Active and fit - but too old to do anything?

5012nk

I'm here to rant. My Dh and I are cruising on the Independence on November 15 and are trying to book some excursions thru RCCL - specifically a Segway tour on San Juan and a Rainforest tour in St. Kitts .

Both have an upper age limit of 65. My husband is a very fit and active 71 year old. I can't book these online through the RCCL site because of the age limit. I've called RCCL and they gave me the shore excursions email to contact them. I have done so but have not received any response (argh!!).

It seems that if you are over 65 there are limits for excursions - basically ride on a bus through town. We are both active (work out every day) and are not yet ready for this type of excursion.

While I understand the tour operators need to restrict or limit because of liability issues but shouldn't it be based on physical ability?

For example the Rainforest tour has an age limit between 5 and 65. So they will allow a 5 year old to go, but not my active 71 year old.

For the Segway tour there is a weight limit - between 100 and 250 pounds as well as an upper age limit (65). So you can be a 250 pound 10 year old and they will allow it, but not my 160 pound healthy husband who rides motorcycles.

We would never sign up for something we did not feel we could do. Now we are having to look at independent tour operators for these.

Not happy with RCCL's shore excursion lack of response to my email.

Has anyone received a waiver on the age limit for excursions?

Nancy

Being on the wrong side of 65, I totally understand your upset. All I can say is that it's got to be a liability insurance issue and they have to have cutoff ages somewhere. Don't think they're about to issue physicals to everyone who signs up for an excursion - and who would be liable if they are wrong in their assessments? You might find a private operator with fewer restrictions.

Hi Nancy,

It probably has to do with liability insurance. But truthfully, you are much better off booking your own tours regardless. You will get a much better and more personalized experience on your own. They usually pack the ship tours with a lot of people. A private guide will cater the tour to your wants and not have to deal with a big busload of people. As far as the segway tour goes, just call the company directly and you will probably get it cheaper.

I always use the ship excursion list as a list of places to stay away from. It has always worked out for us.

Have a great trip!!

Neda

There are private excursions to the rain forest in St. Kitts. We went with Greg's Safaris with 4 in my party over 65 (my parents and in-laws). It was strenuous and my father-in-law struggled a bit. However, I believe that all enjoyed the hike. I agree that turning 65 should not sentence you to a tour bus. It just is not fair!

We will be on that same sailing and I too noted the 65 age limit for the Segways and was puzzled. I'm under that limit (barely) and we booked that excursion but cannot understand why a healthy 65+ person would not be able to handle a Segway. I also noticed in St. Kitts there's a zipline excursion (which we also booked) and it has no age limit, but does have weight limits. I would have though the zipline was more strenuous than a Segway (due to hiking between the lines) but I guess not. :confused: FWIW, I agree with the OP and while I do understand liability issues, wouldn't a signed waiver cover the operator? :confused::confused:

It may be very inconvenient but I can understand where RCCL is coming from. Even though they use independent contractors for the excursions if there was an issue RCCL could be brought into any legal action (Deep pockets).

Do some research and try to find an excursion that will accommodate you and your husband.

Lots of car rental companies will not rent to anyone under 25, due to the high probabilities on an accident, no matter the individual skill of the driver. This is the same, just at the other end of the age spectrum.

Oh my! I've never noticed such a thing (probably because I usually book private tours). Being weeks away from age 74, I would be prohibited from about everything exciting, I guess; yet I run 5Ks (and win!), walk long distances every day, and always opt for the active tours. (Also never see the inside of an elevator on the ship!!:D)

I do understand, however, what others are saying about the liability. So sorry.

Kathy

I'm with you. Our group of 4 included only one person that was 65 or under. We all wanted to do a snorkel from the beach but the maximum age was 65. There was a snorkel from a boat that had a higher age limit. We have a boat and live on the water. I know that walking into the water is much easier than getting in and out of the water from a boat. Go figure their rules.

We did the Rainforest tour in St Kitts, I was 64 DW was 61, at the time it was listed as moderate in difficulty but has been changed to strenuous. It was a great tour, but difficult as it had just rained and the walking surface was very slick. We had a few people only do half of the loop.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I went to the tour desk. A) I am in better shape than most 45 year olds. B) I am probably more active than many 35 yeqar olds.

Said I will sign a waiver, I want that tour.

Bottom line, rep did not make me sign a waiver, and we got the tour we wanted.

