Live from the AMACerto

beechfor

We were on the AmaCerto in April and absolutely loved it! I am reading your posts with interest, as we would like to book this itinerary on the same ship or a sister ship. The crew was fantastic (Miklos, Catalan, Sabi, and of course, Captain Tom. Is Justin still the CD? We took 2 bike tours in Holland and loved them both, though it was very windy. Can't wait to sail the family again.

We found the crew fantastic as well. Usually had one of two different waiters in the dining room and they quickly learned what you liked to drink. We had Rachel as our cruise manager. She was excellent. She was leaving the ship with us and doing the next couple sailings in France. She mentioned that cruise managers don't stay with the ships but rather are moved around all the time so that they can learn all of the rivers. She said it was fairly hard on them.

I am enjoying your reports - thank you!

My husband and I are sailing on AMA Certo in November for the wine-themed cruise. We are making our own arrangements in Prague and using the AMA transfer like you did. Any suggestions?

We are not fans of organized tours but if the docks are not convenient to sites, does it make sense to skip them and go off on our own? Weather permitting (mid November??) we would love to just walk around and bike.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We are glad we used the AMA transfer from Prague as it gave us a chance to see Regensburg. We stayed at an apartment in Prague that was very close to the Old Town Square so couldn't have asked for a better location. We did a walking tour of Prague through Prague All Inclusive which was excellent and made our own way to Terezin on another day.

With the exception of Vienna, the boat docks close to the center of town in the ports. Many had organized walking tours and we found most to be an excellent orientation to the city. Budapest was a bus tour and covered both sides of the river. If you only have the one day there then I would recommend it but if you are staying longer you might get your own guide. We did a couple of the bike tours and I know the guide in Passau mentioned that they only do the tours until October. The bikes might still be available for you to take out on your own if the weather is good.

We did a wine cruise with AMA in 2011 in November and it was fabulous!

In Budapest we stayed at Marriott Millenium Apartments and it was a perfect choice. In Prague we stayed at Barcelo Old Town Praha, which we had discovered on a previous visit. We would definitely stay at both again.

We used the Marriott Millennium apartments as well and found the location to be excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
Friday was our day in Vienna and it was a long, full day. It started with a walking tour in town. We were docked aways from the city centre which required a bus ride to get there. Traffic going in and throughout the day was horrible. We had chosen the active walkers group and although our guide knew that he moved at the pace of a turtle. The active group was supposed to allow you extra free time at the end but we arrived after other groups. We didn't like our guide and came away from the tour with a negative experince and therefor didn't think very favourably of Vienna.

We took the boat' s tour to Schonbrunn in the afternoon. We had originally planned to do this on our own but after deciding to go to the concert in the evening we thought the timimg might not work out to get to the early dinner. We had a great tour of the palace and a great commentary on the ride back to the boat.

Although I am not a classical music lover, I am glad I went to the concert in the evening. It was something to experience in the music capital of the world.

This morning was free and it was nice to sit on the sun deck as we sailed to Bratislava. The afternoon was the walking tour of the Old Town and then free time in the city. The city was busy as there was an annual folk festival happening. It was nice to see performances of song and dance as well as shop the booths of local crafts.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Was the boat's tour to Schonbrunn conducted by the boat's guide inside the Palace or by someone else?

Was the boat's tour to Schonbrunn conducted by the boat's guide inside the Palace or by someone else?

The tour was given by the guide that brought us from the boat not by a Palace tour guide. She took us through a number of rooms, giving an excellent description and we had about an hour of free time at the end.

• 9 months later...
We have cruised twice with AMA in late November and bike tours were offered on both.

Caviargal-

Im doing some searching and digging up this old thread to ask you a couple of questions!

First, I was searching for Marriott Millennium, and this popped up. We are considering this...the regular Marriott is 1000, the Sofitel my TA booked is 1300, the sofitel with AMA is $1000 and this is less than $500. (I did the euro conversions) I don't need fancy, and a view is nice, but not for that price and when we are touring day in and day out, not sitting in the room. Sounds like you stayed here. Did you like it? Find it convenient for touring? Was there a market nearby to buy food for the kitchen (I love the idea of a kitchen!!)

