Rick Steves on a Princess Cruise

ContemporaryTraveler

I think we need a younger, more "with it" version of Rick Steves. He always seems so corny and dorky. I do give him props for his show and the content though.

Now Rudy Maxa was awesome! That man knew how to travel in style. I miss seeing his shows immensely.

Rudy Maxa is still taping shows for public television. He has a 10-yr contract that runs till May 2018. His shows are also aired every weekend on AXIS TV (the station owned by Mark Cuban). We watch them all the time. He's on just after Rick Steves, who, in turn, follows Baltic Coasts and Alps From Above.

Looks like he is on the Emerald.

He said he is doing a dry run to see how his new book, Northern European Cruise Ports, works for cruise line passengers. I bought the book for our Baltic cruise next year on the Royal Princess. Amazon is already discounting it at $17.88.

As for a condensed version, he actually encourages people to rip pages out of the book and bring them along during the day. The book is long as it includes cities in Western Europe (such as Dover, Southampton, London, Paris, cities in Belgium, and Amsterdam where many begin their cruises and spend pre or post cruise time.

I am sure Steves' entrance into cruise ports and cruises the past three years doesn't sit well with many of the snobs who follow him who hate the very idea of a cruise. However, Steves help to cruisers in Europe is appreciated. I have always used his books for pre and post cruise cities such as Paris and Barcelona. As far as tours and days in port go, there is no subsitute for the ports of call boards on Cruise Critic.

If Rick doesnt mind a move north a few miles and then east by a few 1000 km, he might consider running for Toronto mayor...there may be An opening soon :rolleyes:

Yup, it sure looks as if you need a new one out there lol !!!

I think we need a younger, more "with it" version of Rick Steves. He always seems so corny and dorky. I do give him props for his show and the content though.

Now Rudy Maxa was awesome! That man knew how to travel in style. I miss seeing his shows immensely.

He may be dorky and corny, but 1) his guides and audio tours are great and 2) his position on pot legalization is so sensible.

I used his audio guides in Rome, Florence and Venice. He and his associates came across just like they do on his shows.

Jack

He may be dorky and corny, but 1) his guides and audio tours are great and 2) his position on pot legalization is so sensible.

I used his audio guides in Rome, Florence and Venice. He and his associates came across just like they do on his shows.

Jack

I agree with you on all points!

His knowledge of the arts and passion to pass that knowledge along to his readers/viewers is also wonderful. BTW, he plays piano very well.

Rudy Maxa is still taping shows for public television. He has a 10-yr contract that runs till May 2018. His shows are also aired every weekend on AXIS TV (the station owned by Mark Cuban). We watch them all the time. He's on just after Rick Steves, who, in turn, follows Baltic Coasts and Alps From Above.

Thank you so much for that information! I'll definitely find that station and watch him now. SO glad he's still on the air! He brings such style to travel and his shows don't have those uncomfortable moments that look & feel like he's forcing himself on the locals.

My only real gripe with Steves is his dissing tour groups

while he frequently uses a tour guide during his walkabouts.

I don't know about y'all, but I can't afford to hire a personal guide.

Steves has led many tour groups on minibus trips in Europe. Maybe he just doesn't like the larger tour groups. That makes him no different than many cruise critic participants.

My big complaint when it comes to Steves is his attitude toward Trip Advisor, calling most of the information "worthless". While individual posts or reviews might be worthless, Tripadvisor, can uncover hidden gems for travelers, and that's something only people like Steves believe they can do.

My only real gripe with Steves is his dissing tour groups

while he frequently uses a tour guide during his walkabouts.

I don't know about y'all, but I can't afford to hire a personal guide.

Several years ago our Globus guide said she knew him from his time working as a Globus tour guide decades earlier. So apparently he learned his trade leading larger groups & I'm not paying a premium price to experience many of the same places as his tours.

I used a tour guide he recommend in Cannes for a shore excursion with others on the ship in a van. She was excellent & no more expensive than other guides. She was surprised to learn that Rick had recommended her even though she had never been in contact with him or his tour company.

Watched a show he did on how they film/travel to do the show a couple of years ago. There's only 3 people - a cameraman, a set-up/editor/writer guy and himself. Sometimes they meet up with local experts, but it is a small operation. They also travel very quickly and he says he really does only use a carry-on.

He was at the Washington DC travel show last March, had a huge crowd, and he is promoting a book on cruise ports in Europe. We stayed for a while, and I would not listen to him again, using fowl language which was unecessary.

I saw today where Rick posted that the crew when in each port have a lounge for them to use and they have low cost internet. And he stated that cruisers were able to use it. Anyone got information about this????

From his blog today he stated that they use an internet café onshore to avoid cost of internet on ship. So it could be anywhere around the port area and is sometimes free or may have a cost to use.

He was at the Washington DC travel show last March, had a huge crowd, and he is promoting a book on cruise ports in Europe. We stayed for a while, and I would not listen to him again, using fowl language which was unecessary.

He shouldn't be discussing poultry in public.

From his blog today he stated that they use an internet café onshore to avoid cost of internet on ship. So it could be anywhere around the port area and is sometimes free or may have a cost to use.

We tried to do this in most of the Baltic ports last month, but so many people were using the Net that it was hard to connect and, if you could, you got kicked off quickly. Same for the Wifi on the HOHO buses. One driver told us that only 10 people can connect at a time. :(

Just was on the Emerald and it was nice to meet Rick. We are big Canadian fans. Our guide who we had in Germany was meeting him after we got back to the ship. So we got to meet him as well plus get a few pictures. I was just disappointed his new book did not come out on cruising the Baltic's until after we left Canada. But I did use another one of his books and found it very helpful.

Following the crew has always been the best advice for finding free/cheap Internet in port. Just ask your waiter where the best place is to find WiFi (some of them call it weefee, which is now what we call it at home ;)).

That' what we do! Sasha (of CD staff) was always great about this.

Archived