I can understand their limitations...I will forever remember a guy and his wife, both vastly exceeding 350 lbs. Took the jet ski/snorkel trip....could not both get on the jet ski.....operator endured a non-stop tongue lashing.

Next time we were on the same itinerary....guess what....there was a weight limit on the tour!

So, if you really want it, head to the tour desk....have an "adult" conversation, sell them on you!

I just checked the Segway Tour website in San Juan and it is they, not RCL, who have set the age limit. I also checked the rainforest tour but no success either way. As one who is approaching 65, it will irritate me, to no end, that I may be refused this enjoyment just because of my age. I, too, am fit and active and understand some people may not be able to participate, many of whom are far younger. I would gladly sign a waiver and do the things I know I can. This is a terrbile way to treat peole.:mad:

I'm here to rant. My Dh and I are cruising on the Independence on November 15 and are trying to book some excursions thru RCCL - specifically a Segway tour on San Juan and a Rainforest tour in St. Kitts .

Both have an upper age limit of 65. My husband is a very fit and active 71 year old. I can't book these online through the RCCL site because of the age limit. I've called RCCL and they gave me the shore excursions email to contact them. I have done so but have not received any response (argh!!).

It seems that if you are over 65 there are limits for excursions - basically ride on a bus through town. We are both active (work out every day) and are not yet ready for this type of excursion.

While I understand the tour operators need to restrict or limit because of liability issues but shouldn't it be based on physical ability?

For example the Rainforest tour has an age limit between 5 and 65. So they will allow a 5 year old to go, but not my active 71 year old.

For the Segway tour there is a weight limit - between 100 and 250 pounds as well as an upper age limit (65). So you can be a 250 pound 10 year old and they will allow it, but not my 160 pound healthy husband who rides motorcycles.

We would never sign up for something we did not feel we could do. Now we are having to look at independent tour operators for these.

Nancy

Nancy, this must be really frustrating for you and your husband! It is unfortunate that you both are probably "off the charts" for the actuarial tables, and don't fit in with the typical over 65-er. Business being what it is, RCI's insurance carriers follow the norms, I guess.

I agree that you should seek outside tours to get your adventure-fix, and I wish you continued health and happy cruising.

Teddie

I saw the age limit on the Segway excursion in San Juan and told my husband about it since he turned 65 about two months ago. We both laughed about it since it was our first experience with age limitations in a long time. He was surprised someone would think he could no longer drive a Segway.

Someone suggested using a private company for this type of excursion and that seems like a possibility if ship's excursions have age limits. Age limitations are hard to accept, whatever age you are.

Nancy

RCI is basically just a ticket broker for shore excursions, any age/weight restrictions are policies of the tour operators not RCI.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It seems to be an RCI thing. If it is the contractors RCI must be using different contractors. My experience:

Did a Santa Barbara segway tour April 2011 at age 68 with Crystal

Denied a San Juan segway tour May 2011 at age 68 on RCI

Enjoyed a Samana rainforest hike February 2013 at age 69 on RCI knowing I would never be allowed on the tour again,

Booked for a Barbados segway tour December 2013 at age 70 on HAL.

Roy

Americans love to sue. Therefore, companies take extra care to try and avoid those situations. (Company's protection via Waivers of liabilty can to slippery at best......try defending the signed waiver infront of a jury when an elderly person is injuried.

Is this "fair", probably not.

My husband did the zip line on Labadee at age 75. I never noticed if there was an age limit. Maybe he was not supposed to be on it??:rolleyes:

I don't think there is an age limit on the Oasis/Allure zip line. My dad did it at 86.

I went to the tour desk. A) I am in better shape than most 45 year olds. B) I am probably more active than many 35 yeqar olds.

Said I will sign a waiver, I want that tour.

Bottom line, rep did not make me sign a waiver, and we got the tour we wanted.

I can understand their limitations...I will forever remember a guy and his wife, both vastly exceeding 350 lbs. Took the jet ski/snorkel trip....could not both get on the jet ski.....operator endured a non-stop tongue lashing.

Next time we were on the same itinerary....guess what....there was a weight limit on the tour!

So, if you really want it, head to the tour desk....have an "adult" conversation, sell them on you!

We want to book all our excursions ahead of time. Last time when we were on the Liberty and waited till we were on board to book excursions, all of the ones we wanted were already sold out. We were told that most people book online ahead of time.

Nancy

Archived