Next question related to this old thread: We are traveling AMAPrima, Budapest to Bucharest (Black Sea voyage) If I recall, I think you did this one?? My question is I just paid my final and logged onto AMA to discover that the "optional tours" are all "foodie" tours (making yoghurt in Bulgaria, brandy tasting etc) That's fine, but one of the reasons we picked AMA was to take some bike tours. Your comments here on this thread answered one of my questions - Is mid Sept too late for bike tours (too cold) but clearly you had them in November! Are they only offered once on board? For some reason I expected they would be capacity controlled and only offered ahead of time. Do you think this means they have no organized bike tours of the various cities? :(

Anyway, those are my questions, since there was a thread discussing some of this I figured I'd hop onto it and ask...of course anyone's opinions are appreciated!!:D

Caviargal-

Im doing some searching and digging up this old thread to ask you a couple of questions!

First, I was searching for Marriott Millennium, and this popped up. We are considering this...the regular Marriott is 1000, the Sofitel my TA booked is 1300, the sofitel with AMA is $1000 and this is less than $500. (I did the euro conversions) I don't need fancy, and a view is nice, but not for that price and when we are touring day in and day out, not sitting in the room. Sounds like you stayed here. Did you like it? Find it convenient for touring? Was there a market nearby to buy food for the kitchen (I love the idea of a kitchen!!)

Next question related to this old thread: We are traveling AMAPrima, Budapest to Bucharest (Black Sea voyage) If I recall, I think you did this one?? My question is I just paid my final and logged onto AMA to discover that the "optional tours" are all "foodie" tours (making yoghurt in Bulgaria, brandy tasting etc) That's fine, but one of the reasons we picked AMA was to take some bike tours. Your comments here on this thread answered one of my questions - Is mid Sept too late for bike tours (too cold) but clearly you had them in November! Are they only offered once on board? For some reason I expected they would be capacity controlled and only offered ahead of time. Do you think this means they have no organized bike tours of the various cities? :(

Anyway, those are my questions, since there was a thread discussing some of this I figured I'd hop onto it and ask...of course anyone's opinions are appreciated!!:D

We cruised with AMA in April of last year for the Tulip Time cruise and went on 2 bike tours when it was really cold and windy - we were wearing every layer we could but enjoyed it immensely!

Caviargal-

We very much enjoyed our stay at Millenium and would choose the hotel again should we return to Budapest. It is in the heart of everything. We went to the large public market to purchase food as well as some smaller shops in town for wine, etc.

Rooms were clean and very comfortable. Good beds. Nice cafe across the street for breakfast. We had several apartments and everyone was happy.

Free washer and dryer on every floor as well.

We have not done the Black Sea itinerary with AMA. Rhine and Moselle (mid November and several bike tours offered) , Tulip Time (this April and bike tours were offered) and Budapest to Prague (late November and several bike tours offered) . I believe these are now all offered as Limited Edition tours.

Why not call your TA or AMA and ask directly?

We cruised with AMA in April of last year for the Tulip Time cruise and went on 2 bike tours when it was really cold and windy - we were wearing every layer we could but enjoyed it immensely!

We very much enjoyed our stay at Millenium and would choose the hotel again should we return to Budapest. It is in the heart of everything. We went to the large public market to purchase food as well as some smaller shops in town for wine, etc.

Rooms were clean and very comfortable. Good beds. Nice cafe across the street for breakfast. We had several apartments and everyone was happy.

Free washer and dryer on every floor as well.

We have not done the Black Sea itinerary with AMA. Rhine and Moselle (mid November and several bike tours offered) , Tulip Time (this April and bike tours were offered) and Budapest to Prague (late November and several bike tours offered) . I believe these are now all offered as Limited Edition tours.

