Who Remembers these ships sailing from Oz?

I remember seeing friends off on the Oriana, from Wellington NZ, in the late 1960s or early 1970s. They were going to England, lucky them. This was in the days when visitors were allowed to board the ship to have a look around. I was so envious and, since then, have always wanted to cruise. First ocean cruise coming up in December :D

The Oriana was less than ten years old then, I guess.

Possibly the oddest we sailed on was the Cunard Crown Monarch, a small vessel of abour 16000 tonnes that came about when Cunard took over Crown Lines. I think she did only one season here and we had a great cruise up through Cairns to Samarai Is in PNG, probably the last non-expedition cruise ship to visit PNG until P & O recently.

Does anyone remember sailing on her or others like Princess Mahsuri, the Minghua, the Big Red Boat or any of the other odd little vessels that have done a season or two out of Australia?

Hi ,

I sailed on a heap of ships ...check my cruise history...2 i really liked were shaw savilles Ocean Monach & Northern Star.The old Canberrs was a grand ship.

Hi all,

We cruised on the Canberra in August 1970 - had booked for a 3 day trip but it was overbooked and they offered us a 10 day trip instead (and no extra!) Just as well we went on the 10 dayer, as a Sydney football team (over the Spit Bridge - a clue as to their identity!) had their end of season break-up on the 3 dayer and destroyed the Teenagers area (:confused::eek:) and threw a lot of the recliners overboard! The Canberra, by the way, was still a 2 class ship.

Then 1975, and we travelled on the Fairsky (way down the very bottom of the boat - shared loos down the hall, for 49 days to Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Honiara, Singapore, Hong Kong, 3 ports in Japan and home via Brisbane! We'd seen it advertised 13 months earlier, they wanted $50 deposit each, $750 each for us 2 adults, and $375 each for the kids. I actually went back to full time work to pay for it! :(

That started our love of cruising, and it's only been work that has slowed us down! Aw, memories, memories ;)

After the obligatory working holiday in the UK in the 70's, I sailed home on the old Chandris Lines, Australis - at a cost of 13 times my weekly gross salary in a shared 6 berth inside cabin without facilities.

I must admit that the full fare paying Aussies partied hard when we found out that the £10 Poms were in twin share cabins with facilities - right under the dance floors. They eventually joined us!

Oh boy!! When I think back to those shared grotty bathrooms with the

wooden slats on the floor, the baths were huge but it was salt water in them ugh. Being young and single in the mid sixties I had a blast and didn't mind

being in a six berth cabin and of course we were always in the bowels of the

ship, those were the days hey.

My first cruise was on the Himalaya when I was a child, then 2 years later on the Fairsky.

In between my mum entered a telegraph newspaper competition & won a cruise on the Himalaya for her & dad!

My mum recently went on Radiance of the Seas for her first cruise since the 1970's & I told her she wouldn't believe how cruise ships have changed - she was blown away - just no bunk beds is a great start!

she sure is

she had a full rebuild to comply with current regs in 2003 I think

this is due to her being one of few with an ice strengthened hull

cheers

Greg:)

I think I remember she used to do trips to Antarctica from South America. She was advertised as the safest , due to the strong hull. I think Sir Ed Hillary used to take tours from the ship and give talks on board.

I remember the seeing the Minghua whilst in Noumea in the 80's. Also did the Alexander Pushkin and the Angelina Lauro in the 70's as a child.

Yes times have changed!

At least it wasn't the Achille Lauro. You were lucky if you survived a cruise on that jinx ship

• 9 years later...
On 3/1/2014 at 4:46 PM, Gerko said:

At least it wasn't the Achille Lauro. You were lucky if you survived a cruise on that jinx ship

After a cruise on Angelino Lauro from Sydney to Perth in 1971, I didn't cruise for 30 years.  This was after memorable half world cruises to and from London on Chandris Queen Frederica and P&O Chusan.

for some reason the names "Mikael Sholokov" and "Alexander Pushkin" ring a bell.

DW recalls a cruise on AP with her aunt as a 13 or 14 y.o. and waitresses with green eve shadow and being served Grasshoppers wirhout any questions. 

My family emigrated from the UK to Australia in 1973 where we made the several month's long trip (3??) aboard the SS Britannis of the Chandris line.  The sailing past Cape of Good Hope was nerve wracking with large swells and some engine problems.  To add

to the comedy someone on board had decided that  "The Poseideon Adventure" was a good movie to show in the ship's cinema. 

Said to my wife how do you fancy going to Australia, she casually "said okay then ". We emigrated from London UK to Australia in 1969 on the Sitma Fairsky as a 27 year old  with 2 Little ones.  Now 81 years old !!! how time flys. Best thing we ever did.😊

Edited by JohnGc
  • Like 3