Rick Steves on a Princess Cruise

ContemporaryTraveler

Thanks for posting! Love Rick Steves and we have used and enjoyed his books and walking tours for our past cruises. Will have to get his new Baltic / cruise guide. Hopefully will be available for tablets.

Thanks for posting! Love Rick Steves and we have used and enjoyed his books and walking tours for our past cruises. Will have to get his new Baltic / cruise guide. Hopefully will be available for tablets.

i am planning on getting a tablet someday -

jim said i should before our baltics cruise

it would be nice to have rick's new book on it

cuz it looks quite hefty !!:eek:

i am planning on getting a tablet someday -

jim said i should before our baltics cruise

it would be nice to have rick's new book on it

cuz it looks quite hefty !!:eek:

His Northern book is "only" 1146 pages & Med is 1271. The last time I checked he was selling a binder-type of thing for a couple of dollars designed to hold only the pages necessary for a trip. It would be like a smaller version of his guidebooks & is easier to bring only the pages we want & to leave the others at home. :)

It looked like a plastic "clip" on the left side which I used in my youth for term papers.

Interesting ......... thx. for sharing.

If you're referring the the binder, it's a "Guidebook Page Binder" for $2.99...remove the pages you want, insert in a protective binder cover & slide the plastic binder spine to create a lighter & smaller version of his guidebooks and you could even combine other books together up to 1/4" thick per binder.

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=126&id=528

Maybe he wants to run for Mayor of New York. ;););)

If Rick doesnt mind a move north a few miles and then east by a few 1000 km, he might consider running for Toronto mayor...there may be An opening soon :rolleyes:

He's already been on RCI and Celebrity in the Med, and has written a book aimed at people cruising to those ports. Guess he's just expanding his market, along with his waistline.:p

Saw a cruise book in the video. I didn't know he wrote books about cruising. Good to know.:)

Thanks for sharing. I'm a big Rick Steve's fan but have always considered it a drawback that he was so disdained by cruising. Even his Mediterranean cruise book felt like "if you have to cruise" at times. Sounds like he finally gets it :)

Yes, he gets it...it's called the bottom line. He's always looking for a new way to make a buck.

Hillslife - I'm pretty sure it's "tighty whities" not "tidy whities". ;)

Jazzbeau - Hilarious!!!! :D

He's definitely changing his mind... whether his motivation is the bottom line or his personal comfort or something else. His whole philosophy is 'travel through the back door', meaning live, eat and travel like a local. Locals don't cruise.

We love using Rick's books for sightseeing and some transportation advice, but we always ignore his hotel advice (never saw a hotel he recommended that didn't have some 'comfort' issues) and often his food advice (any place he recommends to eat is always swamped with tourists). Frankly, if he chooses to cruise and focus more on the sightseeing than the hotels and food, I'm going to be more interested in his books.

But I'm waiting for him to comment about eating on the cruise ship versus eating 'like a local', and being in an 'American' environment while in Europe. I think it will be hilarious! :D

He doesn't travel with an entourage, it's him, a cameraman and his producer. That's it. He uses local people for info sometimes but they are not part of his "crew." He actually writes the entire show and his books, not ghostwritten by someone else. They schlepp all their own stuff which is why he firmly believes in the 1 bag travel. Everyone (all 3 of them) carries their own personal bag as well as the camera, and equipment, and laptop.

He doesn't travel with an entourage, it's him, a cameraman and his producer. That's it. He uses local people for info sometimes but they are not part of his "crew." He actually writes the entire show and his books, not ghostwritten by someone else. They schlepp all their own stuff which is why he firmly believes in the 1 bag travel. Everyone (all 3 of them) carries their own personal bag as well as the camera, and equipment, and laptop.

That's what I thought but I wasn't positive so didn't post it.

My experience has been different than 'helenb' & I stayed at a small hotel he recommended in Rome (Oceania) & it was excellent. Ratings on Trip Advisor were the same, his son Andy was staying there & it's shown in his latest show on Rome. His recommendation of the Giorgio in Civitavecchia was another good one for a pre-cruise overnight stay.

He's definitely changing his mind... whether his motivation is the bottom line or his personal comfort or something else. His whole philosophy is 'travel through the back door', meaning live, eat and travel like a local. Locals don't cruise.
That's why we're looking forward to his experiences - I bet he doesn't book a single ship's excursion, but ventures out to make people contact on his own. We like the "on your own" excursions, and just need research as to what is available.

That's why we're looking forward to his experiences - I bet he doesn't book a single ship's excursion, but ventures out to make people contact on his own. We like the "on your own" excursions, and just need research as to what is available.

We like to do the same thing & his cruise ports books have helped us enjoy the ports more fully.

It appears that he has an Aloha deck balcony...maybe he should read CC to know about the larger Caribe deck balconies? ;)

Or maybe he wanted more privacy? He's so popular that at the end of his shows he has bloopers of people ruining a shot by saying "hello Rick" and also has his mistakes to laugh at himself. He seems very friendly as was his son Andy when we met him last year.

We like to do the same thing & his cruise ports books have helped us enjoy the ports more fully.

It appears that he has an Aloha deck balcony...maybe he should read CC to know about the larger Caribe deck balconies? ;)

Or maybe he wanted more privacy? He's so popular that at the end of his shows he has bloopers of people ruining a shot by saying "hello Rick" and also has his mistakes to laugh at himself. He seems very friendly as was his son Andy when we met him last year.

Hi AstroFlyer, ol' friend. I think he's actually in an Baja balcony because you can see the double-wide panels of Caribe deck just below him and the uncovered balconies of Dolphin just below that. I re-wound the recording several times to check it out in slo-mo.

And to echo and agree with a point that I think was posted by you, he indeed does not ever have a large crew/several vans: just him, his camerman and his producer in one car.

Thank you for sharing that information and the link ! I am a big fan of this travel shows information and I trust he will bring us very interesting cruising info . His packing cubes got me a to become an unconditionnal cube user.

Ps not sure about undies.. There is such a thung as white or very light shorts. ..tennis anyone ... His advice and info seems like what John Lawrence , best CD we ever had, did for the Baltic cruise.

Archived