Why not call your TA or AMA and ask directly?

Thanks for you speedy replies!! I just went back to "subscribe" so I could see if anyone saw my queries, and here you are already!!

Well, this is disappointing about the Limited Edition Tours...there are only 3 listed on my page when I log in :( Do any of you think it's likely they will add more in a few weeks, closer to sailing?

We were really hopeful about this, and it's kind of starting off on the wrong foot already. So we are stuck with the big group city (bus) tours? I know my husband will be disappointed about this...this may be a first and a last river cruise if this doesn't work out.

As most of you have seen, I've spent more than a year researching this,;) how did this get by me?...the itinerary even says "bike tour" in the brochure on at least a couple of ports. (from the brochure: Mohacs OR Mohacs guided bicycle tour Belgrade OR guided bicycle tour) We weren't expecting the Tour de France, but we prefer to tour by bicycle... and it appeared in at least 2 ports we could do that. I guess its the "idea" they want to sell and that most people want to buy, we were hoping to actually "do" it!;) I may call and see what they say...( the TA thing is awk right now, my TA is having a baby and I have a fill in, but I feel like I don't want rattle her with this, if it was a major deal, cancellation etc, I'd be more proactive at the TA, but well, you understand!)

Maybe you can just sign up on board, but then why did they tell us we could sign up with the Limited Edition tours? I hope so, or as I said I will have a very disappointed hubby...we've mostly done Europe independently and this was our first toe dip into groups in Europe, it's gotta go well:D

Thanks for you speedy replies!! I just went back to "subscribe" so I could see if anyone saw my queries, and here you are already!!

Well, this is disappointing about the Limited Edition Tours...there are only 3 listed on my page when I log in :( Do any of you think it's likely they will add more in a few weeks, closer to sailing?

We were really hopeful about this, and it's kind of starting off on the wrong foot already. So we are stuck with the big group city (bus) tours? I know my husband will be disappointed about this...this may be a first and a last river cruise if this doesn't work out.

As most of you have seen, I've spent more than a year researching this,;) how did this get by me?...the itinerary even says "bike tour" in the brochure on at least a couple of ports. (from the brochure: Mohacs OR Mohacs guided bicycle tour Belgrade OR guided bicycle tour) We weren't expecting the Tour de France, but we prefer to tour by bicycle... and it appeared in at least 2 ports we could do that. I guess its the "idea" they want to sell and that most people want to buy, we were hoping to actually "do" it!;) I may call and see what they say...( the TA thing is awk right now, my TA is having a baby and I have a fill in, but I feel like I don't want rattle her with this, if it was a major deal, cancellation etc, I'd be more proactive at the TA, but well, you understand!)

Maybe you can just sign up on board, but then why did they tell us we could sign up with the Limited Edition tours? I hope so, or as I said I will have a very disappointed hubby...we've mostly done Europe independently and this was our first toe dip into groups in Europe, it's gotta go well:D

I can understand your disappointment. I second the suggestion to call or email AMA. I wanted some additional info from them and it took 2 emails but I did get answers.

As for the bike tours, could they be standard on a first come first served basis and not something you sign up for until after you board? Hopefully you will get an answer from AMA and let us know.

I took all of your advice, and called. They are always so helpful!! I asked about the bike tours and was told that they don't have those available for online pre booking, she told me that they will be available to book once on board...whew!

There are just the 3 limited edition tours that I saw for the Black Sea voyage. I think I read somewhere that these are being offered primarily because so many folks are repeat cruisers that they need to offer something special for those who have seen all the sights! These are well organized on the website, it tells you what the tour is and a description of the city tour you would "miss" if you choose the limited edition.

We have never been to these places, so all of it is new to us! I am really looking forward to those places where we can do bike tours! Even if we do 2-3 city tours with the group, I know that it will make all the difference seeing some of the sights from the from the bicycle on some days! I'm doing my pre packing now and have put in plenty of cool weather biking items just in case.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Edited by Familygoboston

I took all of your advice, and called. They are always so helpful!! I asked about the bike tours and was told that they don't have those available for online pre booking, she told me that they will be available to book once on board...whew!

