are they uninsured. I have cancel for any reason insurance. Unfortunately I don't think it covers the cruise line cancelling for mechanical failure, but we'll see when I call them later today.

No, my sailing does not get 50%.

You state in one line you have "cancel for any reason insurance" then follow with "unfortunately I don't think it covers the cruise line for canceling for mechanical failure" Are not those two statements diametrically opposed?

Add me to the very disappointed. Special trip, first class air booked 9 days of land booked mostly non refundable. Do I just do the land part and cut the vacation in half or take the hit to cancel everything?

Add to that the fact that I run my own business and getting two weeks off took major work to arrange. Highly unlikely I'll pull it off again anytime soon.

Very frustrated and really don't have the time to finish up in the office to get away AND try to rearrange everything.

Go and enjoy Alaska. Other than the relaxation on a cruise ship, JMHO, you will enjoy spending more time on land than all the very touristy cruise ports. Seward/Homer and other parts of the Kenai offer as much as the cruise ports-bears, puffins, glaciers, whales, spectacular scenery.

Or take a walk on the wild side and book a trip with Northern Alaska to Prudhoe. THAT is something most people NEVER see. You will get to see one of most environmentally conscious areas of the entire world even if it is OIL. Enjoy!!!!

You state in one line you have "cancel for any reason insurance" the follow with "unfortunately I don't think it covers the cruise line for canceling for mechanical failure" Are not those two statements diametrically opposed?

Several people have reported that their insurance, which they assumed or which was described as "cancel for any reason", contains specific provisions that may not cover this set of facts. I doubt most of the policies referred to on these boards as "cancel for any reason" are truly that all-encompassing -- I seem to think it is similar to people calling the premium alcohol drink package an "all-inclusive" package.

Several people have reported that their insurance, which they assumed or which was described as "cancel for any reason", contains specific provisions that may not cover this set of facts. I doubt most of the policies referred to on these boards as "cancel for any reason" are truly that all-encompassing -- I seem to think it is similar to people calling the premium alcohol drink package an "all-inclusive" package.

You could be correct if it was a "cancel for any reason" cruise line policy. Those policies are written to the specifications of the cruise line, much like Sears buys their Kenmore brand from Whirlpool, Frigidaire, KitchenAid,etc, etc. manufactured to THEIR specifications.

Total trip cancellations due to mechanical breakdown, illness, etc. etc. are what you purchase insurance for. Private third party insurance rarely will exclude a mechanical breakdown other than missed ports (for which you may only be covered for non refundable excursions or other non refundable expenses).

Archived