Smoking Allowed on Balconies in Australia?

Hi there!

I've just been reading that some Royal Caribbean ships allow smoking on starboard-side balconies. As we have a balcony booked on that side to the South Pacific, I just want to find out if this is a fact or not whilst I've got the opportunity to change cabins if need be.

Thanks! Gae

As we've only experienced a port side balcony before, we thought we'd try the "other" side this time but if we're going to possibily experience passive smoking whilst out on our balcony, we'll change back whilst they still have some vacancies on the port side.

Hi there!

I've just been reading that some Royal Caribbean ships allow smoking on starboard-side balconies. As we have a balcony booked on that side to the South Pacific, I just want to find out if this is a fact or not whilst I've got the opportunity to change cabins if need be.

Thanks! Gae

Gae smoking is allowed on the balconies both sides so it doesnt matter which side you take

Unless something has changed recently or I am very mistaken, from my experience on Rhapsody & Radiance (DW & I am are non-smokers) RC ships in Australia allow smoking on all balconies, not just starboard. The 'public' smoking areas are starboard on pool deck and promenade deck. No inside smoking allowed.

rkmw - too quick :-)

Neil

Thanks you all for your replies! We didn't encounter any passive smoke on our last balcony, in fact, I didn't even give it a thought until I read part of a thread here on Cruise Critic! I guess it's all in the lap of the gods whether or not we have a smoker on the balcony next to us!

Wonder what we could do if it's impacting on the enjoyment of our balcony. Just knock on the next door and tell them politely I guess but sometimes they're so defensive of their habits that it might just aggravate the situation.

Oh well, I'll just think positively and hope that our neighbours will be non-smokers!

Thanks you all for your replies! We didn't encounter any passive smoke on our last balcony, in fact, I didn't even give it a thought until I read part of a thread here on Cruise Critic! I guess it's all in the lap of the gods whether or not we have a smoker on the balcony next to us!

Wonder what we could do if it's impacting on the enjoyment of our balcony. Just knock on the next door and tell them politely I guess but sometimes they're so defensive of their habits that it might just aggravate the situation.

Oh well, I'll just think positively and hope that our neighbours will be non-smokers!

Gae you couldnt knock on anyone's door about their smoking just in case you got a mouthful of cheek, they are not doing nothing wrong as they have paid for the balcony

i doubt very much a smoker is going to spend all their time on the balcony but until they change the rule they can if they want to

Exactly, it would be similar if you were a teetotaller and they were drinking on the balcony and the smell of the alcohol was wafting your way. Legal no matter how annoying.

However, I think such a small proportion of people smoke nowadays that the chances would be small that it would affect you in any way.:D

Still about 20%.

It does happen so I wouldn't discount the probability.

Yes, well the optimist says the chances are 4 times more likely that the neighbours are non smoking, 20 vs 80 per cent.

I honestly do not know why anyone would or can afford to smoke now with the prices so high (and going to go higher as announced at budget).:D

Yes, well the optimist says the chances are 4 times more likely that the neighbours are non smoking, 20 vs 80 per cent.

I honestly do not know why anyone would or can afford to smoke now with the prices so high (and going to go higher as announced at budget).:D

its a habit and hard to give up....same as drinkers, another habit but a worse one than smoking

Gae you couldnt knock on anyone's door about their smoking just in case you got a mouthful of cheek, they are not doing nothing wrong as they have paid for the balcony

Yes, I guess so! Still I would have paid for my balcony to enjoy as well - anyway I hope that the neighbours fall into the 80% of non-smokers!

Yes, I guess so! Still I would have paid for my balcony to enjoy as well - anyway I hope that the neighbours fall into the 80% of non-smokers!

Yes, for your sake I do as well.

As a matter of interest I have found this http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4125.0main+features3320Jan%202013

Apparently the smoking rate is around 17.3% with male rates higher than those of females. When we look at the age demographic that fits closer to those that cruise, these rates drop down towards 10%, so the news is getting better for you Gae:D

Smoking is allowed on all RCL balconies. We didn't find many smokers at all and that was on a Med Cruise where I believe the rate of smoking is high. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thank you to everyone for your reassurance on this issue!

(Some content snipped)

I think you might be able to talk to the smoker next door and ask if you could come to some arrangement with them, so that both of you can enjoy the balcony you have paid for.

When my DH was a smoker, he would always try to accommodate non-smokers who asked nicely. But if someone "told " him, when he was doing somethign that was allowed, he would not react nearly as favourably!

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

I think you might be able to talk to the smoker next door and ask if you could come to some arrangement with them, so that both of you can enjoy the balcony you have paid for.

When my DH was a smoker, he would always try to accommodate non-smokers who asked nicely. But if someone "told " him, when he was doing somethign that was allowed, he would not react nearly as favourably!

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Sounds fair enough, we all know the saying about sugar and vinegar.:D

Hi there!

Thanks! Gae

The topic title is about 'Smoking Allowed on Balconies in Australia? 'while the post is above. :D

Couldn't help but reply to this one

But get sick and tired of people whingeing about smokers and carrying on I know its not good for you and you don't want it blown in your space but

They have paid the same amount of money as you to enjoy a balcony cabin which means they can do whatever they want so if you don't like it go with another cruise line that doesn't allow smoking on balcony's

In my experience I would say 99.9% of smokers are considerate of non smokers but to post a thread and stress about smokers well?

By the way I am a non smoker but I do not worry if the neighbour lights up

I still hope you enjoy your cruise regardless of what eventuates

Archived