Great news :) and I have always found them to be helpful when I call.

Glad to hear your good news and to know that AMA was so helpful. Gives me a good feeling about our fall cruise:)

Purduemom, where are you headed and when? Will we see you over there in Europe? We are on AMAPrima Sept 23 in Budapest.

Great news :) and I have always found them to be helpful when I call.

Thanks Cavairgal, you've been very helpful with all my research!:D

I'm sure I'll have a hindred more questions before we leave;)

One thing I noticed today- while the fine print of the AMA invoice says it will cost 70 bucks for a visa for Turkey, when I did the e-visa, it only cost us 20 pp. These e-visas are so easy!:D

Your final document package will contain all the information you will need in great detail. It is a bit confusing when you try to sort out all of the options offered by AMA: standard tours, sometimes more than one, (with varying levels of physical demand - active, gentle and late risers), bike tours, optional tours - extra cost, and Limited Edition. Also, the times in port will be included and there is a booklet with information on the ports. One of the reasons we chose AMA was the variety of tours, and we are pleased with the selection.

As I had pointed out in another thread, I would have preferred to have this information earlier in the planning stage. We did sign up for two Limited Edition tours and we will DIY some activities.

I have not heard of the bike tours turning anyone away, but I suppose it us possible. The Limited Edition tours are the only ones that can be reserved prior to the cruise, and none of those are bike tours.

One of the features of river cruising (and differences from ocean cruising) is that you can (and should imho) be laid back about the experience. Every port will have included tours -- on some lines like AMA there will be choices of activity level, bikes, and even different itineraries -- that cover almost all interests. So it isn't like ocean cruising where you have research the reliable private tours or settle for the overpriced ship's tours. Do just enough research to know which of the options you think you want, reserve the limited edition tours -- and then relax, listen to the Cruise Director's suggestions, and find out what your new friends on board plan to do. [This goes completely against my grain, but I found it very liberating!]

Your final document package will contain all the information you will need in great detail. It is a bit confusing when you try to sort out all of the options offered by AMA: standard tours, sometimes more than one, (with varying levels of physical demand - active, gentle and late risers), bike tours, optional tours - extra cost, and Limited Edition. Also, the times in port will be included and there is a booklet with information on the ports. One of the reasons we chose AMA was the variety of tours, and we are pleased with the selection.

As I had pointed out in another thread, I would have preferred to have this information earlier in the planning stage. We did sign up for two Limited Edition tours and we will DIY some activities.

I have not heard of the bike tours turning anyone away, but I suppose it us possible. The Limited Edition tours are the only ones that can be reserved prior to the cruise, and none of those are bike tours.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that! I agree that while they might not be able to "promise" all the offerings would be available a year latter when you book, at least knowing the options earlier would really help! I tried to book a well regarded Budapest guide, who is mentioned frequently on CC, and she was booked 9 mos in advance! I was able to get one of her protégés, Magdi,who has already been phenomenal and we haven't even gone yet! :D So knowing what mix of independents and ships tours you would want ahead of time would be really helpful!

That said, I thought the Limited Edition Tours sounded very interesting, particular for anyone interested in food and the culture of food production! I'd do them all of I could;)

I haven't heard that the bike tours will get to capacity on other reviews and I think a lot of folks don't usually bike when they are already feeling "active" just with amount of walking that goes on! I had heard they would be "limited Edition" tours and when I didn't see them I worried I had picked the wrong itinerary!

We are really looking forward to this, and we realize the nature of the places we are going means that sometimes there will be bus rides since things are not as slickly developed as some of the Western Danube ports, but that is a big part of what we hope to experience!

I do have one question about your final documents- We are on our own in Budapest so we don't have AMA transfers, how does it describe getting to the boat on embarkation day...is there an address? I'm thinking I will either walk from the Marriott or have the driver we are using for a our. Budapest time get us and drop us off, but I don't have any idea how they express where the actual ship is and I anticipate there will be several!

I'm very anxious to hear from you after your trip, I do hope you'll post a bit about your experience! Have a wonderful time!

One of the features of river cruising (and differences from ocean cruising) is that you can (and should imho) be laid back about the experience. Every port will have included tours -- on some lines like AMA there will be choices of activity level, bikes, and even different itineraries -- that cover almost all interests. So it isn't like ocean cruising where you have research the reliable private tours or settle for the overpriced ship's tours. Do just enough research to know which of the options you think you want, reserve the limited edition tours -- and then relax, listen to the Cruise Director's suggestions, and find out what your new friends on board plan to do. [This goes completely against my grain, but I found it very liberating!]

I hear what you are saying, and certainly the pace of this trip makes it so you have to sit back and watch the scenery go by, but on the other hand, I don't want to go all this way and discover I missed something I didn't know was there and really would have loved to experience! As manic as I am about planning, I am much more zen when I actually travel! :D

Purduemom, where are you headed and when? Will we see you over there in Europe? We are on AMAPrima Sept 23 in Budapest.

We are doing the Romantic Danube in November beginning in Prague on our own with AMA transfers to the ship. We end in Budapest and have booked a private guide to supplement the AMA tour. Still several months away but I'm hoping the time passes quickly.

They have a finite number of bikes so it is possible.

And the Limited Edition Tours on our last AMA cruise in April DID include bike tours.

That said, I thought the Limited Edition Tours sounded very interesting, particular for anyone interested in food and the culture of food production! I'd do them all of I could;)

I haven't heard that the bike tours will get to capacity on other reviews and I think a lot of folks don't usually bike when they are already feeling "active" just with amount of walking that goes on! I had heard they would be "limited Edition" tours and when I didn't see them I worried I had picked the wrong itinerary!

I do have one question about your final documents- We are on our own in Budapest so we don't have AMA transfers, how does it describe getting to the boat on embarkation day...is there an address? I'm thinking I will either walk from the Marriott or have the driver we are using for a our. Budapest time get us and drop us off, but I don't have any idea how they express where the actual ship is and I anticipate there will be several!

We are interested in food and wine and opt for those tours most of the time.

We found the bike tours had high participation on our cruises where there was a larger number of 30-50 somethings. The wine theme cruises and Christmas market cruises skewed younger, which we enjoyed.

We walked from Marriott Executive Apartments to the boat with our luggage. Some older folks in our group took a taxi, which was a short ride. Your documents will have the address where the boat is docked and we actually took a walk that morning to check out the location and decide if we wanted to walk.

We are doing the Romantic Danube in November beginning in Prague on our own with AMA transfers to the ship. We end in Budapest and have booked a private guide to supplement the AMA tour. Still several months away but I'm hoping the time passes quickly.

I should have a review of our time in Budapest up here on CC before you go:D

Thanks, Caviargal, Im glad to hear we can walk to the ship, our luggage rolls and we don't usually bring too much, so it should be manageable, as long as it's clear where it will be!

I have to interject here to give a raving review for the Marriott Millennium Court. We actually stayed there June 1-3 at the conclusion of our river cruise. We were sad to leave our comfortable cabins aboard AmaDolce, that is until we saw our rooms at the Marriott! They were so spacious and comfortable! It was like moving into a mansion after being on the river boat! The front desk ladies were also wonderful. There was no "concierge" per se, but they made dinner reservations for us and gave us advice when we asked. The hotel is very close to a stop on the blue line, and one on the yellow line, as well as the #2 tram. It is so close to where the AmaDolce docked we actually took two trips (walking) from the boat to the hotel to bring my Grandparents bags for them. It took us less than an hour to walk to and from the hotel twice, and check-in! And it was so affordable we couldn't believe the price. Four of us shared the two-bedroom apartment and it was around $50 per person, per night. Can't beat that!